• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

chippy13

I finally got around to testing the splitter and it does in fact work.
However, I did get the issue you described when powering on the PU without the PS4 being on, I noticed the light changed to white. I think the PU has detected the HDMI connection to the splitter instead of the PS4 which resulted in the error.

After switching the splitter off and on, the connection was re-established and VR worked without issue.

Flipping the power is easier for me than unhooking HDMI cables behind my TV, so I'm happy with this solution in lieu of a Breakout box recall/replacement that just implements things properly.

Cool, I'll try this out tonight and see if I can get it working.

Tumle

Yep no game is ever the same, I think i've chalked up about 30 hours in it so far, you can check the stats in the Ubi app tells you how many games, which role etc. There are some with over 500 hours already!
I love it! And can't wait for more tabletop like experiences like that to come out.. would be cool if there would be a kind of D&D tabletop game.. with one player being able to be dungeon master and set up the games and story 😊

gmoran

Sad to say I think my honeymoon experience is long gone. My PSVR has been mostly sitting collecting dust for a while, except the rare time I try to go back and play Robinson only to remember it's boring as hell and quit again. I just tried out RE7 for a bit, and between the set-up, heavy headset/headphone combo, 35 degree turns to prevent motion sickness, no HDR, low resolution, I just... can't justify it. I really did want to love it since I love horror games, but it is what it is.

The one true gem of PSVR for me was Thumper though. VR objectively makes it easier for me to hit all the turns/pounds in that game thanks to the depth VR provides, and the visuals feel more immersive. Unfortunately I'm about done that game, so I think it's time to sell my setup.

I think VR, espesh where it is now, is something that works for some people, and not for others. I can't stop playing it—play about 15 - 20 hours a week—and have no desire to go back to flat screen at this time. But I've noticed one of my friends who picked up a PSVR in November hardly touches it.

If it really ain't doing it for you and is gathering dust then moving on and checking the tech in the next hardware iteration is probably the thing to do.

So I'm about to do LSD for the first time in about two weeks and I want to play VR for a portion of it. I was wondering if you guys have any recomedations for games I should play. I'm thinking Rez and RE7.

I'm shocked you didn't get banned... I get banned for some of the most ticky tack stuff and this dude is openly talking about dropping acid... Wtf

ManeKast

Really? LSD on VR?? there's much more enjoyable things to do than play VR. I cant even grasp the concept of a TV if I'm tripping letslone a videogame.

Vidiot

Was playing RE7 in VR the other night and it was acting goofy. Head floating away from the arms, kept saying out of play area when I wasn't, strange blinking effect. Read some stuff about it online and people said sometimes you just need to restart your PS4. Did that and it worked. Was really worried my PSVR was breaking on me.

Was playing RE7 in VR the other night and it was acting goofy. Head floating away from the arms, kept saying out of play area when I wasn't, strange blinking effect. Read some stuff about it online and people said sometimes you just need to restart your PS4. Did that and it worked. Was really worried my PSVR was breaking on me.

Yep a solid bit of advice is not to use rest mode with VR, shutting down completely seems to flush out any issues that might happen.

Oni Jazar

- You can see that the relatively low cost of the PSVR led to some sacrifices, as an early adopter I've accepted that. But I'm already looking forward to a more powerful set that provides more clarity.

My question is, is the PSVR maxed out already? Or can we expect to see a gradual improvement over time like with any other piece of hardware?

To improve the experience it will take better hardware across the board. You need a much beefier system (think ps5/6) to handle much higher resolution screens (psvr 2), and also a better tracking system (move v2). Once you can get games to render at 120fps in 4k each eye and perfect tracking only then you can start to have an uncompromising experience.

Right now a ps4 with 1080p goggles and a move just has a ton of compromises.

SonnyBoy

To improve the experience it will take better hardware across the board. You need a much beefier system (think ps5/6) to handle much higher resolution screens (psvr 2), and also a better tracking system (move v2). Once you can get games to render at 120fps in 4k each eye and perfect tracking only then you can start to have an uncompromising experience.

Yeah, I'm not expecting a huge improvement. I get where we are considering the price point but in the case of Drive Club for example, can we hope for less blurriness in a future iteration for example? I hope that GT can be a bit more crisp, if possible.

Looks like Bestbuy got a restock in the past few days ( naturally it appears sold out on-line at least) and gamestop looks to have more in. Hoping that's a sign that Sony is getting on top of supply, and that one should easily be able to grab one off the shelf soon. I'd love for them to do a RE7 bundle, that's the obvious killer app at the moment and they can piggyback off each other.

Grinchy

Banned
So when are people expecting a re-stock of this thing? Been looking everywhere for it and nothing, everyone selling it is a third party doing so at a way higher price than what I'm willing to pay.

Also at what point do people suspect this to go down in price?

If they get their shortage issue figured out, I can't even imagine a price drop on this thing until some Black Friday deals. That's just my assumption, though.

I just don't think they're in a position of needing to drop the price at all while they can't even get any on shelves.

Any quick fix for breakout box doesn't turn off?

You can hold the power button down on the headset cable and it'll turn the breakout box off. I see this happen almost half of the time when putting the PS4 into rest mode.

I just don't think they're in a position of needing to drop the price at all while they can't even get any on shelves.

Yes, I would also expect them to position some PSVR+ PSPro deals around Black Friday. I can't be bothered to wait that long for the PSVR to drop, but I'll wait till the price drops on PSPro before biting( which I suppose means I'll be playing a somewhat compromised VR experience till then, but I'm not forking over $400 for a Ps4 at this stage in the generation).

Yeah, I'm not expecting a huge improvement. I get where we are considering the price point but in the case of Drive Club for example, can we hope for less blurriness in a future iteration for example? I hope that GT can be a bit more crisp, if possible.

Download the Trackmania Turbo demo, there's a VR mode that is way clearer than Driveclub especially with a pro and it shows you more what the hardware is capable of. Driveclub has lots more to handle and lots done to convert from 30fps so I think it's fair to say a title built from the ground up for VR will look better.

We'll soon see how dirt rally fairs it's VR conversion but I'm expecting it to look more like the original game as it's coming from a 60fps basis.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
SonnyBoy said:
My question is, is the PSVR maxed out already?
Define maxed out. Visually most games have not been pushing the platform yet, and the few exceptions are still very early with plenty to improve on. Really utilizing the PSPro has more headroom yet.
Design wise - VR as a whole is very much in experimental stages, so plenty to iterate and improve on.

Right now a ps4 with 1080p goggles and a move just has a ton of compromises.

I don't expect the gen two stuff to be significantly higher in resolution, I expect them to be similar to that of the Vive or the Rift but with improved pixel placement like the PSVR. At the moment the jump in res between the two is marginal just because of that one factor. I keep hearing people say 4k but that isn't coming any time soon, not at 120fps, and certainly not with games that are aiming for realistic visuals. I expect the hardware companies to focus on wireless( another reason why 4k /120fps would be less likely), improved tracking, better lenses and better screens developed specifically for VR as mentioned above.

But from what Driveclub is yeah you can improve that a lot within this generation. To do that you would need a racing game from the ground up with VR in mind and art direction that takes into account the limitations. Driveclub has a lot of technical showcases that are great for TV displays but not so great for VR but are still present in the VR version. DC at worst is a great example of how you can get a visual showcase game running at 30fps on VR, plus devs can't really use power as an excuse of why they aren't supporting VR.

SonnyBoy

Download the Trackmania Turbo demo, there's a VR mode that is way clearer than Driveclub especially with a pro and it shows you more what the hardware is capable of. Driveclub has lots more to handle and lots done to convert from 30fps so I think it's fair to say a title built from the ground up for VR will look better.

We'll soon see how dirt rally fairs it's VR conversion but I'm expecting it to look more like the original game as it's coming from a 60fps basis.

Understood, I'll keep an eye out for those titles.

Define maxed out. Visually most games have not been pushing the platform yet, and the few exceptions are still very early with plenty to improve on. Really utilizing the PSPro has more headroom yet.
Design wise - VR as a whole is very much in experimental stages, so plenty to iterate and improve on.

You've definitely addressed my question, as did the poster above. I was merely wondering if there was more room for improvement. I'm very pleased at what is has to offer at this price-point and look forward to future titles as they incrementally improve.

There's a sale on a lot of PSVR games right now https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/playstation-plus-specials/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSPLUSSPECIALS

I'm torn on what to get. Right now I have Volume in my cart and I'm debating Holoball but it seems like opinions are mixed on it. How's How We Soar? I feel like I have most of the definitive PSVR experiences (RE7, Batman, Job Simulator, Thumper, Rez, Bound) but still missing a few I'd love to own.

Thanks for the heads-up. This is a Plus sale only, btw.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have most of the good games, but a couple games on my wishlist are on sale - How We Soar for $13.99 and Holoball for $8.99.

Crystal Rift and Fruit Ninja are not on sale. Maybe some other time :)

netguy503

There's a sale on a lot of PSVR games right now https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/playstation-plus-specials/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSPLUSSPECIALS

I'm torn on what to get. Right now I have Volume in my cart and I'm debating Holoball but it seems like opinions are mixed on it. How's How We Soar? I feel like I have most of the definitive PSVR experiences (RE7, Batman, Job Simulator, Thumper, Rez, Bound) but still missing a few I'd love to own.

I'm looking for opinions on Time Machine and The Assembly. $10 off each sounds good and I thought I heard they were good.

ymgve

Does the XYZ position of the headset matter during the calibration process? I got a strange problem that I didn't have at launch - rotating my head 90 degrees also moves the view slightly towards the camera, which makes me feel pretty uneasy. Not sure what has changed and wonder if it can be related to me moving the headset too much around during calibration. Or is that just to measure light levels?

Flandy

Possible selection?
31821050773_124980b284_o.png

I just got my PSVR headset today, bought it without really committing to it since I didn't really know if I'd like it. WOW the resolution is bad, I know it wasn't high but everything is a blur almost constantly. I can see the individual sub-pixels so everything looks like it has a severe chromatic aberration effect on it. Tried out several demos as well as the cinema mode and some 360 videos, and whilst it was fun for a couple hours just for the experience it doesn't seem at all worth £350. Will be selling it on as soon as possible.

netguy503

Possible selection?

I was thinking wayward sky but it only has 6-8 trophies and no plat if your into that.

Volume is so worth that price but it being so low means it may be ps plus bound (even might be in next month's offerings). I would wait less than a day now just to be sure if I was you.

gogojira

Possible selection?

Was definitely tempted by Wayward Sky since the price is so nice. It's a pretty decent experience then? I'll add it to the cart for now, still haven't checked out or made final decision yet, haha.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Netguy, trophies are nice but completely irrelevant to my buying decision. So if it's a good enough game, that's my main concern.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Harmonix VR!

I am not kidding, the Easel mode IS a definitive experience that every PSVR owner should be able to experience.

And Holoball is stupidly fun as well, but you need some space.

majik13

Any quick fix for breakout box doesn't turn off?

power down ps4 completely, or unplug the power cable to it, is all that Ive found that shuts it down unfortunately.

I just got my PSVR headset today, bought it without really committing to it since I didn't really know if I'd like it. WOW the resolution is bad, I know it wasn't high but everything is a blur almost constantly. I can see the individual sub-pixels so everything looks like it has a severe chromatic aberration effect on it. Tried out several demos as well as the cinema mode and some 360 videos, and whilst it was fun for a couple hours just for the experience it doesn't seem at all worth £350. Will be selling it on as soon as possible.

On OG PS4 or Pro? Also there is a very small sweetspot, always takes me several minutes to get the headset in the perfect spot, slightly rotating it left right, up and down, to get my eyes centered on the center of the lenses. Its as far as I know the best VR screen, (quality and most subpixrels) of the 3 major options. Though actually image quality is a different story, but Pro helps immensely for most games. Also some units shipped with a film cover over the lenses as well. But not sure how common that is.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Might finally bite on Super Hyper Cube. That or Tethered.

Really interested in Tethered, but the sale is barely saving any money on that one. Pondering Time Machine VR instead. Did that get mostly good impressions in this thread?

bumpkin

Thanks for the heads-up. This is a Plus sale only, btw.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have most of the good games, but a couple games on my wishlist are on sale - How We Soar for $13.99 and Holoball for $8.99.

Crystal Rift and Fruit Ninja are not on sale. Maybe some other time :)
That was the first thing I looked for and was disappointed. :(

How is "How we soar," anyways? If I already have Eagle Flight, is it basically scratching a similar itch?

Toma

That was the first thing I looked for and was disappointed. :(

How is "How we soar," anyways? If I already have Eagle Flight, is it basically scratching a similar itch?

Didnt play Eagle Flight, but How we Soar definitely scratches the flying itch and has you navigating the environment to collect items. "Coloring" the levels felt really nice, definitely worth checking out.

On OG PS4 or Pro? Also there is a very small sweetspot, always takes me several minutes to get the headset in the perfect spot, slightly rotating it left right, up and down, to get my eyes centered on the center of the lenses. Its as far as I know the best VR screen, (quality and most subpixrels) of the 3 major options. Though actually image quality is a different story, but Pro helps immensely for most games. Also some units shipped with a film cover over the lenses as well. But not sure how common that is.

OG PS4, which I know isn't really the best starting point. The sweet spot I've found gives great sharpness to the image but I can just see all of the subpixels and even with the sharpness the resolution seems so low when looking slightly into the distance. The Playroom was great fun and looked great but everything else has been a miss for me so far.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. Saw it in stock for a hot second on Best Buy. Debated it for a few minutes, but it was gone by the time I pressed the add to cart button.

Alot of the games that I was waiting to drop to $20 have, thanks for the heads up :)

Cross posting from the sale thread.

Anyone play Windlands?

The game looks innocent, but I imagine it's an absolutely bonkers feeling swinging around like that.

Is it decent?

Cross posting from the sale thread.

Anyone play Windlands?

The game looks innocent, but I imagine it's an absolutely bonkers feeling swinging around like that.

Is it decent?

for a few minutes, it's good. It's a one note game. Play ten minutes, play 10 hours, it's still the same thing. No enemies, no real environmental challenges. No clever design. It's just a big empty playground to swing in.

A more fleshed out version of this idea would make it the modern day Jumping Flash, though. Potentially, it's awesome. There's just NOTHING here.

Arkage

Banned
RE7 has smooth turning.....You can play it like a fps. Look at the settings

Strangely, I used smooth turning when I played the demo and was pretty OK with it, but when I tried it with the retail game I'm getting motion sick, so I had to stick with the 35degree stuff.

If RE7 doesn't sell you on VR then I am pretty sure you should sell it. That is as good as the experience is ever going to get. The sacrifices that game makes pretty much will always be present in a game that ambitious. Also, you can probably still get most of your money back right now, as they are sold out most places.

Damn, it's pretty crazy this stuff is selling that high. Back when it first came out I bought the bundle (minus game) on ebay for $500, and it seems like it's selling for even more now. Sony really has a bad supply issue going on or something.

Toma

I enjoyed the Easel but I think the visualizer tunnel is even more amazing.

I just think that Easel as a creative tool is pretty darn fun. The visualizer is nice to watch, but Easel allows you to draw 3D pictures. I really wish someone would finally create a proper 3D Drawing app for PSVR (DREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAMS).

Toma

Tempted by this. The demo is pretty damn awesome, but so short.

I got around 15 hours of the Easel mode within the first week. These were my initial impressions:

Alright, so after trying all available demos, I kinda made the weird call to make Harmonix VR my first VR purchase. There are several other games I am really interested in, but for now I would just like to focus on this, as I read some reviews before I bought it and most people are trashing it to hell and back.

The easel mode is genuinely awesome and the best VR feeling I have encountered so far. Its a 3D drawing application with the strokes reacting to the music. To get the bad out of the way: The rest of Harmonix VR is kinda... pointless, which is also the reason why most reviews turned out so incredibly negative. Most of the other stuff is actually pretty shitty, so I will likely never do much in those modes, but I came back to that 3D drawing again and again and again. Drawing around me feels so much more vivid in VR than any of the other VR experiences managed to be so far. Its still a bit janky and probably overpriced for what it is, but omg do I love this ... lets call it application instead of game.

This is making me want Dreams VR sooooo much. If you are a creative type and you like doodling around with different brushes and whatnot, definitely try the Harmonix VR demo. Unfortunately, you will need to finish the pointless first level first, but in the Easel mode, you can already check if this is something for you or not.

I made some screenshots to share, but keep in mind that its of course not even remotely as interesting to look at them as screenshots (and drawing them yourself is even better). I usually tend to load up my playlist with stuff from the USB stick and draw something that the first random song inspires me to.
Vxb4vbI.jpg
H2zqROR.jpg

g62D7DL.jpg
bjOBhey.jpg

2XJgoqK.jpg

I really wish Harmonix would continue to expand on this, as this is genuinely the only "game" so far that drags me out of reality into this little VR world that I interact with.

I just think that Easel as a creative tool is pretty darn fun. The visualizer is nice to watch, but Easel allows you to draw 3D pictures. I really wish someone would finally create a proper 3D Drawing app for PSVR (DREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAMS).

I really hope Dreams is VR compatible, watching some of the MM streams you see where the flat screen becomes a problem.

Toma

I really hope Dreams is VR compatible, watching some of the MM streams you see where the flat screen becomes a problem.

I think that was heavily hinted at, wasnt it? I remember them for example talking about getting multiple PSVR kits. I fully expect it to be on PSVR, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom