• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

Chopper

Managed to get back up to level 5 before falling asleep last night. Congrats on the current top spot guys! Sorry I can't be of any help. I'm also sorry we never received our Huey, though I have emailed the developers about that one.

colinp

Banned
Slick game! Fun to be a part of GAFAIR as well.

Reading the thread I need to keep telling myself 'don't worry, you don't need to obsessively check it every ten minutes! You have other things to do, it's OK!'

Hah!

bradigor

I never got on with Tiny Tower, but loving this so far.

I signed up to the GafAir flight crew, does it have to be accepted or anything like that?
Making lots of internal flights at the moment, between Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa and Charleston.

I have plenty of work to do today, so must resist the urge to check iPod every 5 minutes.

I signed up to the GafAir flight crew, does it have to be accepted or anything like that?
Making lots of internal flights at the moment, between Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa and Charleston.

I have plenty of work to do today, so must resist the urge to check iPod every 5 minutes.

You don't have to be accepted.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Slick game! Fun to be a part of GAFAIR as well.

Reading the thread I need to keep telling myself 'don't worry, you don't need to obsessively check it every ten minutes! You have other things to do, it's OK!'

Hah!

I have it open on my ipad next to my monitor as I work, picking up coins (and even a bux!) in the air from the corner of my eye.

This might not work out very well...

DagsJT

I have it open on my ipad next to my monitor as I work, picking up coins (and even a bux!) in the air from the corner of my eye.

This might not work out very well...

Same here. Didn't bring my iPad charger though, at 70% battery so should make it through most of the day.

Any tips for a noob here?
Also where do you add yourself to a crew?
also this :D
planes1wrcva.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What does the blue dot next to a job mean? At first I thought it was indicating the most profitable jobs but that doesn't seem to be the case...

It's just like how the leaderboards on 1000 Heroz worked, really.

Does anyone know what layovers are for? My airports all seem to have 0/10L or 0/6L next to them and I have no idea what it means.

And yeah, loving this.

DagsJT

I'm such an idiot. Bought an airport in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. And then realised that my planes don't have the distance to travel from central Europe :(

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm such an idiot. Bought an airport in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. And then realised that my planes don't have the distance to travel from central Europe :(

I wonder how long it takes to get transatlantic capable planes...

So yeah... I don't see the benefit of M class planes. Sure you get more options, but you don't get the bonus if you bring like 1 dude and 1 cargo to the same city. =/

Robin64

Guise. Seriously. Seriously guise. We are absolutely spanking the leaderboards right now.

So far my biggest planes can carry two passengers. Anyone bigger? Anyone know what it goes up to?

bradigor

I have only just realised I can make multiple stops to get to a destination that is initially too far away. I am a bloody idiot.

More flights to Calgary coming up!!

Robin64

Slightly confused about Events. I see Warsaw listed, which is an airport next to my current area that I am saving up money to open. Does this list mean the Pirate event is going on right now or that it will start soon?

rbBFt.png

DagsJT

Slightly confused about Events. I see Warsaw listed, which is an airport next to my current area that I am saving up money to open. Does this list mean the Pirate event is going on right now or that it will start soon?

rbBFt.png

13hrs left until it starts.

Chopper

I had this problem yesterday with Muscat. Supergophers are your friend.

rbBFt.png
Well I've just this second bought Warsaw, so I'll let you know what happens...

avcables

Banned

rbBFt.png

We were pretty sure those were additional events that go on during the main Global Event. Not sure if they count toward your Global Event score so people who decide not to start near Calgary can get a piece of the action, or if they're just extra events that you have to do 1,000 times for an unlock or something.

The timer to the right of the event is the duration that it lasts before it will end.

In other news, running trips to Calgary again this morning! Can't believe we took 1st place overnight!

DagsJT

We were pretty sure those were additional events that go on during the main Global Event. Not sure if they count toward your Global Event score so people who decide not to start near Calgary can get a piece of the action, or if they're just extra events that you have to do 1,000 times for an unlock or something.

The timer to the right of the event is the duration that it lasts before it will end.

In other news, running trips to Calgary again this morning! Can't believe we took 1st place overnight!

I think if the event name is in blue, the event is ongoing (Calgary currently blue) and so that time is the time left of the event.

When the text is just plain white, then it's an upcoming event and the time is ticking down to when it starts.

I think if the event name is in blue, the event is ongoing (Calgary currently blue) and so that time is the time left of the event.

When the text is just plain white, then it's an upcoming event and the time is ticking down to when it starts.

When the text is blue, it's the global event. The rest are... we don't know. They either count or they don't!

This is driving me nuts: is there some way to tell whether or not your plane can/can't fly to a city? I really, really wish the airport wouldn't display jobs that my 500 mile radius planes can't fly to (I'm currently stationed in the USA West Coast, but I've also unlocked Vancouver and Calgary). I've gotta be missing something here; it's driving me nuts loading people onto my planes, only to find out I can't fly far enough, then going back in the menu, unloading them, then loading other people.

Also, does anything happen when you're watching your planes fly, aside from the opportunity of getting random coins? Who the hell would watch that just to get 2 or 3 coins? That adds up to nothing.

This seems a lot more hands-on than Tiny Towers was. I want to be able to stop playing, but have significant stuff happen while I'm sleeping and whatnot. But it seems like the only thing I'm doing is specifically orchestrating flights, which go by quickly.

Isn't there some way to make the planes just automatically fly from destination to destination, picking a passenger/cargo automatically? I'd like to make progress while I sleep, but I dont think that's happening.

No auto gameplay, but based on some of the flights I'm doing with 2 people and one cargo, I'm gettin 20+ minute flights. By tonight I'll probably be doing hour long flights with multiple drop offs. If the game paces itself well, we'll all need about a week before we're doing cross Atlantic flights that take all night. So eventuall we'll be earning money while we sleep, just takes some time to get there.

This is driving me nuts: is there some way to tell whether or not your plane can/can't fly to a city? I really, really wish the airport wouldn't display jobs that my 500 mile radius planes can't fly to (I'm currently stationed in the USA West Coast, but I've also unlocked Vancouver and Calgary). I've gotta be missing something here; it's driving me nuts loading people onto my planes, only to find out I can't fly far enough, then going back in the menu, unloading them, then loading other people.

Also, does anything happen when you're watching your planes fly, aside from the opportunity of getting random coins? Who the hell would watch that just to get 2 or 3 coins? That adds up to nothing.

You can fly via other airports, if that helps.

Also, you get Bux sometimes from the planes flying.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Bux fly by with surprising frequency. I've picked up about 10 or so sofar.

It is extremely distracting though, yes :p

Robin64

Well I purchase Warsaw, which is said to have a Pirate Party listed.

It seems that other airports now have pirates and pirate booty as passengers and cargo, and these seem to reward more coins than normal stuff. Handy, if nothing else.

Well I thought that was what the blue dots next to available passengers meant; that you could reach their destination with the current plane, either via direct route, or by stopover. But I don't think that's the case.

Nah, the dots signify how busy the airport is. Red is busiest, then blue then black.

Anyone knows how you can see how many times you did an event. For example the one in Warsaw. I don't mean the world event but the green ones.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just remember you can get anywhere with any plane regardless of their range, you just need to make more stops. Keep clicking airports until you get where you need to be, assuming you aren't unreasonably far from the destination you'll still make a profit in the end even if you don't leave anyone or anything at a stop.

Top Bottom