• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

antibolo

Banned
Here's what the page says:

Notice that two games are listed as cross buys when they come to PS+ next week? Notice that Hyper Void is not one of those games, and is listed solely for PS3?

Like I said, I hope that listing changes for you guys because it is FANTASTIC fun in VR, but currently it doesn't seem as that version will be offered on Tuesday.

According to the game's store page it is cross-buy, and that's what matters, not this PS Blog post which was written by a human who could have made mistakes.

Here's what the page says:

Notice that two games are listed as cross buys when they come to PS+ next week? Notice that Hyper Void is not one of those games, and is listed solely for PS3?

Like I said, I hope that listing changes for you guys because it is FANTASTIC fun in VR, but currently it doesn't seem as that version will be offered on Tuesday.

I think the point is, it very clearly states for that game if you visit it's page in the PSN Store, that a license gives you access to the PS3 and PS4 Version. This would be the first time that a Cross Buy PS+ Title would have a different license, not allowing the other versions. There have been many times in the past where Plus Games were cross buy, but were never mentioned for the other consoles in The Drop's PS Plus game announcement.

I am confident it is a typo that they didn't mention Cross Buy.

joeblow

Cool. Then my wish is granted and the listing will be changed. You guys will have a blast. This is one of the few PS+ games I'm glad I bought in advance because it supports a high quality effort from the devs.

Joystick

Cool. Then my wish is granted and the listing will be changed.

EU page says "Hyper Void (PS4, PS3, PS Vita)" and links to the same store item that is cross-buy. When you bought it earlier you would have noticed that the one purchase is for PS4 and PS3 (you don't choose a version). So that's great news.

valeu

i started playing volume in vr. the game is this same, but now you can move the board in front of you in the 3d space and in vr it feels more like you are really using tech to do virtual heists in a military coup attempt. i recommend giving it another go if you haven't tried it

bumpkin

Oh man, my copy of Rise of the Tomb Raider came today. I can't wait to get my VR Lara Croft on!

Question for those who have already played the game. Does the VR experience spoil any of the main campaign story?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Oh man, my copy of Rise of the Tomb Raider came today. I can't wait to get my VR Lara Croft on!

Question for those who have already played the game. Does the VR experience spoil any of the main campaign story?
The main campaign story spoils the main campaign story.

RoyalFool

Banned
Played some Pinball FX2 VR

Quick impressions are that it's a solid title, and the base set with 3 tables is well worth the £11 asking price.

Won't bother reviewing the tables themselves in any great detail as you may already have played them, the three unlicensed tables you get with the core game are all 'good' tables, the licensed tables you can buy are probably better but don't feel like I've been given a short straw with the 'free' ones.

In terms of the VR experience, was skeptical if pinball was a good fit for VR or not, but it works surprisingly well. I think given that most other titles are high adrenaline or horror, it's quite nice to have a chill-out game to play and it fills a niche in the current PSVR library. The rooms you get to roam around to play them in are nice enough, and the tables themselves look pretty great up close. Shoving your head right into the table to get a good view of everything is neat, and it doesn't feel like they've stripped down the graphics in any way for the VR edition.

When you play the games the room you are in changes somewhat, the view outside the window and lighting shifts, and various shit from the table surrounds you in the room. On some tables this is quite nicely done in a subtle way (e.g. on the space table, you get surrounded by small meteors and rocks floating around), but on other tables it's more of a distraction with a fucking guy on a horse prancing around the table. It probably helps avoid the feeling of isolation, but would be nice to be a configurable option.

Whilst the tables look great up close, and are very playable when in a normal sitting position (i.e. everything gets framed at just the right size and distance to be nice and sharp) - aliasing is quite bad, pinball tables are full of those thin, shiny metal ramps to carry the ball around and as you can probably expect, thin, shiny and curved is just asking for aliasing woes and shimmer, which all the tables exhibit a lot of. If they can downsample this on the Pro, it would make a huge difference!

Gameplay wise it's quite bare bones and missing some obvious options, infact, it's missing options altogether. Would be nice to change the table height and turn off the environmental effects, seems like a no brainer to patch these in as I was having to trick the headset by standing up and resetting the camera and then sitting down to avoid having to 'hunch' to get close to the table in it's default position.

Can see myself playing this game a lot, solid pinball + vr + leaderboards is my personal cocaine.

Bottom line, feel like this game is really good value for money and offers a sense of physicality that the original version of the game was missing. If they can sort the aliasing out, it'll surpass the non-VR edition by a mile.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Would be nice to change the table height

You can already do that:
Also, another small tidbit that most of you might already know, but it was very notable in Pinball, so I might as well comment on it again:

I assume you guys know you can adjust camera setting by intentionally going into a "wrong" position before moving back to how you want to play, right? Some games try to prevent it, but for example in Pinball, I found the best viewing position is to rise about 30cm, reset the camera by holding start and sitting down again. That way, you are much closer to the Pinball table, moving it closer and making it much more detailed.

Kinda weird these games wouldnt include an option to adjust the camera, but I am glad that this works.

Bebpo

Banned
Played some Pinball FX2 VR

Quick impressions are that it's a solid title, and the base set with 3 tables is well worth the £11 asking price.

Won't bother reviewing the tables themselves in any great detail as you may already have played them, the three unlicensed tables you get with the core game are all 'good' tables, the licensed tables you can buy are probably better but don't feel like I've been given a short straw with the 'free' ones.

In terms of the VR experience, was skeptical if pinball was a good fit for VR or not, but it works surprisingly well. I think given that most other titles are high adrenaline or horror, it's quite nice to have a chill-out game to play and it fills a niche in the current PSVR library. The rooms you get to roam around to play them in are nice enough, and the tables themselves look pretty great up close. Shoving your head right into the table to get a good view of everything is neat, and it doesn't feel like they've stripped down the graphics in any way for the VR edition.

When you play the games the room you are in changes somewhat, the view outside the window and lighting shifts, and various shit from the table surrounds you in the room. On some tables this is quite nicely done in a subtle way (e.g. on the space table, you get surrounded by small meteors and rocks floating around), but on other tables it's more of a distraction with a fucking guy on a horse prancing around the table. It probably helps avoid the feeling of isolation, but would be nice to be a configurable option.

Whilst the tables look great up close, and are very playable when in a normal sitting position (i.e. everything gets framed at just the right size and distance to be nice and sharp) - aliasing is quite bad, pinball tables are full of those thin, shiny metal ramps to carry the ball around and as you can probably expect, thin, shiny and curved is just asking for aliasing woes and shimmer, which all the tables exhibit a lot of. If they can downsample this on the Pro, it would make a huge difference!

Gameplay wise it's quite bare bones and missing some obvious options, infact, it's missing options altogether. Would be nice to change the table height and turn off the environmental effects, seems like a no brainer to patch these in as I was having to trick the headset by standing up and resetting the camera and then sitting down to avoid having to 'hunch' to get close to the table in it's default position.

Can see myself playing this game a lot, solid pinball + vr + leaderboards is my personal cocaine.

Bottom line, feel like this game is really good value for money and offers a sense of physicality that the original version of the game was missing. If they can sort the aliasing out, it'll surpass the non-VR edition by a mile.

Do all the DLC tables work on this one? I'm not a big fan of Pinball FX because I don't like the physics and the games go on forever. I'm a The Pinball Arcade fan. But until TPA gets a VR update, FX is the only VR pinball so I could see myself playing it a bunch.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah, I don't know what it is. It remained this way after a hard reset and nothing else acts like this. I acknowledge that my experience was unique but I'm not sure why. My setup works for other standing games like Job Simulator (although still not great -- standing is a problem with PSVR in general).

It's a shame because I know other people really enjoyed it.

Yeah. I thought standing would be how I prefer to play VR but you have to be so far from the camera for it to work and the upward angle my camera needs to take must make that even worse.

Maybe I just need to remember to hard reset more often, I know that contributes to tracking accuracy. But I haven't had any problems with seated VR recently that I can recall.

It's funny because I was actually the exact opposite. I always figured room scale to be a total gimmick that I had no interest in. I figured if the tracking issues were with the move controllers ( which I expected because there have always been z wobble, drift, tracking, etc issues with those) it wouldn't matter because I'd be cool with just head tracking. Then I tried job simulator and it absolutely blew my mind. You're so limited however in range of motion and things get really wonky when you're standing and trying to move around in psvr.

All this being said I tried to settle on it as just head tracking, but the drift and wobble ultimately forced me to return it. I'm hoping there's some solution down the line and I'm looking forward to it.

majik13

I didn't know if I should create a thread so I'll ask here. Anyone else know about the second chance deal from the taco bell contest. I got this email today.

Congrats, and yes pretty sure this is a thing. I think some Gaf members have won in the second chance offer before in previous Tacobell Playstation giveaways.

Bebpo

Banned
It's funny because I was actually the exact opposite. I always figured room scale to be a total gimmick that I had no interest in. I figured if the tracking issues were with the move controllers ( which I expected because there have always been z wobble, drift, tracking, etc issues with those) it wouldn't matter because I'd be cool with just head tracking. Then I tried job simulator and it absolutely blew my mind. You're so limited however in range of motion and things get really wonky when you're standing and trying to move around in psvr.

All this being said I tried to settle on it as just head tracking, but the drift and wobble ultimately forced me to return it. I'm hoping there's some solution down the line and I'm looking forward to it.

Man, mine's coming on Friday and I really hope I don't regret it. I've used the Rift & Vive and been highly impressed by both. But I do have a pretty small room and the camera is only about 4-5 feet from my couch.

Man, mine's coming on Friday and I really hope I don't regret it. I've used the Rift & Vive and been highly impressed by both. But I do have a pretty small room and the camera is only about 4-5 feet from my couch.

For the vast majority of experiences that is in the sweet spot. The larger the space you have the more likely you are to be outside the play area and tracking issues will arise. Games like Job Simulator and Holoball might be a bit of an issue but you don't have to have the camera set up on the tv.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

The closer the better it seems for the most part. The problem though in moving closer is it's easier for the camera to lose the move controllers.

ok, so I have a ps4 connected to a receiver that is connected to the TV via a hemi cable. how do I set up the psvr in this instance ? I can't remove the hemi cable from TV because the ps4 is connected to the receiver. any help?

Connect the receiver to the psvr
No. Lots of receivers cause display lag. It would be vomit city trying to run VR through a receiver - thus we have a breakout box.

ok, so I have a ps4 connected to a receiver that is connected to the TV via a hemi cable. how do I set up the psvr in this instance ? I can't remove the hemi cable from TV because the ps4 is connected to the receiver. any help?
PS4 to PSVR Processing Unit ONLY. From the PU out to your receiver for the social screen.

Don't put a receiver between the PS4 and PSVR as many receivers introduce display (read: input) lag. You want 1:1 for head movement which means as little latency as possible.

No. Lots of receivers cause display lag. It would be vomit city trying to run VR through a receiver - thus we have a breakout box.

PS4 to PSVR Processing Unit ONLY. From the PU out to your receiver for the social screen.

Don't put a receiver between the PS4 and PSVR as many receivers introduce display (read: input) lag. You want 1:1 for head movement which means as little latency as possible.

ok, so I remove the hdmi cable(receiver to ps4) from the ps4 and connect to the psvr unit. then get the hdmi cable that comes to the psvr and connect psvr to ps4 correct?

what if I want to play ps4 without psvr? does it work even with psvr off?

Grinchy

Banned

I think if you're expecting to be able to move around hassle-free like the Vive allows, you'll be disappointed. If you are looking forward to the sitting games, you'll be quite satisfied. That's just my opinion. The sitting games are fantastic and are the reason I really, really like PSVR. But the standing games make me wish I had a Vive.

I didn't know that

Here's a new PSVR experience for you all: if you take a break and happen to set your headset on the floor a spider might just crawl into it and walk across your face as you're playing a game! :-O

bumpkin

I fired up Rise of the Tomb Raider tonight and eventually dove into the Blood Ties DLC in VR. For those picking up the game for it, you have to play about an hour or so of the campaign to unlock the mode. You return to the Main Menu, choose Croft Manor, and you should see an option to play with VR (if your headset is on). Once you're in though? Damn is it cool! My decision to double dip on the game (and sell my backlogged XB1 copy) was definitely worth it. The atmosphere is great, the graphics quality is pretty solid, and it tells a cool bit of backstory in an interesting and immersive way.

They give you two control options, one with teleporting like in Batman: Arkham VR and a second where you move with the left stick and alter direction with the right stick. It forces you to start with scheme one until you've played for a bit. The second unlocks after that (it will prompt you), and you can switch to it in the Options under the Pause menu. Under scheme one, you hold L2 to aim a light - think Scavenger's Odyssey's jumping - and you will see a silhouette of Lara if it's somewhere you can "teleport" to. You press R2 while aiming and you transport to the position. From there, you rotate the camera in fixed increments with L1 and R1.

When using scheme two, you can't teleport anymore, but you can still use the fixed camera rotation. That was what I did - a hybrid - because the movement is slow and the free camera turning is slow too, making it feel kind of sluggish. There might be an option to speed it up, but I left it at the defaults.

So yeah, tl;dr: Tomb Raider's VR experience is awesome!

Skrams

Started and beat Rush of Blood and Batman today. Rush of Blood is super fun and I'm surprised how inventive it can get with a literal rollercoaster. If PS VR keeps cranking out arcade shooters like this, I will be very happy. Shoot shoot, flick to reload or point off screen. The way it's done in The London Heist shooting ranges is cool too with the magazines just sitting on the table.

Batman was what I expected. Hour long thing of "puzzles," and very much just a show off title. I'll play more of it since the Riddler stuff might be more interesting, but I'm not holding my breath.

The whole, turn your head and everything has instantly changed or oh look spooky ghosts stuff? That's good shit from these two games.

Anyone else experience this? After a day of VR, I'll usually get this weird thing where I feel like I'm in VR when I'm not. Sometimes, I even think I see my actual real world "wobble" like it does in VR. Weird.

Yeah, after my big session today my hands didn't feel like my hands. I was typing on my phone and my hands didn't feel connected. It's a weird feeling. Kind of like my whole head is detached from the body.

Tankshell

Hate to say it but I sold my PSVR last week. Loved almost everything about it... but the tracking was just not good enough, too many annoying issues with it.

A have a Rift so might pickup a set of Touch controllers this week and see how they fair in comparison.

Been stuck at the end of level 3 in Rush of Blood since launch, stupid flying bats and beating heart thingy.

Concentrate on the bats that look like they will be hitting you, you don't need to concentrate fire on the heart until they are cleared out the way. It's not too hard tbh, I actually used that level to do the "complete a level only using pistols" trophy.

SHarris78

Concentrate on the bats that look like they will be hitting you, you don't need to concentrate fire on the heart until they are cleared out the way. It's not too hard tbh, I actually used that level to do the "complete a level only using pistols" trophy.

Will give it a go, cheers.

Am keeping Bound, Eagle Flight, Thumper and Rez (if my physical version arrives) for xmas, already got other games I haven't played at all since bought at launch. The backlog- it begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom