• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrikan

I think it says no kid under 12 (is it?) should play PSVR or VR in general.

but if they tried it for 5mins, that shouldn't be bad right?

or will I ruin the vision of my little cousins for the rest of their lives.

Grinchy

Banned
Sucks to hear, I didnt have any issue when playing for an hour last night. :(
Yeah I just tried it in the Pro downstairs with the other psvr headset and I could get through easy and medium without a single issue. Gonna try that headset on the other ps4 and see if the original headset is just fucked up.

emb

Should be fine to let them try it. It's probably more of a pre-caution than any warning of particular danger.

If they're younger though, might be tough to fit the headset on them well.

nampad

DISCLAIMER: I am not a medial expert.

I think there has not been any study on the effects of VR headsets on developing (kids) eyes yet. The warning is just a precaution from the manufacturer to be safe.

The eyes of kids under 12 are still developing so wearing the headset too much will probably harm the development, just like doing other stuff too much probably does (watching TV up close, reading in dark light etc.).
But development of the eyes is not something that goes by quick so I guess a short session might be ok if not used regularly.

I guess I will ave a more qualified answer around christmas because my nephews will beg me to play and my brother in law is an eye doc.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
DISCLAIMER: I am not a medial expert.

I think there has not been any study on the effects of VR headsets on developing (kids) eyes yet. The warning is just a precaution from the manufacturer to be safe.

The eyes of kids under 12 are still developing so wearing the headset too much will probably harm the development, just like doing other stuff too much probably does (watching TV up close, reading in dark light etc.).
But development of the eyes is not something that goes by quick so I guess a short session might be ok if not used regularly.

I guess I will ave a more qualified answer around christmas because my nephews will beg me to play and my brother in law is an eye doc.

Given how the lenses actually work in vr I really don't think it's that. I think it's more to do with the actual size of the mask.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I posted impressions a page or so back last night.

Don't buy it if you want to play with move. The game doesn't let you reach the edges of the box, but doesn't shy away from sending the ball there. It then forces you to recenter towards where you're looking, making you face away from the camera.

I went in expecting something good, given Jake Kaufmann's involved. But heh.. big disappointment.. I'll keep playing it, but probably just with the head controls, which actually lets you reach the edges.

Thanks! Going to stick with Holoball then :)

Kyolux

Given how the lenses actually work in vr I really don't think it's that. I think it's more to do with the actual size of the mask.

I think it's both that and the fact that no actual research exist and it's probably safer in terms of liability to put that disclaimer than not.

Ogni-XR21

I think it's both that and the fact that no actual research exist and it's probably safer in terms of liability to put that disclaimer than not.

I recently read something on this topic, was probably posted in this very thread.

The main problem with depth focusing in traditional stereoscopic HMDs is that, despite fancy lensing and left/right eye image separation, you're still looking at a flat panel placed very close to your face. Trying to focus on "far away" objects on that stereoscopic screen means keeping a fixed focal distance but changing the "vergence" angle of your eyes—in essence, going a little cross-eyed for a moment. That can lead to "visual discomfort and fatigue, eyestrain, diplopic vision, headaches, nausea, compromised image quality, and it may even lead to pathologies in the developing visual system of children," the Stanford researchers write.

An embarrassing video from Digital Foundry comparing Driveclub VR to the original Driveclub game:

https://youtu.be/7mHQ58voy_Y

The comments section is pure cancer. Lots of ignorant idiots in there bashing DCVR without having played it. I'm not surprised though. While DCVR is not the prettiest looking VR game by a stretch, the sense of immersion you get from it utterly destroys regular driving games on a flatscreen panel. Something that can't be conveyed in shitty YouTube clips. Digital Foundry did this for the clicks and fanboy baiting, looks like it worked judging by the comments section in the video.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

It will be okay for them.

*Splinter

An embarrassing video from Digital Foundry comparing Driveclub VR to the original Driveclub game:

The comments section is pure cancer. Lots of ignorant idiots in there bashing DCVR without having played it. I'm not surprised though. While DCVR is not the prettiest looking VR game by a stretch, the sense of immersion you get from it utterly destroys regular driving games on a flatscreen panel. Something that can't be conveyed in shitty YouTube clips. Digital Foundry did this for the clicks and fanboy baiting, looks like it worked judging by the comments section in the video.
Such an odd comparison to make...

And what's the point of graphics if not immersion? I can't understand anyone who chooses to play flat screen instead of VR where the choice is available (unless it's for motion sickness of course).

There's nothing embarrassing about this at all unless you're an easily offended fanboy-type. It's a completely valid comparison video between two versions of the same game, which is what DF do. They even mention all of your points in the video itself.

antibolo

Banned

Driveclub VR still remains one of the worst looking PSVR games though. For a game carrying the Driveclub brand it does deserve criticism for it. The main thing that the original Driveclub had going for it was how beautiful it was, as it was otherwise a very average racing game that only runs at 30 fps.

There's nothing embarrassing about this at all unless you're an easily offended fanboy-type. It's a completely valid comparison video between two versions of the same game, which is what DF do. They even mention all of your points in the video itself.
I'm not the least bit offended by the video. I own both versions of the game and no it isn't a valid comparison. One runs at 30fps with all the bells and whistles on while the other has to make compromises for VR. While I'm not saying DCVR looks good by any means, it is understandable the graphics take a major hit to maintain good framerates. In order for it to work in VR the framerates cannot dip. I enjoy watching DF comparison videos but this one is a bit unfair. What would happen if every game was compared to its VR version? COD Jackal VR doesn't hold a candle to the IW graphics in the main game, does that mean the game should be criticized? Heavy compromises need to be made for VR experiences to be good and videos like this do a terrible job about informing the public about VR. People watch YouTube videos, say a game looks like shit graphically based on them and don't even bother to try them out in VR. It's already happening in the comments section there. YouTube cannot convey the sense of immersion you get from actually playing a game in VR.

Driveclub VR still remains one of the worst looking PSVR games though. For a game carrying the Driveclub brand it does deserve criticism for it. The main thing that the original Driveclub had going for it was how beautiful it was, as it was otherwise a very average racing game that only runs at 30 fps.
I completely agree, it looks horrible. I'm guessing the devs didn't have much time to work on it. I can't even tell the difference between the base PS4 version and the PS4 Pro version myself. All that goes out of the window when you're actually playing it though as the sense of immersion is still fantastic.

valeu

i had one level left in dishonored 2 when my psvr arrived, and i've had no desire to go back to the flatscreen. vr is so much more intense. when i'm done with bound, rush of blood, thumper, and rez, i might try playing dis2 with the psvr and see what that's like

Jesus fucking hell. Black screened again while showing the device to my brother.

This time, for the first time, the social screen went black, too, despite my HDCP stripper.

Now I'm really fucking perplexed.

Zero issues with OG, but this shit on Pro.

This shit needs a goddamn patch already, even though I've considerably limited the issue with 1.4 HDCP.

Sigh.

bumpkin

Is that the spider level? Because fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that. The game never "scared" me, but the end of the spider level made me genuinely uncomfortable.
Yep, I freaked out at that part, just short of yelling "Get them off of me!"

I think one of the bound developers is around here. Thank you for the camera controls in the game. Any other way and I may have been vomit inducing. Well done.

Grinchy

Banned
Some random VR acheevos tonight. Battlezone on Hard/Medium and no deaths

6b1rSR7.png

And you can barely tell because the screenshots are so horrible while using VR, but 5th place weekly on the Medium difficulty in Holoball the one round I was able to complete without the headset tracking dying on me

Hey veteran RIGS players. Whats the most effective control scheme? Turning with your head or turning with the controller?
IMO there's no question that the right thumbstick option is better. I don't know how anyone can even aim Warheads and stuff with the head turning option.

bumpkin

For anyone interested in snagging a physical copy of Star Wars Battlefront for $10 (to get the VR mission in a few weeks), GameStop's Black Friday prices are live. Here's links to the two SKUs they sell...

I ended up biting on Best Buy's DOTD for Battlezone. I did enjoy the demo and it left me wanting more. I also like a good co-op game. Not just that, but I was reading that they've patched it since release so the difficulty spike reviewers knocked it for has been balanced somewhat.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm still very susceptible to motion sickness from this stuff but I made it through about 40 track runthroughs in Trackmania on PS4 Pro before my forehead started to sweat a little and I felt nausea starting to creep in a bit. I think I would have fared much better if they'd made it so that your run ends if you go flipping off the track or hit something in midair. Next time I'll try closing my eyes every time it looks like the world is going to start spinning in-game.
The wallride -> sideways jump -> wallride stuff was shockingly comfortable.

irkutsk12

Neo Member
I think one of the bound developers is around here. Thank you for the camera controls in the game. Any other way and I may have been vomit inducing. Well done.

Thanks. You are one of not to many to praise the stationary camera system :). Or maybe those who doesn't like it mostly write on forums :). I think that the new system is solid right now and we have sent it to comfort testing. It means that it still needs to be approved. I'll prepare a movie covering all the new modes and describing them in detail when we will be greenlit.

For anyone interested in snagging a physical copy of Star Wars Battlefront for $10 (to get the VR mission in a few weeks), GameStop's Black Friday prices are live. Here's links to the two SKUs they sell...

I ended up biting on Best Buy's DOTD for Battlezone. I did enjoy the demo and it left me wanting more. I also like a good co-op game. Not just that, but I was reading that they've patched it since release so the difficulty spike reviewers knocked it for has been balanced somewhat.

Snagged! You're the man! Ty

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Thanks. You are one of not to many to praise the stationary camera system :). Or maybe those who doesn't like it mostly write on forums :). I think that the new system is solid right now and we have sent it to comfort testing. It means that it still needs to be approved. I'll prepare a movie covering all the new modes and describing them in detail when we will be greenlit.

Constant snapping and pie rotation is mildly annoying at times, but comfort is absolute the way things are now.

Zombine

Banned
Let me tell you guys: I have been beyond impressed with my customer service in regards to my busted console. After my conversation with the support rep, a pre-constructed box with directions arrived 3 days later. Personal error aside (I kept forgetting to print off my digital receipt from Best Buy at work--I don't have a printer), I was finally able to ship off my box on Monday, and received confirmation that my new headset is on the way and should be here by Saturday. In total, this thing from beginning to end took me less than 10 days.

10/10

Tried another demo today. I really want PSVR now. Every time I try a demo it makes me want it more and more.

The shooting gallery mode in The Heist is too much fun.

seb

Banned

People that don't have problems just don't bother. Bound is great actually; I quite like that camera system. Like many quirks of the PSVR experience, it just fades away after a couple of minutes.
And then you're in the game, like a silent ghost following the dancer. I feel like this guy at times:
chihiro6.jpeg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I absolutely love the camera system, also makes for a great showing of the graphics in motion to people putting on the headsets without any discomfort. Really hope we get more games with similar camera modes.

gmoran

Some random VR acheevos tonight. Battlezone on Hard/Medium and no deaths

Very impressive, solo?

I love Battlezone but its so hard, I'm struggling despite closing the game if I lose lives (as a checkpoint hack)

I'm favouring solo because I want to get the aggro tank and when playing online its always everyone gets destroyed by the 2nd shield generator.

I've finished on Easy using the light tank, but using the same tactics on Medium I hit a brick wall at the final shield generator: too many enemies that I couldn't kill quick enough. I almost beat the AI core using a medium tank on easy, but it was turning into a chore which I eventually grew tired of.

Tried medium last night using a heavy tank but got destroyed by a quick spawning tower in one volley on the first shield generator and lost heart, I might go back to the light tank and try supply points to get laser guided missiles.

What tanks do you favour out of the three standard models, what tactics?

Hey veteran RIGS players. Whats the most effective control scheme? Turning with your head or turning with the controller?
Comfort mask off, turning with control. You're already aiming with your head to shoot so for me turning my head to also turn the rig is too much. That said I only play offline so I may be handicapping myself against other people.

Grinchy

Banned
Very impressive, solo?

I love Battlezone but its so hard, I'm struggling despite closing the game if I lose lives (as a checkpoint hack)

I'm favouring solo because I want to get the aggro tank and when playing online its always everyone gets destroyed by the 2nd shield generator.

I've finished on Easy using the light tank, but using the same tactics on Medium I hit a brick wall at the final shield generator: too many enemies that I couldn't kill quick enough. I almost beat the AI core using a medium tank on easy, but it was turning into a chore which I eventually grew tired of.

Tried medium last night using a heavy tank but got destroyed by a quick spawning tower in one volley on the first shield generator and lost heart, I might go back to the light tank and try supply points to get laser guided missiles.

What tanks do you favour out of the three standard models, what tactics?

Oh I pretty much only play when my brother can get online with me for some co-op. We both know the game pretty well now, so dying is pretty much off the table, but that's only because we can revive.

I really don't know how anyone's expected to beat these campaigns in solo. I haven't tried, in all fairness, but it seems like it would be way more difficult than having even just one other person who knows what they're doing.

I personally prefer the light tank the most, and the Hacker tank you can unlock is probably the best in the game. Also, we stopped going after the shield generators on the map. If there is one that's on a good path to the volcano, we do it because it's good money. Otherwise, we skip it and just deal with it at the volcano.

We found that dealing with the shields at the volcano is not actually difficult at all, but again, that's in co-op with 2 people who really know the game. If you're just looking to beat a campaign, IMO it's better to rush to the volcano and have less Nemesis fights and a lower enemy power level.

Aceofspades

Banned
I started getting a brief signal loss when playing VR games on the PRO. Every 2-3 minutes or so I get a very brief (less than a second) signal loss (black screen) then everything returnes back to normal.
It never happened with og PS4, I didn't change anything on my initial PSVR setup except I plugged the new HDMI cable in place of the old one.

Anyone knows how to fix this?

mitchman

Gold Member
I started getting a brief signal loss when playing VR games on the PRO. Every 2-3 minutes or so I get a very brief (less than a second) signal loss (black screen) then everything returnes back to normal.
It never happened with og PS4, I didn't change anything on my initial PSVR setup except I plugged the new HDMI cable in place of the old one.

Sounds like that HDCP handshake issue. Try disabling HDCP in settings?

hookurs

What kind of TV are you using?

ElNino

This has been a fairly common problem with PS4 Pro and PSVR. Booting into safe mode and setting HDCP from Automatic to 1.4 has helped a bit, but I still get it everyone once in a while.

Also the
beach scenes
are spectacular. I just want to hang out in that. For someone with Seasonal Affective Disorder I hope we get more experiences that mirror this.

gmoran

Oh I pretty much only play when my brother can get online with me for some co-op. We both know the game pretty well now, so dying is pretty much off the table, but that's only because we can revive.

I really don't know how anyone's expected to beat these campaigns in solo. I haven't tried, in all fairness, but it seems like it would be way more difficult than having even just one other person who knows what they're doing.

I personally prefer the light tank the most, and the Hacker tank you can unlock is probably the best in the game. Also, we stopped going after the shield generators on the map. If there is one that's on a good path to the volcano, we do it because it's good money. Otherwise, we skip it and just deal with it at the volcano.

We found that dealing with the shields at the volcano is not actually difficult at all, but again, that's in co-op with 2 people who really know the game. If you're just looking to beat a campaign, IMO it's better to rush to the volcano and have less Nemesis fights and a lower enemy power level.

Thanks for the info, yeah I prefer the light tank, you can dodge a lot of shots, comes into its own at the AI core

Nintendad

So I got a lot of Amazon credit and was ready to pull the trigger on Playstation VR, but sadly they're all sold out! What are the first games I need to give a go when I do get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom