• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk269

Hmm, I haven't had too much issue with that in-game though it may be the games I've chosen so far (I've had it more with small text and my sweet spot in positioning the headset is kind of touchy on the PS4 menu bar) since I'm still working through even more of the demos because I played a bunch of Batman which I thought looked good, and actually quite good after getting out of the Wayne manor space. I think with the "real" stuff it may vary game to game but I think the more animated the art style the more the image quality fools you better. I didn't notice image quality at all in the Wayward Sky demo for example, it was really smooth, easy on the eyes, and looked good.

I also haven't tried DC yet, which it sounds like could use a Pro bump, even though it doesn't sound like it's going to get it.

I have not bought my PSVR yet and I am getting the Pro. I have not followed stuff very much over the last month or so, has Sony said what advantages using the Pro with PSVR entails?

Paganmoon

May or may not help, but if you go into the Devices settings there are a few more things you can adjust for PSVR. One of them is an IPD thing, though I'm not sure how much it truly changes though I did it anyway.

Yeah thanks, someone suggested it last night, I'm going to go through that later today, and hopefully it'll alleviate the issue I'm having, but I still think (if it actually does anything), it should be part of the initial setup, cause the distortion is really jarring, and as mentioned I've hardly noticed anything like this on my Vive, where I've set the IPD to match my eyes.

Teknoman

First thing I played on my headset was the Platformer in Playroom VR thanks to the positive impressions here. It was a great first experience and a lot of fun. My mind was blown looking around behind me and up above. EVE Valkyrie is really fun too, I like that you have a body in that one. I played the Ocean Descent in VR Worlds and I missed having a body or something that I could move around in the world.

Also holy heck does it get sweaty in there. I had to clean the lenses after my second play session because they were all fogged up. Shouldn't be a big deal though, I think this is more suited to shorter sessions. Loving it so far! I can't wait to try all the demos on the demo disc and play more EVE.

Absolutely no problems with motion sickness, eyestrain/headaches, or tracking. Very pleased about that. Generally I think the graphics of games look pretty good. It was only when watching some live action stuff on VRideo that I really noticed low resolution.

I can see the lenses getting about foggy, but they shouldn't be too sweaty since it's not that tight a fit. The best videos are on little star (watch last man standing).
But yeah, played for hours with a couple breaks in between on day 1, wasn't that bad.

Day two and no tracking issues. I have a computer chair that I sit about 5ft from the cam. Cam is under the TV. No lights behind me except a bit of sunlight.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'll also say this about job simulator. It's a real tease, because moving around and being able to grab and throw things is really incredible. It sucks that the move just dances around so much though. Are there any suggestions on how to make it work better? As I said about my ps3 experience with move, the drift and constant recalibration really killed it forme. Here it doesn't kill it for me because the headset tracks great, but the hand tracking issues are significant.

Is it moving the tip of your hand in space, or is it rotating your hand angle?

Absolute position shouldn't be too bad as it should reset every 1/30 or 1/60 second with the camera (although headset drift reports suggest maybe Sony haven't nailed that yet). But rotational drift might be difficult to filter out because with only one blob of light the camera can't tell which direction the move is pointing - only where it is in space. So you're reliant on the internal sensors for angle.

So far, so good. Shark attack made me sweat bullets. London Heist chase scene was just amazing. Most games I felt decent playing but something about here they lie demo made me a tad off. Maybe the movement and head tracking combined? Anyone else get this way?

Chris_C

Wayward Sky -- holy shit, holy shit.

From demo to instant buy. It's brilliant.

I LOVE these diorama-style games. Videos simply don't do it justice. A mix of third person dioramas and first person gameplay/puzzles works brilliantly. I can't get over how impressed I was by that demo.

Yeah, I really do enjoy what I've played of Wayward Sky. Check out Alumette, it's a diorama animated movie.

Teknoman

So far, so good. Shark attack made me sweat bullets. London Heist chase scene was just amazing. Most games I felt decent playing but something about here they lie demo made me a tad off. Maybe the movement and head tracking combined? Anyone else get this way?

In here they lie, I only got dizzy when I walked all the way up to a closed door. That was just strange.

Btw, is The Brookhaven experiment on rails or just a horde mode wave stationary affair?

I finally got to install and use mine and I'm impressed. It's better than I expected, super easy to get on and off and the demos I've tried (Eve, Thumper, Playroom platformer) have all been pretty slick. Thumper was kind of hypnotic; once I try out more demos that will probably be my first purchase.

I didn't have any tracking issues but I got nauseated in the Playroom platformer when I accidentally ran the robot behind me and kept turning around to look for him while the game kind of drifted forward and backward. But I didn't have issues with Eve or Thumper, which were much more dynamic, so hopefully that won't be a persistent issue. I stopped after that but hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance for a longer session.

The quality on this thing is much higher than I expected. Now I just need to decide what games to buy.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Oddly enough with this game and the Demo Disc everything feels slightly off center, so I had to very slightly move the camera into an off angle to make the view properly "centered." Weird how this happens with some games and not others.

You know that dialog box that tells you line your head up with box and says something about color values from the camera being inverted? Don't try to get your head in the box. Just look straight at the camera and click through. When I've tried to adjust the camera or my position in that test I've just baked in inaccuracies.

It's hard to admit defeat and take a step back, especially on that first day or two. I wrecked myself pretty good playing Half Life 2 on my DK1 the morning I got it. I'd lay down feeling awful but then after an hour or two I'd start recouping, only to be like "but damn that was so cool.." and inevitably jump back in and immediately feel even worse for it.

Definitely seasoned by now and can handle pretty much anything, but it took a while to get to that point. Luckily the tech is better and the vast majority of VR games are developed with sickness in mind, and hopefully that will keep getting better as we move along.

Half-Life 2 wrecked me in 2D. I only made it a few minutes in. There's a part near the beginning where you're being chased up (or down?) some stairs and I went from fine to throwing up in about 15 seconds.
I've tried a lot of stuff on PSVR now. The only ones that bother me so far are DriveClub and Rigs, with Driveclub being horrible and Rigs being maybe managable.

Belfast

Man, there are just some games that seem so hard to get impressions or reviews of right now. Even from the major outlets. It's mostly the less-hyped ones or those without demos. I might find a quip here or a lone youtube clip there, but it is just kind of frustrating.

Ammogeddon

Wayward Sky -- holy shit, holy shit.

From demo to instant buy. It's brilliant.

I LOVE these diorama-style games. Videos simply don't do it justice. A mix of third person dioramas and first person gameplay/puzzles works brilliantly. I can't get over how impressed I was by that demo.

Totally. Playroom VR and Allumette have some great diorama type settings.

I was really impressed watching Allumette. The tracking worked really well in it for me. It's not room scale obviously but you can take a step or two around. I loved peering closer to things like the inside of the boat, amazing. Quite a moving little story too. Really want to see more things like this.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Is it moving the tip of your hand in space, or is it rotating your hand angle?

Absolute position shouldn't be too bad as it should reset every 1/30 or 1/60 second with the camera (although headset drift reports suggest maybe Sony haven't nailed that yet). But rotational drift might be difficult to filter out because with only one blob of light the camera can't tell which direction the move is pointing - only where it is in space. So you're reliant on the internal sensors for angle.

No the position is mostly fine, honestly I'll say it MOSTLY works, mainly because I understand where the limitations are as far as where I can move and whatnot. It'll just be on things like when I go to pick something up and it'll flicker as if it thinks it disappeared or something, kind of spaz out. In until dawn it's far worse though, mainly because it's longer and more intense I think. My friend was over tonight playing and after each level we had to recalibrate, or pause it and try to fix it with the options button trick. The arms will be pointing too high, or too low, or the wrists will be all twisted, etc.

In here they lie, I only got dizzy when I walked all the way up to a closed door. That was just strange.

Btw, is The Brookhaven experiment on rails or just a horde mode wave stationary affair?

I experienced that too, towards the door. I can handle here they lie depending on how I make my movements along with the head tracking.

LiK

Well, YOLO

CuyH-HLWgAAbu68.jpg

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I love how everyone has their own favorite title. Definitely illustrates the diversity in good launch software.

Guys dont forget Bound. It is the best thing i have Played so far.

I agree I just got through being in Bounds world for a few hours and I can't even describe how gorgeous everything looks with millions of particles flying everywhere and beautiful vistas and scale. If you're like me and you like to take in surreal environments, this is that game.

seb

Banned
How do you swap cinema size?

Also is there a superhypecube demo somewhere? On the disc it only offers to purchase it.
It's somewhere in the settings of the headset. I wish it would be easier to change on the fly. And there's a demo of super hypercube on the EU store.

I agree I just got through being in Bounds world for a few hours and I can't even describe how gorgeous everything looks with millions of particles flying everywhere and beautiful vistas and scale. If you're like me and you like to take in surreal environments, this is that game.
How does Bound VR differ from the standard game? Mind you, I haven't played the full game, only the floor show demo at PSX about a year ago.

How do you swap cinema size?

It's in the Devices -> PSVR menu.

Don't know how much I'll use it for regular stuff given my TV but it was pretty cool briefly throwing on an anime episode as if it was in the IMAX size. :D I figured it might make a better first impression than something live action that might make the rez more noticeable. Positional audio still works in there too favoring one ear over the other if you turn like you're in a theater lol.

LiK

It's in the Devices -> PSVR menu.

It was pretty cool throwing on an anime episode as if it was in the IMAX size. :D I figured it might make a better first impression than something live action that might make the rez more noticeable. Positional audio still works in there too favoring one ear over the other if you turn like you're in a theater lol.

does this work with Blu-rays? need to try it out.

Belfast

SuperHyperCube manages to be both relaxing and anxiety-inducing at the same time. The visuals plus that ambient, spacey soundtrack are right up my alley. Reminds me of the good old days.

raven777

Tried Until Dawn Rush of Blood demo last night. I don't like horror stuff and roller coaster, so it sounded stupid idea to try this out. But I heard it was quite good VR experience so I tried it out. I was urged to say "NOPE" and pull off the headset after the first minute, but stuck through it and went through full demo. It was quite immersive and good experience overall. I admit I screamed out loud few times in the early part. It's definitely one of those demos that I would show off if someone visits my house and wants to try out VR.

jrcbandit

Batman VR was lots of fun, just wish it was longer. I still have the Riddles to do. Spoiler for ending -
I assume it was it all in Batman's head and a direct prequel to Arkham Knight where further Joker hallucinations happen?

I also got Until Dawn VR game and I'm trying to decide what final titles to pick up. I think Rez, Bound, and/or Wayward Sky.

Guys dont forget Bound. It is the best thing i have Played so far.

Cool. I should try it when I have time since I already own it and what I've had time to play of the regular version was pretty awesome.

For anyone who has disregarded Hyper Cube out of hand, I strongly recommend reconsidering your position. I would have never expected it to be as impressive as it is. It is SUPER cool.

It's so silly that the link to the in the demo disc is just to buy it and not a demo. I was going to try it since I need to wait because I've got a few other things I'm buying and the idea of a "Tetris-y" thing where you look around the pieces in the videos I've seen looked quite cool.

I have not bought my PSVR yet and I am getting the Pro. I have not followed stuff very much over the last month or so, has Sony said what advantages using the Pro with PSVR entails?

The main one that I'm aware of that got super specific was Farpoint, which the devs and Cerny said was doubling the resolution of the game with the Pro.

DjRalford

With how clean some of the games look on a standard PS4 I'm really interested to see what PS4 Pro does for PSVR, it's actually making me change my mind about the Pro.

cilonen

If people are still having tracking issues I may have figured out a possible reason. The PlayStation camera sees IR really easily.

I was just signing in to my PS4 and happened to have the face recognition screen camera view up as I was turning up the TV volume and sure as heck the front of my TV remote is flashing super bright white in the camera's view.

If you have any IR sources in the frame it could really throw this thing off.

Ammogeddon

Someone posted images of game boxes a few days ago which had the "pro enhanced" logo. The only game I recall from that was Eagle Flight which should be out next month.

I'm hoping for better aliasing and texture quality. I put part of my headache down to the image quality in Here they lie. The shimmering jaggies are not good.

Playroom VR platformer is legit. They need to turn it into a full game.
I'm glad it's being recieved so well because I still remember people raging on about how VR is apearently just a gimick for platformers back when Luckys tale got revealed.
VR actually adds a lot to platformers. Hell, it adds something to everything, I'd go so far as to say that it's the same kind of leap as going from black and white to colour tv.

Finally got around to playing Bound last night. Liked it a lot more than I thought I would.
I was a little worried about the way the camera moves at first but I got used to it fast.

Rez, Thumper, the Playroom VR platformer and Bound are my favourite things on PSVR so far.
Battlezone is up there as well.
Haven't tried wayward sky yet.

Most disappointing is probably Driveclub. I was prepared for the low res and such and I don't mind it that much but the game itself just isn't doing it for me.
I dunno. Glad I decided to try the demo before buying it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
With how clean some of the games look on a standard PS4 I'm really interested to see what PS4 Pro does for PSVR, it's actually making me change my mind about the Pro.
Same here. Games that work well on PSVR look super clean.

I tried the Resident Evil demo. Nope. I would never sleep if I had that game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I tried a bunch of things, and most were great. Thumper, Ocean descent, Until Dawn, Kitchen, all really incredible.

Batman looks great, but I noticed some pretty irritating tracking issues on it when I would look to a side, or lean in any direction. In fact, I've noticed that tracking in general wasn't as good as it was this morning, when I tried looking around in Playroom platformer which I played in the morning. I have no idea what happened. Even exiting Playroom, I noticed that the main PS4 UI was acting a bit twitchy in the VR which never happened before.

I worry that I messed things up when I calibrated the headset lights. Or maybe now that the room is darker in the evening, tracking doesn't work as well (which would be weird and counter intuitive). Is there a way to reset the headset lights calibration to a factory default?

panda-zebra

It's not wobbling distortion, for instance, when moving my head, the VR representation of the DS4 gets it's shape warped (and it stays in that warped shape, if I hold the position), it's more likely caused by the lens position, and the warping it does of the display.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at - holding the bulk of the headset and moving it in the y-axis gives that weird disting/wobble effect and gets blurrier the further you go. If the headset is moving when you're playing, you'll get that weirdness added to your experience, and that's gotta feel weird. Doesn't happen for me as I keep it locked tight, but that's the only way I could imagine that appearing while playing unless there's a fault.

some of these games look so clean and clear, it's actually amazing how blurred some of the others are in comparison, walking to the haunted house in playroom the puddles on the floor look almost real, and everything is pin sharp.

I thought pulling the goodies out of the capsules, unclipping the pad and holding the contents close and rotating them around was weirdly crisp and sharp, felt like it was real and right there in front of me.

hawk2025

I just spent more than two hours just on the first level and the work table of Wayward Sky.

It's so fun to stand up, look around, and figure out all the little bits of how the world perspective works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom