• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

The RIGS demo doesn't boot off the disc for me. I get stuck at the screen telling me to make sure I'm in the camera's frame. Does anyone else have this issue?

Everything else on the disc works for me and no other applications are refusing to boot in VR on my system.

I really want to download Rigs, but I don't want to have this same issue with the full release.

Sorry, but does anyone have any insight on this?

Peltz

Another hour with it, and I can't get most of the screen to not be blurry as hell, I'm sweating like a pig in it, and the headset is so uncomfortable. I really wish I was having the experience a lot of people here are having, but it's obviously just not for me yet. Damn.

Move the back of the headset down towards the bottom of your head so that the front part where the lenses are isn't resting on your face very much.

Blurriness is due to it not being positioned at the proper height over your eyes and/or moisture on the lenses. Once you have it at the right height, it'll look much clearer.

i'm tempted to return this. Thumper is one of the only games I enjoy, doesn't give me tracking issues and doesn't make me sick. My room can be jet black, but playing Tumble is near impossible with the constant shaking.

Man, that's unfortunate. Tumble is rock solid for me no matter how much I shake my head.

newarrior

Move the back of the headset down towards the bottom of your head so that the front part where the lenses are isn't resting on your face very much.

Blurriness is due to it not being positioned at the proper height over your eyes and/or moisture on the lenses. Once you have it at the right height, it'll look much clearer.

If I do that, the front doesn't fit around my eyes at all, it pops up at maybe a 30 degree angle from my face. The only way to get it on my eyes is if the back of the headset is near the top of my head. Damn my misshapen head!

Krakn3Dfx

Picked mine up Friday, it will be what makes me start wearing contacts again (set up an eye appt for tomorrow actually just for that reason). Didn't buy anything for it until last night, played through all of the stuff on the demo disc plus some Bound which I already owned. Ended up grabbing Rush of Blood, Hamonix VR, Tumble VR, and Mat Mania (unrelated non-VR pickup).

Not sure if it's just due to the Move controllers or what, but I'm loving this a lot more than the Rift I sold off a few weeks after I got it. It's also a lot easier to get my wife into it, she played the Headmaster demo and the Ocean drop section of PSVR Worlds and liked it a lot as well. My son's girlfriend came over yesterday for her birthday, and they ended up playing the Harmonix VR stuff, she loved it because she's into art, the painting inside the VR world stuff had her hooked.

I think if VR has a chance this time around, the PSVR will be what gives it the push it needs. A lot of people have PS4s, and just having people come over and try it out seems like it could be huge for the hardware as far as expanding the user base.

Can't wait to get my Pro next month to see if it brings a lot of nice improvements to the VR space on the system as well.

All in all, very happy with the system. Also, glad I never tossed my Move controllers from 2010, $100 more for a pair is pretty nuts IMO.

No, the hardware limitations and screen door effect cause a fuzzier, blurrier visual.

Yep. But the character models and such still look great, it's just you're dealing with a lower res image. Annoying, but the immersion trumps it. I hope for PS5 that this isn't a problem for the next headset.

Peltz

If I do that, the front doesn't fit around my eyes at all, it pops up at maybe a 30 degree angle from my face. The only way to get it on my eyes is if the back of the headset is near the top of my head. Damn my misshapen head!
There's a button on the bottom of the visor that allows it to expand forward.

doby

It's way to easy to break the tracking in Job Simulator with the stuff it asks you to do.

I actually feel really peculiar today after playing the job simulator demo last night. It was the first time I'd experienced the headset tracking moving back and forth and all I was doing was turning around on the spot. It was like a lightheaded drunk feeling while I was playing and today I still feel it having not touched my psvr all day.

I actually really enjoyed the level of immersion in it, but I won't play again if the tracking is essentially broken, I've had no issues in any of the other games.

It's way to easy to break the tracking in Job Simulator with the stuff it asks you to do.

I agree, I still feel like it works really well. We cleared an 8x8 area and have no issues walking around, the move controllers track as long as you hold them to the side of your body and not right out in front when your facing away from the camera.

I actually feel really peculiar today after playing the job simulator demo last night. It was the first time I'd experienced the headset tracking moving back and forth and all I was doing was turning around on the spot. It was like a lightheaded drunk feeling while I was playing and today I still feel it having not touched my psvr all day.

I actually really enjoyed the level of immersion in it, but I won't play again if the tracking is essentially broken, I've had no issues in any of the other games.

I have not had any issues with head tracking in Job Simulator, just with the move controller tracking. Also I don't seem to get a lot of jitter with the move controllers either, might be because my walls are darker and I keep the lights low.

robotrock

Banned

Yep. It's the only time I've noticed that moving back and forth stuff. It's a shame because the game looks so good in that headset.

kinggroin

Banned

Are you talking about how the world seems to worble, wobble, and shift as you move your head?

I get that issue all the time in Playroom, drives me bananas.

Belfast

Headmaster is a good surprise, really fun. I recommend it if you like a football/soccer.

I recommend it if you just like a cool, skill-based game. The physics are spot on and its pretty difficult to hit those high scores. It's basically a shooting gallery where you use soccer headers instead of guns, and there are some really neat twists to a lot of the levels (like having to hit certain targets in order to bring up previously hidden ones, which you will need to hit to actually get three stars). Lot's of fun!

Phreaker

Definitely. Once you beat the game and unlock the Joker character model, change it to the "Eye" icon stance where he's leaning forward. If you also lean forward to look at him, his eyes will follow yours and it is extremely unsettling. I found myself in an staring match with him last night and had to switch the console off immediately afterwards because it was so unnerving.

I haven't tried that model yet, but I played around with the other 3 and felt the same. The cart where they stare at you is CRAZY. I was looking at them in great detail and was blown away. I felt like I should be able to talk to them.

doby

Really want to play a shooting game but Until Dawn seems to be the most fleshed out and I just can't really do jump scares :(

London Heist demo was fun but from what I hear it's a pretty short experience in the main thing.

You get used to it, when I first played it the lightening sound in the intro made me jump out of my skin because I was so tense. But as you play you just get used to the fact that your personal space is going to get invaded and it's actually pretty thrilling.

Belfast

i'm tempted to return this. Thumper is one of the only games I enjoy, doesn't give me tracking issues and doesn't make me sick. My room can be jet black, but playing Tumble is near impossible with the constant shaking.

Try turning on some ambient lights? Total darkness is not necessarily a good thing for the tracking.

doby

Are you talking about how the world seems to worble, wobble, and shift as you move your head?

I get that issue all the time in Playroom, drives me bananas.

Yep exactly, it's really quite trippy although I wish my brain would stop it now as I haven't played in over 12 hours, it's no way near as bad but I just feel lightheaded and just not right.

Got a launch bundle on launch day and have had three sessions since. My overall impressions are positive and the tech is definitely a keeper and I do not have buyers remorse at all. I went in blind and had not tried modern VR so that first experience was mind blowing, to say the least. I did the Ocean Descent - Shark Encounter in VR Worlds first and holy crap that was amazing, it’s a well done experience and when it was finished I ripped the headset off and ran around the house saying OMG to myself over and over. All the other mini-games on VR Worlds are fun and look great for the most part except for VR Luge, not gonna play that one again most likely. As others have said, the opening to VR Worlds and the sphere you can interact with, in the menus, is quite good and very entertaining.

I have also tried about half the demos on the demo disc and aside from DriveClub I enjoyed them all. DriveClub was very blurry, made me slightly queasy and just did not ‘feel’ right. I’ll give it another go at some point though.

Bought Rez, MIND BLOWN again. If you have played this in the past and enjoy it you will really like it in VR methinks. Cannot wait for Area X.

I do have some negative impressions or there are things that are disappointing about it to me. One is that it is a very mild chore to actually play a game. Gotta hook up the headset, fidget with it to get the sweet spot for viewing, maybe do some resetting of the camera or headset, ensure that your children/pets are occupied or sitting, have the controller/move controllers nearby in an easy to reach place (if both are needed) vs just siting down, turning on the console and playing a game. I will adjust and adapt but this was something I was not expecting or not prepared for. Another is that while it is very comfortable with glasses I have already scratched the headset lenses with my glasses. I cannot tell or do not get good feedback with how close my eyes/glasses are to the lenses and with the above mentioned fidgeting, I have touched them with my glasses I guess. I have only noticed the scratch when looking at the lenses while not wearing the headset, have not noticed anything at all while playing so that’s good.

One last thing to mention that has caught me off guard and is mildly depressing but to be expected I guess is that how it affects me physically, or I think physically. I have never been prone to motion sickness (queasiness or nausea, etc.) in my life and have not experienced much with VR, but after each session of games and demos I am affected. Wore out? Mentally exhausted? It’s just tiring and that bums me out. Ideally I will get used to it and adapt and be able to play without being drained. Kinda wish Sony would include a timer in the dashboard interface to set play times or something. Using my phone right now.

Still need to try the Playroom and the video apps and then to get to Area X. I am looking forward to this new way to play though :)

Turn down the brightness of the headset.

Belfast

Really want to play a shooting game but Until Dawn seems to be the most fleshed out and I just can't really do jump scares :(

London Heist demo was fun but from what I hear it's a pretty short experience in the main thing.

London Heist has a four-level shooting range you can keep going back to. It's not super fancy, but they put more effort in than I thought they would. Or, there's Headmaster, which is quite different in mechanics, but sort of captures that shooting gallery feel of aiming at targets.

Earleir someone in the thread mentioned the port hole effect; anyway to reduce that?
All VR headsets feel like looking through a good scuba mask or ski goggles. Tbh I notice it less with the psvr than the vive even though the vive had a bigger fov on paper, I think it's because the optics are better.

Smidget

I have bigger glasses and am scared to death in scratches the lens. Blah. That's my biggest issue with this. Having so much fun. I tried without glasses and it felt so much more immersive too but I can't see anything without them. Contacts make my eyes super dry too. Maybe I need to get new small glasses or something or maybe "game" contacts?!

Naudi

Banned

You know there is a button on the visor that moves it closer right?

doby

Anyone on the box "overheating"? I can't figure out why it keeps happening. Box feels fine.

Sounds like a defect. If the main chip has a heatsink on it and there isn't sufficient contact to the chip it'll be getting hot but you won't feel it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Really wishing someone would put out a Point Blank-style shooting game for this.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Is anyone finding their tolerance level improving with more use? If so, I think it would make an interesting topic for a thread and perhaps alleviate a few worries some people may have, like me.

Nick

How is Bound? I tried to play the "demo" of it on the demo disc, and all it leads me to is a buy button (which is lame).

doby

I have not had any issues with head tracking in Job Simulator, just with the move controller tracking. Also I don't seem to get a lot of jitter with the move controllers either, might be because my walls are darker and I keep the lights low.

It was the first time I'd played in darkness, perhaps ambient light it a good thing.

Phreaker

So does the PSVR image look as good as the 2D gameplay vids? The vids I see online look great, but I haven't played the VR so its hard for me to visualize what it actually looks like IRL. How's the immersion?

Do you feel like you are really in the game? Does the headset give you a good sense of depth?

Also, does it live up to your childhood fantasies of virtual reality? VR is something I've always deemed about, so ,y expectations are pretty high.

It does look like the 2D, but in 3D and because it is much closer it also appears to be a bit lower resolution. To be honest I was kind of shocked at first at how "low res" is seemed, but after playing for it a bit you notice it less. Then there are parts of games (like in Batman) where the graphics are really impressive. The immersion is amazing. What you can't get from the 2D videos is the sense of scale you get and of course the depth of 3D.

Yes you are IN the game. Something like Rez, you are inside the game. That part of it is does and does it well. It's quite remarkable really.

The only part that hasn't lived up to my childhood dreams are the occasional drift and tracking issues. I have to feel Sony new drift was an issue and is the reason you can recenter the controls at any time (although that seems hit or miss at times in some games). That and the resolution. I am now dreaming of 4k VR and some sort of finger/hand tracked motion controls. :)

spwolf

Headmaster is a good surprise, really fun. I recommend it if you like a football/soccer.

i wonder if it is easier for us that played football before? I watched GB live show and they kept saying it was hard, but I wasnt sure was it hard because they never hit a ball with their head or what.

How is Bound? I tried to play the "demo" of it on the demo disc, and all it leads me to is a buy button (which is lame).

Ive only played it in VR and its really good. I can see people being frustrated by the camera but I like it. Have to flick the right stick to control it but the direction you flick matters and makes sense.

It's really European :) but it has a 3d TV mode (remember them?) and a VR mode with a fixed but movable camera and the 2d game which if you like ballet dancing everywhere is your dream come true. But seriously, its polished.

I just had my parents over (both 74 years old) and they wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

My dad who normally is very bad at games and doesn't have any affinity with the medium suddenly went full crack shot during Until Dawn. Pointing and shooting was so natural to him, he was actually very good at it! That was amazing to see.

When my mother put on the VR and saw the intro to VR worlds she suddenly started crying. I immediately asked if there was something wrong and if I had to shut it down. But she said it was such a beautiful experience that it made her emotional. She was literally sobbing saying that and guaranteeing that everything was fine.

It was a beautiful to see them react to it, to see their enthusiasm.

Zombine

Banned
Sounds like a defect. If the main chip has a heatsink on it and there isn't sufficient contact to the chip it'll be getting hot but you won't feel it.
Maybe the fan is brocken? Or do you have it on top of the ps4?

Damn...I hope not. I felt my PS4 and it was hotter than usual. I don't have this plugged into the wall. My PSVR power supply is plugged into the floor.

Is anyone finding their tolerance level improving with more use? If so, I think it would make an interesting topic for a thread and perhaps alleviate a few worries some people may have, like me.

I am, RIGS and Battlezone made me sick within minutes. I demoed BattleZone at BestBuy and just shrugged the sickness off and figured when I got it home with the full game i would be fine, nope.
I picked up a pair of sea bands which helped and now with 4 days of use i can play battle zone for hours with just a slight hint of sickness.

Im using the gold headset with psvr just fine.

Im surprised there is no fight night game or any boxing for vr yet.

Honestly Sony needs to bring some of the great Move games from PS3 like The Fight: lights out and Sports Champions. They were great games and playing in VR will take them to the next level.

LowSignal

Same with Sports Bar games, only gives the option to Buy. WTH is it even on the disc? So far im kinda torn on if PSVR was worth it or not. The motion controls make the harmonix game work so much better, same with Unitll Dawn Rush of Blood.

Mokubba

What? where is this Vrideo app?

Create a US account and download it off the store.

I'm picking up this bad boy next week:

AbsD6xV.jpg

KwmUDYT.jpg

TKFDLI6.jpg

Looks incredible.

Zero charging ports, but I don't need them either.

Wow Link to that please?

Fixins

Banned
All VR headsets feel like looking through a good scuba mask or ski goggles. Tbh I notice it less with the psvr than the vive even though the vive had a bigger fov on paper, I think it's because the optics are better.

I worde dit wrong, I meant the two like little sub circles on the side of the lense i can notice on PSVr; i saw it on dev units too.

Fliesen

a guy i know would be selling his Starter Bundle (almost unused, he's selling it because it makes him nauseous) for 520€ ...

might bite.

Is there a way to reset Camera / Headset to factory settings?

After day one everything appears to be closer to me. So for example I can't really see my guy in Playroom VR unless I look directly down.

Wasn't like that before. I've tried every calibration option I can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom