• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mezoly

I'm enjoying my headset a lot. However, drifting is really annoying, re-centering is not working in all games, any solid solution so far?

jrcbandit

Should the text be a little blurry (sharp in middle, a little blurry at edge of screen) or do I need to wear my glasses? I usually only need them when watching presentations across the room.

Also, should I be able to see the real world out the bottom? I tried adjusting it but I can't seem to find the correct adjustment for blocking that.

androvsky

Which app I'm curious to try one? I've only tried a few of the videos in vrideo. The animated one in the shop was kind of neat to look at.

They really need to get the media player updated for 360 3D VR videos.

I'll look for sure :) I have encountered some of the extremely muddy videos and some where you can see where they were stitched together haha
With the standard 360 video I really like The Lion King opening song, if that was also in 3d and not compressed it would have been better than the real thing! The U2 song was pretty cool as well as the music video Kids (I think it was called).

I need more 3d films like Allumette :)
Sorry, had to dive in again :) in Vrideo, the great white shark video, the eden drugs experience, the super talent 2016, and the kpop tahiti are all labeled 3D. Watched a bit of the kpop one, was pretty weird given the low angle. I'm going to see if downloading the videos first helps with quality.

Also hulu has a VR section with a big cat encounter that's in 3D, worst video quality so far.

TLZ

Banned
Are these reaction hyperbolic or is this 'The real deal'? It's a serious question because right now this thread is making it sound like PSVR is the best thing to happen to gaming in ... like ... forever.

Best thing and a game changer since games went 3D in the 90s imo. Now we are IN the games! Though not perfect yet they're immersive and should be the norm come 2020.

How do you hook up two move controllers to the ps4? I just hooked up my PSVR and one of the USB ports is taken up by the breakout box. I used the other port to sync up one of the move controllers, so how do you sync both?

WOAH! That Wayward Sky Demo! No way this isn't the future of games...

Just experienced this!

This was sooooo fucking awesome. The first part on the table is even better to throw shit than job simulator. And the second part where you are close to the figure, holy shit. This is the real deal.

That part when you start the demo level all up close with the level and characters at your chest was mind-blowing, I was notably smiling at how close I was. In this game the big red robot was even able to get in your face with no aliasing or softness to the graphics. And then you start pointing the controller to point-and-click so smoothly.

Just bought it.

doby

How do you hook up two move controllers to the ps4? I just hooked up my PSVR and one of the USB ports is taken up by the breakout box. I used the other port to sync up one of the move controllers, so how do you sync both?

It's a one time sync, just remove the synced one and plug the unsynced one in, sync it, done!

Nags

Banned
Best thing and a game changer since games went 3D in the 90s imo. Now we are IN the games! Though not perfect yet they're immersive and should be the norm come 2020.

VR is not replacing traditional gaming lol. It's just another way, A different perspective.

Two things I hope developers avoid going forward is thin text, especially white on black and two, sudden flashes of 100% white, which I'm thinking is sometimes non intentional with graphic modes resetting or something but with how bright the vr screen is it's not the best feeling being blinded for a second.

I just plugged them into the USB one at time and then it asks you which user to assign it to. It remembers so you can remove the USB afterward. And then the next time I turned them on it just brought to the user select screen right away, no need to plug them in again.

Please a little help with Playroom VR

I can't seem to get past the calibration screen. The outline they give you for your head and controller seem like they are about 3 feet apart. I can't line up the controller and my helmet at the same time. What am I missing guys?

Big thanks in advance!

I can't seem to get past the calibration screen. The outline they give you for your head and controller seem like they are about 3 feet apart. I can't line up the controller and my helmet at the same time. What am I missing guys?

Big thanks in advance!

If it's like Batman (at first I thought it was height between a circle you were supposed to stand in and a rectangle above where the headset needed to go), it may be the camera that you need to rotate aiming it up or down a little more.

lt519

Had the wife do the shark thang and she had a blast.

Rocked through Level 2 of Thumper while Batman was downloading, that game is on point. I'm in another fucking world playing that game.

Mossybrew

Tried watching Hulu just for fun, watched an episode of Superstore and it was like I was in a theater by myself. Pretty neat, not something I'd want to do all the time, but there is an undeniable cool factor about it.

Checked out almost all the demos at this point. Really tempted to go for the full version of Wayward Sky. I'd jump on Job Simulator, EVE, Battlezone, and RIGS if they were at that magical $ 20 price point, but after dropping hundreds on the PSVR itself these are just too much for what they offer right now. Hoping some price drops are incoming soon!

Overall PSVR is impressive as hell and has massive potential. Can't wait to check out some of these upcoming titles, really hope they put more demos out there.

TLZ

Banned
VR is not replacing traditional gaming lol. It's just another way, A different perspective.

Honestly all I think of playing is VR. I can't be bothered playing anything else. I'm happy to be alive to experience this. I can honestly see this being the norm if headsets improve a lot Tech wise to the point they become just glasses.

muteki

Big thanks in advance!
I have a similar issue on the light tracking calibration tool in the system options. I can never get past step 3 even if I get all the lights in the indicators like it asks.

Haven't really had any tracking issues though.

Nags

Banned
I have a similar issue on the light tracking calibration tool in the system options. I can never get past step 3 even if I get all the lights in the indicators like it asks.

Haven't really had any tracking issues though.

The camera not upside-down, right? I remember someone in this thread did that by accident.

Not really into RIGS so far, kind of bummed. There's some weird FOV stuff going on in that game

Was it the blackout stuff that I presume is there to make it more comfortable?

I remember there was a twitch broadcast(?) where they were demoing the game and mentioned some comfort settings in the menu you could change at least for whether or not you get ejected and turning off the parachute part if those gave you motion sickness. I thought they might have mentioned the side black out comfort FOV stuff too but not sure on that, did you check in the menu if there's a way to adjust it?

Edit: Beaten by someone who actually knew for sure :)

doby

On a side note as it may not be immediately obvious, but vrideo has a ton of videos. Go4d360 channel is mostly 3D ones from Korea.

All the videos I've tried in the various apps have all been like 240p YouTube quality. I don't know why, my bandwidth is fine.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm completely new to VR but have read basically every post of every thread here.
I started with Playroom. The first section I tried was the claw machine. Just examining some of the toys that came out made my jaw hang open. Then I bent down and stuck my head inside some of the toy cabinets and my mind was really blown. This stuff would all be completely unremarkable on a TV. The power of VR.
The platformer... wow. I want more of this, hopefully without requiring co-op to reach some stuff.
I need Until Dawn:Rush of Blood after playing through the demo. I've always been a lightgun fan and I loved the ducking and weaving stuff. Also a fan of the original Until Dawn.
Then I tried Drive Club. A little after taking first place I started to feel dizzy and sweat. I tried to push through it. Big mistake. I feel like complete shit right now.
I'm not buying any games for this without trying a demo first, lol.

muteki

The camera not upside-down, right? I remember someone in this thread did that by accident.
I don't think so, would probably notice in games if that was the case and that has been working fine.

I'm also not really sure what they are trying to accomplish with that calibration sine I have to hold it so close to the camera and end up tilting the headset to make things line up.

androvsky

All the videos I've tried in the various apps have all been like 240p YouTube quality. I don't know why, my bandwidth is fine.
That's just how they look. It takes a very large resolution to do 360 video, especially in 3D. It's really too bad.

On the other hand, I just got kicked in the face by a pole dancer in one of the videos in the vrideo app.

Wanchan

Thumper is a blast, at first I was like "meh why is gaf hyped about this game?" but I'm so stupid I forgot to activate VR mode in the menu before playing.... -_- VR mode activated...mind blown.

Also tried the platformer in the VR playroom and wow, VR suits platform genre so well, platformer devs should embrace it ASAP!

Played for 3 hours and no sickness whatsoever, I'm so happy. I only have my "eyelashes dirtying glasses issue" but it's so worth it.

On a side note as it may not be immediately obvious, but vrideo has a ton of videos. Go4d360 channel is mostly 3D ones from Korea.

Ah, makes sense, I think one of theirs was in the first batch when I first launched it and seemed one of the better ones along with the shop animated one. I guess because it was in 3D.

How do you go further into a specific channel? Admittedly I didn't really look yet, just tried one or two.

Kalentan

Any impressions of Job Simulator?
That game looks like it would just be so much fun.

I almost want to get it just for the move controls. I feel like there isn't enough games right now that use them. :(

It's $30 but... I have no other game other than demos that use the move.

Robbok

I´m very pleased with PSVR, great experience. The Kitchen Demo blew me away. I tried to kick the
ZombieGirl
in total Panic, lol. Thank God I didnt´t hit anyone/thing.
Eve Valkyrie is so amazing, i always dreamed of flying around in Virtual Space. But sadly i get so nauseous, i had to interrupt several times. First Day when i tested all available Demos for hours, i became so dizzy, I was close to vomit for hours afterwards. (While getting laughs from my little daughter, which plays for hours and is totally fine. No nausea whatsoever. )
But yeah, I´m not going to give up anyway. I waited for VR at home for decades. I think i´m gonna try these Sea Bands.
Gaffers who wear glasses, how are you liking it?
I´m wearing glasses (with a very thin frame, though), having no problems at all. Its very comfortable.
I never tried Vive or Rift so i can´t say anything in comparison.

Nags

Banned
I don't think so, would probably notice in games if that was the case and that has been working fine.

I'm also not really sure what they are trying to accomplish with that calibration sine I have to hold it so close to the camera and end up tilting the headset to make things line up.

Ahh that's right you said your tracking has been fine.
Maybe it's for measuring distance. Where you hold it up to the camera seems to be like the closest you could possibly sit/stand without losing tracking.

First thing I played on my headset was the Platformer in Playroom VR thanks to the positive impressions here. It was a great first experience and a lot of fun. My mind was blown looking around behind me and up above. EVE Valkyrie is really fun too, I like that you have a body in that one. I played the Ocean Descent in VR Worlds and I missed having a body or something that I could move around in the world.

Also holy heck does it get sweaty in there. I had to clean the lenses after my second play session because they were all fogged up. Shouldn't be a big deal though, I think this is more suited to shorter sessions. Loving it so far! I can't wait to try all the demos on the demo disc and play more EVE.

Absolutely no problems with motion sickness, eyestrain/headaches, or tracking. Very pleased about that. Generally I think the graphics of games look pretty good. It was only when watching some live action stuff on VRideo that I really noticed low resolution.

Are these reaction hyperbolic or is this 'The real deal'? It's a serious question because right now this thread is making it sound like PSVR is the best thing to happen to gaming in ... like ... forever.
I'm just blown away. I mean it's only been two days but I want to play everything in VR now if my head would just let me.
I went from Alluette to the Wayward Sky demo to the thumper demo before I shut it down for the night. I think I said Wow a dozen times out loud on my way to bed here.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So, VIVE owner here (using it with a 980ti). I remember the first time I did The Blu using the VIVE and room scale, and man, I actually got a little emotional. It had such a profound impact on me. Since then I've enjoyed some smaller and very weird experimental games but with my current setup it's just too much work to get the roomscale stuff going, so rarely do I play it on my own, and just opt to do it with friends every now and then. So I was looking forward to PS VR if only because it would jive well with my setup and I could do it much easier.

As everyone else has mentioned, yeah, comfort levels are fantastic. Way better than the VIVE in that regard (I wear glasses as well). So here's how the games stack up so far for me:

Thumper: first game that I tried and holy freaking crap, wow wow wow. Visually stunning and addictive, and an amazing entry into PS VR. I was surprised by the lack of the screen door effect, and the colors and sound were just overwhelming in all the right ways.

Super Hypercube: Again, another strong impression and visual flare out the wazoo. I think the price is just a tad too high but man do I love the aesthetics. Sometimes that's really all you need to make a VR game shine. So far, everything is surpassing my expectations.

EVE Valkyrie: Ohhhh, right. For a second I forgot it was a PS4 powering this headset...it felt toe to toe with my computer until this game. The shimmering and graphics were underwhelming compared to what I've seen on the VIVE, though I can see for most people who haven't played VR how immersive it could be. After a while I got past the jagged edges and had fun, but it was definitely a reminder that this was not the highest premium VR experience out there.

Rush of Blood: I hate haunted houses, horror games and the idea of an on rails shooter seemed real bad. But the demo was surprisingly great! In fact with the dips and turns my brain started to get a dizzy sensation, but not in a "oh god I'm going to be sick" way but a "oh god I'm on a roller coaster!" way. The production values were a sobering reminder of professional studios being behind PS VR unlike the many indie experiences on VIVE (not that there's anything wrong with that, just a completely different experience altogether!)

Oddly enough with this game and the Demo Disc everything feels slightly off center, so I had to very slightly move the camera into an off angle to make the view properly "centered." Weird how this happens with some games and not others.

Driveclub VR: Eh, I don't like Driveclub and I don't like it in VR. And again it showed just how bad the graphics can be if you try to attempt a realistic look, because the PS4 just can't pull it off.

Headmaster: Great writing and sound, but had some small tracking issues when using the menus. But while in game, it worked great. Can't wait to play more.

Demo Disc: Small bits here and there. The Oceans demo...man, it's no The Blu for VIVE, and shows the huge gulf inbetween the two when it comes to the hardware powering the headsets. RIGS was tough to figure out what was going on. I really liked that Double Fine game, preordered it right away. Rez, I just don't get and even in VR continue not to get. Just not my thing I guess. Still more demos to try!

Batman VR: Surprisingly fantastic graphics, with a visual fidelity that nearly matches The Lab on VIVE. After seeing this I'm very optimistic for the PS4's graphic capabilities for VR. It just looks so good. Unfortunately my play area didn't work well with the tracking, so I have to do this another day (and man, the Move controllers...they're no VIVE controllers, not even a little bit close. They work well enough in most games, but in games that you need some amount of precision to, say, read a postcard, you're shaking enough to be distracting. Gah.)

Wayward Sky: Oh WOW, did not expect this at all! The feeling of being in a little diorama works great in VIVE (Out of Ammo is a really well done version of this) and to be able to do it while on the couch is just so good. At this point I noticed that there's a slight swim-like motion to the objects around me, like Giantbomb mentioned. It wasn't bad enough to be unplayable, or even uncomfortable, but it was noticeable given how rock solid the VIVE is.

Tumble VR: Great game pre-VR, and it seems fun here too. Didn't play it too much other than to remind me that, yeah, this is a fun little game.

Non-VR Gaming, Movies and TV Shows: I have a 65" TV so I didn't think the novelty of viewing standard games/shows using "Cinematic Mode" would be all that good. Well...I was wrong, because it looks damn solid.

Tried playing Doom and Call of Duty 4 Remastered on the biggest screen available, and man, it was just too awesome. If I needed a second screen in case someone wanted to use the TV, this would be an absolute dream. Of course, it doesn't look nearly as good as a standard TV, but it looked much better than I expected. However, the smaller of a screen you choose (medium, small), the worse the quality gets. I thought that was strange.

I tried out VUDU to see how Movies/TV looks in there. Movies have a weird judder effect- going from 24fps to 30 to 90 in the headset makes it seem slightly slower than it should actually look. It's hard to explain, but it has a different look than it does on a TV, in a way that I don't think anyone would prefer. It's totally watchable, but not in a way that I'd want to use, unlike gaming. TV shows fared better, and looks totally fine. The overall quality (using Large mode) is good, somewhere between DVD and Blu-Ray (leaning towards DVD, but better). Using Medium is DVD quality and Small looks like sub-DVD quality IMO.

Issues: At one point when I started Batman everything became unglued. Nothing was tracking well and I kept jumping around in VR space. I checked out the PS VR camera feed and it was only updating at maybe 5 frames a second! Shutting down the PS4 and restarting seemed to do the trick. Be sure to start VR using a freshly rebooted console, not one that was in sleep mode, just in case.

Headset tracking was very good, and having to reposition holding down the start button seems like an annoyance but just became second nature after half an hour. It's not a big deal at all. But controller tracking is just not great, especially compared to the VIVE. If I ever have to choose between the headsets when it comes to controller tracking (like Batman VR), then I am 100% going with the VIVE, no question, even if that means I only get to play it once every month or so. However, if it is a controller based experience, then I am absolutely going with PS VR. The comfort levels and ease of use beats everything the VIVE would offer, including visual fidelity. Being comfortable and throwing on a headset for VR is just soooo nice. Man!

The VIVE and PS VR complement each other really well, surprisingly. When I have family and friends over, the VIVE is still going to be my go to showpiece. But when I'm just wanting to chill on the couch, I'm absolutely going to throw on my VR headset and just enjoy it. I can see a lot of people falling in love with PS VR.

And for anyone who will have PS VR as their first VR experience...man oh man, you are in for such an amazing time. Overall I'm super happy with my purchase and can't wait to play more tomorrow.

I'm completely new to VR but have read basically every post of every thread here.
I started with Playroom. The first section I tried was the claw machine. Just examining some of the toys that came out made my jaw hang open. Then I bent down and stuck my head inside some of the toy cabinets and my mind was really blown. This stuff would all be completely unremarkable on a TV. The power of VR.
The platformer... wow. I want more of this, hopefully without requiring co-op to reach some stuff.
I need Until Dawn:Rush of Blood after playing through the demo. I've always been a lightgun fan and I loved the ducking and weaving stuff. Also a fan of the original Until Dawn.
Then I tried Drive Club. A little after taking first place I started to feel dizzy and sweat. I tried to push through it. Big mistake. I feel like complete shit right now.

I need to try that, it seems to be getting a lot of praise.

It's not a platformer but if you want another cool third person thing and like third person adventure stuff with some first person puzzles, Wayward Sky seems really promising :)
The demo is super short but worth a try, it was a great taste of what this kind of game could be like in VR before buying it. Not sure if it'll be too easy but I'm really glad there's something like this already.

Grinchy

Banned
World War Toons is impossible for me to play. I can't even take 2 steps forward without an incredibly strong, unpleasant feeling in my stomach. Yet I can play RIGS all day. I don't know what the fuck is up with that.

I´m very pleased with PSVR, great experience. The Kitchen Demo blew me away. I tried to kick the
ZombieGirl
in total Panic, lol. Thank God I didnt´t hit anyone/thing.
Eve Valkyrie is so amazing, i always dreamed of flying around in Virtual Space. But sadly i get so nauseous, i had to interrupt several times. First Day when i tested all available Demos for hours, i became so dizzy, I was close to vomit for hours afterwards. (While getting laughs from my little daughter, which plays for hours and is totally fine. No nausea whatsoever. )
But yeah, I´m not going to give up anyway. I waited for VR at home for decades. I think i´m gonna try these Sea Bands.

I´m wearing glasses (with a very thin frame, though), having no problems at all. Its very comfortable.
I never tried Vive or Rift so i can´t say anything in comparison.

Never thought of that, wonder how well they work.

i think the first time you do a boss fight in thumper is one of the most effective uses of the headset. just the sense of scale and the way it's introduced. this game fucking owns. just beat level 4.

i can't get my scores to upload to the leaderboard for some reason, though.

testing out the cinema mode watching an episode of House on Netflix in bed RN.. it's actually really cool and I'm gonna try watching a movie like this soon. resolution is more than fine.

I'm having a good time with it. My only concern is that my forehead gets too hot after 1+ hour of playing. Feels like my head's getting crushed and I need to take a break.

Two things I hope developers avoid going forward is thin text, especially white on black and two, sudden flashes of 100% white, which I'm thinking is sometimes non intentional with graphic modes resetting or something but with how bright the vr screen is it's not the best feeling being blinded for a second.

Agreed. Especially the potential for shimmering/rainbowy text needs to be watched out for.

Halabane

Okay so now that its out:

From scientific america: "Ophthalmologists, optometrists and other eye professionals note a seeming link between myopia, also called nearsightedness, and "near work"—visual activities that take place at a distance of about 40 centimeters (16 inches) from the eye—such as reading a book. Staring at a computer screen qualifies as well, though monitors usually are around 50 centimeters (20 inches) away."

So how does these headsets and using them for long periods not hurt your eyes? What is the magic sauce that makes it not be an issue here? Anyone having eye issues?

Is this why they have the warnings for young people (quote from Oculus) or is it something to do with the brain and flashing images: "This product should not be used by children under the age of 13. Adults should monitor children (age 13 and older) who are using or have used the Headset for any of the symptoms described below, and should limit the time children spend using the Headset and ensure they take breaks during use. ***Prolonged use should be avoided, as this could negatively impact hand-eye coordination, balance, and multi-tasking ability***. Adults should monitor children closely during and after use of the headset for any decrease in these abilities."

These are probably long term issues not something you would see right away. Be interesting to see now that its out in a mass form if these issues start to trend.

Enjoy test subjects. We await your medical data.

YuShtink

I'm not buying any games for this without trying a demo first, lol.

The major lesson is never try to "push through" sim sickness. If you feel yourself getting nauseous, just take a break. It's usually only going to get worse. And by the time it's bad enough that you HAVE to stop, you're fucked for a good while lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom