• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

So yeah guys, I'm at my local BestBuy and I currently see more than 20 PSVR Aim Controllers with Farpoint bundles ($79.99), if any of you guys are having a hard time getting them, I could probably buy them and ship em out to you guys via USPS Priority Mail. With tax and shipping I can ship em out at my non scalper price of $100. If anyone is interested you can PM me. I also have PSVR headsets and bundles if people can't find them too. Like I said, here people don't seem that interested in VR.

5vgJenK.jpg

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Now, I'm what the man in the street might call fairly "hard-boiled" (Nerd points if you get that), but I just very nearly ripped off my headset due to the intensity of RE7. I won't say "fear" because I always knew I could take off my helmet and be fine, but it produced such a feeling of anxiety that I almost couldn't take it.

The fight with Marguerite, all the way through the child's bedroom scenario until you get back to the trailer. The noises in the bedroom, everything going dark, the whisper in your ear, the writing appearing on the walls and that damnable music droning during that scene. I felt like my senses were overloaded.

As I've noted before, I've always thought those videos of people freaking out while playing games were patently ridiculous. Nobody could be such a wuss in real life. It's just a game, right? It would be like getting scared at a movie. You know nothing can truly happen. I mean, certainly, the rare films have made me feel such pressure and discomfort that it's made me want to take a short break for a bit before continuing but nothing like these people on Youtube that act like they're about to lose their shit or are even, in fact, in the midst of losing their shit. In some ways, I was envious because a lifetime of horror media must have made me calloused.

I'm happy to report that VR has given me the jump scares and chills that I'd always been missing out on. RE has made me jump a handful of times, and the scene I mentioned earlier was so chilling I very nearly forgot I was playing a game at all.

Basically, I'm just thrilled that, as an ol' horror nerd, I can finally find something that REALLY gets to me deep in my core. Not something that I love on a conceptual or thematic level, but can actually give me experiences that truly frighten me. It's a damned great turn of events for me, and this sort of thing fully justifies and damned $900 I've thrown at Sony on Hardware alone the past 2 months. I never thought I'd get here, guys, but here I am about to lose my shit, spooked silly.

Now, I'm what the man in the street might call fairly "hard-boiled" (Nerd points if you get that), but I just very nearly ripped off my headset due to the intensity of RE7. I won't say "fear" because I always knew I could take off my helmet and be fine, but it produced such a feeling of anxiety that I almost couldn't take it.

The fight with Marguerite, all the way through the child's bedroom scenario until you get back to the trailer. The noises in the bedroom, everything going dark, the whisper in your ear, the writing appearing on the walls and that damnable music droning during that scene. I felt like my senses were overloaded.

As I've noted before, I've always thought those videos of people freaking out while playing games were patently ridiculous. Nobody could be such a wuss in real life. It's just a game, right? It would be like getting scared at a movie. You know nothing can truly happen. I mean, certainly, the rare films have made me feel such pressure and discomfort that it's made me want to take a short break for a bit before continuing but nothing like these people on Youtube that act like they're about to lose their shit or are even, in fact, in the midst of losing their shit. In some ways, I was envious because a lifetime of horror media must have made me calloused.

I'm happy to report that VR has given me the jump scares and chills that I'd always been missing out on. RE has made me jump a handful of times, and the scene I mentioned earlier was so chilling I very nearly forgot I was playing a game at all.

Basically, I'm just thrilled that, as an ol' horror nerd, I can finally find something that REALLY gets to me deep in my core. Not something that I love on a conceptual or thematic level, but can actually give me experiences that truly frighten me. It's a damned great turn of events for me, and this sort of thing fully justifies and damned $900 I've thrown at Sony on Hardware alone the past 2 months. I never thought I'd get here, guys, but here I am about to lose my shit, spooked silly.

Welcome good sir, What you experienced is what we all did playing R7 in VR, A truly memorable immersive experience like no other, The sense of presence, The atmosphere, The music/noises all create a real horror experience that you are inside of.

I was watching someone play it on twitch earlier and he played without VR, It just doesn't give the same immersion what we get in VR.

Iv'e said myself R7 in VR has justified my purchase alone of PSVR.

The only game that gives the same immersion is Farpoint.

Horseticuffs

Welcome good sir, What you experienced is what we all did playing R7 in VR, A truly memorable immersive experience like no other, The sense of presence, The atmosphere, The music/noises all create a real horror experience that you are inside of.

I was watching someone play it on twitch earlier and he played without VR, It just doesn't give the same immersion what we get in VR.

Iv'e said myself R7 in VR has justified my purchase alone of PSVR.

The only game that gives the same immersion is Farpoint.

Thanks! I really thought about how if I were in that situation in real life I'd probably turn the gun on myself rather than continue on in that moment. I just put my back to a corner with my gun drawn, waiting for the moment to end somehow, for something to jump out at me as a final crescendo, but it just kept up the pressure until I forced myself to move on. It was a masterwork of fright the likes of which I haven't experienced before today.

Farpoint is DEFINITELY on my list but I have to get the Aim with it. I really want that gun, guys. Arizona Sunshine looks pretty neat, and I know it'll be better with a gun in my hands. I keep hoping I stumble on it in my area. Fingers crossed.

Awesome post ---- what were your in-game VR settings? Were you standing up or sitting while playing for that experience? What headphones did you use?

I've had the game & PSVR for about 3 months now and have replayed the game up until
when you find your GF and she attacks you
about 5 times now --- just can't bring myself to continue any further. It is that immersive.

On another note, did anyone experience a crazy immersive sensation in Batman Arkham VR when
you play the piano and go down the elevator into the bat cave
? The sensation of going down the elevator was one of the most immersive sensations that I've had in VR so far ---- it really felt like my body was going down.

Horseticuffs

Awesome post ---- what were your in-game VR settings? Were you standing up or sitting while playing for that experience? What headphones did you use?

I've had the game & PSVR for about 3 months now and have replayed the game up until
about 5 times now --- just can't bring myself to continue any further. It is that immersive.

Surprisingly I don't have any motion sickness, thankfully. I was skeptical that I might, as I can't "See" 3d movies or the 3ds effect. My kids will be playing games with notably good 3d effects and they'll act like the 3ds just stole fire from the gods or something, and it just looks like a slightly blurrier image to me. I was concerned there was some sort of issue with my normally fine eyes and the way they processed data that would screw up VR for me somehow, but no. I'm just straight up sitting like 4 feet from my TV in an office chair with the earbuds that came with the headset. I've got smooth turning turned on so it controls just as it should.

I actually tried it earlier tonight for the first time with the "degreed" turning or whatever you call it, and I'm so glad I don't need to experience this that way. I felt so bad for people who have to play that way. It was so immersion-ruining.

So far the only thing I've stood for is Job Simulator, which I bought despite my fears that it might be a bit light on content for the $23 I paid for it. My kids wanted it so bad, and it's a lot of fun so what the heck?

I should maybe try standing in VR a bit more just for fun.

On another note, did anyone experience a crazy immersive sensation in Batman Arkham VR when
you play the piano and go down the elevator into the bat cave
? The sensation of going down the elevator was one of the most immersive sensations that I've had in VR so far ---- it really felt like my body was going down.

Yeah that moment in Batman is another example of feeling like you are there, A true test of the stomach going down that elevator lol

Rush of blood also makes you feel like you are in a rollercoaster as you slowloy make way up a hill. You should try and carry on with R7, It gets really intense and there's nothing like it.

Looking forward to E3 now to see what is on the horizon.

nampad

So yeah guys, I'm at my local BestBuy and I currently see more than 20 PSVR Aim Controllers with Farpoint bundles ($79.99), if any of you guys are having a hard time getting them, I could probably buy them and ship em out to you guys via USPS Priority Mail. With tax and shipping I can ship em out at my non scalper price of $100. If anyone is interested you can PM me. I also have PSVR headsets and bundles if people can't find them too. Like I said, here people don't seem that interested in VR.

Meanwhile the game is sold out at amazon.de and my local Gamestop told me they are out and don't even know when they will be able to restock the game.

Sony really dropped the ball with the game, at least over here in Germany. Heck, they didn't even release the aim controller standalone. I would have jumped in but not like this.

Dash_

Games are way too expensive in the UK. Both BattleZone and Rigs should be £25-30 tops.

The magic of the first few months of VR is beginning to wear a little away for me. Hopefully E3 doesn't prove disappointing on that front, but I'm not holding my breath.

I was unexpectedly blown away by the Ancient Amuletor demo. Being able to warp around the map to plan my attacks added a lot to the experience. Using the bow and arrow felt so real to me I caught myself tilting my head and closing one eye as I aimed. Lol!

ChouGoku

Y'all ready for e3 to bring the goods

My hype is on 1000 right now I am hoping but somewhat expecting some good shit at E3. I want so bad a release date for Megaton Rainfall. I'm wanting a Elite: Dangerous vr confirmation. A possible Skyrim VR based on this "possible leak" by Bethesda or at least a Fallout 4 VR confirmation. Apparently SSM has something in the works as well.
I am expecting most of my hopes to be crushed

Just impulse bought a PS VR World's bundle from that $412 Rakuten deal with $62 in reward points. Essentially making the bundle $350.

What have I done?

On the plus side, I also found out that I can use it on my PC to play VR games and content with a third party app, so that's neat.

Just impulse bought a PS VR World's bundle from that $412 Rakuten deal with $62 in reward points. Essentially making the bundle $350.

What have I done?

On the plus side, I also found out that I can use it on my PC to play VR games and content with a third party app, so that's neat.

what, PSVR works on PC? no way?

i'm really considering getting PSVR as a b-day present to myself in a couple weeks, but i still have some questions..

right now i'm wondering about Youtube content, how do the 360 videos look on PSVR using PS4s Youtube app? i see there's all kinds of stuff like animal videos and a tour of Colbert's studio heh, etc etc. how is the video quality when it's right in your face? i honestly can't imagine what it looks like.

what, PSVR works on PC? no way?

i'm really considering getting PSVR as a b-day present to myself in a couple weeks, but i still have some questions..

right now i'm wondering about Youtube content, how do the 360 videos look on PSVR using PS4s Youtube app? i see there's all kinds of stuff like animal videos and a tour of Colbert's studio heh, etc etc. how is the video quality when it's right in your face? i honestly can't imagine what it looks like.

It's called Trinus PSVR. From the little bit of reading I've done, it basically tricks your headset into thinking it's plugged into a PS4, this allowing you to use VR mode when plugged into a PC instead of just the usual Cinema mode.

NewDust

How tight should the headset fit? I always have the feeling that bringing the lenses closer is giving me a better view, to the point where the lenses touch my eyeballs and I get wet spots on them. Surely that shouldn't be normal... Or should I go to an optician?

DjRalford

It's called Trinus PSVR. From the little bit of reading I've done, it basically tricks your headset into thinking it's plugged into a PS4, this allowing you to use VR mode when plugged into a PC instead of just the usual Cinema mode.

Yeah, I use it for playing ED in VR on my PC, works pretty good too.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
How tight should the headset fit? I always have the feeling that bringing the lenses closer is giving me a better view, to the point where the lenses touch my eyeballs and I get wet spots on them. Surely that shouldn't be normal... Or should I go to an optician?

You probably need glasses or contact lenses.

bumpkin

Partially, but more important, clarity... But I have fiddling around with the eye to eye distance, and now it looks good at a far wider range.
The picture is *never* 100% clear all over. You know you have it right when whatever you look at straight-on is largely clear. Everything in your peripheral - not straight ahead - is going to be fuzzy unless you move your head to look at them head-on. The screens on the PSVR give a "screen door effect", so nothing is ever crystal clear/crisp.

I basically put the headset on, bring the visor in until the rubber parts touch my cheeks, and then adjust it up or down on my forehead until dead-ahead is as focused as it's going to get. It shouldn't need to be right up on your eyeballs. I know mine is on too tight/close when my eyelashes brush the lenses.

FWIW, I have 20/20 vision, no glasses or contacts.

Yeah, I am excited for Doom VR. It is too bad that Fallout on PSVR is most likely not happening.

Yeah Doom ran pretty much fixed 60fps while Fallout struggled to hold 30fps a lot of the time. It's a shame but no wonder we won't be seeing Fallout on PSVR. Still Doom should be brilliant :)

NewDust

The picture is *never* 100% clear all over. You know you have it right when whatever you look at straight-on is largely clear. Everything in your peripheral - not straight ahead - is going to be fuzzy unless you move your head to look at them head-on. The screens on the PSVR give a "screen door effect", so nothing is ever crystal clear/crisp.

I know al this stuff about the foveated rendering /lens distortion and screen door, I was actually suprised about how little screen door there was. But it was more like the pixels for the left and right eye didn't align up properly, and my brain obviously couldn't handle that. It was almost as if why viewing cross-eyed, and my brain did a very bad job at 'interlacing'. I know this doesn't actually happen, but it would be the best way to describe the visual experience.

Even though I have only slightly adjusted the eye to eye distance, it's so much better. No matter how far eye have the goggles now, the image is correct.

k1t4j

The game can be played with a DS4 controller but not with the moves.

It is highly recommended to use Aim controller but if you don't have it and want to try the game out you can use a DS4.

Yes, the aim controller is dope. With DS4, you have to aim using the gyroscope (i.e. physically move it around to move your gun.) Moves aren't supported cause they don't have analog sticks.

Oh and I hope you like spiders bro.

I tried playing with the controller and I find it super awkward, seeing that this game was given to me and I can't find the special controller to be on sale separately I will just put in on hold until I can buy it. Looked super good for a VR game and it has me really interested :)

So I have a PS4 Pro along with a 4k HDR TV. What kind of switch would I need to buy so that I can still get the HDR signal to my TV? (Since the VR box doesn't transmit the HDR signal for some crazy reason)

MattAces

"Thank you for your patience while waiting for The Brookhaven Experiment’s Sony AIM Controller update. We have an update for you today. The update should tentatively go live on next Tuesday, June 20th based on Sony’s feedback. We’re so sorry that the delay took longer than we had hoped and we look forward to playing with you next week!"

Phosphor Games

Grinchy

Banned
Doom VFR is teleportation only, right? I don't know how teleportation would work with the AIM controller.

edit- nope, according to the general VR thread,Doom has more locomotion options. Put in AIM support, bastards!

I'm not thrilled about the teleportation in Doom, but I'll give it a chance. So long as the tracking and shooting are on point, it could still be good. And maybe they'll add in some more movement options before release.

D23

Sony needs to announce some heavy hitters ps vr games today!!

give me time crisis, house of the dead, socom vr with aim controller, spyro/crash vr, anythingg!!!

I neeeeed it!

The Dude

Well I just bought my Sony vr the other night and I'm hooked, really hoping for some big time announcements tonight. I was not a believer in vr until I finally tried it and it's pretty awesome.

Top Bottom