• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

tr00per

Got farpoint and a $20 card today. Been eyeing some psvr games. I can't decide whether I want another shooter or something unlike what I have. Which of these would you guys recommend? Multiple opinions appreciated.

Korix (i'm not sold on the presentation but I really want to try tower defense in vr)

Pixel gear (heard it has the best shooting feel, is that still true?)

Lethal vr (gives me a point blank vibe)

Harmonix music vr (LOVE the easel mode)

Batman arkham vr (the highest recommended game I don't yet have)

Psychonauts Rhombus of ruin (enjoyed the original)

Any other particular recommendation under $20?

Fwiw, I have two moves and plenty of room. No serious tracking issues so far. I have experienced sickness with driveclub and here they lie. My favorite experiences so far have been Bound, HMVR easel mode, and Wayward sky.

Any news on Superhot coming to PSVR ? I know the devs teased it ages ago but not heard anything else on it since then, I guess it depends on how long the Oculus exclusive deal is for.

valeu

Got farpoint and a $20 card today. Been eyeing some psvr games. I can't decide whether I want another shooter or something unlike what I have. Which of these would you guys recommend? Multiple opinions appreciated.

Korix (i'm not sold on the presentation but I really want to try tower defense in vr)

Fwiw, I have two moves and plenty of room. No serious tracking issues so far. I have experienced sickness with driveclub and here they lie. My favorite experiences so far have been Bound, HMVR easel mode, and Wayward sky.

Dick Wilde

Any news on Superhot coming to PSVR ? I know the devs teased it ages ago but not heard anything else on it since then, I guess it depends on how long the Oculus exclusive deal is for.

It released on Feb 26, 2016. One year has already passed which means we are likely looking at a 24 months exclusive period, so an E3 announcement for Feb 2018 seems possible.

Birbo

Batman is still my favorite VR experience. I'm biased because I'm a big fan, but it's so immersive, albeit fairly short.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm absolutely loving Farpoint, so glad that I got the bundle. I've said it in the OT, but this game has usurped RE7 as my favorite PSVR game. It looks great even on an OG PS4, does everything competently, and the Aim Controller is amazing.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! RE7 is my favorite VR game too, so I really want to believe.

how do 3D movies look using psvr?

i tried watching 3D movies with the Samsung Gear VR headset and was unimpressed. Is the resolution here better?

Have a PS4 Pro if that makes any difference.

Kyolux

how do 3D movies look using psvr?

i tried watching 3D movies with the Samsung Gear VR headset and was unimpressed. Is the resolution here better?

Have a PS4 Pro if that makes any difference.

I tried Civil War and thought it looked great.

Moana was pretty good too. Apparently it's a good idea to set it to medium screen size though.

Also, it's sometimes fun to watch things with a big screen in vr, but it can get a bit annoying having to wear the headset all the way through.

Thanks. Trying to find all the value proposition i need to justify a psvr purchase :) Last year, REZ alone was enough for me but my hype dwindled into the new year.

I would recommend Dick Wilde or Pixel Gear.

If youve had VR for a while now, I would avoid Batman personally. I know it gets raved about and I bought and played it but Its a vr showcase game that you don't really do much in and its very short. If youre already over that initial VR "Wow!" factor then I'd spend the money on something that's more of a game (Id consider Batman more of an "experience") and something you'll be able to sink some time in to. Just my opinion though.

Shoeless

If youve had VR for a while now, I would avoid Batman personally. I know it gets raved about and I bought and played it but Its a vr showcase game that you don't really do much in and its very short. If youre already over that initial VR "Wow!" factor then I'd spend the money on something that's more of a game (Id consider Batman more of an "experience") and something you'll be able to sink some time in to. Just my opinion though.

I can agree with the Batman assessment. If you're an old hand at VR, then it's really more a "proof of concept" that adventure games work very well in VR. But if you're new to VR, that's definitely one of those experiences that you trot out to impress people. I actually find Rhombus of Ruin, on the whole. to be a more complete adventure game package, but Batman is still great to show off to others if you're playing the role of VR evangelist to visitors to your home.

Codiox

Jesus Christ, I just tried the bound demo because why not. Never checked this game out before.

Are you fucking kidding me? That game is so crystal clear and has a fucking journey like atmosphere. Why did nobody told me about it? I need to buy this ASAP!

How long is the game?

Shoeless

Jesus Christ, I just tried the bound demo because why not. Never checked this game out before.

Are you fucking kidding me? That game is so crystal clear and has a fucking journey like atmosphere. Why did nobody told me about it? I need to buy this ASAP!

How long is the game?

Not that long. Probably looking at 4-6 hours, but it's definitely a great PSVR showcase for platformers, and if you have a Pro, yeah, there's probably no better, sharper looking game on PSVR right now than Bound.

Codiox

Not that long. Probably looking at 4-6 hours, but it's definitely a great PSVR showcase for platformers, and if you have a Pro, yeah, there's probably no better, sharper looking game on PSVR right now than Bound.

4-6 hours? That's quite long for a VR game. I'm still amazed how sharp and clear the game was. Played the demo on my pro. I have never seen something like this. Got the psvr since release but right now I'm having like a second VR revival haha

Shoeless

4-6 hours? That's quite long for a VR game. I'm still amazed how sharp and clear the game was. Played the demo on my pro. I have never seen something like this. Got the psvr since release but right now I'm having like a second VR revival haha

Well, to be fair, it didn't start as a VR game, it was originally an arty, indie platformer that was released last year as part of Sony's summer indie thing. VR got patched in later, giving the game a new lease on life.

Freeman76

How long is the game?

I really wanted to grab that but the camera did my head in.

Rubik8

Well, to be fair, it didn't start as a VR game, it was originally an arty, indie platformer that was released last year as part of Sony's summer indie thing. VR got patched in later, giving the game a new lease on life.

Judged as a traditional game, Bound is very lackluster. As a VR experience, it's amazing and I can highly recommend it when it's on sale for $10, like when I got it.

I was surprised to try the Bound demo a few days ago and find that it was also compatible with your 3D television and 3D glasses. Was awesome. I got paid the very next day after it went off sale :(

Shoeless

Judged as a traditional game, Bound is very lackluster. As a VR experience, it's amazing and I can highly recommend it when it's on sale for $10, like when I got it.

I'm actually waiting for VR Worlds to either go on sale or come up as a freebie on PS+. I still haven't messed with it, since I got the bundle with only the headset. In Canada it sells for $50, which I can't justify for a bunch of separate, short demos.

hank_tree

4-6 hours is a bonkers time estimate. It's closer to 2.

tr00per

Dick Wilde

Batman is still my favorite VR experience. I'm biased because I'm a big fan, but it's so immersive, albeit fairly short.

Batman is essential, awesome for the price and the riddler trophies are pretty interesting for the most part too

Thanks for the responses. I might get batman on disc down the line. I think I'll get another shooter for now

And yes bound is a must have (or at least a must try). I disagree that it's not evolutionary in 2D but the VR is definitely better

MattAces

Yeah, wrong link. Sony put up an announce trailer today:

https://youtu.be/3Ttg2i2hbSA

I came across it about 6 months ago when searching for upcoming PS VR titles but there was no confirmation back then. I'm not yet sold but it might be ok.

Launch date: June 6

Just want to point something out, in the Vive trailer, it clearly shows two hands, holding bike and throwing newspaper with motion controllers. In the PSVR version, no hands are visible, it looks like he is looking while pressing one button on DS4 to shoot the newspaper (similar to how nba 2k was handled). Until proven otherwise, do not support shitty devs like these.

Edit : Did a little digging, https://twitter.com/MeerkatGaming/status/865303737321082880. Confirmed no support of motion controls, so avoid this title at all cost for a shitty port.

Thanks for the responses. I might get batman on disc down the line. I think I'll get another shooter for now

And yes bound is a must have (or at least a must try). I disagree that it's not evolutionary in 2D but the VR is definitely better

Just want to chime in for recommending Dick Wilde. It might be the ultimate arcade shooter in PSVR now. You want to experience dodging bullets, shield + gun like VR Invaders? Dick Wilde has that. You want a bow and arrow like Ancient Amulator/Ace Banana but much better? Dick Wilde has that. Double SMG, harpoon, burst rifle, they have every major category of guns and most importantly, they all felt very distinct. Also sound and music is satisfying and intense.

Shoeless

This was very cool.

I too loved Wayward Sky, still one of my favs so far.

Wayward Sky actually did some pretty cool things design-wise, but I love Tim Schafer's writing, and being "in" the world of Psychonauts in that way was a treat. Really looking forward to a "full-sized" adventure game along the lengths of old Lucas Arts stuff if possible. The Myst-like game Obduction is on my list.

bumpkin

This was very cool.

I too loved Wayward Sky, still one of my favs so far.
Wayward Sky was super charming and fun. My only complaint was that the puzzles were all really simplistic. Aside from that though, it looked and played great. Definitely a worthwhile purchase.

Burglekutt

Wayward Sky is possibly the most underrated PSVR game out there. It definitely has flaws(I dont know why they put so many duplicate wind chime puzzles in the game), but its like a diorama that comes to life. A fun. casual game.

Freeman76

Just want to point something out, in the Vive trailer, it clearly shows two hands, holding bike and throwing newspaper with motion controllers. In the PSVR version, no hands are visible, it looks like he is looking while pressing one button on DS4 to shoot the newspaper (similar to how nba 2k was handled). Until proven otherwise, do not support shitty devs like these.

Edit : Did a little digging, https://twitter.com/MeerkatGaming/status/865303737321082880. Confirmed no support of motion controls, so avoid this title at all cost for a shitty port.

I dont own move controllers so this is good news to me.

Can you buy the aim controller separately in the UK? I have gone entirely digital this gen so don't really want the bundle if it is a disc version of the game, yes I know it's a good deal and I am crazy for wasting extra money.

Top Bottom