• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maligna

Banned
I'm curious. How many people currently singing the praises of PSVR were VR haters/doubters before yesterday and are man/woman enough to admit now that they were wrong?

Okay so now that its out:

From scientific america: "Ophthalmologists, optometrists and other eye professionals note a seeming link between myopia, also called nearsightedness, and "near work"—visual activities that take place at a distance of about 40 centimeters (16 inches) from the eye—such as reading a book. Staring at a computer screen qualifies as well, though monitors usually are around 50 centimeters (20 inches) away."

Because your eyes aren't focusing on the screen an inch in front of your face. VR fools you into thinking you are looking at things off in the distance and so your eyes act like they would in real life.

bumpkin

Are these reaction hyperbolic or is this 'The real deal'? It's a serious question because right now this thread is making it sound like PSVR is the best thing to happen to gaming in ... like ... forever.
I don't think that VR should replace traditional gaming, but I think what's exciting about it is it's the first evolution in the gaming experience since the Wii. You would think something as simple as being *in* the game world - being enveloped by it - would be trivial, but when you experience it, it's anything but. I remember saying "Wow" as I was looking around the room in the crane game in Playroom VR. When I looked behind me and saw all the little robots looking at me and one of them waved, I remember just starting to laugh. It was so cool.

Honestly, I'd recommend finding a Best Buy or GameStop near you that's doing the demos. You can search for demo locations and dates on http://experienceplaystation.com/. That's what I did and it was what swayed me to pick one up. I'm just grateful that I was able to track one down today. Come Black Friday through Christmas, I think they're going to be tough to get.

YuShtink

From scientific america: "Ophthalmologists, optometrists and other eye professionals note a seeming link between myopia, also called nearsightedness, and "near work"—visual activities that take place at a distance of about 40 centimeters (16 inches) from the eye—such as reading a book. Staring at a computer screen qualifies as well, though monitors usually are around 50 centimeters (20 inches) away."

So how does these headsets and using them for long periods not hurt your eyes? What is the magic sauce that makes it not be an issue here? Anyone having eye issues?

Is this why they have the warnings for young people (quote from Oculus) or is it something to do with the brain and flashing images: "This product should not be used by children under the age of 13. Adults should monitor children (age 13 and older) who are using or have used the Headset for any of the symptoms described below, and should limit the time children spend using the Headset and ensure they take breaks during use. ***Prolonged use should be avoided, as this could negatively impact hand-eye coordination, balance, and multi-tasking ability***. Adults should monitor children closely during and after use of the headset for any decrease in these abilities."

These are probably long term issues not something you would see right away. Be interesting to see now that its out in a mass form if these issues start to trend.

Enjoy test subjects. We await your medical data.

Not sure about PSVR exactly but the original Oculus DK1's lenses were focused to infinity. The consumer Rift is focused at about 2m. So in these VR HMDs you are effectively gazing at a normal distance the majority of the time, which is actually healthier for your eyes than reading a book or staring at a monitor like you mentioned. If properly calibrated you aren't focusing on the screen inches from your eyes. Objects are perceived as though they are at their actual distance from your eyes. The illusion makes it seem as though it isn't a screen in front of your face at all. It looks like a 3D virtual space of proper scale that expands beyond the edges of your vision.

They don't recommend it for children because their heads are too small for the most part to be properly calibrated. The eyes can't line up for safe extended use. That being said I doubt a few minutes here and there will do any harm.

jadedm17

First thing I played on my headset was the Platformer in Playroom VR thanks to the positive impressions here. It was a great first experience and a lot of fun. My mind was blown looking around behind me and up above. EVE Valkyrie is really fun too, I like that you have a body in that one. I played the Ocean Descent in VR Worlds and I missed having a body or something that I could move around in the world.

Also holy heck does it get sweaty in there. I had to clean the lenses after my second play session because they were all fogged up. Shouldn't be a big deal though, I think this is more suited to shorter sessions. Loving it so far! I can't wait to try all the demos on the demo disc and play more EVE.

Absolutely no problems with motion sickness, eyestrain/headaches, or tracking. Very pleased about that. Generally I think the graphics of games look pretty good. It was only when watching some live action stuff on VRideo that I really noticed low resolution.

As a man who sweats a decent amount (thanks job with no AC) I feel your pain. :(

World War Toons is impossible for me to play. I can't even take 2 steps forward without an incredibly strong, unpleasant feeling in my stomach. Yet I can play RIGS all day. I don't know what the fuck is up with that.
Word War Toons as the only game that made me legit want to throw up. RIGS leaves me with a twang of queasiness, but it's such a great game I try to push past it. And it seems to have the longest legs, in terms of gameplay.

I 100%'d Batman VR today. That felt good.

I fired up Rez and it made me a believer. I never could quite get into the game previously, though I always appreciated the graphics and sound. In VR it's simply sublime. I'm stoked for playing more of it.

I've not even touched VR Worlds. I see so many posts about the shark tank, so I'm eager to play. However, I'm trying not to overload myself on too many games at once, considering I am currently playing through Gears of War 4 on Insane and Overwatch with my friend.

Tomorrow my 72 year-old dad is coming over to scope it out. I know he won't be able to handle a game, but I think Alummette will be perfect! I finally experienced that tonight and, just, wow! To think, this is just the first round of content!

I am very very happy with the PS VR and have zero regrets with the purchase.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I just finished area 1 of Rez Infinite.

My God.

I've owned every version of this game since it came out, this is perfect. Seriously perfect. When they put the game in a museum, the PSVR version is what should be on display.

pixelation

So from impressions i've read the people mentioning issues with the image quality of the headset are also guys who own higher specced machines right?, for those whose first VR experience is with the PSVR headset are you satisfied with the resolution?, or is it something that is noticeable?, thanks.

Chris_C

Just finished Batman. It's so good. I hope more AAA devs opt for smaller, polished adventure style experiences like this. I would LOVE an Uncharted adventure style game with a focus on characters, solving puzzles, using Nate's journal etc.

Haines

Banned
So from impressions i've read the people mentioning issues with the image quality of the headset are also guys who own higher specced machines right?, for those whose first VR experience is with the PSVR headset are you satisfied with the resolution?, or is it something that is noticeable?, thanks.

No headset has great quality really. Everything sucks and we just accept it bc it's new.

Mossybrew

The major lesson is never try to "push through" sim sickness. If you feel yourself getting nauseous, just take a break. It's usually only going to get worse. And by the time it's bad enough that you HAVE to stop, you're fucked for a good while lol.

Great advice. Once you start feeling "it" - it's not gonna get better if you just concentrate or something. Stop right then and take a break.

Mossybrew

Because your eyes aren't focusing on the screen an inch in front of your face. VR fools you into thinking you are looking at things off in the distance and so your eyes act like they would in real life.

This is kind of a trip for me, I haven't fully wrapped my head around it. Like, the screen is right there, why can't I take off my glasses and be fine, since I can normally see close stuff perfectly without glasses. Nope. Doesn't work. Weird.

YuShtink

Great advice. Once you start feeling "it" - it's not gonna get better if you just concentrate or something. Stop right then and take a break.

It's hard to admit defeat and take a step back, especially on that first day or two. I wrecked myself pretty good playing Half Life 2 on my DK1 the morning I got it. I'd lay down feeling awful but then after an hour or two I'd start recouping, only to be like "but damn that was so cool.." and inevitably jump back in and immediately feel even worse for it.

Definitely seasoned by now and can handle pretty much anything, but it took a while to get to that point. Luckily the tech is better and the vast majority of VR games are developed with sickness in mind, and hopefully that will keep getting better as we move along.

Anyone talk to the "customer service" guy or have to go into VR to rescue your friend yet?

On a serious note any of you getting sick try those motion sickness pills or things that go behind the ear yet?

Chris_C

I just gave the demo of Ace Banana a whirl, and was shocked at how good the hand tracking is, which leads to me believe that some games are just better at it than others. I uploaded a video that shows there's absolutely no jitter and only occasionally very little drift.

I was also surprised to see that even if I occluded the camera, the headset view didn't wobble at all. I wish all games had tracking that good. Shame about the game itself.

Perfect hand tracking demo.

TheBear

Sports Bar VR is a bit rough. The tracking just isn't working for me, but I think it might just be standing experiences in general for me because Job Simulator is terrible too and I don't have a stand to mount the camera about the TV.

I did have one of the most intense, real games of air hockey against the computer though. Holy shit.

Overall it feels like a game built for the Vive but without proper room scale it falls a bit short. Messing about trying to move around the space is more difficult than it should be and I couldn't for the life of me work out how to hit the cue on the pool table properly.
Still there's something to it and there's nothing else like it on PSVR.

Also, where's the OT?

JordanN

Banned

I'm a bit biased when it comes to VR but I'll say this. In terms of resolution, the PSVR feels like a giant 3DS strapped to your face.

But, I don't think this is a bad thing. In fact, I remember a few years ago I took pictures of what the 3DS screen looks like upclose and I still found the visuals impressive.

Yes, there's a lot of aliasing in PSVR, but when you zoom up close to any object or character, it doesn't look bad. Just like with 3DS, there are games were the lighting or character models are very detailed, the resolution doesn't matter.

CLhMu.jpg

tu8A8.jpg

It may also be because I play handhelds a lot, so when I saw the PSVR's flaw, it just felt like second nature to what I play everyday.

nikos

this might be a dumb question, but can you use the PSVR without a TV?

Yes, you can. My TV died the night before PSVR was released. I used Remote Play to set it up and have been using it without issue since. Remote Play may not have even been necessary.

Tagg9

Does anyone know if the celebration photos that are taken after a game in Playroom VR are saved anywhere? I took some great ones with friends when they came over, but it seems like they weren't actually saved...

kinggroin

Banned
No headset has great quality really. Everything sucks and we just accept it bc it's new.

Agreed, but the image quality of a minimum spec Vive or Rift PC absolutely smokes the image quality of PSVR games. In that regard, the HMD experiences seem a generation apart.

That said, I find anything not Driveclub, to be more than acceptable. Most people won't care.

tr00per

I personally haven't tried pc vr first hand. I have no doubt that it is better but I am more than satisfied with PSVR. I own a pc with enough power and I'm kinda hoping either someone cracks running psvr on pc or that the vive drops in price before I go that route

Anyone talk to the "customer service" guy or have to go into VR to rescue your friend yet?

On a serious note any of you getting sick try those motion sickness pills or things that go behind the ear yet?

"it is a TOTAL RECALL!"

But seriously I have only experienced it when something breaks the VR rules of Unnatural motion.

My SO gets motion sickness fairly easily so when mine comes in I will report with her experience.

And for you guys reporting light bleed, it's probably best to play in a dark room with the tv off if you can help it.

On that note I feel that Sony really dropped the ball on the initial setup. I fear for everyone who doesn't have some forum support

M_A_C

I just gave the demo of Ace Banana a whirl, and was shocked at how good the hand tracking is, which leads to me believe that some games are just better at it than others. I uploaded a video that shows there's absolutely no jitter and only occasionally very little drift.

I was also surprised to see that even if I occluded the camera, the headset view didn't wobble at all. I wish all games had tracking that good. Shame about the game itself.

Thats pretty crazy how good it looks. As someone still on the fence, it's good to see.

So back a month or so, I briefly tried EVE @ Best Buy; I was sold enough to order a launch bundle on amazon, yesterday.

My headset arrived and I played Thumper, PS Wolds, EVE Demo, Rigs - amongst some other stuff...

...VR is something else. It's something else, in the best way, comparative to my first experience with Mario 64, 20 years ago. Having grown up on the NES in the 80's, as a kid and jumping to N64 and 3D worlds with N64/PS1 was transformative. It just was. The polygon era has evolved, to a place where games are so beautiful and evolved, but they've lost the transformative revolutionary vision. Gameplay like the Wii, changed interaction and that was groundbreaking -

But VR? This is like 1996, to me all over again. I had skepticism, now I believe. I cannot wait to see where this technology is in 20 years, relative to where 3D worlds and polygons have gone - from 1996 to now.

I just cannot get over how it's not like just 3D, it's like you are there literally in that world. It's a fucking trip, like taking a trip.

I can't believe it. It's a technology from another planet. No hyperbole. Maybe I'm not jaded to gaming, sure it's not perfect and graphically could be cleaner; but holy shit, I am living through a time where I am inside another world via technology.

I cannot wait to see where this goes.

Best $500.00 spent in a long time.

panda-zebra

Fun thing yesterday in playroom - my son and I were demoing PSVR to my wife and played the cat & mouse game in Playroom. When we'd played before I was the cat, he was the mouse, but we switched roles.

As the mouse I got to see the cat's face. What a nice little touch having the cat's mouth open and close when the VR player speaks!

Wallach

So how does these headsets and using them for long periods not hurt your eyes? What is the magic sauce that makes it not be an issue here? Anyone having eye issues

It's pretty simple: the lenses in these headsets have a fixed focal distance that is a couple meters out. This means that when you're looking at an image within the headset, the lenses within your eyes still change their shape as they would when attempting to focus on an object in the real world a couple meters away. The lenses of your eyes contract and change shape to alter their focus depending on the distance of the object you are focusing on; it's actually a limitation of current technology that we have to set a locked focal distance for the images you see inside a VR headset. This isn't ideal - in the future we'll probably have the technology to allow your eyes to properly focus when attempting to look at objects close up and further away than the fixed focal length of the current lenses - but in terms of the health of your eyes they are not actually focusing on an object that is only a few inches from your face while you're using the device.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

God that looks awesome. Experiencing true hand tracking with VR has changed my mind altogether on the future of waggle, but the psmoves are so inconsistent. I'm gonna get this now just for the sake of messing with the tracking and see if it actually works, plus I heard it's a fun game. Thanks!

Synless

I played Driveclub VR for well over two hours today and I have to say it was a surreal experience. I am glad I don't get motion sickness like others have. I love everything I played so far with Batman and Driveclub being among the top. The headset is great too... except for image quality, it literally fucking sucks. I had medium expectations, but it was worse than I thought.

KooopaKid

Banned
You can find the same reactions in the Vive topic too. VR has a very high novelty value. Like ridiculously high. What is an unknown quantity is whether after three months the same people will be talking about dust gathering etc. Because as the novelty wears off - and it does - the gaming has to rise to the challenge.
PSVR has really quite a strong software lineup there are a few titles that are almost full games that are very pleasing to seemingly everyone. Vive and Oculus hasn't really had that. I'm curious to know if developers for the PS4 will continue to pump out a VR gem every now and again to keep things fresh and make up for the novelty curve decline.

Yes it will be all about content in the coming months. The guys at Gamekult (French videogame website) are already out of the «woah» phase having played VR quite a bit before, and reviewed the launch games at face value accordingly, on a content and gameplay basis and most of the launch games are very simple mechanically and don't have longevity. So new content will have to come fast.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yes it will be all about content in the coming months. The guys at Gamekult (French videogame website) are already out of the «woah» phase having played VR quite a bit before, and reviewed the launch games at face value accordingly, on a content and gameplay basis and most of the launch games are very simple mechanically and don't have longevity. So new content will have to come fast.

See I'm actually fairly aware of that honeymoon phase and I knew that going in. Basically my hope was that if even 1 or 2 of these games can stick for me that and the novelty experiences (not just games, but videos, movies, etc.) will carry me through. early 2017 will already bring farpoint, RE7, and GTsport. Fingers crossed that those turn out good. Farpoint looks like it will be a blast, although I'm curious about the length seeing as how it's going to be packed in with the gun. If RE7 turns out good it'll be amazing for VR as well.

All that being said I've mentioned this a few times in the thread, but in all honesty overall the lineup is pretty bad. I will have to give rigs another shot, because I just simply didn't grasp it at first, maybe the aiming will get better, since those who are into it are loving it. Other than that though, everything else I've been playing has been repeats of stuff I've already done. I do love Until dawn especially since at $20 dollars it seems one of the few VR games that actually got the price right. We'll have to see what sony has in store going forward for future 1st party endeavors.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Thumper: first game that I tried and holy freaking crap, wow wow wow. Visually stunning and addictive, and an amazing entry into PS VR. I was surprised by the lack of the screen door effect, and the colors and sound were just overwhelming in all the right ways.

Super Hypercube: Again, another strong impression and visual flare out the wazoo. I think the price is just a tad too high but man do I love the aesthetics. Sometimes that's really all you need to make a VR game shine. So far, everything is surpassing my expectations.

Yes. Stylised games work a lot better in VR. Those two titles especially well to the point where you can't see pixels etc. You are simply there and totally immersed. So much better then Driveclub or Eve Valkyre.

Other games that go for a strong visual look like Rush of Blood also work well. That game is top notch and works fantastical well with move controllers.

panda-zebra

I played Driveclub VR for well over two hours today and I have to say it was a surreal experience. I am glad I don't get motion sickness like others have. I love everything I played so far with Batman and Driveclub being among the top. The headset is great too... except for image quality, it literally fucking sucks. I had medium expectations, but it was worse than I thought.

It was great the first night when I played with the ds4 for 3 hours.

The next morning, however, with a ffb wheel for another 3... whoa! Match the wheel you see to the one you hold as closely as possible and the experience just heightens. The first time I wiped out I involuntarily covered my face with my hands!

It's the only game where the visuals feel marginally below expectations, mostly when not in-game for me personally (jaggies on static screens are prominent, you can play around with them by rolling your head really slowly, watching them dance to different edges highlighting the row res the game seems to render at). Really hoping the Pro will boost this one visually down the line, despite that seemingly not being on the cards.

M_A_C

Why so bad? is it the graphics or the actual hardware?

By all report Batman looks great and DC looks bad.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'll also say this about job simulator. It's a real tease, because moving around and being able to grab and throw things is really incredible. It sucks that the move just dances around so much though. Are there any suggestions on how to make it work better? As I said about my ps3 experience with move, the drift and constant recalibration really killed it forme. Here it doesn't kill it for me because the headset tracks great, but the hand tracking issues are significant.

panda-zebra

I'll also say this about job simulator. It's a real tease, because moving around and being able to grab and throw things is really incredible. It sucks that the move just dances around so much though. Are there any suggestions on how to make it work better? As I said about my ps3 experience with move, the drift and constant recalibration really killed it forme. Here it doesn't kill it for me because the headset tracks great, but the hand tracking issues are significant.

Have you tried putting on some 90s rave and shaking the living hell out of your moves for a good half minute or so and then recalibrating, just to make sure everything inside is reporting in for duty as expected? Then again, if it's drifting as well that suggests your issues might be elsewhere.

Yeah, I've managed to make the Move more stable by rapidly shaking it. It's not a fix, but occasionally calibration works its random ass magic with a good waggle.

Hmm, I haven't had too much issue with that in-game though it may be the games I've chosen so far (I've had it more with small text and my sweet spot in positioning the headset is kind of touchy on the PS4 menu bar) since I'm still working through even more of the demos because I played a bunch of Batman which I thought looked good, and actually quite good after getting out of the Wayne manor space. I think with the "real" stuff it may vary game to game but I think the more animated the art style the more the image quality fools you better. I didn't notice image quality at all in the Wayward Sky demo for example, it was really smooth, easy on the eyes, and looked good.

I also haven't tried DC yet, which it sounds like could use a Pro bump, even though it doesn't sound like it's going to get it.

hawk2025

Wayward Sky -- holy shit, holy shit.

From demo to instant buy. It's brilliant.

I LOVE these diorama-style games. Videos simply don't do it justice. A mix of third person dioramas and first person gameplay/puzzles works brilliantly. I can't get over how impressed I was by that demo.

Spman2099

For anyone who has disregarded Hyper Cube out of hand, I strongly recommend reconsidering your position. I would have never expected it to be as impressive as it is. It is SUPER cool.

Wayward Sky -- holy shit, holy shit.

From demo to instant buy. It's brilliant.

I LOVE these diorama-style games. Videos simply don't do it justice. A mix of third person dioramas

So good.
This was me after playing that demo a little while ago too, I just bought it, hope to get to play it tomorrow. :)

Paganmoon

Try to bring the visor closer. You really need to tilt, nudge, swivel the headset BY THE HALO (not visor) until you find the right spot. Takes a few seconds but just adjust it slightly.

It's hard not to look with your eyes when turning your head. It won't go away completely but it will remain in your periphery.

I snug that shit on my eyeballs, lol. I need to bring mine one notch out otherwise I fog the lenses and my eyebrows get all slick.

I've got it as close as I can have it (cause otherwise, the FoV is just too small), getting lots of smudging from my eyelashes. Apparently the issue I'm having isn't that uncommon, and is supposedly something they worked a lot on getting rid of for the Vive. I'm going to have to play around some more with positioning to see if I can get rid of the distortion. It really is a showstopper for me, totally takes me out of the experience, and adds to motion sickness.
There really should be some more to the initial setup process, taking you through IPD settings, and showing a gridlike view so you can get rid of this warping/distortion.

Only thing I can say is make sure you spin the clicker on the back and have it tight - vertical movement of the headset can cause really wobbly disting. can't be easy making one headset design fit everyone, but there's definitely things you can do to minimise the iffiness.

It's not wobbling distortion, for instance, when moving my head, the VR representation of the DS4 gets it's shape warped (and it stays in that warped shape, if I hold the position), it's more likely caused by the lens position, and the warping it does of the display.

Tagg9

For anyone who has disregarded Hyper Cube out of hand, I strongly recommend reconsidering your position. I would have never expected it to be as impressive as it is. It is SUPER cool.

There isn't a demo is there? I couldn't find one before. $40 (Canadian) is too steep for me for such little amount of content.

DjRalford

some of these games look so clean and clear, it's actually amazing how blurred some of the others are in comparison, walking to the haunted house in playroom the puddles on the floor look almost real, and everything is pin sharp.

hawk2025

some of these games look so clean and clear, it's actually amazing how blurred some of the others are in comparison, walking to the haunted house in playroom the puddles on the floor look almost real, and everything is pin sharp.

Yeah, there's a lot of variation on how crisp and clear games look. I'm guessing a lot of that was the rush to launch and getting the framerate locked.

There really should be some more to the initial setup process, taking you through IPD settings, and showing a gridlike view so you can get rid of this warping/distortion.

May or may not help, but if you go into the Devices settings there are a few more things you can adjust for PSVR. One of them is an IPD thing, though I'm not sure how much it truly changes though I did it anyway.

Soi-Fong

Rigs is seriously the best launch game of this thing alongside Batman. My gosh, these two titles just kill it for me. Both have the amount of polish you'd expect from a AAA title.

Rigs in particular just does so well with the feeling of being an athlete in this futuristic league. And the touchdowns and such are just the best feeling ever.

I think the AI being pretty good has to do with it as well. Haven't played online yet but I can't wait!

I'm using right stick for turning with absolute max sensitivity and I'm surprised I'm fine. No sickness whatsoever.

The game just has so much to do, so many unlocks, challenges, etc

Don't let the tutorial put you off guys. Give Rigs even just an hour of your time and you'll end up loving it.

Just woke up and what do I wanna do?

No, not that....

Get downstairs on the ps4 and get back into lawnmower man mode!
That harmonix demo was fun for just mucking about, really considering grabbing it, anyone here bought it yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom