• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Any final impressions on Farpoint from people who got it early at all?

Really tepid on spending more on PSVR and the bundle is expensive in Canada and am waiting on impressions before pulling the trigger.

So I have the Farpoint Aim Controller bundle on preorder from Amazon.

The thing is I realized I can only afford one so I have to choose between the Aim Controller bundle or Injustice 2 Ultimate Edition. I have to choose soon cause they both ship today.

What do you guys think? I would play both about the same so I can't just go with the one I would play more.

I'd probably get Farpoint first for the better priced bundle (I have it on order too) because if the bundle is limited or gets discontinued, then the game and Aim controller are more expensive separately.

These bigger VR titles need support or Sony might lose interest if they don't sell well. Injustice should do well anyway and can be easily picked up later. That's what I'm doing anyway.

D23

yo battlezone is pretty fkng amazing and it looks amazing on the pro :) pretty good deal for $23! also thank god for the easy mode!!

tr00per

Battlezone for $23? That is tempting...I might ask for farpoint for Father's day...

Also, is Adam Orth from First Contact Entertainment the same Adam Orth that was fired from Microsoft over xbox one twitter comments?

kinggroin

Banned
Battlezone on Vive was not worth the premium. It's a hair sharper than stock PSVR version with better effects. I was hoping to up the resolution drastically but nope should have saved my money and went with the PSVR version.

Planet

Well, the display does have only 25% more pixels, consisting of 16.6% less subpixels than PSVR. There's not much to be gained resolution-wise unless the PSVR is held back by the PS4 itself.

Having bought Battlezone in a recent Amazon sale for €20, I played the full game today for the first time. It does not have the sharpest possible resolution, but it's not bad either, quite acceptable. I guess it's to some smaller percentage supersampled. Do you have all settings maxed out?

Shoeless

How is Time Machine VR? It's on sale this weekend. And has anyone tried the Passengers VR yet?

This may be the first time I write in to the Playstation Network and ask them if it's possible for a refund. I bought Time Machine VR and tried it, and I can't play it due to crashing. I get through the tutorial level fine, load into the FMV intro, and about a minute in, the game crashes to desktop at the exact same spot. I tried deleting and re-installing, I took the "boost" mode off on the settings, but no matter what I do, can't get past the introductory FMV, it always crashes there. Disappointing.

Freeman76

So I have the Farpoint Aim Controller bundle on preorder from Amazon.

The thing is I realized I can only afford one so I have to choose between the Aim Controller bundle or Injustice 2 Ultimate Edition. I have to choose soon cause they both ship today.

What do you guys think? I would play both about the same so I can't just go with the one I would play more.

Go with the bundle imo....Injustice 2 will drop in price very fast I would imagine

D23

Looks like a couple of ppl at Reddit psvr got farpoint copy early. And they are loving it.

Is there going to be an ot for this game?

kinggroin

Banned
Well, the display does have only 25% more pixels, consisting of 16.6% less subpixels than PSVR. There's not much to be gained resolution-wise unless the PSVR is held back by the PS4 itself.

Having bought Battlezone in a recent Amazon sale for €20, I played the full game today for the first time. It does not have the sharpest possible resolution, but it's not bad either, quite acceptable. I guess it's to some smaller percentage supersampled. Do you have all settings maxed out?

Yeah it looks better for sure, and other games that get supersampling, even a touch, look drastically better than PSVR does on PS4. This just happened to be the case where it wasn't. Shaders were crazy shimmery.

AA being turned off helped oddly enough.

Otherwise, yeah max settings.

samred

My Farpoint review is in the can. Celebrating by playing Statik some more. (Nobody read our Statik review last week, but it got a rare Ars Recommended sticker.)

This is a really good point actually, and puts the quality of the panel in different light for me. I definitely want an HMD this holiday, PSVR is looking very likely.

MattAces

My Farpoint review is in the can. Celebrating by playing Statik some more. (Nobody read our Statik review last week, but it got a rare Ars Recommended sticker.)

Wink twice for awesome and once for disappointment, I promise this will be between us!
Anyway Statik is fantastic, the co-op was so wonderfully made, too bad there's only 3 of them.

andylsun

Shopping trip today

sA0JPdKl.jpg

Summer Lesson doesn't say it supports English but is the Asian version, so will see

ryseing

Looks like a couple of ppl at Reddit psvr got farpoint copy early. And they are loving it.

Is there going to be an ot for this game?

I've claimed the OT and am working on it as we speak. I suspect I'll have to put in big bold letters THE SHARPSHOOTER IS NOT COMPATIBLE. Hell, that might even be the title.

MattAces

Ah well, will see how I get on. It's more a case of my wife saying 'what the hell did you buy' plus it's never coming out in the west so having a physical copy is neat.

Do you mind flipping over and take a picture? I can read Chinese and most region 3 games do support both languages.

I've claimed the OT and am working on it as we speak. I suspect I'll have to put in big bold letters THE SHARPSHOOTER IS NOT COMPATIBLE. Hell, that might even be the title.

Or YES, IT SUPPORTS MORE THAN ONE GAME.

ryseing

Or YES, IT SUPPORTS MORE THAN ONE GAME.

The FAQ is going to be a doozy and I suspect most will ignore it anyway. IMO Sony's done a decent enough job with their communications about Farpoint and Aim but the same four questions still get asked in every related thread.

andylsun

Yea, definitely full chinese version. Kind of stupid for them to manufacture different version for the same region.

I'd probably be ok if it has Chinese audio as I'm learning spoken mandarin (slowly), but written I have no chance.

Perhaps they patched in English... like you said makes no sense to have two SKU for the same region. Child of Light for Vita Asian version had an English patch after release.

Vita is restoring to the 32gb, and can't wait to unpack the fighting stick. First real joystick since the PS1

t26

Do you mind flipping over and take a picture? I can read Chinese and most region 3 games do support both languages.

Namco's Chinese games are only in Chinese (Gundam, Super Robot, etc). Sony's first party games have multiple language.

The FAQ is going to be a doozy and I suspect most will ignore it anyway. IMO Sony's done a decent enough job with their communications about Farpoint and Aim but the same four questions still get asked in every related thread.

I wish you luck and will try my best to help you control the misinformed in that thread lol.

MattAces

The same mindset of "I didn't see it, I'm ignoring every news related so it doesn't exist."
I'm still seeing a lot of, Does the old sharpshooter works? or Why would I buy this expensive controller for one game.
It blows my mind.

Quite possibly the most influential vr fps is released in a few days, where is the hype/buzz?

This game needs to be a success so we get sequels and other games of the genre.

Don't let me down Sony/ImpulseGear

Quite possibly the most influential vr fps is released in a few days, where is the hype/buzz?

I don't think they'll be AAA style buzz for vr only games for awhile. Nonetheless Sony have been promoting the game I've seen commercials and ads

Wonder if we're gonna see more on Ace Combat 7 at E3 (especially vis-a-vis the VR content)...here's hoping that it's substantial since Namco was saying that it's not gonna be the full game after all :(

Managed to play "keep talking and nobody explodes" with a group of friends...AMAZING! They all loved it. Definitely one of the best experiences in VR (even though it's not a game that wows you with the VR aspect per se).
Strongly recommend it to everyone who likes puzzles, feels like your very own "escape room"

CEJames

I'm with ya. This game has me extremely nervous. It'd definitely help spell the doom of PSVR if it doesn't do well. It's imperative that it does well.

RoyalFool

Banned
I'm with ya. This game has me extremely nervous. It'd definitely help spell the doom of PSVR if it doesn't do well. It's imperative that it does well.

It's a good game, great even in co-op.

I think at this point we need to stop waiting for a killer app and just accept that there will eventually be a critical mass of 'good' games to warrant the price.

When the killer app does arrive, it probably won't even be a game but rather a gamified social application of sorts.

MattAces

It's a good game, great even in co-op.

I think at this point we need to stop waiting for a killer app and just accept that there will eventually be a critical mass of 'good' games to warrant the price.

When the killer app does arrive, it probably won't even be a game but rather a gamified social application of sorts.

Just felt that the lack of media coverage and youtuber influence are the main aspect of VR not growing rapidly. Channels like Gamespot, IGN rarely covers a VR news and never reviewed any VR games aside from those launch PSVR games. Even those bigger budget games from Rift never got a review/coverage from them. Followers of channels that are focusing VR are also people who already own one.
Not to mention whenever they finally talk about VR, it will get nothing but hate, dislike, VR is a gimmick and hate messages.

Thing is, Farpoint is the epitome of a game absolutely no one would talk about if it wasn't in VR, everything about the game looks generic and comes from an unknown studio (even though Sony is "kind of" supporting it). I still want it to succeed because I want VR to succeed, but honestly, I bought PSVR at launch and I'm not buying Farpoint at launch (only if reviews are amazing, and that seems unlikely, hope I'm proven wrong)

Thing is, Farpoint is the epitome of a game absolutely no one would talk about if it wasn't in VR, everything about the game looks generic and comes from an unknown studio (even though Sony is "kind of" supporting it). I still want it to succeed because I want VR to succeed, but honestly, I bought PSVR at launch and I'm not buying Farpoint at launch (only if reviews are amazing, and that seems unlikely, hope I'm proven wrong)

I think that's a great thing about VR, a mediocre game in 2D comes alive in VR.

cakely

Managed to play "keep talking and nobody explodes" with a group of friends...AMAZING! They all loved it. Definitely one of the best experiences in VR (even though it's not a game that wows you with the VR aspect per se).
Strongly recommend it to everyone who likes puzzles, feels like your very own "escape room"

Yep, terrific party puzzle game. We had a total blast with it.

Farpoint is developed by former Socom Devs.

Top Bottom