• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got a lot of Amazon credit and was ready to pull the trigger on Playstation VR, but sadly they're all sold out! What are the first games I need to give a go when I do get it?

Go ahead and download Playroom VR, it's free. The demo disc that comes with PSVR has demos of most current VR games. You can download a separate demo for Superhypercube.

I'd recommend buying VR Worlds, Rez, Thumper, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood and Batman. Those seem to be the killer apps right now.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So I got a lot of Amazon credit and was ready to pull the trigger on Playstation VR, but sadly they're all sold out! What are the first games I need to give a go when I do get it?

In addition to what was already mentioned: Easel mode in Harmonix VR. The best VR showcase still.

Mdk7

Tomorrow night my little cousin is coming over to play some PSVR, and despite having already lots of games (like 7, plus those I can get access to using the profile of the website I write for) I was thinking about buying Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.
Does the game rely a lot on English language? Because she doesn't speak English and English text instructions would prevent her from enjoying the whole experience.
Thanks to anyone who will help me with that question. ;)

Grinchy

Banned
Tomorrow night my little cousin is coming over to play some PSVR, and despite having already lots of games (like 7, plus those I can get access to using the profile of the website I write for) I was thinking about buying Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.
Does the game rely a lot on English language? Because she doesn't speak English and English text instructions would prevent her from enjoying the whole experience.
Thanks to anyone who will help me with that question. ;)

English text instructions are pretty much the entirety of the game, unfortunately :(

Really, really fun game, though

Kyolux

I posted impressions a page or so back last night.

Don't buy it if you want to play with move. The game doesn't let you reach the edges of the box, but doesn't shy away from sending the ball there. It then forces you to recenter towards where you're looking, making you face away from the camera.

I went in expecting something good, given Jake Kaufmann's involved. But heh.. big disappointment.. I'll keep playing it, but probably just with the head controls, which actually lets you reach the edges.

Anyone try Proton Pulse Plus?
Was interested in it but it looks kinda boring especially compared to Holoball

See my quote above.

hitme

Alright PSVRGAF, I need to buy a game to impress the family after our meal. Already have VR Worlds, Rez, and Batman.

What to get?

Shoeless

Alright PSVRGAF, I need to buy a game to impress the family after our meal. Already have VR Worlds, Rez, and Batman.

What to get?

Try the COD VR demo for a decent, bite-sized cockpit space combat experience. If you have a Pro, Robinson: The Journey has some pretty impressive dinosaur set-pieces that really take advantage of the Pro's extra "oomph."

Oh, and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is always a crowd pleaser, unless you have arachnaphobes in the house. Also try "The Kitchen" demo on the demo disco for a good, brief scare.

What to get?

If you have Moves then get Harmonix and a USB drive with music people will enjoy. Silly they didn't get it working with Spotify.

Shoeless

If you have Moves then get Harmonix and a USB drive with music people will enjoy. Silly they didn't get it working with Spotify.

I'm just going to assume there were licensing problems. There may also be tech hurdles, since I've noticed with the Harmonix VR player it actually needs to load up and analyze the song before the visualizers kick in, so I'm not sure how that current set up would work with Spotify streaming.

mulac

Ok, i'm in - going to have a look for stock today for a headset + motion controllers + camera.

The idea of a FROM Software game on this is too appealing!

Kyolux

Wouldn't expect anything souls/bloodborne related though. They said they were done with that. And it's probably not the best genre for VR, the way the tech works right now.

Fucking Carnival Games is 10 bucks today. I saw some article saying there would be no VR games on sale this weekend so i bought it for 20 on tuesday.

Anyone try contacting Sony when something like that happens? Just want the sale price

Wow. Bound is absolutely beautiful on the Pro and VR. Highly recommended, it's just stunning to look at also plays very well. Go grab it while it's on sale!

Shoeless

Wouldn't expect anything souls/bloodborne related though. They said they were done with that. And it's probably not the best genre for VR, the way the tech works right now.

Could be an Armored Core game. Depending on how they approach it, it could scratch the Mech-Warrior itch.

ckohler

My friend got Eagle Flight and we played it yesterday. Very cool. We both stood up while playing and neither of us found it nauseating at all. Doing a dive bomb does make you feel like you might loose your balance (which is neat) but never any discomfort. In fact, I'd rate it one of the more comfortable games.

It does black out your peripheral vision during intense motion so that might be why. Also, you never perform a roll of any kind. Just gentle turns. The graphics are pretty good even if the animals are kinda low-poly although that might just be a stylistic choice. Flying is super intuitive and easy. My friend aced the first three challenges but I did find the third one a bit tricky, especially while boosting. It's fun and gives a real sensation of flight. There are collectable to find also.

somme

Don't have time to trial levels before fam gets here. Any suggestion on the best Rush of Blood level to have people play?

The first one. It'll get them to grips with the controls (if they're not used to gaming/VR) and then the abattoir/pig one (level 2?) It's horrifying!

test_account

XP-39C²
The first one. It'll get them to grips with the controls (if they're not used to gaming/VR) and then the abattoir/pig one (level 2?) It's horrifying!
Level 2 is probably the best in terms of scare factor,
the twins in the begining who suddently are standing besides you.

Grinchy

Banned
Don't have time to trial levels before fam gets here. Any suggestion on the best Rush of Blood level to have people play?

My family ended up loving this game. Everyone just took a turn on each level and we got most of the way through the game. Some of the boss fights were tough for some members as they don't play any videogames.

I wish I recorded my sister while she was playing. She screamed like I've never heard her scream before. It sounded like she was being murdered lol

How is that game, btw

I've been playing it all Day today, it's pretty nice, there is like a dozen carnival games and you can play them as long as you want and get tickets for prizes.

Tracking is surprisingly good if you get your camera set up right.

Love having my own seen skeeball place and the climbing game was fucking hard but worth it.

All in all great price for some family fun too.

Bebpo

Banned
Is there any difference between PS3 move controllers and the ones being sold for use with VR? Just picked up the camera on sale in prep for eventually getting the headset when it's in stock someday. I've got a single PS3 move controller and wondering if I can just buy one more.

Shoeless

Is there any difference between PS3 move controllers and the ones being sold for use with VR? Just picked up the camera on sale in prep for eventually getting the headset when it's in stock someday. I've got a single PS3 move controller and wondering if I can just buy one more.

Nope, they're the same ones. So you can just buy one more. That's what I did, when I found out one of my old Move controllers was no longer holding a charge.

somme

Finally got around to a review of VR Worlds: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/24/playstation-vr-worlds/

And in case people missed them here's another couple of recent ones I've done.

Time Machine VR: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/19/time-machine-vr/
O! My Genesis: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/19/o-my-genesis-vr/
Harmonix Music: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/18/harmonix-music-vr/
Space Rift: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/17/space-rift/
Robinson: The Journey: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/14/robinson-the-journey/

I'm away for the weekend so won't have time for more for a few days. If anyone has any other requests just ask.

Still no sign of Gary the Gull or Holoball in the UK. :(

My family ended up loving this game. Everyone just took a turn on each level and we got most of the way through the game. Some of the boss fights were tough for some members as they don't play any videogames.

I wish I recorded my sister while she was playing. She screamed like I've never heard her scream before. It sounded like she was being murdered lol

Level 2 is probably the best in terms of scare factor,
the twins in the begining who suddently are standing besides you.

Oh yeah - I'd blocked that out. Such a good/heart attack-inducing experience.
Thanks for the input! I only played through the first 3 levels so didn't know if the later levels would be even better. I think I'll go with the first level as suggested since everyone will be a VR noob and it's easy and short enough for a good experience for everyone. I think they'll also like the short rollercoaster moments that make your stomach rise with visuals alone. The pig level would be too intense I think. Lol

Of course there's also Playroom VR which is awesome for multiplayer demos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom