• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitehawk

Banned
These impressions have me hyped.

I tried PSVR, but it was a year ago with a prototype model, I think with an earlier version of the screen thought I'm not sure. It was pretty damn good then though.

Gonna try it this coming weekend, and if I like it, I might just bite the bullet and jump in.

Can't believe I might be spending $700 CAD on this thing, when I only spend $400 on my PS4.

How do you get more coins for the claw machine in Playroom VR?

I've completed the platformer level a couple times and have a bunch of coins with a PlayStation symbol on but they don't seem to give me any for the machine.

gcubed

This stand comes out on the 28th
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYGCK1M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Charges 2 dualshocks and 2 moves at the same time. Cheaper than the current option.

That's the one I'm waiting on. I never really thought about getting one before i had the psvr but there is so much crap involved you kinda need it... aided by the fact that the move controllers are pieces of shit that both use mini USB and need a data connection to charge. I'm very annoyed by Sony phoning it in on the moves and not updating them AT ALL

Slixshot

Banned
Those with VR worlds: have you played the space game?! That shit is like groundbreaking to my mind. If we can get full fledged experiences like that?! God damn VR is next level.

Just finished my first PSVR gaming session. I came away very impressed, and this is as someone who has used a Vive. I didn't have any drift issues, but the move controllers do have some wiggle jank, just as they did when using them on PS3. This (and room scale) are much improved with a Vive. However, I was surprised at the amount of movement games like batman do allow. Not room scale, but more than head tilting (like my GearVR).

Others have said it, but my opinion is that the PSVR has one key thing over the other headsets: GAMES. I have a PC with a 980ti and the funds for a Vive, but I opted to wait because while it was fun, there wasn't a lot of software for it. I feel like the PSVR is different, it feels like modern VR and has the software to justify a purchase.

And yes, this is still the honeymoon phase for a lot of us. Here's to hoping it lasts!

Ugh, just noticed that there are tiny scratches in the center of my PSVR lens, thanks to my glasses. It's not noticeable in-game but it's only been a few days so I fear it will only get worse. Is scratch resistant coating unfeasible with VR lens?

Splinter

So does the PSVR image look as good as the 2D gameplay vids? The vids I see online look great, but I haven't played the VR so its hard for me to visualize what it actually looks like IRL. How's the immersion?

Do you feel like you are really in the game? Does the headset give you a good sense of depth?

Also, does it live up to your childhood fantasies of virtual reality? VR is something I've always deemed about, so ,y expectations are pretty high.

MrGerbils

Man I would love just a simple Time Crisis series port to PSVR. Doesn't need to be updated other than just render at 1080p and make you actually duck instead of using the pedals.

Are there any non horror themed light gun style games out or coming out?

So does the PSVR image look as good as the 2D gameplay vids? The vids I see online look great, but I haven't played the VR so its hard for me to visualize what it actually looks like IRL. How's the immersion?

Do you feel like you are really in the game? Does the headset give you a good sense of depth?

Also, does it live up to your childhood fantasies of virtual reality? VR is something I've always deemed about, so ,y expectations are pretty high.

The image quality is actually better than the 2d videos, but the pixelation / aliasing is worse because imagine that screen pressed right up to your face and scaled across your whole field of view.

Sense of immersion and place is really strong, as is the sense of depth. The hardest thing to describe from 2d videos is the sense of scale and distance. It's not like 3D movies where things just kinda pop out, it really feels like things are near you and at real world scale. The only big caveat to feeling like you're in a game is that you kinda feel like you're in a game but wearing goggles, because you don't have full peripheral vision.

All that said, it doesn't really live up to your wildest childhood dreams because movement in VR is really disorienting if done with a joystick like a typical fps. That's why you see games using roomscale and teleportation, etc.

gcubed

Ugh, just noticed that there are tiny scratches in the center of my PSVR lens, thanks to my glasses. It's not noticeable in-game but it's only been a few days so I fear it will only get worse. Is scratch resistant coating impossible with VR lens?

You aren't going to notice smudges and scratches on the lenses unless they are big or very deep. One thing about them being so close to your eye is that you can't focus on them. I've played vr with scratched to hell lenses that looked horrible when looking at them but didn't notice when I had the headset on

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Bought Thumper, first game purchase for my PSVR, and man this thing is intense.

SomTervo

Nice. Thanks for the replies. I'll check it out.

No worries. As the other person mentioned it's wave based all the way through. Worth mentioning! There are no traditional levels to explore or anything. There's just unlocking gear, levels, simple story content. There may be special levels /bosses but I never got that far.

That's why I prefer Raw Data and HordeZ. There's a better sense of progression and adventure.

RoyalFool

Banned
Is there a distance sweet-spot with you guys? things look pretty clear in the game a few virtual meters in-front of me, but, when I bring objects closer to my eyes to look at the finer details, they end up just getting even more blurry.

Had to hold the note at arms length for example in the heist game to read the safe code.

Wondering if that's normal, a headset issue, or just my eyes.

Man I would love just a simple Time Crisis series port to PSVR. Doesn't need to be updated other than just render at 1080p and make you actually duck instead of using the pedals.

Are there any non horror themed light gun style games out or coming out?

There is a 5-10 minute segment of London Heist that is basically what you are after. It was such a tease, but a ton of fun while it lasted.

I really hope there are more PSVR light gun style games. I'm a huge fan of the genre, it's like my Dynasty Warriors. I'm that guy that still has all of the Saturn light gun games, House of the Dead 1-3, the PS4 time crisis, Wii U House of the Dead, etc. Give me some more of that in VR, pretty please!

Error1355

I started looking for a good way to charge the move controllers, and found that the move charge pack on Amazon was going for like $40-50 through 3rd party sellers...

After doing some research I found that some older Dual Shock 4 charging packs actually is the same exact unit with a plugged in adapter for DS4 controller and also work with move controllers. Currently they are cheap as hell right now at $10 on Amazon/Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879261634
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OGPTED4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Loudninja

PSVR games coming this week:

Pixel Gear
Pixel Gear is a pixel style VR shoot-em-up with a variety of humorous cartoon monsters and ghosts as enemies. Use your skills and weapons to defeat them, gain energy, and apply your skills wisely to slow down time and load up infinite bullets. Observe the environment carefully. And keep on shooting in the pixel battlefield!

SportsBarVR
Bringing the virtual pub experience to your living room. SportsBarVR is the ultimate social experience available on PS VR, featuring an awesome set of bar games and an incredible pool simulation including 8 Ball, 9 Ball, Killer, and many more cue sports.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/10/16/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-10182016/

Codiox

I'm in the same boat. It's just like...man. I knew going into these games the immerson level, and I try to think of it like an acid trip, you know. Like, it's crazy, but it's not real. It's probably even less real if you're sitting and you know nothing is going to happen unlike being on drugs where you could wonder around and hurt yourself. But you're too lucid during it. I wanna try again, but I really don't know if I'll be able to or not.

The demo is only the tip of the iceberg. In the full game there are 7 tracks and I only could finish track 3. And track 2 is the demo track. This is too fucking intense.

Also everybody get SportsBarVR!

ZehDon

Those with VR worlds: have you played the space game?! That shit is like groundbreaking to my mind. If we can get full fledged experiences like that?! God damn VR is next level.
Yep. Finished Scavenger's Odyssey last night. Absolutely blew me away. I would absolutely love a full length title, maybe with multiplayer. Dare I dream of a Mechwarrior game for this?

Naudi

Banned

Resolution is worse in game I think. But to answer you're other questions you absolutely feel in the game. The sense of depth and presence is amazing. Looking over edges or on a roller coaster it all feels like it would in real life . So far it lives up to exactly what I always hoped would happen one day .

MrGerbils

There is a 5-10 minute segment of London Heist that is basically what you are after. It was such a tease, but a ton of fun while it lasted.

I really hope there are more PSVR light gun style games. I'm a huge fan of the genre, it's like my Dynasty Warriors. I'm that guy that still has all of the Saturn light gun games, House of the Dead 1-3, the PS4 time crisis, Wii U House of the Dead, etc. Give me some more of that in VR, pretty please!

Totally. I think it was just a bit simple compared to the well developed stuff in games like time crisis or virtua cop.

More more more!

Hellers

Yes to all those questions. Due to the 3d effect providing depth and immersion everything looks far better wearing the headset than it ever could in a 2d video

Which of the two stands should I go for? The Power A one is 50 and the Collective Minds one is 35 but I also want to make sure it's a good quality one. Any help please?

orioto

Good Art™
Yes to all those questions. Due to the 3d effect providing depth and immersion everything looks far better wearing the headset than it ever could in a 2d video

That said to be honest here, cause there is a big blurry area about that on the net.

So yes, of course, being VR will be the whole benefit over a traditional 2d version of it. Now is the iq better ? No, it's not. I have to admitt blurry small things in the background (for exemple in drive club) are even less visible. having more distance and density on a 2d video makes them clearer.

So that whole "a shared vid is not the real quality" means it's not the effect of the VR, and such a 2d vid means nothing in the end, but it's actually a better quality.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm picking up this bad boy next week:

AbsD6xV.jpg

KwmUDYT.jpg

TKFDLI6.jpg

Looks incredible.

Zero charging ports, but I don't need them either.

Which of the two stands should I go for? The Power A one is 50 and the Collective Minds one is 35 but I also want to make sure it's a good quality one. Any help please?

I'm currently planning to buy the Collective Minds, mainly since it handles 2x DS4. Their other products seem to have good ratings on Amazon.

You aren't going to notice smudges and scratches on the lenses unless they are big or very deep. One thing about them being so close to your eye is that you can't focus on them. I've played vr with scratched to hell lenses that looked horrible when looking at them but didn't notice when I had the headset on
Thanks, that's a bit comforting to hear. Still, going to be extra careful from now on. Wish I wasn't so careless to begin with but lesson learned.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

No, the hardware limitations and screen door effect cause a fuzzier, blurrier visual.

I'm currently planning to buy the Collective Minds, mainly since it handles 2x DS4. Their other products seem to have good ratings on Amazon.
Cool. Will look into this one for a bit then. Yeah I like the fact that there are 2 DS4 charging ports. Thanks!

I'm picking up this bad boy next week:

Looks incredible.

Zero charging ports, but I don't need them either.
Whoa. Where did you find that? How much does it cost?

Loudninja

Some PS4 pro VR details for Bound
Hi,
As for VR. We enabled new effects in VR like volumetric lights. On top of that we are rendering sharper shadows - which are crucial in VR and rendering to 4K internal screen which is then supersampled to 1080P display in PSVR. We can do 4K rendering for PSVR since there are still unused black spots that saves us 15% of bandwidth. In native 4K we have places in the game that run at about 50 fps, and that's wy we decided to not use it.

Thanks in your interest! If you have Bound and PSVR, then you already have a free patch that enables VR for our game. Go and check it out :)

Zombine

Banned
I keep getting this error message that the processor unit is getting too hot. I really wish I knew what the issue was because after a while my PS4 turns off after I try to brute force it.

Because of a stupid ban I couldn’t be here for VR Hype Day One. I would have loved posting while it was my girlfriends turn with the headset. So here are 3 1/2 days of thoughts in one long post.

-London Heist was the first thing I did. It was that second section, in the bar, that made me a VR believer, convert, cheerleader, fanatic, etc. I have never tried VR before….so I am sitting there and I start to tinker around..I realize I can stand up and get in this guys face or I can turn all the way around and see all these weapons on the wall behind me or I can blow into the microphone and smoke comes out of my virtual mouth and I just stopped talking to my girlfriend about how it all looked and restored to things like “holy shit” and tons of smiling.

From that 20 minutes playing London Heist I felt like I did when my father got me a SNES for Christmas back in the day.

-My girlfriend tries Until Dawn and it was incredible. Watching anyone play is tough when you are just watching the TV. It makes you jealous, you want to be playing. And if it’s something you haven’t played or seen before you have no idea of the scale of what you are seeing. Like when the Until Dawn bad guy’s head is 100 feet tall and looking at you. Or when those tiny spider jump on your head and you can somehow “feel” them”.

I popped in Super Mario World and it just felt like something brand new. I didn’t know about graphics and specs, it just felt NEW. And the worst part was the waiting. “MY TURN!!!”

-I bought almost every game that came out. I will list a few later that I skipped (for now). It feels so good to be surprised by things you bought because the price was right. Like Tumble and Headmaster. Those are great games. But then something that I was totally not considering blew me away. I played the demo for Wayward Sky…got to literally the first section when you have to click and move the girl..quit the game and bought it. I want to see all of this. My first thought was of God of War 3. The angle you are seeing the girl at and the platform she’s on feels like a God of War arena. I wasn’t sure what a 3rd person game would look and feel like and I thing I like it more than any 1st person game. I know God of War reboot is over the shoulder and that’s fine..but if they could add VR support to GOW3 Remastered and let me stand over that Cronus fight that would be fucking incredible. 3rd person

When I wasn’t playing SMW my cousins and I would talk about what other games we want to play. Even though a world map wasn’t new there was something about how you moved around in SMW that felt like you were traveling to different places.

-Then while skimming GAF I saw a few mentions of what I think is top 5 VR games. Robot Rescue. If everything before felt a lot like getting a SNES. This was the next step and I felt like I was playing Mario 64 for the first time. Every few seconds something happened in that game that shocked me. Whoever made this game is giving away some of the best game gimmicks…do they know I would pay for this. The way the controller works, the co-op and this decades version of realizing you can move the camera…..turning all the way around, seeing the way you came and having to walk back that way while facing behind you. I have played every 3D Mario game since 64 and never cleared them. That wouldn’t be the case here. I hope this becomes a full game.

I would sit for hours trying to get every star in Mario 64. I have no patience for that now, If something is too annoying to get I just move on. Then, it wasn’t about getting to the end for me it was about “completing” a game.

-By Friday I guess I had spent close to 700 dollars on everything (Launch Bundle, Games). I didn’t want to spend more. But when Rez and Thumper just aren’t loud enough in the 5 headphones I have whats another 250 on an Astro A40 w/ Mix Amp. I don’t think the volume level out of the VR cable is good. It seems very low to me. Rez and Thumper are incredible but I want my ears to be ringing when I am done playing. I hooked up the A40s and played through Level 2 of Thumper three times back to back and my eyes, ears and body where fucking exhausted when I stopped. I categorize those games as experiences. When either of us play we don’t say anything to the outside world. We are either in awe (Rez) or focused (Thumper).

When the N64 was out I was old enough and had money enough to buy a crappy Sony Surround Sound in a box. Even though the N64 was outputting in stereo the receiver was somehow able to separate some things if you put it one of those fake sound profile modes (like Dolby Pro Logic or some shit). I would make my cousins play and point at the speakers thinking how cool it was that the sound was moving around our basement.

Not sure how to wrap this whole thing up. In the last few days our lives have been consumed by this. Our dog is terrified of the headset because he somehow relates it to us screaming or jolting in fear (when playing Until Dawn). I have re-arranged parts of our living room to make a VR corner so the headset is always ready to go. I have the camera on a tripod so that we can quickly reconfigure the room for when people come over. I mean…it has just been incredible.

I haven’t enjoyed video games like this since I was a kid. And people can say it’s a honeymoon and the wonder wears off….okay? Even if it does..like, everything does..why not enjoy it NOW instead of worrying about the “longevity of the platform” or “the post release lineup looks dire”. People played Wii Bowling for years. When I was in Best Buy to pick up the A40s there was a woman a lot older than me buy a Launch Bundle, I had to chime in and tell her that she had no idea what she’s in store for. She gave me a high five and asked for my PSN name. People are excited about this and the way that Wii word of mouth spread is going to happen here. I sometimes play the arms folded, impress me games industry role and I forget that the everyday Joe Schmoe is just looking to have fun and they don’t care if the Move Controller don’t track 100% of the time. During lunch we watched some portions of a PSVR launch day lineup and my girlfriend noted how miserable all the people playing and watching looked and rolled her eyes when they expressed concern that these devices are now being sold to the public. She has no idea who these hosts are and said “thank god I am not that jaded”.

I still have A LOT of games to play and am glad to be able to participate now with all the people who seem to be having as great of a time as I am!!

FAVORITES (So Far):
Playroom
Wayward Sky
Harmonix Easel
Until Dawn
Batman
Bound
Thumper
Rez
London Heist
Job Simulator

number11

i'm tempted to return this. Thumper is one of the only games I enjoy, doesn't give me tracking issues and doesn't make me sick. My room can be jet black, but playing Tumble is near impossible with the constant shaking.

Chittagong

Gold Member
One thing that's hard to grasp from videos viewed on a regular screen is the insane contrast. Blacks are really black, and whites are so very bright it's amazing

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Really want to play a shooting game but Until Dawn seems to be the most fleshed out and I just can't really do jump scares :(

London Heist demo was fun but from what I hear it's a pretty short experience in the main thing.

SomTervo

One thing that's hard to grasp from videos viewed on a regular screen is the insane contrast. Blacks are really black, and whites are so very bright it's amazing

Yeah, on pc I consider playing all games in the Stream 's VR theatre just because the colour balance is so good.

i'm tempted to return this. Thumper is one of the only games I enjoy, doesn't give me tracking issues and doesn't make me sick. My room can be jet black, but playing Tumble is near impossible with the constant shaking.

Do we know what is causing the tracking issues?

With the Vive it's very helpful to remove anything reflective from the sensor zone.

newarrior

Another hour with it, and I can't get most of the screen to not be blurry as hell, I'm sweating like a pig in it, and the headset is so uncomfortable. I really wish I was having the experience a lot of people here are having, but it's obviously just not for me yet. Damn.

RoyalFool

Banned
Another hour with it, and I can't get most of the screen to not be blurry as hell, I'm sweating like a pig in it, and the headset is so uncomfortable. I really wish I was having the experience a lot of people here are having, but it's obviously just not for me yet. Damn.

Yer, my problem is things up close are blurry - where as others are telling me that when they hold things really close they can see them perfectly. Not sure if it's a headset or eye thing.

Try moving the camera away from the TV like face 90 degrees away.
Sit further back for tumble because you lean forward a lot
Don't move the dual shock.between your face and the camera
Tracking should be solid for the headset I did over two hours of tumble with only dual shook going red if I stacked too.high and forgot.to move and rotate the table but instead just reached everywhere.

robotrock

Banned
Yer, my problem is things up close are blurry - where as others are telling me that when they hold things really close they can see them perfectly. Not sure if it's a headset or eye thing.

All VR headsets are like that. Holding objects to close to your face will have them become blurry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom