• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

I've had one on loan for a couple of weeks and the potential is there but not the content yet. I do really enjoy it for watching 3D Bu Rays so that would be enough to justify me owning one (at the right price). Any software titles after that would be a bonus.

A question that maybe someone in here can answer. Playing on a PS4 Pro I think Bound's image quality is amazing. However, RE7's image quality is muddy in comparison and I don't believe this is due to the visual style. Does RE7 not run at the full resolution of the PSVR headset like Bound does?

I believe Bound is running at a greater resolution and is supersampling what you actually see in the headset, hence the sharp display. In 2D mode the game runs at 4K 60 IIRC so they had the overhead to do this, due to the simplistic visuals and low textures. Resident evil on the other is aiming for a gritty, realistic aesthetic and pushes the hardware much more. There's a NX Gamer performance video on youtube where he talks about the resolution and tech differences (at work so can't watch it right now to answer you fully).

ffvorax

Honestly speaking, asking everybody. If you are REALLY interested in Farpoint because of using the Aim controller blasting aliens, why are you waiting for reviews? Unless the game turns out to be extremely broken and the Aim controller is terrible in aiming, we already know game length, challenge mode, co-op and games that supports it. Are you really expecting mind blowing story, I mean what if the reviewer told you the story is awful but shooting is fun, will you still buy it? Are you really buying it for the story? For $30 or $40 I really do think the price is worth it for 4 to 5 games. Even if I finish Farpoint, I can occasionally just boot up and shoot some aliens.

I didn't followed progress on the game after the first gameplay video... so I just wanted some first impressions on the game before going to read something more on the internet... :p

I actually wait for a RE7 price drop to buy first, so I wasn't gonna buy fairpoint on the release date anyway...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I've had one on loan for a couple of weeks and the potential is there but not the content yet. I do really enjoy it for watching 3D Bu Rays so that would be enough to justify me owning one (at the right price). Any software titles after that would be a bonus.

There's literally plenty of content. Read the last OT of PSVR.
But for the future....I've never heard of these games but they look fun and interesting.

The Persistence

ThePersistence_03.jpg

the-persistence-2017311123016_1.jpg

the-persistence-2017311123016_2.jpg

Trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hruXZ-ylQX0

Syndrome

046358.jpg

046357.jpg

Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tBX213IGRA

The Invisible Hours

The-Invisible-Hours-A-Mysterious-VR-Game-2.jpg

theinvisiblehoursvr-800x500.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8niGWJLcMc
http://www.tequilaworks.com/en/the-invisible-hours/

There's literally plenty of content. Read the last OT of PSVR.
But for the future....I've never heard of these games but they look fun and interesting.

People will always find an excuse to say PSVR doesn't have meaningful games no matter how much I update the OP game list. So I wouldn't bother trying to explain :p

MattAces

People will always find an excuse to say PSVR doesn't have meaningful games no matter how much I update the OP game list. So I wouldn't bother trying to explain :p

Thanks a lot for the list, often when people complain about PSVR not having any content since launch, this is the first link I will send to them. I get really upset whenever I see people like these. It's like, just because you ignored all of the game trailers and announcement, doesn't mean they don't exist. It's so easy to browse past games, current games and upcoming games, or an even better solution, look at the front page where games are sorted in monthly release.

mckmas8808

Yeah good point. The Farpoint review thread WILL BE A NIGHTMARE! Unless the game gets like a 85% Metacritic or something stupid high.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, Korix gets so much harder when multiple enemy bases start popping up on a level. I'm going to really have to plan this one out. I was just dominating the AI and then the game bitch-slapped me.

Having loads of fun with this but it always seems a bit blurry. Have done the eye distance stuff and cleaned the lenses with a microfibre cloth but there's always a bit of blur and it never seems quite as crisp.

Am I chasing an impossible dream here?

Joystick

Become the Hunter When Tooth and Claw Arrives in Fall 2017

Tooth and Claw puts players into the skin of a saber-tooth tiger, where they’ll be able to explore prehistoric hunting grounds as they track, hunt and kill opponents in multiplayer PvP arena combat.

The title is expected release in Fall 2017, available for HTC Vive and PlayStation VR.

Fire-Point Interactive will be debuting the videogame at CVR 2017, in Vancouver, Canada from 5th – 7th May 2017.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/05/become-the-hunter-when-tooth-and-claw-arrives-in-fall-2017/

Nice to see a stream of new PS VR games announced.

Having loads of fun with this but it always seems a bit blurry. Have done the eye distance stuff and cleaned the lenses with a microfibre cloth but there's always a bit of blur and it never seems quite as crisp.

Am I chasing an impossible dream here?
Have you tried moving the headband up and down to find the sweet spot before you tighten the band?

Joystick

Fark. Just spent 30 mins putting together a post based on Sony's patent for Lighthouse-like tracking (there was news of this in Feb but I couldn't see it discussed in this thread) only to have security token timed out and lost it. Auto save draft please GAF.

Anyway here is the patent:
http://www.google.com/patents/US20170039959
With images:
http://scooblr.com/assets/uploads/2017/02/US20170039959A1.pdf

Uses a MEMS mirror to project a high frequency pattern in a beam instead of a line of light, presumably for better accuracy or lower latency compared to Lighthouse and of course Move. It's a very detailed patent and talks about things like using RF instead of light to synchronise with receivers, using multiple microphones on the HMD to detect sound source or noise cancelling, 3D see-through camera, and some other stuff. Some of this was hinted/mentioned in the Lighthouse patent but not emphasised.

Sony filed for the patent 6 weeks after the Lighthouse patent was published. Saw an opportunity? Might never see the light of day of course.

Nice to see a stream of new PS VR games announced.

Will update thread when I have the time, currently rushing to finish college work.

Fark. Just spent 30 mins putting together a post based on Sony's patent for Lighthouse-like tracking (there was news of this in Feb but I couldn't see it discussed in this thread) only to have security token timed out and lost it. Auto save draft please GAF.

With images:

Uses a MEMS mirror to project a high frequency pattern in a beam instead of a line of light, presumably for better accuracy or lower latency compared to Lighthouse and of course Move. It's a very detailed patent and talks about things like using RF instead of light to synchronise with receivers, using multiple microphones on the HMD to detect sound source or noise cancelling, 3D see-through camera, and some other stuff. Some of this was hinted/mentioned in the Lighthouse patent but not emphasised.

Sony filed for the patent 6 weeks after the Lighthouse patent was published. Saw an opportunity? Might never see the light of day of course.

No, I think its highly logical that PSVR 2.0 will use some sort of inside out tracking.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm liking Korix way more than I thought I would. It's not for everyone, but if you like tower defense games like Pixeljunk Monsters, you may love this too. The more you learn about tower placement and what does and doesn't work, the more awesome you realize the game is. Being 120fps native is also really nice.

Time to get that PS Pro!
It is s PS Pro, I'm starting to think I must just have a weird shaped head.

What I'm trying to gather is, for you guys in this thread, is the PSVR as clear and as sharp as, say, it's presented (repeated) on the TV or will there always be a little bit of blur?

MattAces

What I'm trying to gather is, for you guys in this thread, is the PSVR as clear and as sharp as, say, it's presented (repeated) on the TV or will there always be a little bit of blur?
A little subjective. Games that have realistic graphic is definitely blurry compared to standard TV, like EVE Valkyrie, Brookhaven, Driveclub or Rigs. Most cartoon graphics game are as sharp as TV. There are some exception, Statik, Trackmania, Mortal Blitz are some of the sharpest game.

ffvorax

I don't have a PSpro and the PSVR games are blurry for sure, some more some less. Not that on the TV looks perfect, so I would say very similar, but often playing a bit with the position of the PSVR, and after some minutes of playing, I personally notice way less bluriness.

But hey, the blur its there, that's a fact.

One of the best looking is Wayward Sky to me.

Planet

I got Trackmania and Statik, if Mortal Blitz really is of the same level of clarity it immidiately jumps up a few places on my wishlist. Even graphically simple games like Bound become so impressive due to ample supersampling, it really gets the most of the display.

I don't have a PSpro and the PSVR games are blurry for sure, some more some less. Not that on the TV looks perfect, so I would say very similar, but often playing a bit with the position of the PSVR, and after some minutes of playing, I personally notice way less bluriness.

But hey, the blur its there, that's a fact.

One of the best looking is Wayward Sky to me.

A little subjective. Games that have realistic graphic is definitely blurry compared to standard TV, like EVE Valkyrie, Brookhaven, Driveclub or Rigs. Most cartoon graphics game are as sharp as TV. There are some exception, Statik, Trackmania, Mortal Blitz are some of the sharpest game.
Thanks guys, just needed to know this because otherwise I won't be able to relax and play because I'll feel like it's not 'right'. The playroom was definitely very crisp. Surprised me actually, wasn't expecting much but I was showing off the VR and it's an amazing party game.

MattAces

Thanks guys, just needed to know this because otherwise I won't be able to relax and play because I'll feel like it's not 'right'. The playroom was definitely very crisp. Surprised me actually, wasn't expecting much but I was showing off the VR and it's an amazing party game.

I thought Playroom was alright in terms of graphic, definitely not the crispiest and kind of washed out (played it on the standard PS4, didn't play it since Pro). So if you think that looks very crisp, then yea, there are a lot of games that looked even better! You should try the Trackmania demo, very vibrant, crisp and beautiful.

I got Trackmania and Statik, if Mortal Blitz really is of the same level of clarity it immidiately jumps up a few places on my wishlist. Even graphically simple games like Bound become so impressive due to ample supersampling, it really gets the most of the display.

Mortal Blitz is easily among the top. Although the sound design is bad and overall design is generic, everything is very very clean. Those hallways level are very immersive thanks to how clear everything looks.

WITHE1982

Mortal Blitz is easily among the top. Although the sound design is bad and overall design is generic, everything is very very clean. Those hallways level are very immersive thanks to how clear everything looks.

Mortal Blitz looks like a completely mindless, over the top corridor shooter... which I absolutely love about it! Pity I live in the UK so can't actually buy it.

Has anyone heard any rumours of an EU release?

I have a US account but would rather buy on my native one.

Waveset

Even though I cannot say I regret buying this as it was an amazing experience, I am so tempted to sell it because there arent many interesting things on the horizon. Gonna wait til E3 but seriously considering selling while its still worth close to purchase price. Its so true that its a great demo tech but has few lasting experiences as yet, I know its only early in the lifecycle but signs are not great.
I know how you feel mines not been used lately but, Farpoint and Star Trek are round the corner.

Even though I cannot say I regret buying this as it was an amazing experience, I am so tempted to sell it because there arent many interesting things on the horizon. Gonna wait til E3 but seriously considering selling while its still worth close to purchase price. Its so true that its a great demo tech but has few lasting experiences as yet, I know its only early in the lifecycle but signs are not great.

I really don't get this mindset when it comes to early adopters be it PSVR or any new piece of hardware. Releases are never huge in the first year and announcements don't normally come properly until the E3/Gamescom/PGW/TGS which haven't happened yet, even then they aren't the bigger names until year two. The lack of big announcements is nothing new for any hardware at this point in time and in terms of releases regardless of them being to your tastes or not are very healthy (just compare the amount of releases with other console first year releases and you will see it is much better than most). Then there is the fact that Sony are infamously quiet on pretty much everything hardware related.

There seem to be a fair amount of price promotions going on at the moment on PSVR hardware. Some retailers in the US are bundling in free PS Cameras, while over here in the UK there are codes for £50 off to be had. I'm wondering if Sony are testing the waters for an official price drop at E3.

Osahi

Just finished Statik. I think this is the best PSVR game I've played as of yet (though I have still a little Backlog, with stuff like Rez Infinite, Batman VR, Eve Valkyrie, and haven't found a good price on Eagle Flight and Robinson yet)

Just a brilliant, well designed experience that could only work in VR. The puzzels aren't easy, but never to hard and the feeling of making progress trough one is really rewarding. I only had to look up a step of the solution of the final puzzle, and after seeing the solution I still can't figure out the reasoning behind it.
The order in which you need to press the buttons to activate the crane. I *think* it might be the order of the electrical cables going into it. 4 out of the wall, three into the machine, then two to the arm. But I'm not sure

Having enjoyed this one immensly, I figure "I Expect you to Die' would be right up my alley too?

Planet

The order in which you need to press the buttons to activate the crane.
Thought so first myself. But looking closer,
you see the 4 sockets in the wall aren't actually the 4 meant in the puzzle. The real 4 is half hidden behind some cables at the side of the crane itself. Starting number is the one closest to the electric source but on the crane, IIRC the 3.

mckmas8808

With images:

Looking good for PSVR 2

Shoeless

There's always a little chance of blur for PSVR simply because the entire system is not as robust as something like a Vive or Oculus unit running on a beefy rig. The blur also varies from one game to the next. If you want to see super crisp, running on a Pro, try Bound.

It's just something you'll have to live with from game to game. If we ever get to the point where PSVR gets replaced with a 4K display, and the PlayStation it's attached to is sufficiently powerful, then yeah, no more blur. For now though, the more graphically intensive the game is, the higher chance it'll be a bit blurrier as a sacrifice to keep the framerate up.

Planet

That figure was given by the end of February, though. Alongside a promise to improve the availability in April (which they kept). Pretty sure it has grown since.

That figure was given by the end of February, though. Alongside a promise to improve the availability in April (which they kept). Pretty sure it has grown since.

Yeah, I know but we don't have any other numbers given, so that's the best we got.

Edit: Releases for next week May 9th:

Polybius and Moonshot Galaxy

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/05/05/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-592017/

Edit 2: Puzzle Game FORM, Finally revealed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0VyldRP46I

I really don't get this mindset when it comes to early adopters be it PSVR or any new piece of hardware. Releases are never huge in the first year and announcements don't normally come properly until the E3/Gamescom/PGW/TGS which haven't happened yet, even then they aren't the bigger names until year two. The lack of big announcements is nothing new for any hardware at this point in time and in terms of releases regardless of them being to your tastes or not are very healthy (just compare the amount of releases with other console first year releases and you will see it is much better than most). Then there is the fact that Sony are infamously quiet on pretty much everything hardware related.

Selling my PSVR was a tough choice. I lost a good deal of money, frankly, but better to sell now than later for me. I sold for multiple reasons. I loved PSVR. let me put out that out there first. I committed enough to have so many digital purchases that I'll have a good library should I pick it up again down the road.

I had to be realistic about how often I'd get the opportunity to play it. I purchased it because I've been in love with the idea of VR for years, but as a father, it's really tough squirreling away time to disconnect completely from the world for, perhaps, 40 minutes with a game. Resident Evil or Mervils is so engaging that it's easy to lose yourself within the experience. However, I felt like I was in some kind of secretive relationship playing in the late hours of the night, oblivious to anything around me.

Combine that with the fact that I bought it in hopes that it would stimulate social experiences between the wife, nephews, nieces, and other family members - and the end result was underwhelming. Wife couldn't play anything other than headmaster. Everything else made her sick. Relatives and friends? Totally uninterested. Couldn't pay them to engage. When you take the social part out of the gaming experience, it loses a lot of its luster.

The dealbreaker for me was the type of games that Sony seems to get behind. The PSVR gun thing was a very strange and telling choice for me. I want more quirky experiences, or the freedom to have new and interesting experiences with the PS MOVE option. They locked move options into the gun, which really only makes one type of gaming experience. That worried me.

Listening to the lackluster support from indie third parties about PSVR (they'll all make games for Oculus or Vive, but PSVR less so) made me realize that now was the time to sell it. Because the hardware is here, it's only going to be cheaper.

As the platform matures, and the price of the headset goes down (or tech improves) then I'll give it another look. I want to see how the indie devs feel. Why wasn't there a simple travel experience game on the platform? Something that's like a portal to different cities and countries all over the world? Or a social game? Like Ps Home?

There was too much missing and Sony's silence too long. I hope to be wrong in the future, but right now...?

Mendrox

Selling my PSVR was a tough choice. I lost a good deal of money, frankly, but better to sell now than later for me. I sold for multiple reasons. I loved PSVR. let me put out that out there first. I committed enough to have so many digital purchases that I'll have a good library should I pick it up again down the road.

I had to be realistic about how often I'd get the opportunity to play it. I purchased it because I've been in love with the idea of VR for years, but as a father, it's really tough squirreling away time to disconnect completely from the world for, perhaps, 40 minutes with a game. Resident Evil or Mervils is so engaging that it's easy to lose yourself within the experience. However, I felt like I was in some kind of secretive relationship playing in the late hours of the night, oblivious to anything around me.

Combine that with the fact that I bought it in hopes that it would stimulate social experiences between the wife, nephews, nieces, and other family members - and the end result was underwhelming. Wife couldn't play anything other than headmaster. Everything else made her sick. Relatives and friends? Totally uninterested. Couldn't pay them to engage. When you take the social part out of the gaming experience, it loses a lot of its luster.

The dealbreaker for me was the type of games that Sony seems to get behind. The PSVR gun thing was a very strange and telling choice for me. I want more quirky experiences, or the freedom to have new and interesting experiences with the PS MOVE option. They locked move options into the gun, which really only makes one type of gaming experience. That worried me.

Listening to the lackluster support from indie third parties about PSVR (they'll all make games for Oculus or Vive, but PSVR less so) made me realize that now was the time to sell it. Because the hardware is here, it's only going to be cheaper.

As the platform matures, and the price of the headset goes down (or tech improves) then I'll give it another look. I want to see how the indie devs feel. Why wasn't there a simple travel experience game on the platform? Something that's like a portal to different cities and countries all over the world? Or a social game? Like Ps Home?

There was too much missing and Sony's silence too long. I hope to be wrong in the future, but right now...?

You have strange friends and relatives. Have they even tried once? Also the aim controller is a cool Controller option for the future, but not required for anything.

Travel experience? Check out AnyWhere.
Social experiences? Werewolves Within, SportsBar

The thing is, the PSVR is not out that long (not even a damn year, what do people expect?) and it's also weaker than VR PC so games have to be more optimized.

People getting sick happens, but it shouldnt happen with every game. Had she tried relaxing games? Like Puzzle games? They also suck people in.

Also of course you are isolated with VR :p but there are also funny coop games.

Indies on /r/psvr Talk to the community and many of them are still doing development of the games but also ask the community how to integrate things.

You have strange friends and relatives. Have they even tried once? Also the aim controller is a cool Controller option for the future, but not required for anything.

Travel experience? Check out AnyWhere.
Social experiences? Werewolves Within, SportsBar

Nieces and nephews avid gamers. They tried. momentary wow, then went to something more engaging.

Frankly, i hated sports bar myself. Werewolves within was awesome, and was a great primer for what I expected Star Trek to be. What I expected (and one of the videos I saw prior to PSVR's launch) was a social hub. Sony had been developing something internally that housed a hub and a bunch of mini games, and it wasn't Playroom. Do I expect it to come out? Eventually, but the window had passed for me, and I was a day one owner. I would get my social interaction with other PSVR people from either Gaf or /r/psvr, but it started to annoy me that there was no sony polished experience ready to go so that PSVR wouldn't feel so isolating.

People getting sick happens, but it shouldnt happen with every game. Had she tried relaxing games? Like Puzzle games? They also suck people in.

When I tell you that i had a huge library, I mean I had a HUGE library. We tried DriveClub, Mervils, one room in RE...all of it made her sick. Except Headmaster. Playroom just bored her. It got to the point where she didn't want to even put it on her head. It made her sick within MOMENTS. That killed that dead.

Also of course you are isolated with VR :p but there are also funny coop games.
I'm glad that you're finding success with your experiences. By the time I got around to trying Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, it was too late. Nobody was interested. Shame because I had it for PSVR and GEAR VR (before I went back to iPHONE). Other than Werewolves Within, there just wasn't much out there. Perhaps my expectations were way too high because coming from GEAR VR where they have the AMAZING vTIME, I expected to Sony to have something comparable or better. They had NOTHING. I waited and Sony hasn't even announced anything.
Indies on /r/psvr Talk to the community and many of them are still doing development of the games but also ask the community how to integrate things.

Yeah this was the killer for me. I read /r/psvr, gaf, VR Focus, Road To VR, Upload VR daily. I listen to all of the VR podcasts and all of the gaming podcast with VR in them. Maybe the doom and gloom just got to me because the enthusiasm from the general gaming industry was just tepid at best. Listening to indie devs talk about losing money and not wanting to create content due to risk was just killing me. I loved the tech, but the likelihood of seeing cool shit on the platform seemed to be dwindling by the day.

Gaming press like GiantBomb, Glixel, Beastcast, Waypoint...on and on, just ripping into PSVR like Gaf rips into SFV. If the general apathy around the tech was this strong now, it seemed like it wasn't going to improve much.

Sony game lineup was the straw, though. Not that it was bad, but more horror, more gun games, more dpad experiences. There were interesting things mixed in, sure, but I looked at the roadmap for the next year and decided that now might be a good time to reassess and get off the train. Worst case? PSVR does poorly and the headset goes down in price in the used market. I already bought a PRO for PSVR, so the headset down the road will only be cheaper. Best case? PSVR improves, industry support is robust, and it's an easy buy down the road.

Either way? I opted to go with a SWITCH and call it a day.

Top Bottom