• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joystick

No its some kind of bug. Ive mentioned its happening to me in here too. It wont ever power down if I put the ps4 in rest mode. Will only turn red if I shut down completely.

Well I've now been hit with the white light bug. Previously when people reported this I used to think that it was just because something was downloading in the background in rest mode but now it's happening to me.

I've had PS VR for about 6 weeks. I always use rest mode. The PS VR PU always powered off and went red when the PS4 was in rest mode - until now. I was near the PS VR PU and could hear the fan so I investigated and found it showed a white light like it was still on and the PS4 showed the yellow rest light. So I figured there was a patch or something downloading but when I checked there was nothing downloading or uploading and I now when I put it back into Rest mode the PSVR PU stays on with a white light - it won't turn off like it used to.

The only thing that I did differently prior to the white light is put the PS4 into rest mode WITHOUT closing the game (Bound) - normally I always close the game first. That may have triggered it but could be a coincidence.

After some investigation here's what is happening to me:
  • Fully turn off PS4 from menu (not rest): PU turns off with red light
  • Power on again and put into rest mode: PU stays on with white light
  • Nothing is downloading or uploading. I have fast cable Internet so it can't be some trophy sync or other access - the problem has been there at least all day.
  • PU stays on/white permanently (left for hours)
  • If I disable USB power in rest mode it makes no difference
  • If I disable suspending apps in rest mode it makes no difference
  • If I disable NETWORK in rest mode it FIXES the problem, as some other people have reported. Enable network again and problem returns
  • I have repeated the above and the problem is consistent
  • I'm on the latest PS4 update and have been using it for at least a week

Here's the strange part: the PS4 ITSELF is behaving differently when network in rest mode is enabled/disabled, like it's still doing something.
  • With network enabled the PS4 WHITE light flashes during shutdown and then goes yellow, HDMI signal to TV is lost. When I press the PS button on the controller the PS4 starts IMMEDIATELY. Like 1 second. It's like it was never off/instant resume. I have never noticed this before.
  • With network disabled the PS4 YELLOW light flashes during shutdown and then goes permanent yellow, HDMI signal to TV is lost. When I press the PS button on the controller the PS4 takes about 10 seconds to start. This is normal for me.

So it appears as though the PS4 itself is in some light rest mode that causes the problem as it is probably sending some "on" power state signal to the PS VR PU like when it is downloading. I just can't figure out what the PS4 is stuck trying to do with the network.

I own it, if Robinson The Journey makes you ill, this will too. Feels the same, but they don't really bother my VR legs...

Robinson definitely gave me trouble with my VR legs. I dunno if it's something about the movement in it or what, but so far I've only had trouble with Robinson and RE7.

I'm gonna try a few of the tricks I've read online to see if they help:
  • Chewing a piece of ginger (I have candied ginger I use for baking)
  • Standing instead of sitting
  • Chewing gum
  • At worst, taking dramamine before

It's funny because I've never really gotten motion sick before.

Well I've now been hit with the white light bug. Previously when people reported this I used to think that it was just because something was downloading in the background in rest mode but now it's happening to me.

I have recently had this myself when I had never had it before, happened when I switched to the pro. What I found after 5 to 15 mins it will shut down. This also happens if I don't turn PSVR on.

You really should. Great game. In my top 3 PSVR experiences. Anyone thinking about playing it should do it sooner rather than later because who knows how long the online community will last for it.

Ive seen this said a few times, but it's across all three platforms, surely if it's a good game it'll maintain a userbase?

Maligna

Banned
Ive seen this said a few times, but it's across all three platforms, surely if it's a good game it'll maintain a userbase?

Nearly every game's multiplayer community eventually drops off, and with VR games I assume it happens faster considering there aren't that many headsets out there to begin with. Being crossplay will definitely help though.

I've adjusted the eye distance from what the calibration says mine should be (64) to 55 and it's definitely made a difference with the sharpness of the image. Wearing my glasses has definitely helped too.
The position you wear the headset in also seems to make a huge difference. If I wear it slightly further up at the front than I instinctively want to pull it to then it seems to make the picture a little sharper. I suspect it's simply a case of everyone finding their 'sweet spot' based on things like their vision and simply the size of their head.

Still baffles me that you can't adjust the sharpness with some sort of slider. It's too much of a hassle calibrating the PSVR. My son and I use the same PSVR on 2 different PS4's and it's tiresome to go to the calibrating again, and again and again when switching users.

Please make this easier Sony.

Shoeless

I read your review on this and I have to admit, you're kind of selling me on Fruit Ninja. I was curious about the game, but reading that it has very good Move tracking AND allows you to dual-wield katanas sounds like a lot of fun.

If this ever goes on sale, I'll probably bite, but with so many full-sized AAA games coming down the line in the first half of the new year, it'll be a while before I can get around to playing this game, so I can wait.

bumpkin

I read your review on this and I have to admit, you're kind of selling me on Fruit Ninja. I was curious about the game, but reading that it has very good Move tracking AND allows you to dual-wield katanas sounds like a lot of fun.

If this ever goes on sale, I'll probably bite, but with so many full-sized AAA games coming down the line in the first half of the new year, it'll be a while before I can get around to playing this game, so I can wait.
That's what I'm thinking, too. I'm sure I'd get my money's worth out of it, but I just got Here They Lie (on sale) and RE7 is dropping in a few weeks. It isn't like I don't have anything to play on PSVR.

Shoeless

That's what I'm thinking, too. I'm sure I'd get my money's worth out of it, but I just got Here They Lie (on sale) and RE7 is dropping in a few weeks. It isn't like I don't have anything to play on PSVR.

For me it's more a case of drifting back to traditional games. I love VR, but I also love my Japanese games, and those are back with a vengeance in 2017. January alone has Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, and, of course, Resident Evil 7, so, at least for me, January is my personal November in terms of hurting my wallet with anticipated games.

Kalentan

Hey guys so I played the Driveclub VR demo and didn't feel the motion sickness others felt. Is it worth it? I liked the base game but I just worry the VR version, even at $20, will be lacking stuff the original game has. (Don't even think there is Bikes VR?)

RoyalFool

Banned
Hey guys so I played the Driveclub VR demo and didn't feel the motion sickness others felt. Is it worth it? I liked the base game but I just worry the VR version, even at $20, will be lacking stuff the original game has. (Don't even think there is Bikes VR?)

No bikes (that was a stand-alone game/expansion thingy) but it has most of the content from the full fat title. For the sale price it's totally worth it if you can get past the graphics downgrade, it has the most depth and replay-ability of any VR title with all the clan challenges, multiplayer, single player and various other modes.

There's still lots of (maybe all?) tracks and around 80 cars.

Plus a full online mode, with the community getting a nice little boost over the holidays. This is a game you can dump dozens of hours in to.

If you enjoyed the demo and don't mind the visual shortcomings $20 is a no brainer.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
The only reason I haven't picked up DriveClub VR is due to wanting a nice steering wheel setup all ready for the VR plunge. I'll probably invest in it later this year.

RoyalFool

Banned
The only reason I haven't picked up DriveClub VR is due to wanting a nice steering wheel setup all ready for the VR plunge. I'll probably invest in it later this year.

If you have one of the newer pads, enable motion controls and connect it to the PS4 via USB and it eliminates input lag.

bumpkin

For me it's more a case of drifting back to traditional games. I love VR, but I also love my Japanese games, and those are back with a vengeance in 2017. January alone has Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, and, of course, Resident Evil 7, so, at least for me, January is my personal November in terms of hurting my wallet with anticipated games.
For sure, I've got plenty of those to play through as well. I want to replay The Last Guardian to get some of the other trophies I missed, and I picked up Final Fantasy XV last week. Not to mention I downloaded Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero which looks like loads of fun.

I will tell you though, PSVR has been one of the first genuinely exciting things gaming in the last several years (after the original Wii). That's why I wish there were more full-fledged games available for it. The "experiences" like in Rise of the Tomb Raider are neat, sure, but something with more meat would be welcome.

Alienous

I will say I was less afraid playing the Resident Evil 7 demo in VR, despite only experiencing the more terrifying bits of the new update in VR.

The 'this is so cool' nullified most of the 'this is fucking terrifying'.

zoukka

I will say I was less afraid playing the Resident Evil 7 demo in VR, despite only experiencing the more terrifying bits of the new update in VR.

Rush of Blood was super scary in sections like the fucking twisting and teleporting nurse. I imagine resi will be more scary when you face the enemies in the full game.

"This is so cool" lasted like 10 minutes until it became"Holy shit I can't handle this bae take it off take it off!" Lol worst part is all that did was make her pre order reVii..I'ma die of shock

For 20$ it's definitely worth it. I enjoyed every single minute even though I already platinumed the original game back when it came out.

I got Robinson today as a late Xmas present. Was planning to buy it anyway so that's kinda cool :)

I just finished "I Expect You To Die" this afternoon, here is a quick little review;

Graphics in IEYTD are good. They have a style and stick to it and the environments and props look great to me.

Gameplay is clever, the escape room vibe mixed with a little job simulatir chaos works really well, I had a blast and and a huge grin on my face on more than one occasion.

The audio was a little underwhelming maybe. The dialogue would end abruptly if you triggered something else. The intro is great and the opening song is a definite James Bond tribute.

All in all I'd give IEYTD 4.5/5 and only because of its length. It's a little short and a little light on replayability. But if the worst thing I can say about a game is that it leaves me wanting more, I'm not sure that's such a negative.

XPertRU

Quick request, if you enjoyed VEV and have the time, give us a rating on PSN store? :) I think a big chunk of impressions were for the pre-VR update, and while I think I'm the only one that cares about the store ratings at this point, its one of the few user metrics we get :)
I never buy V.E.V. just because that worm-like thing looks disgusting. :/

majik13

I've had PS VR for about 6 weeks. I always use rest mode. The PS VR PU always powered off and went red when the PS4 was in rest mode - until now. I was near the PS VR PU and could hear the fan so I investigated and found it showed a white light like it was still on and the PS4 showed the yellow rest light. So I figured there was a patch or something downloading but when I checked there was nothing downloading or uploading and I now when I put it back into Rest mode the PSVR PU stays on with a white light - it won't turn off like it used to.

The only thing that I did differently prior to the white light is put the PS4 into rest mode WITHOUT closing the game (Bound) - normally I always close the game first. That may have triggered it but could be a coincidence.

After some investigation here's what is happening to me:
  • Fully turn off PS4 from menu (not rest): PU turns off with red light
  • Power on again and put into rest mode: PU stays on with white light
  • Nothing is downloading or uploading. I have fast cable Internet so it can't be some trophy sync or other access - the problem has been there at least all day.
  • PU stays on/white permanently (left for hours)
  • If I disable USB power in rest mode it makes no difference
  • If I disable suspending apps in rest mode it makes no difference
  • If I disable NETWORK in rest mode it FIXES the problem, as some other people have reported. Enable network again and problem returns
  • I have repeated the above and the problem is consistent
  • I'm on the latest PS4 update and have been using it for at least a week

Here's the strange part: the PS4 ITSELF is behaving differently when network in rest mode is enabled/disabled, like it's still doing something.
  • With network enabled the PS4 WHITE light flashes during shutdown and then goes yellow, HDMI signal to TV is lost. When I press the PS button on the controller the PS4 starts IMMEDIATELY. Like 1 second. It's like it was never off/instant resume. I have never noticed this before.
  • With network disabled the PS4 YELLOW light flashes during shutdown and then goes permanent yellow, HDMI signal to TV is lost. When I press the PS button on the controller the PS4 takes about 10 seconds to start. This is normal for me.

So it appears as though the PS4 itself is in some light rest mode that causes the problem as it is probably sending some "on" power state signal to the PS VR PU like when it is downloading. I just can't figure out what the PS4 is stuck trying to do with the network.

Cool, thanks for this. Ive also been seeing a lot of weird stuff when trying to remote play into my ps4. Like it powers on for a second, and then immediately quits back to rest mode. Some times I can get in. But once I get an error getting in like this, I then cant ever get in, until I go and manually turn the ps4 on. Anyways, maybe its worth doing a database rebuild or something. Also are you on an OG or a Pro?
Also I'm wondering if it has something to do with the back USB port on the Pro? Maybe I should try switching that...

*Splinter

I don't usually like tiny games - even if appropriately priced they don't feel worth my time. V.E.V is an exception to that though, fantastic little game.

somme

Yeah, I'd wait for a sale. It's good, but as I said in the review: pricey for what you get. Lots of replayability though and yeah slashing fruit with katanas is fun.

I would pay through the roof for a title where I could slash enemies with that high quality level of tracking.

Nice job with the write-ups at your site. One thing I believe people would appreciate is if you could add a Pro Support indicator in the blurb of quick facts at the top of your reviews. A simple 'Yes" or "No" at minimum would be decent enough, but any Pro details you choose to provide would be cool as well.

Will do!

Werewolves Within is so much fun with a good group. I've found a few but been separated from them because of the crashing issue on PS Pro with this game. Starting to worry that it isn't going to be fixed. Ubisoft doesn't seem to be saying much about the game. I hope I'm wrong.

Werewolves Within is so much fun with a good group. I've found a few but been separated from them because of the crashing issue on PS Pro with this game. Starting to worry that it isn't going to be fixed. Ubisoft doesn't seem to be saying much about the game. I hope I'm wrong.

I played it for the first time yesterday and it was great! The only problem I had was that the game crashed on my Pro. Hopefully it gets fixed soon because this game is too much fun for me to pass up

I played it for the first time yesterday and it was great! The only problem I had was that the game crashed on my Pro. Hopefully it gets fixed soon because this game is too much fun for me to pass up

I actually just read that the devs are doing an AMA this Thursday so hopefully that means the game is going to get some attention.

Played through Batman for the first time yesterday. Gosh that story was a bit unexpected. I knew it was short going in, but the game still felt like it stopped short, just as the interactions seemed to be getting more interesting. I was happy to find some replayability though, and the ending was very well done.

I hope Rocksteady expand on these ideas and it's great seeing this kind of production value in a VR game. I not sure of any other VR game that has characters as detailed and well animated as this one. Getting to look at them up close is a real joy, and I was very happy to hear they got back their ghost cast for the characters.

I wouldn't feel so much like Batman if it wasn't Kevin Conroy, you know? Tracking precision wasn't terrible for the most part, but I can definitely feel the headset tracking starts to get a bit more swimmy at the kind of distance the game wants me to stand. I'll consider rebuying this if I get a Vive at some point, and I'll definitely hunt down the extras I'm missing because it's great exploring these environments.

Well I am thoroughly enjoying Arkham VR at the moment, playing in short sessions as I want to enjoy it rather than rush through it. My friend has offered to sell me Robinson for £30, do you all think it's worth getting? How does it compare graphically to the likes of Arkham? Bare in mind I don't have a Pro...

Shoeless

Well I am thoroughly enjoying Arkham VR at the moment, playing in short sessions as I want to enjoy it rather than rush through it. My friend has offered to sell me Robinson for £30, do you all think it's worth getting? How does it compare graphically to the likes of Arkham? Bare in mind I don't have a Pro...

It's one of the games that benefits hugely from having a Pro, so if you're on an original PS4, it'll be a bit of a drop off in image quality, unfortunately. It'll look similar to the RE7 Kitchen demo that's on the demo disc, for comparison. Kind of blurry and pixelated.

Robinson is also up there with Here They Lie and the RE7 demo for motion sickness, so you might want to try it first to see how you fare.

Maligna

Banned
Man, Fruit Ninja is way more fun with one sword rather than 2. Feel like a legit ninja. Especially when you hold it in 2 hands and "sheath" it whenever you have a down moment.

God damn I want a narrative game with sword play now. I hope Golem is good.

zoukka

Going by word to mouth it won't take long till you can find Robinson very very cheap.

It's one of the games that benefits hugely from having a Pro, so if you're on an original PS4, it'll be a bit of a drop off in image quality, unfortunately. It'll look similar to the RE7 Kitchen demo that's on the demo disc, for comparison. Kind of blurry and pixelated.

Robinson is also up there with Here They Lie and the RE7 demo for motion sickness, so you might want to try it first to see how you fare.
That explains that than. Never had motion sickness so I couldn't quite tell how I was feeling. Went thru multiple VR games that day too. Open Robinson played for like 4 minutes and took the headset off feeling mad funny. Thru me off for the rest of the day

Omerta

I'll be buying one of these things as soon as I can find them in stock in Australia but hopefully by the time that happens...

[portbeg] Drinkbox studios will have announced that they are porting Severerd to psvr [portbeg]

<drool>

antibolo

Banned
Still baffles me that you can't adjust the sharpness with some sort of slider. It's too much of a hassle calibrating the PSVR. My son and I use the same PSVR on 2 different PS4's and it's tiresome to go to the calibrating again, and again and again when switching users.

Please make this easier Sony.

I agree with you, but isn't the calibration user-specific?

Bebpo

Banned
So Batman VR graphically looks like 10x better than every other VR game. The visuals really blew me away. Also it was very cool...until my VR went out of sync and my hands would jittery all over the place and the headset kept trying to like reposition every 2 seconds I turned my head.

Turned the system off and on again which fixed it, but then I went to reload it from the spot I was at in the holding cell and wtf it starts me all the way back in the morgue and I don't really want to do like 20 minutes over again :| Will finish it some other day, but otherwise was really impressive. I wish RE7 was more interactive like this (also teleport movement like this).

Also kinda bummed there's no scenes where you city in the batmobile as it drives around the city.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
I tried Eagle Flight yesterday. Really like it and you get to zoom over Paris without any motion sickness.

Also, the graphics are really sharp. Not a bit of blur. I was starting to think that VR equates to crap muddy graphics, but clearly that is not the case as some games (like this) are really well optimised for VR.

I suspect it won't have enough to keep me playing for the long term, but I think its the closest we will get to open world on VR for a while.

bought fruit ninja VR and Lethal VR.

If i had planned better and wasn't a dazed cockhead, I would have bought these 2 with all the other games I bought and used my 15% off total code. fark.

Impressions to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom