• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Polybius is bonkers :lol

Only played 30-odd minutes (and they were odd minutes), it's been a while since I used the headset and I find it hard to be comfortable for long without regular use.

I haven't a clue wtf I'm doing in the game, but I appreciate it's intentions very much. It's like being taken into the Acorn Electron version of Tron. It's brilliantly pure, taking me back to the days when I would be grateful to play any game that could be persuaded to run after 2+ minutes of loading from tape. "Here's a mechanic, play with it. Here, we've extrapolated it into more than one variant, for your enjoyment!" Only that tender notion has somehow been preserved throughout generations of consoles, to arrive running smooth, hard and fabulous on a VR headset in 2017.

Looking forward to more, going to check out Jeff's tutorial vid that someone mentioned ...

Joystick

Sony’s UK Job Listings Indicate Company’s Dedication To PlayStation VR
It's currently got 14 positions that are focused on VR.

I've posted in this and the Sony PS studios about this a couple of times. Back in January there were over 30 VR jobs advertised across their two VR focused studios and a good number continuously since then, like artists, level designers, animators, game directors. Either they are finding it hard to find people, are still growing, or people are leaving (could be normal staff movement). But it does show that they are working on some larger projects though with the hiring level might indicate that the games are still a way off completion.

Also don't this.
wKiOskO.png

Took me a while to catch...lol

CEJames

Is starblood arena online dead?

Check the PS Starblood community. It isn't explicitly dead but just small. Too small for there to be a consistent multiplayer presence at all times of the day. There is a discord(link is in message of the day)/reddit channel with some devs that are pretty communicative. Essentially, they need to add some bots for MP so to help supplement the low player base. Pretty fun game though. Probably shouldn't have been sold at 40 dollars though. $24.99 or $30 dollars might've been better.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn I was hoping to pick up Starblood at some point soon but it sounds like the online is already dead.

These VR MP games seem to die really fast.

VexyWexy

I was thinking that maybe it's not too far fetched that during the traditional e3 showing of the new Call of Duty they drop a big surprise that the campaign is fully playable in VR.

This is probably just super optimistic wishful thinking on my part, but with Jackal Assault last year and Sony still being in bed with Activision for the marketing it could totally be possible...

CEJames

Damn I was hoping to pick up Starblood at some point soon but it sounds like the online is already dead.

Didn't really help that it's exclusive. VR MP games need to be shared with PC as well. At least for now.

But by all means, keep substantially funded & hyped SP games exclusive to make PSVR more appealing.

Planet

If only Sony had made Starblood Arena a Plus IGC title, it would have given it the neccessary boost and it would very probably have benefited sales-wise as well on the long run.

The Online community I hope stays alive for VR is Infinite MiniGolf since it has a course creator and all. I can see Gaf playing for hours in that.

Is starblood arena online dead?

Didn't really help that it's exclusive. VR MP games need to be shared with PC as well. At least for now.

But by all means, keep substantially funded & hyped SP games exclusive to make PSVR more appealing.
Starblood Arena, RIGS, Werewolf Within, Eagle Flight, most multiplayer-focused VR games didn't find success due really small install base.

and honestly... the devs should know better.
you can't make a game that relies on install base as a launch title.
they sent good games to die...

RIGS at least have some single player content, but the other games are terrible on that.

even EVE Valkyrie, that is cross-platform (Eagle Flight and Werewolf are as well), you can't find a match full of players, it is mostly bots.

and for shooter genre, the truth is that the hardcore multiplayer shooter fans didn't jump into VR yet, it's mostly a install base of early adopters, not the competitive kind of players.

hardcore shooter player will come to VR when a big game, like Battlefront, Call Of Duty, brings the option to run more than a mere 20 minutes mission on VR.

that said, I believe Farpoint is doing it right:

- it has real single player content, not bullshit bots matches
- it has a co-op horde mode to extend longevity and make people see each other

these are the first good steps, let's see how it goes from here...

Grinchy

Banned
Starblood Arena, RIGS, Werewolf Within, Eagle Flight, most multiplayer-focused VR games didn't find success due really small install base.

and honestly... the devs should know better.
you can't make a game that relies on install base as a launch title.
they sent good games to die...

RIGS at least have some single player content, but the other games are terrible on that.

even EVE Valkyrie, that is cross-platform (Eagle Flight and Werewolf are as well), you can't find a match full of players, it is mostly bots.

and for shooter genre, the truth is that the hardcore multiplayer shooter fans didn't jump into VR yet, it's mostly a install base of early adopters, not the competitive kind of players.

hardcore shooter player will come to VR when a big game, like Battlefront, Call Of Duty, brings the option to run more than a mere 20 minutes mission on VR.

that said, I believe Farpoint is doing it right:

- it has real single player content, not bullshit bots matches
- it has a co-op horde mode to extend longevity and make people see each other

these are the first good steps, let's see how it goes from here...

I'm really glad I got to play RIGS during the launch when I could actually find games. There were many times when I couldn't, but those full matches were so fun and intense.

MP on VR is a thing that should be massive. It's just so great. Hopefully we can get to the point where it's viable soon.

Shoeless

MP on VR is a thing that should be massive. It's just so great. Hopefully we can get to the point where it's viable soon.

I appreciate this sentiment for other players, but it's definitely not for me. I have no self-esteem issues when it comes to multi-player and can safely admit that I'm terrible at competitive multi-player, so that feature-set has never appealed to me. It's even worse for me in VR, because I view VR like a novel or a movie; its escapism, where I want to go to another place, and do other things. Constantly being killed and respawning every few seconds would kill that experience for me.

But I also know that's just me. Lots of people love competitive multi-player because they're good at it. I'm not, so it's a waste of time for me, personally.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Polybius is bonkers :lol

Only played 30-odd minutes (and they were odd minutes), it's been a while since I used the headset and I find it hard to be comfortable for long without regular use.

I haven't a clue wtf I'm doing in the game, but I appreciate it's intentions very much. It's like being taken into the Acorn Electron version of Tron. It's brilliantly pure, taking me back to the days when I would be grateful to play any game that could be persuaded to run after 2+ minutes of loading from tape. "Here's a mechanic, play with it. Here, we've extrapolated it into more than one variant, for your enjoyment!" Only that tender notion has somehow been preserved throughout generations of consoles, to arrive running smooth, hard and fabulous on a VR headset in 2017.

Looking forward to more, going to check out Jeff's tutorial vid that someone mentioned ...

Can you compare it to Thumper? Is it better, worse, or the same as Thumper?

I am excited to be getting Far Point + Aim controller tomorrow from Amazon. Will be streaming it and also posting impressions here.

I picked up Battlezone over the weekend in the flash sale and liked it WAY more than I was expecting to. Definitely in my Top 5 PSVR titles. Great visuals in the headset (I have Pro) and really intense and fun to play. Wasn't able to play Co-Op yet (Didn't try) but was bummed that there was no competitive multiplayer since it seems perfect for it. Hard not to recommend it for anyone who has PSVR for $24 Flash Sale Price.

Anyone tried Darknet?

Unexpectedly it's probably my most played PSVR game at this point. I like that the individual hacking missions are timed. If you only have 20 minutes to game, you can sit down and have a quick session. Good balance between challenging but also easy to learn and make progress. No motion sickness with this one. You just sit there, look around, point and click on the nodes you want to infect. With each successful mission there's a bit of a story that unfolds and you can upgrade your arsenal with faster acting viruses, or have more resources at your disposal to start future missions.

CEJames

I'd get it for a dollar.

Seems pretty cheap and a lot of focus on random useless stuff.

But I guess being able to draw formation /routes will please some.

Aww come on. It's football in VR, I knew it'd be a little awkward in how they would implement it but I'd still want them to try. At least say you'd support it with about $10. $1 is like saying, why did you do it in the first place. We want them to try out almost all of the genres in VR.

But I'd understand if it was something like what they did with Ghostbusters. Literally $7 for 10 minutes of "gameplay". Horrible.

Kyolux

Aww come on. It's football in VR, I knew it'd be a little awkward in how they would implement it but I'd still want them to try. At least say you'd support it with about $10. $1 is like saying, why did you do it in the first place. We want them to try out almost all of the genres in VR.

But I'd understand if it was something like what they did with Ghostbusters. Literally $7 for 10 minutes of "gameplay". Horrible.

Not a fan of Football though... but I'll meet you halfway.. $5.

samred

StarBlood Arena really really screwed the pooch by splitting its tiny playerbase FOUR WAYS. Its four modes should be shuffled in a catch-all matchmaking slurry to combine the few who log on. Instead it's a wasteland.

Raonak

Banned
I checked out the store after having not played VR since RE7, there's quite a lot of new games, checking some now.

Wow, statik is fucking awesome, puzzle game that makes you feel like a genius.

You basically have your hands plugged into a puzzle box, which moves with the controller. while pressing buttons on the controller makes the box react. it's got little puzzles on it which you have to solve by figuring out what buttons do what actions.

-Sorta feels like portal + keep talking and nobody explodes.

it's got a free demo, so i'd definitely recommend!

Can you compare it to Thumper? Is it better, worse, or the same as Thumper?
I've only played half of Thumper, and even less of Polybius so far. I think the key difference is that between joy (Polybius) and dread (Thumper). The former just wants you to screw around and enjoy yourself, letting you make the experience as hard as you want (eg. by continually speeding up). It's a more open, organic experience which lets you reach for whatever you want to reach for, on each level.

Thumper seems like working your way out of a straitjacket by comparison. Not a bad thing, but pretty different ultimately. There's also the rhythm angle, whereas Polybius doesn't tie you to the soundtrack. Superficial similarities are misleading here.

MattAces

How is dick Wilde ? Craving for my new aim controller games

Just a quick impression.
Just played maybe 20 minutes of Dick Wilde. With Move of course.
Tracking is very solid, sound is really great. One special thing is the simulated recoil, haven't seen this in any other games.
Main attraction is how chaotic it is, every enemies spit and jumps in your face. Reminds me House of the Dead a lot actually. It's a static shooter where you sidestep, duck and some minor movement, didn't have any tracking issue so far.

Edit : Just played another 20+ minutes, tried the bow and other gun. Okay if you are a fan of bow game, this game handles bow pretty good. Arrow emits electricity to chain enemies, every shot is really cool. Really liking this game more and more, my favorite thing is how busy you are at all times, there's no pause time in between of enemies, they just keep coming.
Reason that I was able to post my impression is because the game crashed on wave 11, finally made it that far and it crashed.

spectator

I was thinking that maybe it's not too far fetched that during the traditional e3 showing of the new Call of Duty they drop a big surprise that the campaign is fully playable in VR.

I haven't bought a COD in a decade, but that would be a no-questions-asked instant purchase for me.

raindoc

This is probably just super optimistic wishful thinking on my part, but with Jackal Assault last year and Sony still being in bed with Activision for the marketing it could totally be possible...
with aim-controller support? day -1

Freeman76

Unexpectedly it's probably my most played PSVR game at this point. I like that the individual hacking missions are timed. If you only have 20 minutes to game, you can sit down and have a quick session. Good balance between challenging but also easy to learn and make progress. No motion sickness with this one. You just sit there, look around, point and click on the nodes you want to infect. With each successful mission there's a bit of a story that unfolds and you can upgrade your arsenal with faster acting viruses, or have more resources at your disposal to start future missions.

Yes - great game. It's essentially a puzzle game with some light resource/money management.

Jeff Gertsman at Giant Bomb did a play through a while back (on Vive or Oculus) and it's what sold me on it.

Yeah I bought it and LOVE it, one of my favourites now :)

Been playing Tales From The Borderlands using cinema mode in the headset, the art style works very well with the display but with the release of the aim I can't help but think the main games in the series are almost the perfect game for PSVR and the Aim.

I am excited to be getting Far Point + Aim controller tomorrow from Amazon. Will be streaming it and also posting impressions here.

I picked up Battlezone over the weekend in the flash sale and liked it WAY more than I was expecting to. Definitely in my Top 5 PSVR titles. Great visuals in the headset (I have Pro) and really intense and fun to play. Wasn't able to play Co-Op yet (Didn't try) but was bummed that there was no competitive multiplayer since it seems perfect for it. Hard not to recommend it for anyone who has PSVR for $24 Flash Sale Price.

Battlezone, especially on the Pro, is one of my favorite VR cockpits ever. Just feels so real.

bumpkin

Anyone know how long it takes for the Aim Controller to fully charge?

I really wish the game had came yesterday. I play ice hockey on Tuesday nights, and tonight's the final game of the season so I don't want to skip it.

jrcbandit

Wondering the same myself, lol. I have it charging. Installed Farpoint and downloading Dick Wilde, smart to launch another small game with Aim support at same time. It's even cheaper than the Steam version.

Picked up psvr a few days ago and I'm looking for recommendations.

I have playroom vr, Driveclub vr, resi 7 and have played all the free "experiences."

I'm gonna pick up farpoint tomorrow (ds4 only I'm afraid) but what other games are worth their price?

I was interested in batman vr but was told it's just over an hour long :(

Thanks.

Joystick

From the EU blog:
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/05/16/new-playstation-vr-farpoint-promotion-announced/

Pick up a PS VR headset and get a copy of the new sci-fi shooter along with it for a limited time

The limited time promotions begin from tomorrow, 17th May at select retailers. The limited time offer runs until 23 May.

You’ll receive a physical standard edition copy of Farpoint when purchasing a PS VR headset or PS VR headset + PS camera bundle.

Alternatively, you can purchase a Farpoint and Aim controller bundle for the discounted price of €30 when you buy it with a PS VR headset or PS VR headset and PS camera bundle.

So either the game only w/o Aim controller, or discounted controller + game.

Shoeless

I really wish the game had came yesterday. I play ice hockey on Tuesday nights, and tonight's the final game of the season so I don't want to skip it.

Less than two hours, for sure. I have my PS4 rest mode set to USB recharging for only 2 hours and the Aim controller was completely done before that.

F4r0_Atak

After 2 hours straight of playing Farpoint, I can safely say that VR FPS, when well done, can be really amazing. I was afraid I was going to get motion sickness (I played it while sitting), but nothing happened. Just so you kkow, even thought I love Rigs, I can't play it for more than 30mins without gettting a bit motion sick. For me, what Farpoint managed to achieve should be used as reference for future VR FPS in terms of mobility.

Top Bottom