• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pluto New Horizons |OT| New images. Pluto/Charon still geologically active

Status
Not open for further replies.

sono

Closest approach right now!!

closest3iuv0.png

Seanspeed

Banned
It's not going to be that close right? It's just 8000 miles away from the closest it will be, which is much further, yeah?
Considering it travelled over a billion miles to get there, no 8,000 miles is not much further than 5,000 miles. It's *really* close.

Keio

For a Finer World
What a proud moment for humanity. Sometimes it's easy to forget how we are still living in a golden age of discovery.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Glad I couldn't sleep tonight. Gotta bust out a Sagan quote.
“Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still. We have lingered long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to set sail for the stars.” -Carl Sagan

Chichikov

Oh god, I cannot wait for much better pictures of Pluto! The last one was incredible impressive! :D
Nah, they need to do this for budgetary reasons and to get the public riled up.
That was a pretty half assed U-S-A chant by American standards, you get louder ones when the McRib comes back.

Anustart

Considering it travelled over a billion miles to get there, no 8,000 miles is not much further than 5,000 miles. It's *really* close.

Oh I know it's really close. I was probably interpreting his post wrong. Thought he was saying the probe would be that close.

Edit: How far away from Pluto was the probe at flyby?

Seanspeed

Banned
Oh I know it's really close. I was probably interpreting his post wrong. Thought he was saying the probe would be that close.
He was just kind of pointing out how it puts it into perspective, since he's taken flights almost as far.

Edit: How far away from Pluto was the probe at flyby?
7,700 miles

Or about 1/30th of the distance from the Earth to the Moon, using the example somebody else gave.

E-Cat

The thing that blows my mind is, how can the signal hit a moving probe so far away? How do the photons not miss?!!?

Space Monster

Neo Member
Jeezus, that was the worst coverage on NASA TV. I'm glad I woke up at 4.30 to watch a dude in front of a macbook. Hey, why would I want to watch the guys on the mission team talking about stuff when I can watch a bunch of dudes talking over the guys on the mission team talking about stuff?

I am not a morning person :mad:

Just read this from a BBC article

What a time to be alive!

It is a great achievement. well done nasa.

Also, looking at that picture above, nh is travelling at over 30,000 miles per hour! For a billion miles! It's crazy when you think about that.

Par Score

Its already 1k miles away jesus fucking christ its fast

New Horizons is quick, 14.5 km/s is nothing to sneeze at, but she's still not as fast as Voyager 1, who's still racing away into interstellar space at ~17 km/s.

Neither of them can even get close to the fastest spacecraft of them all, Helios A and B, which clocked up ~70 km/s (that's 0.02% of the speed of light, which is pretty impressive when you think about it) as they spiralled inward toward the Sun (they're still hanging out between the Earth's and Mercury's orbit, in a highly elliptical orbital of their own).

Congrats to mankind for completing the flyby of all 9 planets!

These are actually big moments in human history that will be remembered long after the current state governments are gone.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't think we'll be getting pictures then. Just a quick relay from New Horizons to basically ensure everything went smoothly. I'm guessing they'll still be close enough that their priority will still be gaining more information. Just because we went past it doesn't mean its not still close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom