• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Should have been this price at launch... prob would have a much larger install base and better software support.

VR still WAY too expensive for the quality of graphics/mechanics we are currently seeing.
Genuine question, have you actually tried PSVR2? Because I thought the unit was worth it when I blew near £600 on it, for £350 it's a goddamn steal at that price

Lunarorbit

its solid 7/10 title for me but nothing close to best ones like gt7, re8, re4
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Thanks!

It's an extra $50 so I'll see if it goes on sale. Really excited to try the 3 you listed. I haven't played a gt since ps1 so this is long overdue.

Gonna finish my order at bestbuy

Edit: $435.51 with the Sony charging dock for the hell of it. Gets here tomorrow

Last edited:

Resenge

Is it? It sounds like a temporary sale to me, unless I read it wrong.
I dont see sale anywhere on any of the sites, all I see are the words price drop.

I suppose it could be a sale, I assumed it was a perm drop.

Last edited:
Should have been this price at launch... prob would have a much larger install base and better software support.

VR still WAY too expensive for the quality of graphics/mechanics we are currently seeing.
This is a puzzling opinion. Can you explain why you think it’s too expensive vs the quality of graphics and mechanics?

I can say from my point of view the experience is top notch for VR and significantly better than flat screen gaming.

Minsc

Gold Member
Fuck it! This is the price drop I was waiting for. 1st time trying vr.

Should I get the horizon bundle or is it just meh? I'm a horizon fan btw

If it's your first time trying VR, that's the best time to get it. It's a visual show piece while your expectations are low, and a lot of the VR tropes like climbing will be new to you, so you'll likely rate it a bit higher.

It has an amazing disney-ridesque experience as you start the game, that's pretty sweet. If you're a big Horizon fan, it'll be worth it IMO. Plus meeting the Horizon characters in VR is pretty sweet.

It's definitely no RE8 or RE4 though, but it's a more VR-newbie friendly experience, and lacks some of the horror you may or may not find yourself enjoying from the RE games. But definitely I'd recommend finding a way to experience them in VR, it's pretty amazing.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Tbf I really enjoyed the shit out of Horizon, the visuals where absolutely top notch and some of the scenes where just jaw droppingly gorgeous, the mechanics where great and it doesn't overstay it's welcome with enough diversity to keep you engaged all the way through to the end, top game and I use the theme park ride section to show off VR to visitors and it always blows them away...

but man those Resident Evil games are something else altogether, I couldn't even imagine playing a resident evil game any other way once you've experienced it in VR, I'd love Capcom to port 7 and hopefully they'll do 9 in VR

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Thanks!

It's an extra $50 so I'll see if it goes on sale. Really excited to try the 3 you listed. I haven't played a gt since ps1 so this is long overdue.

Gonna finish my order at bestbuy

Edit: $435.51 with the Sony charging dock for the hell of it. Gets here tomorrow
Just some real low-key VR advice. If you're new, I highly recommend setting up a fan in front of your play area. And my #1 piece of advice: just stop playing if your face feels flush. Don't try and push through until you feel actually gross. Just take a break. Imo this is the best and fastest method to overcome any initial VR discomfort. If you feel actually gross, recovery is much longer. If in the beginning you take frequent breaks (before you're feeling gross) you'll build up a tolerance much faster. Some people don't even get sick, and you might be one of them. But if not... food for thought. Good luck.

VR is honestly really cool.

Lunarorbit

If it's your first time trying VR, that's the best time to get it. It's a visual show piece while your expectations are low, and a lot of the VR tropes like climbing will be new to you, so you'll likely rate it a bit higher.

It has an amazing disney-ridesque experience as you start the game, that's pretty sweet. If you're a big Horizon fan, it'll be worth it IMO. Plus meeting the Horizon characters in VR is pretty sweet.

It's definitely no RE8 or RE4 though, but it's a more VR-newbie friendly experience, and lacks some of the horror you may or may not find yourself enjoying from the RE games. But definitely I'd recommend finding a way to experience them in VR, it's pretty amazing.
I heard the demo is a good slice of the game so I'll get that tomorrow.
I've thought moss is super cute and heard that's a good starter.
Tbf I really enjoyed the shit out of Horizon, the visuals where absolutely top notch and some of the scenes where just jaw droppingly gorgeous, the mechanics where great and it doesn't overstay it's welcome with enough diversity to keep you engaged all the way through to the end, top game and I use the theme park ride section to show off VR to visitors and it always blows them away...

but man those Resident Evil games are something else altogether, I couldn't even imagine playing a resident evil game any other way once you've experienced it in VR, I'd love Capcom to port 7 and hopefully they'll do 9 in VR
It's a good thing I've played through these REs cause if I saw the baby scene in vr for the 1st time I'd wet myself
Just some real low-key VR advice. If you're new, I highly recommend setting up a fan in front of your play area. And my #1 piece of advice: just stop playing if your face feels flush. Don't try and push through until you feel actually gross. Just take a break. Imo this is the best and fastest method to overcome any initial VR discomfort. If you feel actually gross, recovery is much longer. If in the beginning you take frequent breaks (before you're feeling gross) you'll build up a tolerance much faster. Some people don't even get sick, and you might be one of them. But if not... food for thought. Good luck.

VR is honestly really cool.
Great advice. I've seen the fan advice. I think I'm just gonna wear my contacts and take breaks often. Plus some eye drops

SilentUser

It's a good thing I've played through these REs cause if I saw the baby scene in vr for the 1st time I'd wet myself

Great advice. I've seen the fan advice. I think I'm just gonna wear my contacts and take breaks often. Plus some eye drops
Moss is a great way to get acquainted with VR! Also, charming title and a fantastic game, specially the second title.

Also recomend Demeo for newcomers or long time VR fans, it is a brilliant and unusual game. VR makes it even cooler!

Some extra games I can recomend for new VR players: Red Matter 2, Switchback, Toy Trains, Towers & Powers, Puzzling Places, Ghost Signal. Some of them are on sale and have a demo, worth checking it!

Later on: Resi 8 and 4 Remake, Horizon Call of the Mountain, Synapse, Propagation Paradise Hotel, The Light Brigade, No Man's Sky and After the Fall (if you have friends to play with - it is crossplay).

Remember that VR is rough at first. If you don't get sick you'll still feel "off". Remember to play in short bursts, eventually you'll get your sea legs and then you won't be bothered at all.

Patience is key in VR, lots of jank per game and completely different from flat. Hope you enjoy it!

whatup

Had been toying with buying a Quest 3, but with the price drop and forthcoming PC converter this was too good to pass up. With trade-ins, I was able to pick up the PSVR2 for about $100.

I had PSVR but found the content mostly lacking. I also struggle with motion sickness after awhile. What should I buy?

Last edited:
Had been toying with buying a Quest 3, but with the price drop and forthcoming PC converter this was too good to pass up. With trade-ins, I was able to pick up the PSVR2 for about $100.

I had PSVR but found the content mostly lacking. I also struggle with motion sickness after awhile. What should I buy?
If you have the middle tier of PS+, get the free games and enjoy those for a bit so you can gain your sea legs.

There's honestly no point in buying games right now if PSVR made you sick. All the games you want to play will be too overwhelming for you right now.

If you don't have access to those free games. I recommend Runner. It's cheap, you can sit, has good visuals and lots of content. It's the motorcycle anime shooter. Dope game and will give you a good VR experience until you're ready for something more intense. Red Matter 2 is good for adapting to full body smooth locomotion. Minimal action, mostly puzzles but great game. Don't worry about playing Red Matter 1 first and certainly do not buy it first, RM2 is such a better VR experience.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

Fuck it! This is the price drop I was waiting for. 1st time trying vr.

Should I get the horizon bundle or is it just meh? I'm a horizon fan btw
Horizon was great imo, and it is clearly designed for Vr newbies so i would advise you to get the bundle. 10 hour game with a pretty good story, great set pieces and top production values. The combat are too limited and there are a lot of climbing sections but I had a blast playing it.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

If you have the middle tier of PS+, get the free games and enjoy those for a bit so you can gain your sea legs.

There's honestly no point in buying games right now if PSVR made you sick. All the games you want to play will be too overwhelming for you right now.

If you don't have access to those free games. I recommend Runner. It's cheap, you can sit, has good visuals and lots of content. It's the motorcycle anime shooter. Dope game and will give you a good VR experience until you're ready for something more intense. Red Matter 2 is good for adapting to full body smooth locomotion. Minimal action, mostly puzzles but great game. Don't worry about playing Red Matter 1 first and certainly do not buy it first, RM2 is such a better VR experience.
I think I might upgrade to the mid tier due this benefits you mentioned.

There are several vr games on sale though until August 1st. The thumper upgrade for ps5, re village, no man's sky, hellsweeper vr, and moss are in my cart now.

Gonna buy a fan tomorrow as amazingly I don't have over right now. Starting with moss and puzzling places I think. Of course it's 4pm and the psvr hasn't been delivered yet

SilentUser

"There was pent up demand for PSVR 2 at a better price among PS5 gamers, according to our data. Here's the story of how a $200 price drop suddenly made PSVR 2 the most sought-after VR headset.
[...]
In fact, there were more PSVR 2 sales yesterday than in the first seven months of 2024 combined. Amazon is now sold out".

Have no idea if they are reliable, but wanted to share anyway. I just want VR to be a viable medium, I really love it.

Haint

Shame they have no games to go along with it, even a smaller scale AAA game (a la HL:Alyx) from one of their real studios would have moved a shit ton of units.

PanzerCute

There are several vr games on sale though until August 1st. The thumper upgrade for ps5, re village, no man's sky, hellsweeper vr, and moss are in my cart now.

Gonna buy a fan tomorrow as amazingly I don't have over right now. Starting with moss and puzzling places I think. Of course it's 4pm and the psvr hasn't been delivered yet
Hellsweeper is great but it's definitely "VR expert" movement, I would stay away from it as long as you dont have strong VR legs.

Buy the 2 Moss games, they are S Tier and you dont risk anything in terms of motion sickness. Puzzling Places is also S Tier: I downloaded the demo, was blown away in a few seconds and bought it directly. Brilliant concept and a shit ton of content with the dlc packs (very fairly priced)

One of my personal favorite is Ghost Signal: a rogue lite action RTS with a space opera setting. Incredible game with a lot of content (spent more than 30 hours on it), brilliant gameplay, great OST, clean visuals and a very satisfying rogue loop (that is tied to the story).
No motion sickness neither with this one.

Enjoy, there are a LOT of amazing games on the system already.

Last edited:

Thats Nice Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Village is dope as F. All great games you listed.

You'll dig Moss 1&2, damn good games and a great showcase for third person VR.

Ask for advice if the headset gets uncomfortable or you can't find the sweet spot. It happens to everyone, it will happen to you. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

PanzerCute

Shame they have no games to go along with it, even a smaller scale AAA game (a la HL:Alyx) from one of their real studios would have moved a shit ton of units.
There is already a great number of amazing games, they are just not AAA. If you only play big mainstream games, then yeah, avoid VR... and they have a smaller scale AAA game with Horizon COTM.

"There was pent up demand for PSVR 2 at a better price among PS5 gamers, according to our data. Here's the story of how a $200 price drop suddenly made PSVR 2 the most sought-after VR headset.
[...]
In fact, there were more PSVR 2 sales yesterday than in the first seven months of 2024 combined. Amazon is now sold out".

Have no idea if they are reliable, but wanted to share anyway. I just want VR to be a viable medium, I really love it.
Its funny because the same happened with PSVR1: a lot of people bought the headset when it started to get discounted. PSVR2 seems to follow the exact same trajectory and could definitely sell the same amount as PSVR1 in the end. There is just way more negativity online now.

Lunarorbit

Hellsweeper is great but it's definitely "VR expert" movement, I would stay away from it as long as you dont have strong VR legs.

Buy the 2 Moss games, they are S Tier and you dont risk anything in terms of motion sickness. Puzzling Places is also S Tier: I downloaded the demo, was blown away in a few seconds and bought it directly. Brilliant concept and a shit ton of content with the dlc packs (very fairly priced)

One of my personal favorite is Ghost Signal: a rogue lite action RTS with a space opera setting. Incredible game with a lot of content (spent more than 30 hours on it), brilliant gameplay, great OST, clean visuals and a very satisfying rogue loop (that is tied to the story).
No motion sickness neither with this one.

Enjoy, there are a LOT of amazing games on the system already.

Thats Nice Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Village is dope as F. All great games you listed.

You'll dig Moss 1&2, damn good games and a great showcase for third person VR.

Ask for advice if the headset gets uncomfortable or you can't find the sweet spot. It happens to everyone, it will happen to you. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
How long did it take either of you to get to hekksweeper/re level? I set it up with minimal hiccups. Moss is alot of fun; only played 45 minutes so far but I felt good.

No motion sickness. I figure I shouldn't go more than an hour at a time just starting out

How long did it take either of you to get to hekksweeper/re level? I set it up with minimal hiccups. Moss is alot of fun; only played 45 minutes so far but I felt good.

No motion sickness. I figure I shouldn't go more than an hour at a time just starting out
Not super long, RE7 was the one game that would make me feel pretty nauseous so by the time PSVR2 was out I didn't have any issues. I could only play RE7 in 15 minute chunks at first, that lasted a week or so, maybe 2.

You should try out any first person game you have, with smooth locomotion turned on, and the turn radius speed increased so you can rotate the camera pretty quickly. You'll definitely find out if it's going to bother you. :messenger_grinning_sweat: You'll have to get used to VR menus because most games have all kinds of obtrusive comfort options on by default.

I think breaks after an hour is really smart, outside of RE7 nausea, I would feel drained and disoriented when I first started playing VR. Definitely don't want to over do it. I've heard of people feeling hungover the next day, I may even had a bit of that at first.

It becomes second nature after a while and VR is honestly more enjoyable the more you play it. Don't ever let the headset collect dust for too long. Each game has unique quirks and becoming a seasoned VR player will save you so much grief that arises from jank.

Also, I'm totally down for Ghostbusters VR if you jump up to the middle PSN tier. That game is great for coop and an all-around great VR experience.

[...]

Yeah I feel the same way. I love it so much. If we can just keep getting software for the next 3 years like we are now I’m a very happy owner. For that we need customers, but, it’s kind of a chicken or egg problem growing the ecosystem. I bet Sony knows this and are willing to drop the price to this as incentive. To me it looks like a good move.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

When I received my psvr2 I could not do more than 2 laps on GT7, after a week I could play for hours. Just play 5 min, then 10, then 20 and so on.

Never brute force if you feel dizzy, have a fan in front of you and use some ginger gums will also help :)

PanzerCute

With this huge resurgence in sales, hopefully it might waken someone up within Sony to pull their finger out and maybe start converting some of the PSVR1 titles over to PSVR2 or for the love of all that's holy throw some of that extra money at Valve and get them to release HL Alyx
I dream of a Déraciné port with free movement, but that will never happen.

We might get Astro and other games tho, I hope at least.

SilentUser

With this huge resurgence in sales, hopefully it might waken someone up within Sony to pull their finger out and maybe start converting some of the PSVR1 titles over to PSVR2 or for the love of all that's holy throw some of that extra money at Valve and get them to release HL Alyx
Would love to play those PSVR1 titles, never had one! Sony, port your goddam games already! Farpoint, Astro and Deracine to name a few.

And like sncvsrtoip sncvsrtoip just said, make more titles hybrid! I don't need VRAF mechanism, Resi 8 remains one of my favorite titles ever as it is well balanced in terms of VR adaption.

Would love to play those PSVR1 titles, never had one! Sony, port your goddam games already! Farpoint, Astro and Deracine to name a few.

And like sncvsrtoip sncvsrtoip just said, make more titles hybrid! I don't need VRAF mechanism, Resi 8 remains one of my favorite titles ever as it is well balanced in terms of VR adaption.
Farpoint is so damn impressive. I played it a few years post-release and was really shocked at the production levels. The character is full body, looking down and seeing your legs while running, etc. It's super immersive. The Aim controller lends well to the experience.

Last edited:

Audiophile

If we posit $200-300m R&D for PSVR2, BoM @ $265 a unit and round up to $300 for additional costs. They've probably been selling this thing for over $200 profit a unit since launch and if we approximate a very conservative ~1.5M units sold at or near full retail price, then they've likely recovered their R&D costs by now and are well in profit on the overall endeavour.

They could probably cut the price permanently to ~$300-350 and still be making a little profit on every unit while expanding the userbase significantly, in turn bolstering the market more and increase VR software revenue.

At this point I'd let things settle while stock clears, let PS5 Pro get out in the wild + get the PC functionality up an running well, then 6mths down the line release a $299 hardware revision of the current unit & a $399 version that's functionally identical but with wireless and a lower persistence display. Then pair it up with a major marketing push.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

If we posit $200-300m R&D for PSVR2, BoM @ $265 a unit and round up to $300 for additional costs. They've probably been selling this thing for over $200 profit a unit since launch and if we approximate a very conservative ~1.5M units sold, then they've likely recovered their R&D costs by now and are well in profit on the overall endeavour.

They could probably cut the price permanently to ~$300-350 and still be making a little profit on every unit while expanding the userbase significantly, in turn bolstering the market more and increase VR software revenue.

At this point I'd let things settle while stock clears, let PS5 Pro get out in the wild + get the PC functionality up an running well, then 6mths down the line release a $299 hardware revision of the current unit, a $399 version that's functionally identical but with wireless and a lower persistence display. Then pair it up with a major marketing push.
I remember an article at launch stating that Sony should make at least 150$+ profit on every headset, so I think you are spot on.

I do think the headset will have a price cut before the end of the year, or at least some heavy discounts for black friday and Christmas. So basically the same strategy as PSVR1.

SilentUser

Farpoint is so damn impressive. I played it a few years post-release and was really shocked at the production levels. The character is full body, looking down and seeing your legs while running, etc. It's super immersive. The Aim controller lends well to the experience.
You know what? I'm willing to pay up to 15 bucks for PSVR1 titles I already have (like Astro, I think Sony gave that game and others in the past - or was it on PS Plus?). Of course I would like it to be free, but it is better to at least have the option to buy the game on a much newer (and better) platform.

You know what? I'm willing to pay up to 15 bucks for PSVR1 titles I already have (like Astro, I think Sony gave that game and others in the past - or was it on PS Plus?). Of course I would like it to be free, but it is better to at least have the option to buy the game on a much newer (and better) platform.
Same for me. I'd have no issue at all paying a small fee. Especially for something like RE7, Astrobot, etc. Sony is so effing dumb for not converting Astrobot to PSVR2. They finally have a mascot that gamers as a whole enjoy and they keep it relegated to a dead headset. It's so dumb.

Played some Doom 3 tonight on PSVR. Think I'm gonna chip away at the massive VR backlog.

The game being old doesn't lend well to VR textures, but it's still really effective when it comes to gameplay/atmosphere. The sound design always keeps me on edge. Has the DLC too. There's also Doom VFR, I own that as well but haven't played it yet.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Played some Doom 3 tonight on PSVR. Think I'm gonna chip away at the massive VR backlog.

The game being old doesn't lend well to VR textures, but it's still really effective when it comes to gameplay/atmosphere. The sound design always keeps me on edge. Has the DLC too. There's also Doom VFR, I own that as well but haven't played it yet.

Never knew Doom3 was out on PSVR2, musta missed/forgot about that one, played that waaaay back on release when it would hammer my old work laptop and never got around to finishing it, worth a punt then?

Top Bottom