• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't like Star Wars Vr Mission that much tbh. It was blurry even on the pro and felt it was padded for follow sequences.
I didn't like it because the scale is off and it doesn't allow a full range of motion in the X-Wing (you can't fly upside-down, for example) and the speed is way off too (it's super slow).

EVE: Valkyrie is a thousand times more fun...I just wish it had a Star Wars coat of paint!

I didn't like it because the scale is off and it doesn't allow a full range of motion in the X-Wing (you can't fly upside-down, for example) and the speed is way off too (it's super slow).

EVE: Valkyrie is a thousand times more fun...I just wish it had a Star Wars coat of paint!

I think that should be viewed in the context that it was a free supplementary exeprience to the main game. A fully funded AAA Star Wars xwing experience is a no-brainer for VR.

That's just Battlefront. You can't do that in the normal game either. I guess it's to make it more inviting to more mainstream players. I wish they did it like Warhawk, where you had a simplified control scheme or an advanced one for more manual maneuvers.

Freeman76

What an amazing experience this is. Was really unsure about this but god damn it was worth every penny. The playroom demo is fun, Eagle Flight is mad chill, and RE7 is revolutionary.

I really like the idea of batman because the arkham games are some of my faves, but without the move controllers im not so sure its worth buying?

Thewonandonly

So I'm about to do LSD for the first time in about two weeks and I want to play VR for a portion of it. I was wondering if you guys have any recomedations for games I should play. I'm thinking Rez and RE7.

Flandy

So I'm about to do LSD for the first time in about two weeks and I want to play VR for a portion of it. I was wondering if you guys have any recomedations for games I should play. I'm thinking Rez and RE7.

image.php

Jesus dude. Smoking a joint and playing re7 in vr with friends in the room was almost too much let alone fuckin acid.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

First time?

No. Don't plan shit.. just let things go naturally.

Harmonix. I wouldn't go anywhere near Thumper or Rez whilst on LSD as they could be a bad trip very fucking quickly, especially Thumper.

But with LSD I wouldn't touch VR personally, certainly not for a first time. Ecstasy/MDMA I can imagine would be very good.

Thewonandonly

Aight you guys changed my mind I will just watch speed racer then do whatever else tickles my fancy. Speed racer on shrooms gave my eyeballs orgasms so I can't imagine how it is on LSD.

If anyone had any experience with this I would love for you to PM me becuase I have a few questions. Don't want to go to off topic in this thread.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Wehrwolf

Is the headset all I need for resident evil vr? Or are other things also required? Thanks.

And a camera. Well, and a ps4, hookups, and controller (regular one, doesn't use move controllers). Oh, and the Resident Evil 7 game. Possibly some dramamine, but probably fine without it.

androvsky

Is the headset all I need for resident evil vr? Or are other things also required? Thanks.
You'll need the PS4 camera if you don't already have it. Haven't played RE7, but I'm pretty sure it uses a regular dualshock 4 for control, so that should be it.

edit: beaten, after coming back to the thread after like half an hour wondering why no one answered the question yet. lol

Shoeless

Well I was kidding about RE7 :) but I feel like Rez would be so tight on it but I dont know Mabey it will be sensory overload and my eyes will melt or something

If you were really serious about this, I'd actually recommend putting your favorite tunes on a USB stick and then trying the Harmonix Music Visualizer. That would be perfect for what you were thinking.

That's what a friend told me, anyway...

Arkage

Banned
Sad to say I think my honeymoon experience is long gone. My PSVR has been mostly sitting collecting dust for a while, except the rare time I try to go back and play Robinson only to remember it's boring as hell and quit again. I just tried out RE7 for a bit, and between the set-up, heavy headset/headphone combo, 35 degree turns to prevent motion sickness, no HDR, low resolution, I just... can't justify it. I really did want to love it since I love horror games, but it is what it is.

The one true gem of PSVR for me was Thumper though. VR objectively makes it easier for me to hit all the turns/pounds in that game thanks to the depth VR provides, and the visuals feel more immersive. Unfortunately I'm about done that game, so I think it's time to sell my setup.

ChouGoku

My VR is on the way! What distance should I be from the camera for RE7? Is there a pattern?
playstation-vr-play-area.jpg

Sad to say I think my honeymoon experience is long gone. My PSVR has been mostly sitting collecting dust for a while, except the rare time I try to go back and play Robinson only to remember it's boring as hell and quit again. I just tried out RE7 for a bit, and between the set-up, heavy headset/headphone combo, 35 degree turns to prevent motion sickness, no HDR, low resolution, I just... can't justify it. I really did want to love it since I love horror games, but it is what it is.

The one true gem of PSVR for me was Thumper though. VR objectively makes it easier for me to hit all the turns/pounds in that game thanks to the depth VR provides, and the visuals feel more immersive. Unfortunately I'm about done that game, so I think it's time to sell my setup.
RE7 has smooth turning.....You can play it like a fps. Look at the settings

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
playstation-vr-play-area.jpg

Even if you're using segmented turning you can basically use your head to turn.

majik13

Well he did say 'to prevent motion sickness' so sounds like he prefers the option to smooth turning, but doesnt like the compromise. Sounds like he is probabaly aware of the option.

Grinchy

Banned
^Did you not try changing the settings for RE7? The angled turns are complete shit for anyone who doesn't get motion sickness from VR games. There's a smooth option and the ability to turn off the peripheral vision cone.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Is the scale really off? I thought someone said the star destroyer was a smaller class than the OT ones.

TheBear

I mean if it's a truley terrible idea I won't and I will just watch speed racer, but I have always wanted to do a super mind altering drug while in VR and I feel like Rez would be something else.

Fuck man. I need to watch speed racer on acid

Fuckin kindergarten cop and commando blew my mind there's no telling what speed racer would be like

kyser73

Just no, dude.

Seriously, if this is your first trip you just need everything to be mellow as. TBH all the times I've dropped acid or shrooms the last thing I've wanted to do while high is play video games or do anything involving watching screen-based entertainment.

Not only that but you also need to be fucking careful with acid. Once you've dropped that tab you're on that ride for the next 8-12 hours and unlike shrooms you can't regulate the dose to bring yourself down early.

Drop some E instead - Rez & Thumper are both awesome on VR on that ;)

That's not to say never ever, just not the first time.

1. RE:7
2. Until Dawn
3. Rez
4. Batman VR
5. Playroom robot demo
6. Bound
7. Wayward Sky
8. Thumper
9. Star Wars X-Wing VR mission
10. Rigs

Your list is missing DRIVECLUB!

Okay the game isn't the cleanest, but once you get racing that's all forgotten, turns are made better, braking is timed better, the VR effect adds so much to the game you can't get on a flat screen.

octobot

Good call, it's hard to sell that game, I really do think Ubisoft should give a 5 game demo out, not a time limited one but a game limited one.

Yeah once you play it and get hooked 5 games wouldn't be near enough. It's a game that just eats time, when you get in a great group all of a sudden it's 3am. Out of all the VR games I own werewolves will be the one that I will keep playing for the life of PSVR.

Yeah once you play it and get hooked 5 games wouldn't be near enough. It's a game that just eats time, when you get in a great group all of a sudden it's 3am. Out of all the VR games I own werewolves will be the one that I will keep playing for the life of PSVR.

Yep no game is ever the same, I think i've chalked up about 30 hours in it so far, you can check the stats in the Ubi app tells you how many games, which role etc. There are some with over 500 hours already!

Adree

Driveclub VR's Cruise mode is pretty neat. Driveclub in general is a bit blurrier than most VR games but being able to get out of the car and just hang out in fairly detailed maps is really cool and relaxing.

Lum1n3s

So when are people expecting a re-stock of this thing? Been looking everywhere for it and nothing, everyone selling it is a third party doing so at a way higher price than what I'm willing to pay.

Also at what point do people suspect this to go down in price?

So when are people expecting a re-stock of this thing? Been looking everywhere for it and nothing, everyone selling it is a third party doing so at a way higher price than what I'm willing to pay.

Also at what point do people suspect this to go down in price?

Just looked in my region, If you are in the UK it has just come in stock online at Game and Tesco Direct.

Wouldn't expect a price drop untill next year at the soonest, sale will be black friday maybe sooner if stockists over order.

SonnyBoy

My PSVR set finally arrived last night and it was quite the experience... I'll ramble off a few thoughts...

- I played for 4 hours straight, no issues. I felt a little weird when doing barrel rolls but nothing too bad. The headset is very comfortable.
- The RE demo made me yelp and fall backward onto my sofa.
- DriveClub is fun but damn it looks horrible.
- Job Simulator is a blast, it's so well done.
- You can see that the relatively low cost of the PSVR led to some sacrifices, as an early adopter I've accepted that. But I'm already looking forward to a more powerful set that provides more clarity.

My question is, is the PSVR maxed out already? Or can we expect to see a gradual improvement over time like with any other piece of hardware?

I have this exact same splitter and when I tried to use it with my psvr the PS4 couldn't recognize that the psvr was connected and turned on. I kept getting the screen telling me to hook up my hdmi cables.

I finally got around to testing the splitter and it does in fact work.
However, I did get the issue you described when powering on the PU without the PS4 being on, I noticed the light changed to white. I think the PU has detected the HDMI connection to the splitter instead of the PS4 which resulted in the error.

After switching the splitter off and on, the connection was re-established and VR worked without issue.

Flipping the power is easier for me than unhooking HDMI cables behind my TV, so I'm happy with this solution in lieu of a Breakout box recall/replacement that just implements things properly.

Spman2099

If RE7 doesn't sell you on VR then I am pretty sure you should sell it. That is as good as the experience is ever going to get. The sacrifices that game makes pretty much will always be present in a game that ambitious. Also, you can probably still get most of your money back right now, as they are sold out most places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom