• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse the dumb question, but anyone using the PSVR with a projector setup? I don't have a TV so want to make sure it works before I get one. I don't know if any of the leads or the camera are meant to pass through the tv or if you need a certain amount of light for the camera to work?

I use a projector for my PS4 gaming. Even though to use my PSVR it's a chore(because of my set up) I've had little to no issues. I'm even facing my projector and sitting in it's light when I need the second screen with company. You can see my posts here as I've not got much of the wobble or drift people are talking about.
Having a projector I didn't have to do anything different than someone with a TV would. You should be good.

Excuse the dumb question, but anyone using the PSVR with a projector setup? I don't have a TV so want to make sure it works before I get one. I don't know if any of the leads or the camera are meant to pass through the tv or if you need a certain amount of light for the camera to work?

No issues with my setup

bumpkin

Played the first level after the tutorial on tethered last night, I had a load go into despair and jump off a cliff top, then realised I didn't have enough food. Lol
I hate that once they go into despair there's no way of changing their minds about walking off a cliff.

I always prioritize food gathering when I start a new level to avoid that very situation. I had a few Peeps off themselves - one of which I had a front row seat - and I felt absolutely awful.

JSR_Cube

I hate that once they go into despair there's no way of changing their minds about walking off a cliff.

I always prioritize food gathering when I start a new level to avoid that very situation. I had a few Peeps off themselves - one of which I had a front row seat - and I felt absolutely awful.

I believe a rainbow will save them if you get them before they get to the cliff. Not completely sure though.

Fliesen

yeah, my priority is always food -> wood -> whatever i need to build a tavern (for healing purposes)

i can't stand losing a single peep, since you can't really control your population growth.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nah seriously though,
turning around and having the walls and shit changing all around me. Was mad, and yeah, only possible (or at least only this effective) in VR.
Very impressed.

By the end I was afraid to move lol.

Nah, they could have done it the same with a controller(Bioshock did something very similar in all three games for instance), but that finale certainly was a very impressive and surprising use of the headset tracking in VR.

They could have done it in normal 2D screens, but it wouldn't have no where near the same effect. Everything feels different when the scale is as real life. Seeing your same Batman characters be literally 6 feet tall is different than seeing them normally like in Batman Arkham City.

Not sure if anyone else has Robinson: The Journey preordered from Best Buy or not, but my copy just was marked "shipped." Wasn't the release date Nov 8th? Normally my Best Buy shipments arrive next day. Am I getting this early?

Loudninja

Introducing I Expect You To Die on PS VR
Happy Halloween! Here’s your treat: I Expect You To Die, the acclaimed, spy-themed, escape-the-room game, will launch this December on PS VR. The wait to experience the many ways a spy can perish in VR is almost over. After all, when you develop a game named I Expect You to Die, the trick is having more than one way to die.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/10/31/introducing-i-expect-you-to-die-on-ps-vr/

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou5xvGpemwE

Flashbacks to Pikmin :-/

Wayward Sky

I bought Wayward Sky last night and played through a bit of the first chapter. It's charming as hell and I love the laid back atmosphere (no pun intended). The robot characters are cute and the soundtrack soothing.

But what most impressed me is the image quality! Why is nobody talking about this?! Of all the PSVR games I've played so far, Wayward Sky has far and away the best overall image quality. Everything in the game looks in focus at all times. Nothing is blurry, even at a distance. I can't understand why everything looks so much more in focus here. There's also no aliasing. All of the edges are crisp but with no jaggies. There must be some kind of supersampling going on here. Regardless, the IQ in this game is as good as Playroom VR which is saying a lot. Even the "flashlights" you hold look crisp and defined with no jaggies.

The motion tracking works great and I love how the game switches between standard point-and-click adventure to first person puzzle solving. It's really neat to be looking down at the world in miniature to then suddenly be "IN" that world where the scale of everything changes to be huge. The puzzles so far have been super easy but I don't even mind considering how enthralling the presentation is.

It's probably my favourite game on PSVR . Love the diorama look of the game.

I don't own Batman yet, but Wayward Sky, Bound and SuperHyperCube are the most clean looking PSVR games I've played. Windlands looks pretty awesome too it seems.

Kyolux

6 deaths per level, 30 deaths total if I understand correctly.. So that means 5 different levels? I guess that's an acceptable amount of content. Will depend how long a play-through of one level last I guess.

I'm buying no matter what, but I'd really like to see these sort of games lasting me more than 60-90 minutes.

Not sure if anyone else has Robinson: The Journey preordered from Best Buy or not, but my copy just was marked "shipped." Wasn't the release date Nov 8th? Normally my Best Buy shipments arrive next day. Am I getting this early?

Bit jealous. I have amazon.ca's prime and mine says "Arriving 16 Nov - 18 Nov". I don't really mind the wait though in this case.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
True.
60 fps is a minimum.
90 is optimal
120 possible for simple scenes.

( We hit 90 fps graphics AND 90 hz physics at 1080p with zero drops :-D I'm still proud of that fact)
Hats off to you guys, seriously.
And every VR dev out there that delivers on the needed minimal performance and then some.

Ozorov

It's probably my favourite game on PSVR . Love the diorama look of the game.

I don't own Batman yet, but Wayward Sky, Bound and SuperHyperCube are the most clean looking PSVR games I've played. Windlands looks pretty awesome too it seems.
giphy.gif

Zalusithix

Maybe a dumbass question, but my mate has picked up a psVR this afternoon, could i shareplay my VR titles with him, and he would he be able to try them in VR ?

That would be a great recipe for nausea if Sony was stupid enough to allow it. Shareplay uses streaming from your PS4 to the other person's PS4. This incurs the latency of encoding the rendered image, transmitting it, and decoding it on the other end and the latency of sending inputs back from the other PS4 to yours. That's on top of the render time. VR requires extremely low motion to photon latency. Like sub 20ms from controller input to being rendered and displayed on the screen level latency. You'd be lucky to have that in one direction of the internet transmission alone, let alone all the other steps.

Briarios

6 deaths per level, 30 deaths total if I understand correctly.. So that means 5 different levels? I guess that's an acceptable amount of content. Will depend how long a play-through of one level last I guess.

The developers posted on the blog: We’ll have four main missions with collectibles, speed runs, trophies, and some secret extras at launch.

mckmas8808

That whole sequence was just really wild...sitting there...I kept wanting to put my arms on the table. Holding the lighter up to my ear and hearing the gas burning in it is really something.

That, and then the driving chase bit...just wow.

Tried Battletanks and that was really impressive.

Here They Lie is terrible.

Just bought Batman...excited for that.

Next time
smoke the cigar yourself.
. This is a real thing and it works perfectly. That was the first thing that BLEW my mind in VR Worlds The London Heist.

Kyolux

The developers posted on the blog: We’ll have four main missions with collectibles, speed runs, trophies, and some secret extras at launch.

Aww.. so 1 level less than I thought. Do we know how long they expect each level to take on a first attempt (with restarts and everything from death)?

Plankfan

Just picked up my headset today. Played a few of the demos... Laughed my ass off after I photocopied a donut in Job Simulator.

I have been noticing the drifting issue and things seem a little but blurry at times. Any protips to alleviate these issues? :)

Lol yeah, but it's true :/ Spend a crazy amount of money this month on PSVR and with the PS4 Pro coming up.... damn my wallet :)

Actually...I never spend so much money on a consolelaunch ( that's the way I see PSVR, as a new platform )...Attach rate for PSVR must be crazy 😂

Shoeless

Lol yeah, but it's true :/ Spend a crazy amount of money this month on PSVR and with the PS4 Pro coming up.... damn my wallet :)

Actually...I never spend so much money on a consolelaunch ( that's the way I see PSVR, as a new platform )...Attach rate for PSVR must be crazy 😂

I held back a bit on games because of the Pro, and the fact that I wanted to play more VR games on that. But once Christmas rolls around, it's probably "all bets are off" for me and buying more games.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Just picked up my headset today. Played a few of the demos... Laughed my ass off after I photocopied a donut in Job Simulator.

I have been noticing the drifting issue and things seem a little but blurry at times. Any protips to alleviate these issues? :)

Fully power down and restart the PS4 to fix drifting. Do the IPD calibration in the settings to help blurriness.

ckohler

This may not remove all blurryness (some games are better than others) but the key to focusing the headset is to move it slightly up and down on your forehead. It's not about how close or far the scope is extended. The best tip would be to hold down the PS button and select "PlayStation VR Settings" and then "Adjust your headset". Then move the headset slightly until the text is crisp.

As for tracking, my recommendation is to sit about 5 feet from the camera and have the camera directly facing the headset if possible. However, again, some games track better than others for some reason and Job Simulator is notorious for having poor tracking.

I held back a bit on games because of the Pro, and the fact that I wanted to play more VR games on that. But once Christmas rolls around, it's probably "all bets are off" for me and buying more games.

Yeah, I was thinking about waiting too, but I'm weak Can't wait for the Pro and see what it does for PSVR

Grinchy

Banned
The reddit thread about confirmed Pro games lists RIGS as confirmed. I can't fucking wait to see how good it looks in Pro mode. Maybe it'll not only supersample but also stop using the technique where it renders a lower resolution in your peripheral vision.

Peltz

Does Wayward Sky get better after the demo? I do love the look of the game (one of the best looking titles in PSVR for sure).

Press are starting to get their Pros. Hopefully some of them will do some PSVR comparisons.

No doubt :) hope that Digital Foundry does a comparison. Love their vids. Just 10 more days... damn 46 and I sound like a kid 😅 Pretty exiciting to own a PSVR. Playing a flat game, somehow feels weird and almost old now.

bumpkin

Hold it where your mouth is. Breathe it in for a bit. Move cigar away. Exhale slowly.
In hindsight I feel like I asked perhaps the dumbest question ever, but in my defense, I don't smoke anything so it's foreign to me; and I wasn't sure if you had to do something specific for it to register with the headset.

Does Wayward Sky get better after the demo? I do love the look of the game (one of the best looking titles in PSVR for sure).

Much better! You should buy it. It's a great little game with a lot of charm. Might not be as popular as the big titles, but it looks fantastic and you actually feel like being in the game. I feel the same in Robot Rescue, but that's a complete different game. Actually one of my favourite games...love it.

mckmas8808

In hindsight I feel like I asked perhaps the dumbest question ever, but in my defense, I don't smoke anything so it's foreign to me; and I wasn't sure if you had to do something specific for it to register with the headset.

One of the best thing is finding out that it as natural as the real thing. I don't smoke either, but I did try many years ago.

I never felt cooler, yet healthy at the same time lol.

panda-zebra

It uses the psvr's mic, so make a good show of it :)

Interesting to see so many still having issues with drift. Mine only drifts when in cinematic mode, but there is none when playing a proper vr game. I also reduced the world wobble to a minimum by sitting about 5' from the camera.

The problem I cannot get rid of though and is driving me crazy, is the lateral movement when moving my head forward or back. When I lean forward to inspect an object in the world, it's as if I am strafing while moving forward and is really annoying. The only fix is to power cycle the headset; but the problem returns after about 10 minutes everytime.

Anyone found a fix for this?

Does anyone else find that switching to the HDMI channel on your TV takes longer now its running through the extra box?
It used to be pretty much instant when it was directly connected to the PS4, but now theres a delay when switching over. Not sure if its just me or anyone else though.

jadedm17

Has anyone played the full version of Here They Lie yet? The demo was okay, but I'm not super sure about it, seems like it could go either way. Only really finding a lot of previews, but little reviews or impressions on the final product.
The reviews ive heard are fun but shallow, which the demo showcases IMHO; Apparently its fun and creepy but provides no real story. One review said he enjoyed it but had no idea what had happened and it felt like a creepy game checklist.

Sounded like a dont buy to me.

Moreche

I'm having to return my PSVR tomorrow as it's makes me sick when I use it. It never did this before but something has happened that's making me sick and I don't know what's doing it.
Loved using it but it's come to an end.

gogojira

Is Batman like the VR show case? Just wondering because I've got $20 to spend and it seems so short. Granted I spent $30 on Rez and don't regret it at all.

Right now I'm leaning hard on buying Thumper but if Batman is the way to go, I might get it instead.

Grinchy

Banned
Is Batman like the VR show case? Just wondering because I've got $20 to spend and it seems so short. Granted I spent $30 on Rez and don't regret it at all.

Right now I'm leaning hard on buying Thumper but if Batman is the way to go, I might get it instead.

I haven't played Batman yet, but for me, I'm waiting until it's on sale or a free PS+ game. A 1-hour experience can't be $20 forever.

IMO get Thumper or any of the other $20 games that have replay value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom