• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriGuy

I finally got around to playing the Kitchen demo. I guess it's early, but it's kind of hard to feel any real tension when you're looking at the equivalent of a PS3 game rendered at PS1 resolution.

Resolution is really my biggest sticking point with the PSVR in general. Text is hard to read, and textures tend to be both blurry and aliased to hell. It's off-putting, but hopefully something you just kind of accept in time.

RoyalFool

Banned
All VR headsets are like that. Holding objects to close to your face will have them become blurry

Really? It's weird - if I close one eye I can read the label on the bottles really up close, but when both eyes are open, bam - blurry. Changing the distance between eyes seems to help somewhat, but as I can't enter the values manually on PSVR I have to keep lying on the photos to try to figure out the magic number, '34' is the best for me so far.

Flandy

VR Worlds worth $40?
I seem to be able to handle RIGS, Eve, and Driveclub just fine so I don't think anything in it would make me motion sick.

Wallach

Really? It's weird - if I close one eye I can read the label on the bottles really up close, but when both eyes are open, bam - blurry. Changing the distance between eyes seems to help somewhat, but as I can't enter the values manually on PSVR I have to keep lying on the photos to try to figure out the magic number, '34' is the best for me so far.

This is to do with the vergence-accommodation problem that exists in current VR headsets due to the fixed focal distance.

You can read about it here to understand a little bit more: https://www.wired.com/2015/08/obscure-neuroscience-problem-thats-plaguing-vr/

Shoeless

We need a forward compatible flight stick and throttle. Would work great for tank, mech and flight games. Seeing all of the racing wheels out there for just racing games it pains me to see little compatability with flight sticks.

Hopefully we will see more flight style games and supported peripherals in the future for VR.

This is what I'm hoping for as well. Gaming during the 90s was an amazing time with titles like X-Wing and Wing Commander on the the PC, while the PS1 had Colony Wars, Crazy Ivan, G Police and Wipeout.

I know there's an entry level HOTAS unit available for the PS4, but I'm going to wait to see what kind of cockpit game support PS VR gets. I was really disheartened to hear EVE didn't have a traditional single-player campaign, but I'm hoping that Bamco will rectify that with Ace Combat 7. I'm also hoping that they're paying attention and realizing that an HD remaster of Ace Combat 5 that is also PS VR enabled would probably sell like crazy.

Once we start getting more cockpit games with good single player campaigns, I'm in for a HOTAS control set up.

Really wishing someone would put out a Point Blank-style shooting game for this.

I'd love an actual Point Blank game for this :D just like making a new Ape Escape or Crash Bandicoot in the style of The Playroom VR's "Robots Rescue", there are so many opportunities for old IP to make a comeback.

Is Until Dawn the only known roller coaster game for PSVR so far?

I am loving these sensations and wish there was a dedicated coaster game available...

Nydus

What game do you use to test this? For me even the speedometer in driveclub is somewhat blurry most peeps say they should be really clear :/ do you really set it down to 34mm?

VR Worlds worth $40?
I seem to be able to handle RIGS, Eve, and Driveclub just fine so I don't think anything in it would make me motion sick.

It's not cheap, but I think London Heist is just fantastic. Ocean decent is nice to show to friends, and I had a great time playing Danger Ball. Despite it feels like a great demo disc, I would not wanna miss it

DavidDesu

34mm? That's not right at all. Set it back to default at least (64mm or so I believe). They should have a slider with a live demonstration to allow people to set this properly and see what feels best.

What game do you use to test this? For me even the speedometer in driveclub is somewhat blurry most peeps say they should be really clear :/ do you really set it down to 34mm?
Driveclub is an absolute blurry mess inside and out. The worst offender next to Here They Lie. I don't know how anyone thinks anything in that game is clear. I would never release a VR game like that. It's a huge disservice.0

If you want to see if you are seeing things clearly, in the device settings in the PS4 menu they have an option to view text to make sure it's clear. I can get that crystal clear for me with default settings. After setting my IPD which only changed by 0.5mm, looks the same.

I also haven't had an issue bringing anything to my face to read with both eyes open. Try Job Sim. Lots of stuff you can pick up and pull to your face. That game has some great IQ for VR.

Nydus

Driveclub is an absolute blurry mess inside and out. The worst offender next to Here They Lie. I don't know how anyone thinks anything in that game is clear. I would never release a VR game like that. It's a huge disservice.0

If you want to see if you are seeing things clearly, in the device settings in the PS4 menu they have an option to view text to make sure it's clear. I can get that crystal clear for me with default settings. After setting my IPD which only changed by 0.5mm, looks the same.

I also haven't had an issue bringing anything to my face to read with both eyes open. Try Job Sim. Lots of stuff you can pick up and pull to your face. That game has some great IQ for VR.

Ok thank you. My IPD is 67mm but i cant really see a difference to the default value of 63mm...

Shoeless

Is there a list of PSVR titles getting a Pro patch? Love my PSVR so much, that I'm about to pre-order a Pro.

I was already on board for a Pro as a "booster" for PS VR experiences, but now that it's been announced that the Pro is also SATA III compatible, I'm like, "Oh man, better VR AND faster loading and better performance with an SSD inside? Arrrrrgh... getting... expensive..."

Still, I'll probably do it. Some games on the PS4 had insane load times, an SSD actually working at proper speeds would kill that, especially considering how long PS VR games seem to take to load.

Hasney

I was already on board for a Pro as a "booster" for PS VR experiences, but now that it's been announced that the Pro is also SATA III compatible, I'm like, "Oh man, better VR AND faster loading and better performance with an SSD inside? Arrrrrgh... getting... expensive..."

Still, I'll probably do it. Some games on the PS4 had insane load times, an SSD actually working at proper speeds would kill that, especially considering how long PS VR games seem to take to load.

I'm holding off on the SSD. It better be real SATA3 instead of the "SATA2" that just used the USB bus. I mean, I'm sure it will be this time, but after that fiasco, I'll wait until it's torn down and benchmarked.

Shoeless

I'm holding off on the SSD. It better be real SATA3 instead of the "SATA2" that just used the USB bus. I mean, I'm sure it will be this time, but after that fiasco, I'll wait until it's torn down and benchmarked.

Yeah, I completely understand. I'm excited about the rumors too, and if I get more confirmation on this, I'm all in to buy an SSD ahead of the Pro launch. It's just more of a factor for me because I'm primarily digital this generation BUT, my Internet service provider has caps on download usage, so I'd rather not get overage charges from downloading a game, only to download them again a couple of weeks later.

Holy F at the SATA III ! Didn't know that. Pro seems a no-brainer.

gcubed

VR Worlds worth $40?

No

Where is this calibration setting that people are talking about? I don't remember it at all

Hasney

No

Where is this calibration setting that people are talking about? I don't remember it at all

Console settings, not the one you hold in the PS button and it doesn't come up unless you go to the settings. It's only for if you're having issues.

Disktrasa

Banned
This is my review after a cuple of hours with the psvr; if you have the cash; go buy it.

If you dont have the cash; buy it anyway.

Its just A M A Z I N G, and have not bought any games yet, but i will buy Battlezone, that demo made my hair on my arms to stand up, dat feeling.

Well Done Sony, yesterday i have no intention to buy psvr, then i tried it and now its mine xD

lt519

Holy shit Batman is the real deal. Amazing visuals and sound. Standing on that ledge at the penguin lounge almost made me sick since I'm terrified of heights. Had to sit down.

Is anyone finding their tolerance level improving with more use? If so, I think it would make an interesting topic for a thread and perhaps alleviate a few worries some people may have, like me.

Definitely has been alot easier for me, so much so that I don't like the teleportation camera alot of the games use, I'd really like the option to be able to fly my camera.

I'm looking directly at you Bound, I can handle it now.

Someone earlier in the thread was talking about World War Toons and setting your controller to VR Twin Sticks in the controller menu. I did this and I ran around with full movement, was awesome.

Also Driveclub doesn't make me sick at all 😎

This is my review after a cuple of hours with the psvr; if you have the cash; go buy it.

If you dont have the cash; buy it anyway.

Its just A M A Z I N G, and have not bought any games yet, but i will buy Battlezone, that demo made my hair on my arms to stand up, dat feeling.

Well Done Sony, yesterday i have no intention to buy psvr, then i tried it and now its mine xD
Dude, everyone I showed PSVR to was entirely lukewarm to disinterested in VR flat out. Now they all have PSVR.

I feel the launch lineup of titles is good, too. There's something for everyone here, just about.

Fliesen

how do you control Keep Talking and Nobody explodes on PSVR?

move controllers or dualshock 4?

edit: and you can still just print out the defusal manual, right? it's much more fun with an actual binder, than with the on-screen instructions.

DjRalford

Holy shit Batman is the real deal. Amazing visuals and sound. Standing on that ledge at the penguin lounge almost made me sick since I'm terrified of heights. Had to sit down.

I bought and downloaded this before leaving for work due to the reception it seems to have gotten, it's my first actual VR game purchase as i've been playing through the free stuff for now, will have a go some time in the next few days.

Belfast

I'm guessing DS4. The VR version for the PC works with a Steam/Xbox One controller. Using the Moves would be very cool, but the game requires fine movements. It would be way too easy to hit the wrong thing and arm the bomb without finger tracking at the moment, IMO.

Fliesen

I'm guessing DS4. The VR version for the PC works with a Steam/Xbox One controller. Using the Moves would be very cool, but the game requires fine movements. It would be way too easy to hit the wrong thing and arm the bomb without finger tracking at the moment, IMO.

i guess so.

You should be able to check the sides of the bomb (for batteries and labels) by just moving your head, that'd be kinda amazing.

I am really happy Robot Rescue exists. I spent a lot of time trying to convince people how great Lucky's Tale was and how 3rd person platformers/action absolutely do work in VR. That's a hard sell on a platform not too many people have. PSVR games have more exposure and the response to Robot Rescue has been great. I hope that translates into some full game experiences.

Hell, I think something like Dark Souls 3rd person in VR would really work. Chronos was fantastic.

Matush

edit: and you can still just print out the defusal manual, right? it's much more fun with an actual binder, than with the on-screen instructions.
DS4 only I think. Didnt have my Moves turned on while playing it yesterday. Also yeah, you can print out manual without any problems.

Alright guys, I found the Launch Bundle in stock near me.

What games are the MUST HAVES if I only plan on picking up 1 or 2 games today?

TrojanAg

I've had my PSVR for a couple of days and any skepticism about VR was pretty much laid to rest. My first experience was Playroom VR and it was definitely one of those gaming moments I won't forget. This is how platforms should be made in the future. It would be amazing if Nintendo made a Mario game like this.

No issues with the headset tracking. I have had some minor tracking issues with the dualshock doing that weird shifting like what happened on the GB stream but it's only noticeable when I was totally still. Moving the controller has not been an issue yet.

I would try all the free stuff first, starting with the delightful Plaroom VR. Then make an informed decision based on what you liked there.

By the way standing doesn't work well for me. I think I get a tiny bit too close to the camera that way. But sitting is nearly always perfect.

WoolyNinja

Unfortunately I packed up my PSVR to send back to Amazon today. The tech is amazing, the games are great, but when I can't be in it for more than 5 minutes and it takes me over a day to recover from those few minutes I don't think it makes sense for me right now.

But make no mistake, this is the real deal and it makes me sad to have to return it. If I hear of an update that fixes the sway, or when version 2 comes out in a couple years I'll be the first one to jump right back in. There's nothing quite like feeling like you're actually in a game world.

Fliesen

ok, i'm talking to the guy, 530€ for the starter bundle is super fair, and he's a decent enough dude.

Also, if i understand this correctly, the PSVR also allows for off-TV play of all PS4 games, right? It's roughly 540p resolution, right?

Nags

Banned
VR Worlds worth $40?

I had a great time with London Heist and Danger Ball.
Scavengers Odyssey is pretty cool. Pilot a giant mech, shoot stuff and hop around giant space debris.
Ocean Descent is just an experience with no real gameplay.
VR Luge is probably the weakest of them all though. Still worth $40 imo.

Naudi

Banned
Man I'm trying to decide what game I should buy. Thinking batman but the tank game or rigs also interests me. I really want an adventure game that's more then an hour playtime.

Kalentan

So I ended up just saying: "Fuck it" and bought Job Simulator and after playing it for a decent bit and then getting told there was food by my parents and then went to go get some... I just felt so weird walking through my house. Not sick mind you, but like... Weird.

i only got about an hour in today. still on the demo disc as I can't afford to actually buy a game till the end of the month and HOLY SHIT today was even better than yesterday. Alumette was lovely and I finally plucked up the courage to do the under the sea thing. Battlezone was a vibe. I was afraid of motion sickness but it was perfectly fine for me. Might have to try Driveclub again.

Can't wait till the end of the month so I can buy some games. One problem. I took the headset off and still feel like I'm in VR lol

DjRalford

ok, i'm talking to the guy, 530€ for the starter bundle is super fair, and he's a decent enough dude.

Also, if i understand this correctly, the PSVR also allows for off-TV play of all PS4 games, right? It's roughly 540p resolution, right?

You can play anything in cinema mode, but its not very sharp, well not as sharp as on TV at least, i played a bit of rocket leage on the large cinema screen and managed ok.

Man, these are some great impressions. I really hope I can try out PSVR someday. My first and only time experiencing VR was what, 13 years ago or something. I remember being on a treadmill and walking around in what I think was Doom.

I really don't have the money for this though. And I think it would be wiser to at least wait for the second iteration for the PSVR, and wait if this really takes of. Imagine the PS5 launching together with a new version of the PSVR. Man, coming from the PS4 that would be quite the experience. That'd be nice.

Fliesen

You can play anything in cinema mode, but its not very sharp, well not as sharp as on TV at least, i played a bit of rocket leage on the large cinema screen and managed ok.

i wonder if 540p with no compression on the PSVR or 720p with compression and latency via remote play is the better experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom