• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

I know I'm probably dreaming, but has Sony made mention if their E3 conference will be viewable in VR? Seems like the perfect moment to use that type of functionality... and it would be super cool.
I think the problem is the resolution just isn't there yet. As cool as it would be to feel like you're sitting in a front row seat, everything would be too pixely to look good, especially the presenters.

Kinda OT but Is there a thread going that discusses the big name VR games coming out this year? Not only for PSVR but also Including Vive and Oculous? I can't believe I haven't heard of any major AAA titles for VR yet aside from RE 7. Maybe I'm just out of the loop
Maintaining a thread for "AAA" VR games seems like a tough ask since even the term "AAA" Is fairly subjective.

The Arizona Sunshine news just sold me on the Aim controller. Now Sony needs to release some new Move-type controllers with analog on them. Especially with the latest from Microsoft.

WITHE1982

Strangely mine has been staying white even when I power the console down completely! Not just rest mode.

Mine too. It now seems fine (90% of the time) after disabling most power options when in rest mode.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/standbymode.html

Try disabling all features above and double/triple checking any downloads/updates/trophy synchro that may be running to see if that solves the problem. It took me a while of messing around to get it to switch off correctly.

Shoeless

The Arizona Sunshine news just sold me on the Aim controller. Now Sony needs to release some new Move-type controllers with analog on them. Especially with the latest from Microsoft.

I didn't even know about Arizona Sunshine. My wife is getting me the Aim/Farpoint bundle for my birthday, so I was hoping more light gun games would come down the pipe. This just reassures that the Aim controller probably won't be just a one off.

Now if only Sega and Bamco would start remastering their light gun games for VR...

Is nice to see devs supporting PSVR Aim controller so soon in its life. Can't wait for E3 to see what Sony and other devs have cooking up for PSVR Aim too.

Kinda OT but Is there a thread going that discusses the big name VR games coming out this year? Not only for PSVR but also Including Vive and Oculous? I can't believe I haven't heard of any major AAA titles for VR yet aside from RE 7. Maybe I'm just out of the loop
What do you consider AAA? Until Dawn Rush of Blood? Batman Arkham VR? RIGS?Farpoint? Ace Combat 7? The Persistence? GT Sport? All of those are VR only or have VR modes. The first three are out.

Or are you asking for high-budget "long" titles? (you shouldn't be in a VR HMD for long periods of times, btw)

Is nice to see devs supporting ain controller so soon in its life. Can't wait for E3 to see what Sony and other devs have cooking up for PSVR Aim too.

Can I get a new or remastered Killzone-in-VR- collection please? :D

Shoeless

Can I get a new or remastered Killzone-in-VR- collection please? :D

That reminds me, Killzone 3 actually used that Move "gun case" peripheral, didn't it? I suppose it might be possible for Guerilla to port that game over to PSVR and make it work with the Aim controller if they wanted to.

Although I dunno if I could deal with Rico again...

Hasney

Whenever the box is white, it means something is downloading in the background, after it's done, it will go red itself. At least for my case.

That's how it's supposed to work and how it did on my PS4. My PS4 Pro however never turns off the breakout box.

Plasma

Banned
I'm still not sure playing Arizona Sunshine with the aim controller is a good idea you'd be better off using two move controllers so you can dual wield.

WITHE1982

I'm still not sure playing Arizona Sunshine with the aim controller is a good idea you'd be better off using two move controllers so you can dual wield.

I'll probably be trying both to see which I prefer.

On the subject of Aim controllers Vertigo Games said:
Since the game was initially created with dual-wielding guns in mind, we’ve thoroughly tested ways to get the support for it right. And while using the Aim controller limits you to using a single weapon at a time, it makes up for that by increasing accuracy and control, upping your chances for critical, dismembering hits

I'm actually more excited for this with its Co-Op campaign then I am for Farpoint TBH.

MattAces

I'll probably be trying both to see which I prefer.

I'm actually more excited for this with its Co-Op campaign then I am for Farpoint TBH.

Still really need to see an actual PSVR version running but I'm gonna buy it regardless. Interested to see they mentioned dismemberment though, I went through some videos in their channel and one of them is a i5 vs i7 CPU comparison, only i7 version has dismemberment, moving grasses/leafs, destructible walls and other fancy stuff. I don't mind any of those stuff but I really want dismemberment. Also can't wait to see how they are handling interactivity like opening doors, picking up ammo or pressing car keys.

Rom Extraction is a game where you throw some sort of freeze ball and you shoot it, for aim controller, they included a freeze ball launcher thing to the rifle, so you can use it as an alt fire, pretty cool translation. Dick Wilde is redesigning all of their weapon for Aim controller mode. And Brookhaven seem to attach the flashlight to the rifle.

WITHE1982

can't wait to see how they are handling interactivity like opening doors, picking up ammo or pressing car keys.

Good point. Never thought of that. I'll ask them on Twitter.

The Aim seems to be getting a lot more support then I thought it would. Hope it continues.

edit: In response they said:

Vertigo Games said:
We've made sure to allow players to grab stuff by pointing at it to avoid loss of tracking when items are on the ground for example

So it's looking like just point and click to interact/pickup etc...

Glix

I bought Trackmania on sale when I picked up Polybius earlier in the week.

The VR mode is pretty great! I played through the first "cup" or whatever Its lots of fun and there are some huge jumps and stuff that are real cool in vr. Basically whenever it puts you in that first person mode, something great is about to happen. Game is nothing like Driveclub it feels much more like racing toy cars like Revolt or something.

Polybius is insane. I adore it.

MattAces

Yeah. When playing Brookhaven with Aim Controller all the one-handed weapons are swapped out for long arms with attachments.

Already own Brookhaven, luckily I have another half of the game that I haven't completed, perfect time for me to get back. Weird thing is, PS Blog EU is reporting June 6th (Tuesday) as release while PS Blog US is June 26th (Wednesday? Supposed to be Monday).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
As seen on Reddit: "My dog wanted me to have a little break from vr I guess"

IbSo0xf.jpg

I teared up a little just looking at this and it's not even mines.

Already own Brookhaven, luckily I have another half of the game that I haven't completed, perfect time for me to get back. Weird thing is, PS Blog EU is reporting June 6th (Tuesday) as release while PS Blog US is June 26th (Wednesday? Supposed to be Monday).
Developer directly told me June 6.

Do you move around with the Aim Controller or do you still stand still?

Happy regardless.

Still stationary AFAIK.

joeblow

I bought Trackmania on sale when I picked up Polybius earlier in the week.

The VR mode is pretty great! I played through the first "cup" or whatever Its lots of fun and there are some huge jumps and stuff that are real cool in vr. Basically whenever it puts you in that first person mode, something great is about to happen. Game is nothing like Driveclub it feels much more like racing toy cars like Revolt or something.

Polybius is insane. I adore it.
I bought Trackmania for the VR mode and it remains my favorite PSVR experience. To get the most out of it, strive to get the green "Trackmaster" ranking on all of the tracks. That's when I finally stopped playing VR mode and switched to the main game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I expect this might happen in the future if VR sticks around, but it's probably too much to ask for this E3. I can't imagine the image quality would be great as a live stream.

Bad IQ would be better than not doing it at all imo.

spectator

Aim Controller/Farpoint bundle: $80

Aim Controller: $60

Farpoint on PSN: $50

Yay! I get to pay Sony a $30 premium for the privilege of saving them the production cost of a disc.

Are I Expect You To Die and Statik worth getting?

I found I Expect You to Die to be very charming with lots of great little moments, but it was kind of a one-and-done for me. Though my kid loves revisiting it just to goof around and set things on fire in the main hub/office. I'd recommend getting it on the cheap.

Shoeless

How is Time Machine VR? It's on sale this weekend. And has anyone tried the Passengers VR yet?

I'll find out over the weekend. I had no idea this was the weekend for the Flash Sale, but I've had my eye on that game for a while ('cause VR dinosaurs...) so I finally bit. This and the deluxe edition of X-Com 2 are the big wins for me this weekend.

Any details/impressions on playing Farpoint with a controller instead of The Aim (or whatever) like the space needed and can it be played through to completion sitting down without the experience being lessened considerably?

My main concern is a lack of space and I'm simply not going to move around stuff as a solution.

MattAces

Any details/impressions on playing Farpoint with a controller instead of The Aim (or whatever) like the space needed and can it be played through to completion sitting down without the experience being lessened considerably?

My main concern is a lack of space and I'm simply not going to move around stuff as a solution.

Without Aim and standing up space, you are already losing out the core experience considering the game was made and demoed that way. I believe controller still has the option to use lightbar tracking as the gun but for rotation it will be all thumbstick.

Without Aim and standing up space, you are already losing out the core experience considering the game was made and demoed that way. I believe controller still has the option to use lightbar tracking as the gun but for rotation it will be all thumbstick.

Does the game offer traditional movement and aiming options with the PS4 controller just as RE7 did (not segmented movement but full movement)? If it has these then I'll be more than happy.

MattAces

Does the game offer traditional movement and aiming options with the PS4 controller just as RE7 did (not segmented movement but full movement)? If it has these then I'll be more than happy.

You mean camera rotation? The game offers a lot of camera option including 15 degree turning, smooth camera turning and more. Unfortunately there's zero Farpoint being demoed with a DS4, the DS4 lightbar being used as a gun was also revealed from an interview, other than that you might have to wait for a review.

You mean camera rotation? The game offers a lot of camera option including 15 degree turning, smooth camera turning and more. Unfortunately there's zero Farpoint being demoed with a DS4, the DS4 lightbar being used as a gun was also revealed from an interview, other than that you might have to wait for a review.

I mean movement or whatever it's referred to as in the VR space. I'm guessing/hoping the "smooth camera turning" is similar to the same option that was available in RE7 (the option that felt like you were playing a traditional FPS rather than the segmented/degree movement option). So, I guess the DS4 lightbar/The Aim controller being used/tracked as a gun means head tracking won't play into aiming at all or will it?

Edit: While they want this game to be experienced a certain way, considering they are selling it separately and given that it will be playable with a PS4 controller they should at least give those players a FAQ/details on what you can/can't do or should expect.

So where in the US can we buy the Aim Controller? I see Amazon isn't stocking it.

EDIT: I see GameStop sells them. Controller on its own is $59.99 while the bundle with Farpoint is $79.00, and the Farpoint game itself is $49.99. So to buy the Farpoint game digitally from the PSN and get an Aim Controller it'll cost me $99.99. Guess I'll just be stuck with another disc game.

I also have a fear of the gun tracking making me feel like this guy:

busta.gif

Aim Controller/Farpoint bundle: $80

Aim Controller: $60

Farpoint on PSN: $50

Yay! I get to pay Sony a $30 premium for the privilege of saving them the production cost of a disc.

Uh, no. You get a discount IF you get the bundle. The disc version by itself is also $50. I think what you want, is an $80 option wherein you buy the controller and get a code for the game, yes?

I also have a fear of the gun tracking making me feel like this guy:

Played it at PSX. Gun tracking was not shaking around like in all the old (and some of the new) media shown off. I think the shaking during shooting is dramatized in order to give the player feedback, but before and even after the PSVR patch that improved tracking the gun moved super-smoothly in my virtual hands. Wasn't bobbing around or anything.

Played it at PSX. Gun tracking was not shaking around like in all the old (and some of the new) media shown off. I think the shaking during shooting is dramatized in order to give the player feedback, but before and even after the PSVR patch that improved tracking the gun moved super-smoothly in my virtual hands. Wasn't bobbing around or anything.

Seconded. Gun tracking was rock solid when I played it.

So I have the Farpoint Aim Controller bundle on preorder from Amazon.

The thing is I realized I can only afford one so I have to choose between the Aim Controller bundle or Injustice 2 Ultimate Edition. I have to choose soon cause they both ship today.

What do you guys think? I would play both about the same so I can't just go with the one I would play more.

Uh, no. You get a discount IF you get the bundle. The disc version by itself is also $50. I think what you want, is an $80 option wherein you buy the controller and get a code for the game, yes?

He/she is saying that their only option for the Digital version and The Aim controller is to buy them separately (a total of $110) thus where the extra $30 comes from instead of buying the Bundle with the Physical version of the game for $80.

Top Bottom