• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluecondor

Do they offer 3D movies in the PS Store? If they don't maybe they are waiting until they do?

The whole thing sucks, especially because we know it is technically feasible.

That's a good question. I don't know the answer to that. But - I think you are on the right track. I think it's fair to suspect that whatever issues would keep 3D movies out of the PS store would be related to why they aren't releasing a 3D player that already exists.

I want to thank everyone who helped me with my questions about tracking and camera placement. For those of you curious about this, the aforementioned Job Simulator PSVR FAQ does a great job laying out how everything works and should check it out (http://jobsimulatorgame.com/psvrfaq/). Thinking about the camera as a vision cone helped me a bunch. Also try to adjust your eye distance within the VR settings if you have not already. Could be placebo, but I swear the image quality improved for me (but how would this impact guests using the device as per second question below)?

I have another pretty dumb question: what is the correct process to turn off the headset and play normal PS4 games with no vr? If I power it off it sometimes gets stuck in the weird low-res theater mode screen. Should I restart the PS4 after turning off the headset (kinda annoying)? Do I ever need to disconnect the breakout box if I'm not using VR for a bit, or should I leave that thing attached and on at all times?

Also one more question! What's your advice for getting people to try it on in a group setting and making sure they're not seeing a subpar blurry picture? I tried to show some family members VR but it was admittedly clunky to have both an App or game ready, AND have them in position and tightened headset in the right place on their head.

Cheers and thanks again. It's been a lot of fun to see what particular thing blows people's minds in VR.

You are right. It doesn't look like a bad N64 game. Not even close. I was just really disappointed with how it looked as my expectations were ridiculously high for a driving game. I hope that we get a racing game designed specifically for VR.

It's not so much that it looks bad, it's that it is very blurry. Also I feel like the entire thing looks dull even on the TV screen.

Still, I had a lot of fun with it and Driveclub shows that VR does really make driving games so much more immersive.

One of the problems with Driveclub that I had was looking at the stuff very close like the interior really tripped me out. I felt like I was cross eyed which doesn't happen to me in real life. You almost have to try to put it in your peripheral vision to play the game.

Your Ipd is not suited to you. Do the test and whatever it gives you try 3 below that. Mess around with it.

Any vr shit in the sale worth getting? I want job simulator I think but I worry about camera jank...

Also psvr worlds was disappointing but god dam Sony London hit it out the park with heist.

Headmaster is also on sale and people seem to really enjoy that. Do you have camera jank in other games? I have been lucky to not have any tracking issues or anything for the most part, and all the games play the way they should with Move Controllers.

Why I am saying this is because I have Job Simulator and it runs perfectly for us. No Jank, and it is very immersive and silly fun. I hardly get to play it because my 10 and 12 year old daughters always play it. They actually got the Platinum in the game, all by themselves. However, it is a pretty easy platinum but I made a huge deal out of it so they were really proud of the accomplishment.

Glix

Headmaster is also on sale and people seem to really enjoy that. Do you have camera jank in other games? I have been lucky to not have any tracking issues or anything for the most part, and all the games play the way they should with Move Controllers.

Why I am saying this is because I have Job Simulator and it runs perfectly for us. No Jank, and it is very immersive and silly fun. I hardly get to play it because my 10 and 12 year old daughters always play it. They actually got the Platinum in the game, all by themselves. However, it is a pretty easy platinum but I made a huge deal out of it so they were really proud of the accomplishment.

It is insane how quickly children take to VR. I let my friends 7 year old son try it and there was NO adjustment period. He didn't get sick from a single game. He just jumped right in and was all in, it was amazing.

Shoeless

It's hard not to be happy with two swords in your hands. and I don't mean that as a euphemism for anything, I swear.

This is one of the things that makes hopeful that someone over at EA is making a Stars Wars Jedi VR experience. I really, really, REALLY want to hold a lightsaber hilt in my hand, then hear the ignition sound kick as the blade lights up, then start deflecting blaster fire.

I still remember how much of a kick the Darth Vader confrontation was in that old Sega Star Wars Return of the Jedi arcade game. A VR version of that would instantly transform me from a mature adult to a giggling 10 year old.

Glix

This is one of the things that makes hopeful that someone over at EA is making a Stars Wars Jedi VR experience. I really, really, REALLY want to hold a lightsaber hilt in my hand, then hear the ignition sound kick as the blade lights up, then start deflecting blaster fire.

I still remember how much of a kick the Darth Vader confrontation was in that old Sega Star Wars Return of the Jedi arcade game. A VR version of that would instantly transform me from a mature adult to a giggling 10 year old.

That already happened to me when I turned around in my XWING to look at my Astromech and he beeped at me.

I just kept giggling. VR is amazing.

had PSVR and Arkham since day one. I've been hesitant to play it because of all the hype. I wanted to wait because if everything else proved disappointing, then at least there would be Arkham to look forward to.

I own about 40 VR titles on PSVR. Played Arkham for the first time last night.
Arkham is the second most impressive thing i've played on PSVR.

I wish there was something for combat (there is no combat), but the detective stuff and fidelity of the world on PS Pro is outstanding. Only RE7 is a better experience, and Arkham might still look a bit better.

For my money, so far the best experiences on VR, ie, the MUST HAVE titles are all very focused and take advantage of either perspective, player agency, or overall atmosphere.

If you own PSVR, the must have titles are:

1. Arkham PSVR
2. Job Simulator
3. I Expect you to Die
4. RE7 Demo
5. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
6. Werewolf Within
7. Tethered/Headmaster/DriveClubVR (tied because they're all solid and offer full experiences).

PSVR desperately needs a true sim game. Either mech or space ship or whatever.

Ecto311

Any heads up on when places are getting this back in stock? I got a $900 walmart gift card burning a hole in my pocket and I wanna check into this VR bullshit.

Shoeless

That already happened to me when I turned around in my XWING to look at my Astromech and he beeped at me.

I just kept giggling. VR is amazing.

Yeah, that was me as well, but since the X-Wing mission fulfilled the pilot fantasy, there's only the Jedi fantasy left.

The only other thing I'd love to see is some Star Wars virtual tourism stuff, like wandering around in the Millennium Falcon, the Rebel Hoth base, a Star Destroyer bridge, the Mos Eisely cantina and Jabba's throne room.

Glix

Yeah, that was me as well, but since the X-Wing mission fulfilled the pilot fantasy, there's only the Jedi fantasy left.

The only other thing I'd love to see is some Star Wars virtual tourism stuff, like wandering around in the Millennium Falcon, the Rebel Hoth base, a Star Destroyer bridge, the Mos Eisely cantina and Jabba's throne room.

I wanna jump off the ledge away from vader and have the falcon come and pick me up in VR

Flandy

I bought Loading Human
31873091401_fd26118d92.jpg

I have no idea what to expect except for bad controls

bumpkin

Not gonna lie, really enjoying Fruit Ninja VR lol
I want it, but I can't get with that price with so little content from what I gather. At least the iPhone game has a bunch of different blades and backgrounds and such. Is there anything extra whatsoever on the VR version?

Shoeless

I want it, but I can't get with that price with so little content from what I gather. At least the iPhone game has a bunch of different blades and backgrounds and such. Is there anything extra whatsoever on the VR version?

I have nothing to back it up, but I can't help but feel the Fruit Ninja game is likely to be a PS+ title at some point. Probably not for at least year or two, though.

LastNac

You couldn't leave PSVR if you tried.

I'm really smitten by the whole thing at this point. I was a huge VR doubter, but now I totally enjoy what I've experienced so far.

That said, I still want my traditional game experiences as well. I don't see myself enjoying every kind of experience/genre through VR.

There's not a lot there. It only has 4 modes, but it's a lot of fun. It's a game I come back to frequently to play for a few minutes at a time. The survival mode in particular is awesome.

It's also a perfect introduction to VR.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
had PSVR and Arkham since day one. I've been hesitant to play it because of all the hype. I wanted to wait because if everything else proved disappointing, then at least there would be Arkham to look forward to.

I own about 40 VR titles on PSVR. Played Arkham for the first time last night.
Arkham is the second most impressive thing i've played on PSVR.

I wish there was something for combat (there is no combat), but the detective stuff and fidelity of the world on PS Pro is outstanding. Only RE7 is a better experience, and Arkham might still look a bit better.

For my money, so far the best experiences on VR, ie, the MUST HAVE titles are all very focused and take advantage of either perspective, player agency, or overall atmosphere.

If you own PSVR, the must have titles are:

1. Arkham PSVR
2. Job Simulator
3. I Expect you to Die
4. RE7 Demo
5. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
6. Werewolf Within
7. Tethered/Headmaster/DriveClubVR (tied because they're all solid and offer full experiences).

PSVR desperately needs a true sim game. Either mech or space ship or whatever.

I'd add Thumper and Rez Infinite to that list.

Flandy

I tried Loading Human
Omg this is terrible
Sound is badly mixed, voice acting is bad, the actual quality voice acting audio is bad, the controls are really awkward when using moves, and for some reason they thought it'd be good idea to give you arms instead of just hands. I've only played around an hour so far but this has made a terrible impression

rObit

Banned
Got a PSVR for Christmas, having never tried VR of any kind before. My first impressions are really positive. It's totally immersive and like nothing I've experienced in games before. So, keeping those positive vibes in mind:

Is it common to have the tracking more or less give out after awhile of play? I was playing SportsBar VR for a good hour or so and all the tracking was pretty much rock solid. Then, with nothing changing at all, my Move controllers shifted to my right side and eventually behind me within the span of about 3 minutes. Doing the recenter thing didn't help at all. I turned both of the Move controllers off and back on again, which also didn't help. Backing all the way out and re calibrating might have done the trick but I was in the middle of a game of pool with someone online and felt bad for having to leave but I couldn't do anything with my virtual arms literally behind my back.

I played the demo version of DriveClub VR and did the one included track 6 or 7 times and ordered the game on Amazon immediately. I see several folks saying the game is ugly, but honestly it looks good enough for me. Being "that guy" who plays racing games in cockpit view anyway, it is so amazing to feel like I'm in the car with the headset, even just playing with a controller. Definitely my top VR experience so far.

I also loved Batman while it lasted. I accidentally burnt right through it and was kind of shocked when it ended. I know I'll go through it again and get more out of it, but I do wish it was just a longer experience.

Got a PSVR for Christmas, having never tried VR of any kind before. My first impressions are really positive. It's totally immersive and like nothing I've experienced in games before. So, keeping those positive vibes in mind:

Is it common to have the tracking more or less give out after awhile of play? I was playing SportsBar VR for a good hour or so and all the tracking was pretty much rock solid. Then, with nothing changing at all, my Move controllers shifted to my right side and eventually behind me within the span of about 3 minutes. Doing the recenter thing didn't help at all. I turned both of the Move controllers off and back on again, which also didn't help. Backing all the way out and re calibrating might have done the trick but I was in the middle of a game of pool with someone online and felt bad for having to leave but I couldn't do anything with my virtual arms literally behind my back.

I played the demo version of DriveClub VR and did the one included track 6 or 7 times and ordered the game on Amazon immediately. I see several folks saying the game is ugly, but honestly it looks good enough for me. Being "that guy" who plays racing games in cockpit view anyway, it is so amazing to feel like I'm in the car with the headset, even just playing with a controller. Definitely my top VR experience so far.

I also loved Batman while it lasted. I accidentally burnt right through it and was kind of shocked when it ended. I know I'll go through it again and get more out of it, but I do wish it was just a longer experience.

The tracking gets worse over extended play, especially if you leave your ps4 in rest mode - do a complete shutdown regularly and it helps prevent the tracking probs.

Driveclub is brilliant and is a fully featured deep experience that will last a long time if you get into it. 114 track combinations and over 80 cars to play with, it's a game that keeps pulling me back in.

Why when i put my ps4 to sleep the psvr processing unit stays on.. It used to turn off...

It powers up when downloading something - you can test this by downloading a demo from the store on your phone...

Lagamorph

I've adjusted the eye distance from what the calibration says mine should be (64) to 55 and it's definitely made a difference with the sharpness of the image. Wearing my glasses has definitely helped too.
The position you wear the headset in also seems to make a huge difference. If I wear it slightly further up at the front than I instinctively want to pull it to then it seems to make the picture a little sharper. I suspect it's simply a case of everyone finding their 'sweet spot' based on things like their vision and simply the size of their head.

I'm still utterly terrible at Rigs though no matter how well I can see.

I've also heard rumblings that the PS4 port of Elite Dangerous is planning on supporting PSVR. I've already got the game on PC, but if they really did include PSVR support, and my progress from the PC version could carry over, I'd be very tempted to double dip once the price came down a little bit since I'm not really planning on bothering with PC VR for a while longer yet due to a lack of titles that would be close to worth the investment of £500 for a graphics card upgrade, £700 for a headset and then probably the better part of another £100 for controllers.

Shoeless

I've also heard rumblings that the PS4 port of Elite Dangerous is planning on supporting PSVR. I've already got the game on PC, but if they really did include PSVR support, and my progress from the PC version could carry over, I'd be very tempted to double dip once the price came down a little bit since I'm not really planning on bothering with PC VR for a while longer yet due to a lack of titles that would be close to worth the investment of £500 for a graphics card upgrade, £700 for a headset and then probably the better part of another £100 for controllers.

We'll have to wait and see on this. I'm hopeful it comes true, but right now they only word we've officially gotten from the devs is that they're "looking into it." If they manage to follow through I'd lose months of my life. Also probably never even look at No Man's Sky again.

The tracking gets worse over extended play, especially if you leave your ps4 in rest mode - do a complete shutdown regularly and it helps prevent the tracking probs.

Driveclub is brilliant and is a fully featured deep experience that will last a long time if you get into it. 114 track combinations and over 80 cars to play with, it's a game that keeps pulling me back in.

It powers up when downloading something - you can test this by downloading a demo from the store on your phone...

I'm putting my system to sleep and I'm watching it not go off.. Thats normal... I wake up and its still on. Previously I'd put it to sleep and the little box would turn red

I bought Loading Human
31873091401_fd26118d92.jpg

I have no idea what to expect except for bad controls

I own it, if Robinson The Journey makes you ill, this will too. Feels the same, but they don't really bother my VR legs...

It does have some interesting moments, and one scene may make your significant other worry about you lol..

Flandy

I own it, if Robinson The Journey makes you ill, this will too. Feels the same, but they don't really bother my VR legs...

It does have some interesting moments, and one scene may make your significant other worry about you lol..
Doesn't make me sick at all but then again neither does Windlands. Haven't tried Robionson. How much more do I have left and does it get better?
Dad asked me to get something from his desk. He's in a coffin of some sort slowly dying.

rObit

Banned

Okay, that makes sense. I had been using sleep instead of full shutdown to charge the many controllers I now need, but I just got one of those charging stations that will charge 2 Move controllers and a PS4 controller, so I don't need to do that anymore. Also stoked to hear that Driveclub has a lot of content. Thanks for the info!

Lagamorph

Tried out Until Dawn Rush of Blood for the first time today.
Whoooooo, the rollercoastery bits were something else. Didn't make me feel ill, but definitely made my head spin a little, though in a good way really.

Also this game proves once and for all that Resident Evil VII is almost certainly a no go for VR with me. I could barely handle this and it's nowhere near the same level of horror/tension.

Nesotenso

I don't see the PSVR 499 bundle on sale anymore. Was it only a one time thing? Is it cheaper to buy the camera, move controllers and the headset separately?

Amazon doesn't seem to have the headset at 399 anymore.

joeblow

Launch bundle has been sold out since launch, with no indication that it will be restocked. Buying it all separately is definitely more expensive (two Moves is $100 alone), especially since the core VR headset has been sold out as well and requires you to pay a high markup to get one now.

Dominator

I don't see the PSVR 499 bundle on sale anymore. Was it only a one time thing? Is it cheaper to buy the camera, move controllers and the headset separately?

Amazon doesn't seem to have the headset at 399 anymore.
It was a launch bundle, so yeah only available for launch.

Grinchy

Banned
I totally expect them to put out another bundle next year during the Fall, but that's just my assumption.

They'll enjoy all the people paying $100 for two of their 2010 controllers that sat in a warehouse for a half decade leading up to it, too.

Doesn't make me sick at all but then again neither does Windlands. Haven't tried Robionson. How much more do I have left and does it get better?
Dad asked me to get something from his desk. He's in a coffin of some sort slowly dying.

You are ahead of me, sorry, lol. I wish I was more help

joeblow

I totally expect them to put out another bundle next year during the Fall, but that's just my assumption.

They'll enjoy all the people paying $100 for two of their 2010 controllers that sat in a warehouse for a half decade leading up to it, too.

At least get your facts straight before trying to make a joke... the current Move packs for sale indicate they are for the PS4 and feature PSVR marketing on the back, which of course isn't seven year old packaging.

Not to mention the fact that even this latest re-release remains sold out at Amazon and elsewhere. OG Move packs haven't been a thing for awhile now.

Tried out Until Dawn Rush of Blood for the first time today.
Whoooooo, the rollercoastery bits were something else. Didn't make me feel ill, but definitely made my head spin a little, though in a good way really.

Also this game proves once and for all that Resident Evil VII is almost certainly a no go for VR with me. I could barely handle this and it's nowhere near the same level of horror/tension.
Can you elaborate what you meant by this please?

majik13

Why when i put my ps4 to sleep the psvr processing unit stays on.. It used to turn off...

No its some kind of bug. Ive mentioned its happening to me in here too. It wont ever power down if I put the ps4 in rest mode. Will only turn red if I shut down completely. Some one mentioned swapping hdmi cables fixed the issue for them. But Im using the orginal hdmi cables that came with the unit and it still does it.

No its some kind of bug. Ive mentioned its happening to me in here too. It wont ever power down if I put the ps4 in rest mode. Will only turn red if I shut down completely. Some one mentioned swapping hdmi cables fixed the issue for them. But Im using the orginal hdmi cables that came with the unit and it still does it.

What have you got your USB ports set to? I guess setting them to turn off after 3 hours would power down the breakout box eventually?

majik13

What have you got your USB ports set to? I guess setting them to turn off after 3 hours would power down the breakout box eventually?
Pretty sure I tried that already. And it would still stay on all night. Didnt use to be an issue on my OG PS4. Dont think it happened when I first got my Pro, but not sure.

Unpluggimg the usb doesnt turn it off either. Not sure if that matters or not.

Edit: yeah checked it, has been set to 30 mins.

dimmer

I made my first full game purchases for the system, Headmaster and EVE Gunjack for a total of 18 euros.
Headmaster is f@$%^ng awesome!
The first time you get a 3 star rating
and the game throws at you a fire extinguisher
is hilarious!

Gunjack for 4-5 euros is certainly worth it. Old school Galaga type of shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom