• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
is psvr Worlds worth it? 40 bucks it is kind of expensive, maybe I should wait for a price drop

Look around you might pick it up cheaper but I've had a blast playing The Heist, Scavenger's Odyssey and Dangerball. Ocean Decent (the shark one) is pretty cool too. VR Luge is alright but the worst game on the disc.

The Heist needs to become its own game, such a great VR experience.

I'll bite when it's $10. Basically a collection of tech demos. Should've been a free pack-in

Look around you might pick it up cheaper but I've had a blast playing The Heist, Scavenger's Odyssey and Dangerball. Ocean Decent (the shark one) is pretty cool too. VR Luge is alright but the worst game on the disc.

The Heist needs to become its own game, such a great VR experience.

that is what I figured, 20 bucks would be a better price. I will wait.

ok, so I remove the hdmi cable(receiver to ps4) from the ps4 and connect to the psvr unit. then get the hdmi cable that comes to the psvr and connect psvr to ps4 correct?

what if I want to play ps4 without psvr? does it work even with psvr off?
Yes and yes.

PS4 to the PSVR Processing unit. Then you have an OUT on the PU which will go to your receiver. Receiver to TV as normal.

You don't have to turn on the PSVR for the signal to pass through. Just play as normal. The PU will always be on while your PS4 is on. The headset is the only thing you can turn on/off.

Yes and yes.

PS4 to the PSVR Processing unit. Then you have an OUT on the PU which will go to your receiver. Receiver to TV as normal.

You don't have to turn on the PSVR for the signal to pass through. Just play as normal. The PU will always be on while your PS4 is on. The headset is the only thing you can turn on/off.

awesome, I will set up later today, yesterday I took the day to do some wire management, and later I will finally set up since my camera was just delivered.

THANK YOU!!! I will post some impressions later

bumpkin

I'll bite when it's $10. Basically a collection of tech demos. Should've been a free pack-in
Worlds is easily the PSVR game I've gotten the most mileage out of. Almost every single sub-game in the package presents the user with a compelling experience, even if they aren't all super long or aren't interactive (I'm looking at you, Ocean Descent). The London Heist was my first VR revelation and made me wish they'd do a follow-on full game. Shark Encounter in Ocean Descent was the experience that blew my mind when I tried a version of it at Best Buy prior to release. Danger Ball is loads of fun, my only complaint is no multiplayer versus other people. Scavenger's Odyssey makes me pine for a VR Metroid and wish they'd do a follow-up. And VR Luge is a fun if not short (four tracks) experience.

So yeah, I couldn't disagree with you more.

Worlds is easily the PSVR game I've gotten the most mileage out of. Almost every single sub-game in the package presents the user with a compelling experience, even if they aren't all super long or aren't interactive (I'm looking at you, Ocean Descent). The London Heist was my first VR revelation and made me wish they'd do a follow-on full game. Shark Encounter in Ocean Descent was the experience that blew my mind when I tried a version of it at Best Buy prior to release. Danger Ball is loads of fun, my only complaint is no multiplayer versus other people. Scavenger's Odyssey makes me pine for a VR Metroid and wish they'd do a follow-up. And VR Luge is a fun if not short (four tracks) experience.

I concur. Don't care much for Odyssey, but the other three games are worth the $40.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Goddamn the tracking is god awful in Batman even with the update. Everything was also so big and I was way too short. They don't offer the ability to change floor height like in Job Simulator (which, despite having issues, also tracks MUCH better) and you can't recalibrate where center is so I was drifted 45 degrees to the right by the end of my play session and couldn't do anything about it.

Also, I thought the Pro was supposed to fix the lower resolution on the edges of your vision? I never played it before Pro but it was still horrible. I had to look directly at something for it to even be distinguishable.

Overall it was a very disappointing experience. My most disappointing out of every full game I've played in VR (not counting some bad demos). There were definitely some really cool moments and I could see how it would be better with Vive, but man... bummer.

I've played this game in PS4 and PRO and haven't experience NOT ONE of these issues.

SuperJay

Noticing fair amount of wobble in Rigs and Job Simulator (less noticeable in Batman, but sometimes there)

Has anyone confirmed if putting the camera on a tripod or sticking it to the wall --ie something more steady than a thin tv -- is s surefire fix? Or is wobble simply a problem with the camera tracking and/or software?

My dudes...I am so excited for X-Wing VR on Tuesday.

This is something I've dreamed about since I was a kid. I was 9 years old when X-Wing came out. Whenever I played it, I made sure to turn all the lights off, sit really close to the screen and turn the sound up. I even considered finding a black sheet to put over my head and the monitor to simulate a cockpit experience!

Screen-Shot-2015-02-09-at-3.46.58-PM.png

Rebel Assault came out that same year, and it also had X-Wing missions.
rebel-assault.png

I also played the hell out of the Rogue Squadron series.

Anyway, I realize this isn't the full game that we deserve, but hopefully it's the start of something. Also hoping this is Pro enhanced :)

*Splinter

Agree with this, each of the games could have been $10 on its own.

Whether or not you think 5 $10 games is worth $40 is personal preference though, I guess.

Kyolux

Not trying to make it harder for you but they are both amazing and inexpensive.

20% off isn't enough for me to go with it.

And it's still over $50 for both of them (CDN dollars). I'm going to wait. I need to stop buying VR games. I have too many already. Too much expenses with xmas and stuff right now.

Glix

And it's still over $50 for both of them (CDN dollars). I'm going to wait. I need to stop buying VR games. I have too many already. Too much expenses with xmas and stuff right now.

And this right here is why Sony is infuriatingly dumb to not have implemented gifting on PSN. Because GAF likes to step up.

Kyolux

And this right here is why Sony is infuriatingly dumb to not have implemented gifting on PSN. Because GAF likes to step up.

Haha yeah, but I don't deserve the gifting when I bought some of the other games that are more expensive and not as good. :/

Has anyone tried P.T. in PSVR Cinemea Mode?

I tried it a couple of nights ago, damn, it almost tricks you into thinking it is a VR game, it is pretty awesome in Cinema Mode. Feels claustrophobic, and creepy.

antibolo

Banned

I'm in the same boat. It's not really a sale if we still end up being charged more than the regular US price.

I want Thumper but $21.59 is still $1.60 more than what I should have to pay for it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I bought a mic stand for my camera... works great. Easy to set perfect height and angle now.

Recommended.

DavidDesu

Noticing fair amount of wobble in Rigs and Job Simulator (less noticeable in Batman, but sometimes there)

Has anyone confirmed if putting the camera on a tripod or sticking it to the wall --ie something more steady than a thin tv -- is s surefire fix? Or is wobble simply a problem with the camera tracking and/or software?

I wonder how much it has to do with the camera being absolutely level. I have the stand that the camera clips onto and it hooks over the top of my tv. Sometimes it doesn't sit flush on but at an angle (it clips onto it on the right hand side and doesn't always sit flush with the rest of the stand) and I found the wobble to be more pronounced one of these times when it was at an angle. Obviously the stereoscopic tracking must definitely be helped and i guess the software expects it to be perfectly level, so this could be a big part of it. Or maybe not, you'd kinda think they'd take into account this and indeed I'm absolutely certain I remember reading that the camera itself has a gyro in it so it knows what degree it's angled at... Maybe it's that?!

I do hope Sony come forth and tell us what's going on, I did think that the headset tracking would be more solid than it is. Don't mind the small tracking area but expect it to just work when I'm sat 4 feet away and not suffer such obvious 1-2inch wobbles back and forth.

Glix

New PS VR demos in stores tomorrow, including Star Wars Battlefront Rogue One: X-wing VR Mission

There is a demo for xwing mission????

And they are updating the store on Friday?

I'm highly skeptical of both of these pieces of information.

My dudes...I am so excited for X-Wing VR on Tuesday.

This is something I've dreamed about since I was a kid. I was 9 years old when X-Wing came out. Whenever I played it, I made sure to turn all the lights off, sit really close to the screen and turn the sound up. I even considered finding a black sheet to put over my head and the monitor to simulate a cockpit experience!

Screen-Shot-2015-02-09-at-3.46.58-PM.png

Rebel Assault came out that same year, and it also had X-Wing missions.
rebel-assault.png

I also played the hell out of the Rogue Squadron series.

Anyway, I realize this isn't the full game that we deserve, but hopefully it's the start of something. Also hoping this is Pro enhanced :)
^___^ I'm with you bro, I'm so excited! It's one of my most anticipated games VR games/experiences. I too was 9 when X-Wing came out and I remember playing it on my dad's PC. I'm also hoping this leads to more fleshed out Star Wars space combat games in the future.

^___^ I'm with you bro, I'm so excited! It's one of my most anticipated games VR games/experiences. I too was 9 when X-Wing came out and I remember playing it on my dad's PC. I'm also hoping this leads to more fleshed out Star Wars space combat games in the future.

I was 12 and played them all, give them VR space games to me, I need them!!

Has anyone tried P.T. in PSVR Cinemea Mode?

I tried it a couple of nights ago, damn, it almost tricks you into thinking it is a VR game, it is pretty awesome in Cinema Mode. Feels claustrophobic, and creepy.
I also tried it a couple nights ago, and I lasted about 3 minutes. Scary as SHIT while isolated in VR and wearing headphones. Still the king of horror games.

high five!

I was 12 and played them all, give them VR space games to me, I need them!!
I'm eagerly anticipating the Pro patch for EVE Valkyrie. I'll finally start investing some time into it!

Bebpo

Banned
It was $32 on Amazon Prime, which is a much easier pill to swallow.

Is the game discontinued or something? I haven't seen it available on Amazon for weeks. It's the only VR game that's not available. Third parties have it but they want $60+

I figure I'll probably end up buying it digital, but I'm trying to buy as much stuff physical as possible so I can bring VR to friends/family along with games so they can try it for themselves without having to bring the PS4.

With the semester finally letting up, I have some free time, but I'm torn on how to spend it! Final Fantasy or VR?!

Also, getting a PSVR has finally allowed me to understand why companies release consoles and then have a drought period shortly after launch. Because there's nothing new to buy, I just end up buying everything that's already out. Stuff I wouldn't even normally buy just because I want something to play in VR.

I figure I'll probably end up buying it digital, but I'm trying to buy as much stuff physical as possible so I can bring VR to friends/family along with games so they can try it for themselves without having to bring the PS4.
The flipside is that you should want all VR games digital so you don't have to take off the headset to swap discs. I'ved tried swapping blind and it's not pretty.

Stealth PT brag posts make me cry.

I didn't have a PS4 yet its not my fault!!!!
The story of PT's development is one of the most tragic stories in gaming. The tragedy continues with Death Stranding and that ridiculous goofy teaser we got at E3 :(

bumpkin

New PS VR demos in stores tomorrow, including Star Wars Battlefront Rogue One: X-wing VR Mission

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...ng-to-retailers-nationwide-starting-tomorrow/

Move along
If the reveal trailer was any indication, I fully expect it to be barf inducing because of the speed and the banking and turning. Awesome, but barf inducing. So hopefully retailers have their Bissell Little Green Steam Machines handy for the demo area.

With the semester finally letting up, I have some free time, but I'm torn on how to spend it! Final Fantasy or VR?!

Also, getting a PSVR has finally allowed me to understand why companies release consoles and then have a drought period shortly after launch. Because there's nothing new to buy, I just end up buying everything that's already out. Stuff I wouldn't even normally buy just because I want something to play in VR.
FWIW, I got PSVR within a short time of getting Gears of War 4 (and I'm a HUGE Gears fan), and I haven't touched Gears 4 since getting PSVR. So my vote goes to VR.

Glix

Is the game discontinued or something? I haven't seen it available on Amazon for weeks. It's the only VR game that's not available. Third parties have it but they want $60+

While that is noble of you I have found that especially for VR i have been going all digital because having to take the headset and headphones off every time I want to switch discs really sucks. Also if you have digital you can just sign in and download it to their PS4 as long as they have a good connection. Many of the games are reasonably sized.

The flipside is that you should want all VR games digital so you don't have to take off the headset to swap discs. I'ved tried swapping blind and it's not pretty.

While this doesn't work for disc swapping, if I need to find something near me in the room and I have the headset on, I boot up a VR game and use the "make sure you don't bump into anything around you" cam feed screen to find what I am looking for lol.

valeu

in case there are others in the same boat as me, i.e., have psvr in a country where psvr hasn't launched yet, which means there are no psvr-only games (or VR DLC) on your country's psn store for download.......here's a few games you can download (that can be played on both ps4 or psvr):

1. Rez Infinite
2. Thumper
3. 100 Ft. Robot Golf
4. Bound
5. VEV: Viva Ex Vivo
6. Volume (was patched with the VR component and can be played)
7. Rise of the Tomb Raider: Blood Ties

But, for ex. Super Stardust Ultra has a new VR section that must be downloaded as DLC which is not available for dl in my Brazilian psn store (and I was under the impression that the whole game could be played in VR but that's not true, just the new tank section). I also wrongly thought that The Playroom VR would be on an included disk but it's DLC also (not available until launch).

I can't say for these if they are built to be for both PS4 and PSVR, or are patched, or must be downloaded as DLC:
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA X
Trackmania Turbo
Hustle Kings
Gnog (coming soon)
Space Rift (coming soon)

Bebpo

Banned
While that is noble of you I have found that especially for VR i have been going all digital because having to take the headset and headphones off every time I want to switch discs really sucks. Also if you have digital you can just sign in and download it to their PS4 as long as they have a good connection. Many of the games are reasonably sized.

While this doesn't work for disc swapping, if I need to find something near me in the room and I have the headset on, I boot up a VR game and use the "make sure you don't bump into anything around you" cam feed screen to find what I am looking for lol.

Eh, while digital is nice and I agree with you, I usually play a single game for a while and don't swap around much so I don't mind getting up. The only time I wish I'd bought more games digital is with fighting games when I have friends over and we have to swap every time we change to a different fighter. But with VR since like 70% of VR games are indie digital-only so I'll have plenty of ones where I don't need to swap the discs.

Also I thought I read something here that said you're supposed to do hard off/on reboots between games to realign the VR something?

But I have a lot of friends with PS4s who have no interest in PS VR and I'll be lending it to them with a stack of games more than likely.

muteki

If the reveal trailer was any indication, I fully expect it to be barf inducing because of the speed and the banking and turning. Awesome, but barf inducing. So hopefully retailers have their Bissell Little Green Steam Machines handy for the demo area.
Do we know it isn't on rails?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom