• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pluto New Horizons |OT| New images. Pluto/Charon still geologically active

Status
Not open for further replies.

Log4Girlz

Cool. Whats Deep Dream see....

weird2015-07-14_12-11jxugo.jpg

NUKE IT!

Eyyye lmao

Can I start claiming craters now?

I'm going to begin franchising Pluto Inn Express hotels and a gas station. Last stop before deep space. Won't be another gas station till Alpha Centauri.

elfinke

Phwoar, 10x the resolution tomorrow and better still after that. I will have a side of Pluto with my toast and coffee tomorrow morning!

Anustart

He was just kind of pointing out how it puts it into perspective, since he's taken flights almost as far.

7,700 miles

Or about 1/30th of the distance from the Earth to the Moon, using the example somebody else gave.

Ah! My mistake, I thought the actual flyby was from further away!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The Pluto system is so fantastically fucked up: http://i.imgur.com/cH2l37N.gifv

Yeah, with Pluto and Charon actually being a binary system rather than a singular one, the gravity effects on all of the other moons get wild and wooly. Pluto is much more interesting than we ever expected it to be, such a shame we can't put New Horizons into an orbital path. But Pluto's gravity just isn't enough to make a parking orbit feasible, and carrying enough fuel to do so is terribly impractical with liquid fuel.

Can't wait to see the pics as they slowly come in!

Supposedly evidence of tectonic activity according to the livestream.

Honestly I would expect that given the binary nature of Pluto and Charon constantly tugging on one another, not to mention the crazy orbits of the other moons. There are a lot of gravity changes around the Pluto area.

Nasa Media Briefing, July 14, 2015

Alan Stern:
"If we can put that image up. Which is now the best image. It has a resolution of about 4km per pixel. Which is approximately 1000 times better than what we could do even with the biggest and baddest gun telescope.

RiZ III

From what I've read here, NASA had to continuously adjust the path of the probe to get it where it is. Why though? Don't we know the orbit and the speed of the orbit of Pluto? Why couldn't it's location have been calculated out at launch? What variable(s) were unknown for such a calculation?

E92 M3

The sheer mathematics and design required to achieve this mission are stunning to me. Really excited to see the new images.

OctoMan

Banned
From what I've read here, NASA had to continuously adjust the path of the probe to get it where it is. Why though? Don't we know the orbit and the speed of the orbit of Pluto? Why couldn't it's location have been calculated out at launch? What variable(s) were unknown for such a calculation?
Someone can answer this better but it's size is different than what we thought. And it's gravitational pull wasn't well understood although known to be weak. And charon is constantly changing that pull as well.

elfinke

Nasa Media Briefing, July 14, 2015

Alan Stern:

Alan has been simply superb to listen to tonight. Just a pleasure. Exciting to think what we might get from New Horizons in the next 20 years of its voyage.

It's also quite breathtaking to think about what this little machine is doing with its plutonium-filled RTG engine. Everyone knows something that is ~16km away, to think you could be there in one second, while the sun is barely a (bright!) speck in your eye sight, in the coldest and darkest depths imaginable with your friends all some 32AU away.

Brings a big goofy grin to my face.

Vyrance

Crazy that they also planned to have the fly by happen when Charon can reflect light onto Pluto's dark side. They think of so many things.

daveo42

Banned
Snow...on Pluto?!

Love that final pic before going dark. Man...I can't wait till we find out more on the data from New Horizon tomorrow.

TehOh

It's a matter of precision. We know *roughly* Pluto's size, orbit, gravitational pull, etc. That's enough to make calculations for observations and enough to get us into the neighborhood of Pluto, but not good enough to ensure the closest approach. For that, they had to make adjustments. They also probably had to make adjustments for when they overcorrected its direction. Precision is hard with that kind of communication lag.

It's a matter of precision. We know *roughly* Pluto's size, orbit, gravitational pull, etc. That's enough to make calculations for observations and enough to get us into the neighborhood of Pluto, but not good enough to ensure the closest approach. For that, they had to make adjustments. They also probably had to make adjustments for when they overcorrected its direction. Precision is hard with that kind of communication lag.

You also can't one-shot at that kind of distance. If the thrust is even a thousandth of a degree off, after a billion miles that adds up quickly.

Crispy75

Any chance of New Horizon getting into another mini-planet? (like Eres or Sedna)

Nothing that big, but definitely on to see some other Kuiper Belt Objects. There's a few candidates, but we can only choose one of them. Won't get there till 2019.

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2014/10151024-finally-new-horizons-has-a-kbo.html

There might be further targets after that, but it's not easy to find them. Very very very small and very very very far away.

Yrael

What an amazing moment. It's so cool to be able to see Pluto's "dark whale" and "white heart" in such detail.

E-Cat

If this were for a movie or TV show, it would be at page 100 by now. It's very sad the lack of interest there is. This is a HUGE achievement in Science.
And GAF represents the better constituent of society. Think, then, how little the general public cares.

Mik2121

I guess that's it for the Pluto flyby? New Horizons is getting away from it, right?

Can't wait to see better quality pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom