• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me tell you guys: I have been beyond impressed with my customer service in regards to my busted console. After my conversation with the support rep, a pre-constructed box with directions arrived 3 days later. Personal error aside (I kept forgetting to print off my digital receipt from Best Buy at work--I don't have a printer), I was finally able to ship off my box on Monday, and received confirmation that my new headset is on the way and should be here by Saturday. In total, this thing from beginning to end took me less than 10 days.

10/10

I had a weird smear thing on my lenses and I felt like I was having tracking issues AND I also saw that my headset was cracking so I walked into a Best Buy and walked out with a new PSVR after ordering online.

P.S. There are areas on the headrest that look vaguely like cracks, if you're a moron, but that is not the case. Learned that with the second headset. Just a design thing.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Finally got around to a review of VR Worlds: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/24/playstation-vr-worlds/

And in case people missed them here's another couple of recent ones I've done.

Time Machine VR: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/19/time-machine-vr/
O! My Genesis: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/19/o-my-genesis-vr/
Harmonix Music: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/18/harmonix-music-vr/
Space Rift: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/17/space-rift/
Robinson: The Journey: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/14/robinson-the-journey/

I'm away for the weekend so won't have time for more for a few days. If anyone has any other requests just ask.

Still no sign of Gary the Gull or Holoball in the UK. :(

Ignore Gary ever existed - it will taint your website. :p

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Haha! Is it really that bad? It's free though right?

Yeah, but its just a short interactive experience that doesnt add anything of value. A gull flies in, talks to you about wanting the food you brought, you can move your head to nod and look around in a single environment that isnt particularly well done for VR and its over in 3-4 minutes. Feels more like a students first VR project with some admittedly decent animation. Its not funny either, as it tries to be, its just... pointless.

Holoball is ace though.

Haha! Is it really that bad? It's free though right?

It's so bad, I'm suprise they don't pay you to see it...I mean the premise of a conversational vr game is a good idea don't get me wrong, but that doesn't even begin to explain the 5min experience you have to suffer through.

Thanks for the input! I only played through the first 3 levels so didn't know if the later levels would be even better. I think I'll go with the first level as suggested since everyone will be a VR noob and it's easy and short enough for a good experience for everyone. I think they'll also like the short rollercoaster moments that make your stomach rise with visuals alone. The pig level would be too intense I think. Lol

Of course there's also Playroom VR which is awesome for multiplayer demos.

I played the pigs level at EBgames expo here in Aus and when they started to
move and squeal
I was like holyshit this game. Totally an experience you won't get unless its in VR. I've been busy and haven't had time to play as much PSVR as I'd like.

somme

Yeah, but its just a short interactive experience that doesnt add anything of value. A gull flies in, talks to you about wanting the food you brought, you can move your head to nod and look around in a single environment that isnt particularly well done for VR and its over in 3-4 minutes. Feels more like a first VR project with some admittedly decent animation. Its just... pointless.

It's so bad, I'm suprise they don't pay you to see it...I mean the premise of a conversational vr game is a good idea don't get me wrong, but that doesn't even begin to explain the 5min experience you have to suffer through.

Oh dear! Now I'm curious just to see how bad it really is.

A proper interactive/voice recognition VR game would be ace though. Hopefully in a few years there'll be a proper one!

Toma

Oh dear! Now I'm curious just to see how bad it really is.

A proper interactive/voice recognition VR game would be ace though. Hopefully in a few years there'll be a proper one!

But thats kinda the thing what they tried advertising here. Just consider the extend of the "voice recognition":

Gull asks you your name
You say your name
Gull says "Ah, very well. Nice, well how about giving me some food now?"

Thats it. Thats the voice recognition feature. Its not even used for multiple occasions or other elements. Thats literally it.

But thats kinda the thing what they tried advertising here. Just consider the extend of the "voice recognition":

Gull asks you your name
You say your name

Thats it. Thats the voice recognition feature. Its not even used for multiple occasions or other elements. Thats literally it.

Hehe, I'm afraid that's true I can second that.

somme

Gull asks you your name
You say your name

Yeah that is rubbish. Thank heavens no one will accidentally pay for it.

Joystick

Gull asks you your name
You say your name

I didn't even say anything (was expecting a visual prompt of some sort or for it to ask again) but it just kept on going as if all it does is pause for 3 seconds to let you think you actually had any input.

Joystick

There's nothing embarrassing about this at all unless you're an easily offended fanboy-type. It's a completely valid comparison video between two versions of the same game, which is what DF do. They even mention all of your points in the video itself.

+1. It's a good comparison and interesting to see what changes they made to get it 60fps and stereoscopic. Being fully immersed in DRIVECLUB VR is great.

Driveclub VR still remains one of the worst looking PSVR games though.

I wholeheartedly disagree. In what way?

Kalentan

Hey guys so I wanted to test out my TV's HDR capabilites but for some reason if I plug in my PS4 into the TV, it loses picture and only has sound but as soon as I plug it back into the PSVR processor, it goes back to the normal.

bumpkin

Hmm... Carnival Games and Bound are 10 bucks apiece? Nice!

How is Bound, anyways? What is it about? What is the core gameplay?

Darknight

I also disagree but it has one of the worst IQ's. What it is doing graphically is way beyond most games in VR.

Is the demo representative of how the retail game looks like? Because in the demo, its very blurry and jaggy. I hate to say but looks like a PS2 game. Like even the textures are super low res just look at the gravel makes me want to puke.

Shoeless

Hmm... Carnival Games and Bound are 10 bucks apiece? Nice!

How is Bound, anyways? What is it about? What is the core gameplay?

Bound is basically an arsty platformer. Running, jumping, climbing, in VR the camera is stationary to avoid nausea issues, so you readjust it by flicking the right analog stick. One of the best looking VR games in terms of image quality, and a nice, small, intimate story layered underneath the modern art visual style.

The Collective Minds stand randomly shipped this week from Amazon after being backordered since around launch. I have to say I'm glad I waited. Cheaper than the Power A option and it feels super sturdy and solid once you put it together. It's a little bigger/bulkier than I was expecting for some reason but nothing too huge.

Grinchy

Banned
Just beat a Hard/Long campaign in Battlezone. That one was rough. We each used a light tank and didn't really get any good weapons. I ended up with only 1 weapon at the volcano and we had to take out 5 shield generators. It was a clunky win, but I'll take it!

The Collective Minds stand randomly shipped this week from Amazon after being backordered since around launch. I have to say I'm glad I waited. Cheaper than the Power A option and it feels super sturdy and solid once you put it together. It's a little bigger/bulkier than I was expecting for some reason but nothing too huge.
Forgot about this. Thanks for the impression. Looks like it's getting good reviews on Amazon, too. Really good price for something that charges 2 DS4s, 2 Moves, and I just learned an extra USB port to charge headphones or anything else with. Just placed an order and hope it doesn't take too long to get shipped.

ckohler

Just beat a Hard/Long campaign in Battlezone. That one was rough. We each used a light tank and didn't really get any good weapons. I ended up with only 1 weapon at the volcano and we had to take out 5 shield generators. It was a clunky win, but I'll take it!

I just picked up Battlezone yesterday but haven't played yet. If I play solo on Easy, will it be too difficult?

Grinchy

Banned
I just picked up Battlezone yesterday but haven't played yet. If I play solo on Easy, will it be too difficult?

IMO no matter what you play will at first feel very difficult. Unless you play with someone who already knows what they're doing, there's a lot to learn at first. But stick with it and you'll find out what a brilliant game it is.

I guess I'd also suggest starting with the light tank even though it seems like being able to take less hits would be a bad thing. I just like its weapons better.

bumpkin

Bound is basically an arsty platformer. Running, jumping, climbing, in VR the camera is stationary to avoid nausea issues, so you readjust it by flicking the right analog stick. One of the best looking VR games in terms of image quality, and a nice, small, intimate story layered underneath the modern art visual style.
Right on. I ended up biting at $10 on this along with Carnival Games for the same price.

I'm not particularly blown away by either game, but kind of annoyed about having a litany of tracking issues (can't see the headset) after a half hour or so playing Carnival Games. It's the first game I've had any such issues with. I went back to playing some Eagle Flight afterwards and everything was good so I know it's not the headset or my setup.

KOHIPEET

Just finished robot rescue. It was soo good. It's probably one of my best vr experiences. It's a textbook example of how to make the player feel like he really is the part of the game world.

There should be a full size game made like this.

Also, the pristine IQ just tops it all.

Impressive!

I've beaten it on hard/medium twice in co-op (once in one of the dev-hosted events), and on easy/short and medium/normal offline.

On both hard campaigns we had someone with a Hacker tank, who recommended it for the speed and enhanced healing. My go-to tank is the Mine Clearer; it comes with a Mk5 cannon and laser-guided missiles. On a couple of runs I was able to swap the LGs for a Mk14 Multi-Lockon, which is a nice weapon.

Still need to unlock the Recon and Aggro tanks. I've heard hints about DLC, but nothing definitive...

*Splinter

I'm an idiot

Any advice for finding a PSVR for sale in the UK before Christmas without going secondhand/scalper?

Checked Amazon, Tesco, GAME (need to find out when they are getting new stock), Argos in several cities...

Toma

I'm an idiot

Any advice for finding a PSVR for sale in the UK before Christmas without going secondhand/scalper?

Checked Amazon, Tesco, GAME (need to find out when they are getting new stock), Argos in several cities...

No clue about the shipping, but amazon DE has some Warehouse deals for 370€ atm. Those are "used" as they have been sent back by other customers, but I made some pretty good experiences with those deals:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B00ULWWFIC/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

The 380 one should be basically new.

*Splinter

Toma

Can't see any below 500€ there :(

Thanks for the heads up though, hadn't thought of importing from Europe

The offers were sold shortly after I posted them here. Sneaky lurkers. :p

Grinchy

Banned
Impressive!

I've beaten it on hard/medium twice in co-op (once in one of the dev-hosted events), and on easy/short and medium/normal offline.

On both hard campaigns we had someone with a Hacker tank, who recommended it for the speed and enhanced healing. My go-to tank is the Mine Clearer; it comes with a Mk5 cannon and laser-guided missiles. On a couple of runs I was able to swap the LGs for a Mk14 Multi-Lockon, which is a nice weapon.

Still need to unlock the Recon and Aggro tanks. I've heard hints about DLC, but nothing definitive...

Yeah, the Hacker tank is probably the best. It starts with great weapons AND starts with extra tank mods. I'm kinda surprised by how much better it is than other tanks. I used the recon one that starts with the radar ping MK3 on that run.

I think I just unlocked the Mine Clearer on that run, so it'll be the next one I try out. I should really try a run on solo to see how I do. I'm so used to playing with another person that it would be fun to take that crutch away.

Are there any good deals on PSVR games besides PSN sale?

I already have the following.

Physical
Batman Arkham VR
Until Dawn
PSVR Worlds
Loading Human
Rigs
Battlezone
EVE Valkyrie
Driveclub VR
Robinson Journey
Eagle Flight

Digital
The Assembly
EVE Gunjack
Rez Infinite
Wayward Sky
Here They Lie

I prefer physical copies, but I am ok with digital if price difference is large enough.

Also, is Thrustmaster T150 at $129.99 a good deal? I am thinking about getting one for Driveclub VR.

I should really try a run on solo to see how I do. I'm so used to playing with another person that it would be fun to take that crutch away.

I've found solo to be a very different game to co-op: There's little point in upgrading the Heal ability (you can still heal allied bases and tanks, but that's not very useful), so I dump more points into shield upgrades. Once you take hull damage there's no way of fixing it, so I tend to play a cautious game which takes a lot longer than a co-op game.

They reduce the numbers of enemies in solo, which is good, but some objective types can be really awkward: 'hack the enemy base while defending your own' is a particular pain.

The last medium solo campaign I completed I took out 4 shield generators before reaching the volcano, but then found destroying the remaining two really tough - having to defend against sniper tanks and hoppers while attacking the base I ended up running out of ammo and resorting to the default weapon.

I paid 200 in October.

I'd recommend the GT Omega Steering Wheel Stand if you pick one up.

I think that I saw this thing for $150 at local Best Buy a few weeks ago. I can be wrong though.

I have never bought a Steering Wheel before. I am not sure that I want to invest in the stand right now. I have not even opened my copy of Driveclub VR lol.

Do I have to have a stand for this thing?
Can I just put this thing on my lap or something?
What are my other options besides the stand? A table? A chair? Any other ways to mount this thing on the budget?

Are online matches easy to find?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom