• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

octobot

Yep no game is ever the same, I think i've chalked up about 30 hours in it so far, you can check the stats in the Ubi app tells you how many games, which role etc. There are some with over 500 hours already!

I downloaded the app to see how many hours I had and was surprised to find I have played 674 games in 108 hours!

*Splinter

Cross posting from the sale thread.

Anyone play Windlands?

The game looks innocent, but I imagine it's an absolutely bonkers feeling swinging around like that.

Is it decent?
I liked it, it's a puzzle game as much as it's a platformer as you figure out how to get the hard to reach collectibles.

The comments about it being "empty" are fair though. And if you don't like collectibles it's a definite skip.

If you do get it don't play on easy, it takes all challenge/thought out of the game.

Another problem I had is it's not very comfortable to play. Not in terms of motion sickness (although potentially that too) but in the later stages especially you will find you need to look straight up or straight down a lot, gets to be quite tiring on your neck.

If you played and liked Grow Home, you'll like this.

lingpanda

Anyone have information on using a USB extension cable for the PS camera? Im looking at needing between 25 and 30 feet of extension. Thanks.

Edit: Apparently it's proprietary and not USB.

The only game I see on sale that's been on my radar just because it looks fun/whimsical is Ace Banana. How is it?

I love shooting galleries and on rails shooters but I didnt enjoy this one much at all and ive tried going back to it a few times now. The tracking is on point and its cheap enough but I would recommend all of these over it for a shooting experience.

Until Dawn ROB
lethal
starship disco
London heist
Pixel Gear

I think that was heavily hinted at, wasnt it? I remember them for example talking about getting multiple PSVR kits. I fully expect it to be on PSVR, tbh.

Like Hello Games?

Honestly, this late in development, and it's not been concretely stated, I am extremely skeptical. Not to mention, it's a fantastic looking game with a non-standard rendering engine - I'm not expecting more than 30fps for this game.

They may however include a separate VR sculpting mode to create single items that can then be included into your Dreams levels. I really hope for this at a minimum.

The prices of some of the VR games must have gone up at some point.
I don't remember paying 20 bucks for Headmaster and Pixel Gear was definitely 5 bucks when I bought it on release day.

Wayward Sky for 12 bucks is the best game in this sale.

Flandy

The prices of some of the VR games must have gone up at some point.
I don't remember paying 20 bucks for Headmaster and Pixel Gear was definitely 5 bucks when I bought it on release day.

Wayward Sky for 12 bucks is the best game in this sale.

Lot of games had week 1 discounts

bumpkin

Is Tethered worth picking up? Demo was fun but dunno if i want to play a whole game of it
I got it shortly after it came out (it was discounted at launch for a short time) and I enjoyed it for a time, but I stopped playing after the 8th or 9th island/level. They expose you to all of the mechanics, buildings, abilities, etc. by the time you're through the first few stages, so it gets very same-y from there on out.

I've been having a weird issue that just started last week. Everytime I power down my PSVR, my TV screen goes blank and my PS4 Pro stays on until I hold the power button long enough for it to shut down. When I turn the system back on, it acts like nothing happened (no message about improper shutdowns). It's this happening to anyone else?

I have a VR sitting in my cart, but keep pausing when I need to hit Checkout. Besides Resident Evil, I haven't been wow'd by anything else. If I'm on the fence, should I just pass until a big price cut or much better software titles?

Flandy

RE7 VR would have been my GOTY had it come out last year tbh. I doubt it'll make the honor this year considering other titles (Persona 5/Zelda) but it's gonna be high up there for sure.

I have a VR sitting in my cart, but keep pausing when I need to hit Checkout. Besides Resident Evil, I haven't been wow'd by anything else. If I'm on the fence, should I just pass until a big price cut or much better software titles?

If you haven't tried VR yet, don't expect to have been wowed, until you try it.

Some games that look super simple/shallow on youtube turn out to be quite addictive and fun in VR.

There's loads of demos and free content for PSVR, which is actually of a pretty high fun standard IMO.

You may be expecting to be put off by short experiences - but in my experience the length has been quite good. I think I spent 2 hours on my first play through of Arkham VR - even though you could play it much quicker.

Other than watching a handful of Twitch and YouTube streams, have only experienced RE at a friend's house.

My standout games (on Pro) so far are

RE7 - The biggest hitter of them all, a solid full game made with VR in mind from the start

Werewolves Within - Hard to explain, but if you like sitting around laughing and joking with people whilst lying through your teeth then you will love it.

Thumper - Great rhythm game that looks amazing in VR and will keep you coming back for S ranks

Driveclub - Obviously was never going to look as great as vanilla, yes it's blurry sometimes, BUT once you get in the middle of a tight race, you forget all that and just concentrate of your braking points and the next apex, really it might not be a looker, but it's amazing.

Battlezone - a good rogue like game, amazing with friends and good with strangers that know what they are doing

Batman - Good game that needs two move controllers, short experience though, but one you can show others too.

Until Dawn Rush of Blood - Really good on rails shooter, a couple of jump scares, leader boards and collectables will have you running through again and again.

This isn't including other great games like Tethered, PlayroomVR, Eve, RIGS, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes and VR Worlds.....

ManeKast

I ordered one just for Resident Evil. Been waiting for the killer app and this is it. Hopefully more horror games are coming.

Bring on Ace Combat!Alien Isolation should be VR too, imagine......

Got a couple games in the sale this week. Wayward Sky is pretty fun and definitely worth playing. Miku VR is alright but super basic and I doubt it will have much lasting appeal.

bumpkin

I ordered one just for Resident Evil. Been waiting for the killer app and this is it. Hopefully more horror games are coming.

Bring on Ace Combat!Alien Isolation should be VR too, imagine......
If you haven't tried it in-person yet, temper your expectations about visual fidelity and clarity. It seems like every so often we see someone post that they got it, tried it, and are selling it because the "tech isn't quite there yet." I think it's a fantastic piece of hardware, you just have to get over the fact the visual quality while wearing the headset is not as crisp as it would be on your TV.

Also, if you dig horror games, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is loads of fun and scary/gory as it comes.

That said, RE7 is fan-fucking-tastic! It's a full (not a short tech demo) game, it looks and plays great, and trust me, it will scare the crap out of you at least a few times before you're done.

Not seen mentioned elsewhere - I Expect You To Die is (finally) coming to UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Slovakia, Greece, Hungary, Czech Republic on Feb 6

The Goat

Just got my PSVR this morning, and I'm wondering how you guys solved the problem of running the camera cabling? I bought the 2m extension, but I'm still about 2m short :/ My TV is up on the wall, but all my components are about 12' - 15' away. I have smurf tubes to run cabling, but the camera doesn't work with more than one extension :(

Anyone have an extension they've found that's longer? I need roughly 20 feet to fish it through my walls. For now, I can probably just run the cable straight to my Pro, but goddamn that will kill me to have cables running visible. Sorry, I'm a bit neurotic when it comes to cable management.

Just got my PSVR this morning, and I'm wondering how you guys solved the problem of running the camera cabling? I bought the 2m extension, but I'm still about 2m short :/ My TV is up on the wall, but all my components are about 12' - 15' away. I have smurf tubes to run cabling, but the camera doesn't work with more than one extension :(

Anyone have an extension they've found that's longer? I need roughly 20 feet to fish it through my walls. For now, I can probably just run the cable straight to my Pro, but goddamn that will kill me to have cables running visible. Sorry, I'm a bit neurotic when it comes to cable management.

Get another extension cable and add it to the run.

doby

Anyone have information on using a USB extension cable for the PS camera? Im looking at needing between 25 and 30 feet of extension. Thanks.

Edit: Apparently it's proprietary and not USB.

You won't be able to get one that long anyway, I think people have tried to daisy chain 2 of the 2 meter ones and it doesn't work.

Grinchy

Banned
It's really annoying that the camera cable is proprietary and they only sell a single ~6 foot extension cable. I don't know what they were thinking with that. For $20+, they could have given people a useful extension length.

The Goat

Get another extension cable and add it to the run.

I have 2 cables, but the camera doesn't function with them chained. Works great with just one ext cable. I think it would require an active cable of some sort for a longer run. Highly doubt Sony would even consider such a thing though.

Really wish they would have just used a usb 3/c cable, and not this proprietary stuff :(

I have 2 cables, but the camera doesn't function with them chained. Works great with just one ext cable. I think it would require an active cable of some sort for a longer run. Highly doubt Sony would even consider such a thing though.

Really wish they would have just used a usb 3/c cable, and not this proprietary stuff :(

Ah that sucks.
Suggested it because I was able to get another VR extension cable for the headset and connecting those together works great. Nevet have to worry about not having enough slack if I sit on the couch

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
Gentlemen. DoA Xtreme 3 just got a VR update.

I am downloading it now. Just for a new (and free) VR experience of course.

I'm sure it will be an intellectual narrative based experience.

Ahem.

somme

So I'm considering getting a PS4Pro - mainly for the upgrade in VR visuals. Just have a couple of questions.

I don't have a 4K TV. Does that matter, or will I just not get prettier visuals on the TV?

What were the issues people were having with VR and PS4 pro? Were the issues widespread? I glossed over them at the time.

antibolo

Banned

Ahem.

Are you talking about the Asian version??

The Japanese version already got its VR update a few weeks ago.

Flandy

Ahem.

If it's like the Japanese version then you'll need to download the "VR Passport" DLC from the PlayStation Store before you can use it. tbh they probably just copy pasted the patch notes from the Japanese version or something. I doubt its been added yet

Are you talking about the Asian version??

The Japanese version already got its VR update a few weeks ago.

Literally last week :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom