• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moreche

One thing that's hard to grasp from videos viewed on a regular screen is the insane contrast. Blacks are really black, and whites are so very bright it's amazing
I have an issue with the Kitchen demo, I was expecting it to be very dark but it's not. It's as if the RGB black levels are way off in that demo.

Raonak

Banned
Holy shit Batman is the real deal. Amazing visuals and sound. Standing on that ledge at the penguin lounge almost made me sick since I'm terrified of heights. Had to sit down.

Holy shit, yes.
that was mind-blowing on levels I could not comprehend.

my fear of heights was triggering so hard when i looked down. I couldn't even force myself to look straight down for more than a few seconds. I knew it wasn't real, but the feeling was indistinguishable.

Telekap

All these positive experiences has been incredible to read. I have a launch bundle waiting for me at home. Won't get to play till the first of Nov because traveling for work. So reading all these impressions has been fantastic to pass the time.

I would try all the free stuff first, starting with the delightful Plaroom VR. Then make an informed decision based on what you liked there.

By the way standing doesn't work well for me. I think I get a tiny bit too close to the camera that way. But sitting is nearly always perfect.
This is an important point. When I sit, it seems to want me about 5' from the camera. When I play standing, it is almost double that. If you have the space, it is not hard to step back and tilt the camera.

After I realized that PSVR has different distance preferences for sitting vs. standing, I had no tracking issues. Note: Only standing game I've played so far is batman. At 5-6' it was having tracking issues (primarily when putting stuff by my hip). No issues after I re-calibrated further away from the camera.

BadHand

Played through Tomb Raider VR extra and it is okay.

Bought Tumble and LOVE IT. This is the game to own in VR. Move controller support is fantastic in this title. Isn't disorienting in the slightest. Puzzles are challenging and fun, A must have for $10.

I just wish you could walk around the platform to inspect the puzzle. Rather that spinning it with a button press. You can get almost around it, but it is too close to the camera.

Luigi87

Possibly a stupid question, but as far as launch bundles go, that's likely not just an initial shipment one and done thing, right? Sony surely will ship more of those in addition to the standalone headset, hopefully?

RoyalFool

Banned
So I ended up just saying: "Fuck it" and bought Job Simulator and after playing it for a decent bit and then getting told there was food by my parents and then went to go get some... I just felt so weird walking through my house. Not sick mind you, but like... Weird.

I find this too, with the standing titles - after I play and come off, everything is pulsing a bit. Sit down titles I can do for hours without any side-effects. The dodgy FOV in SportsBar makes it even worse..

Brains are weird, I remember playing the Sims for an entire day once and my brain kept urging me to 'speed the game up' whenever I was doing boring stuff in real-life.

I am really happy Robot Rescue exists. I spent a lot of time trying to convince people how great Lucky's Tale was and how 3rd person platformers/action absolutely do work in VR. That's a hard sell on a platform not too many people have. PSVR games have more exposure and the response to Robot Rescue has been great. I hope that translates into some full game experiences.

Hell, I think something like Dark Souls 3rd person in VR would really work. Chronos was fantastic.

Agreed, I hope devs see this response and dive in on making some more 3rd person games. I was hoping 3rd person would be really good so it was very cool getting a taste of how good 3rd person could be so easily right off the bat in some demos.

I'd also like some more stuff like Wayward Sky as well.

You can play anything in cinema mode, but its not very sharp, well not as sharp as on TV at least, i played a bit of rocket leage on the large cinema screen and managed ok.

Anime off a blu-ray can look pretty decent in cinema mode at least.

robot

Played through Tomb Raider VR extra and it is okay.

Bought Tumble and LOVE IT. This is the game to own in VR. Move controller support is fantastic in this title. Isn't disorienting in the slightest. Puzzles are challenging and fun, A must have for $10.

I just wish you could walk around the platform to inspect the puzzle. Rather that spinning it with a button press. You can get almost around it, but it is too close to the camera.

I have Rez, Thumper and Rigs, but can't stop going back to that Tumble demo. So much fun. Works great with a controller too. Will probably pick it up tonight, especially given the price.

So.... Since I have so many controllers to charge now I decided to charge the Move controllers in a USB wall socket.

Plugged them in and they don't charge, plugged them back into the Ps4 and they charge.

Do Move controllers only charge when plugged into the Ps4?

gcubed

Driveclub was my first game where after 30 seconds I quit and will never ever revisit. I got sick doing the shooting while being driven portion of the heist randomly but I didn't feel it until later. Driveclub I knew was going to make me vomit within 3 minutes

So.... Since I have so many controllers to charge now I decided to charge the Move controllers in a USB wall socket.

Plugged them in and they don't charge, plugged them back into the Ps4 and they charge.

Yes they require data pins on the charger. Everything about the move controllers suck

Hasney

Nope, but some of the wall chargers might be trying to charge at different power levels so they might not work. The official charger is a wall charger that works fine.

Jashobeam

Bought Rez last night and played up to Area 3, game is VR killer app IMO. The gameplay is fairly simple but enough to keep you constantly on your toes and fully immersed in the world, its really easy to just lose yourself in the world as the main character floats around.

I love the feeling when you enter a new layer and when the perspective changes and you have to attack enemies from the side. I cant wait to unlock Area X, anyone try out the experienced VR setting yet? What are the differences?

DjRalford

They are really fussy things and will only charge on some things for some strange reason, i'm using my old PS3 Moves and a few months back picked up a base station wall charger for about £4 brand new off amazon, thats now plugged in the corner of the living room so when not in use they sit on the charging station.

Nags

Banned

I use my laptop to charge them just fine.

Driveclub was my first game where after 30 seconds I quit and will never ever revisit. I got sick doing the shooting while being driven portion of the heist randomly but I didn't feel it until later. Driveclub I knew was going to make me vomit within 3 minutes

I really thought I'd be the same, as I get car sick or motion sick very easily. I got really messed up playing the GearVR once as well (ended my day sick).

But with PSVR: so far so good. No issues with heist or Driveclub. Fingers crossed this continues.

Hasney

Bought Rez last night and played up to Area 3, game is VR killer app IMO. The gameplay is fairly simple but enough to keep you constantly on your toes and fully immersed in the world, its really easy to just lose yourself in the world as the main character floats around.

I love the feeling when you enter a new layer and when the perspective changes and you have to attack enemies from the side. I cant wait to unlock Area X, anyone try out the experienced VR setting yet? What are the differences?

I started on the experienced setting. Basically have you ever played the original Rez? It keeps the faithful stage transitions which I could see making some people feel very ill. I was smiling the whole way through everytime it happened.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So besides SportsBarVR, are there any other online co-op games my friend and I can pick up?

They are super fiddly and will only charge if a certain connection is met. I can't charge them off any of my USB chargers in the house, has to be off the PS4, but other people have had luck with them.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
It's depressing how spoilt for choice I am! Really enjoyed all of the demos on the disc. I planned to get a game on payday at the end of the month, but I might have to stretch to 2 or 3 games!

Can Sportsbar VR be played solo? I don't always want to play with other people online when I just want to shoot pool or do something else. I guess I should hold on Hustle Kings for it?

Loudninja

For the new page

PSVR games coming this week:

Pixel Gear
Pixel Gear is a pixel style VR shoot-em-up with a variety of humorous cartoon monsters and ghosts as enemies. Use your skills and weapons to defeat them, gain energy, and apply your skills wisely to slow down time and load up infinite bullets. Observe the environment carefully. And keep on shooting in the pixel battlefield!

SportsBarVR
Bringing the virtual pub experience to your living room. SportsBarVR is the ultimate social experience available on PS VR, featuring an awesome set of bar games and an incredible pool simulation including 8 Ball, 9 Ball, Killer, and many more cue sports.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/10/16/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-10182016/

lt519

Holy shit, yes.
that was mind-blowing on levels I could not comprehend.

my fear of heights was triggering so hard when i looked down. I couldn't even force myself to look straight down for more than a few seconds. I knew it wasn't real, but the feeling was indistinguishable.

Yeah, I wasn't sick like vomit sick, more sick like I had to get off that fucking ledge. I actually took a couple steps backwards.

Just finished the game, wow was that a really fun story (I had pieced some of it together earlier) but the whole final portion was just crazy good.

Short, but easily the most premium VR experience I've played so far and it seems like there is a lot to do on subsequent playthroughs. I'd gladly keep paying for experiences like this. I'm really hoping TellTale does something cool, the possibilities for games like this is amazing.

DjRalford

It's depressing how spoilt for choice I am! Really enjoyed all of the demos on the disc. I planned to get a game on payday at the end of the month, but I might have to stretch to 2 or 3 games!

Other than batman i can't really get anything else now until christmas, the missus told me to get the VR, but she went a bit crazy when i kinda suggested i'm buying the pro next month too, so i don;t think i can get away with buying anything else.

Still between Batman, Playroom and the demo's i'll still have plenty to play.

Ogni-XR21

I bought the Harmonix Music VR thing. While many see it as shallow I can spend hours drawing 3D stuff and listening to music. The move tracking in this "game" is also phenomenal, its almost perfect. Really shows how much it depends on the software to make the tracking work.

Be sure to check out the demo just for the move tracking alone.

Well I've just been checking out playing some games in cinema mode. Screen set to large. Trackmania Turbo in first person was pretty cool but......

OMFG I've just played PT and it was totally nuts. Anyone who says cinema mode is shit seriously needs to have a go at the pt demo. 1st go I lasted about 2 mins and it is seriously freaky

I bought the Harmonix Music VR thing. While many see it as shallow I can spend hours drawing 3D stuff and listening to music. The move tracking in this "game" is also phenomenal, its almost perfect. Really shows how much it depends on the software to make the tracking work.

We've been having a blast with this as well, the drawing mode sold us immediately. I was jamming out this morning just drawing and singing and drinking too much espresso haha

DjRalford

Well I've just been checking out playing some games in cinema mode. Screen set to large. Trackmania Turbo in first person was pretty cool but......

OMFG I've just played PT and it was totally nuts. Anyone who says cinema mode is shit seriously needs to have a go at the pt demo. 1st go I lasted about 2 mins and it is seriously freaky

Maybe it's just a perceptive thing but i've found large screen to be the clearest of the 3 settings.

For me on small the edges are always slightly blurred, and as the screen moves with you i can never get it to focus.

Medium has a similar effect but i can move to get it a bit sharper.

Large, where it is so big and you have to move your head round to see it all, managed to keep a decent focus on the area your looking at that exact moment.

jadedm17

No remorse? The demo was impressive but I didn't think through the lack of basic painting, which is what I realized quickly that I wanted instead. I'll get my money out of it but if I could go back I wouldn't have bought it. (The other two modes are like the Luge game on the PSWorlds disc : Fun once, then never again.)

I started on the experienced setting. Basically have you ever played the original Rez? It keeps the faithful stage transitions which I could see making some people feel very ill. I was smiling the whole way through everytime it happened.

Interesting.

I was super impressed in the demo that even during the winding rapid changes in direction I seemed to feel fine.

Man, I thought I had fought off the urge, but I kept popping into this thread and reading all the positive impressions. Yesterday, I finally broke down and ordered a launch bundle off Amazon. Despite an original delivery date of 10/31, it shipped today and will be here tomorrow. Also ordered Batman and Until Dawn discs and will grab Thumper on PSN. Going to wait until I try out the demos before deciding what else to buy. This will be my first VR experience so I'm looking forward to jumping in and seeing what all the hype is about.

You know what, I turned 50 this March (16th,preorder day),been gaming for over 40 years.... seen all the changes and advancements in programming and tech bringing us forever increasing immersion and entertainment in our hobby.

Well, PSVR just brought that "kid at Xmas" feeling right back to this cynical bastard. I really can't wait to see and play all the coming titles over the next few months, it's bloody great time to be a gamer!
I bought rigs, dcvr,thumper...been through the demo disc and playroom vr (yep, that platformer NEEDS a full game) and theres nothing I'd consider *crap* amongst em all.

Sony, if I wore a cap I'd doff it in your direction.

Really excited to finally get my unit tomorrow. Haven't got any games with it, so i hope the demo disc (and playroom VR) will keep me busy for a few days.

M_A_C

They are really fussy things and will only charge on some things for some strange reason, i'm using my old PS3 Moves and a few months back picked up a base station wall charger for about £4 brand new off amazon, thats now plugged in the corner of the living room so when not in use they sit on the charging station.

yeah I have that and the moves from my PS3. It's a nice little charger.

You know what, I turned 50 this March (16th,preorder day),been gaming for over 40 years.... seen all the changes and advancements in programming and tech bringing us forever increasing immersion and entertainment in our hobby.

Well, PSVR just brought that "kid at Xmas" feeling right back to this cynical bastard. I really can't wait to see and play all the coming titles over the next few months, it's bloody great time to be a gamer!
I bought rigs, dcvr,thumper...been through the demo disc and playroom vr (yep, that platformer NEEDS a full game) and theres nothing I'd consider *crap* amongst em all.

Sony, if I wore a cap I'd doff it in your direction.

Cool to hear. I'm 37 and can't wait to get mine Tuesday.

androvsky

Maybe im misunderstanding what SDE is. Everywhere i look there are scanlines like back in the days. Looking dead straight at a text i see it as well, not just on the sides. Im just hoping my unit isn't defective.

I played a bunch of Rez after reading your post. There's a bit of SDE in the headset, the tiny black spots you can see in a big white area are just big enough to make it look like scanlines in text. The reason I and others say the SDE is minimal is it's minimal compared to other headsets, like it's almost not there. But "almost not there" is still bad enough to make text look extra aliased, I think. I still hope massive oversampling on a PS4 Pro will help, but there are limits.

Slightly thicker text helps; the credits in the Invasion short don't alias but they're very blurry. The tradeoff may be what we're stuck with until PS5 and a 4K+ VR display. Fingers crossed this one does well enough to convince them to do it.

Zombine

Banned
My unit is still overheating, but I had the chance to complete The London Heist and that was hands down worth the price of admission.

Holy shit.

What a groundbreaking experience that engages you with narrative and semi compelling shooting. I got really sucked into this one and it sold me on this machine as a whole.

Now it's time to figure out what the hell is going wrong with that box. It was super hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom