• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

DagsJT

Hmm after hammering this for over 12 hours now, I can feel the novelty beginning to wear off a little. Just getting a bit monotonous and the fact that you can't leave it running and it'll still function really doesn't help.

I'm at level 8 now and have got airports a fair distance away from each other, yet I'm still required to keep fixing flights up every 5 mins or so. And all for just a few coins. Whereas in Tiny Tower, I could leave it for hours if I'd stocked up enough stores and I'd still not have to completely babysit it.

Not sure how much longer it'll stay on my iPad, to be honest.

HBP

"To the NeoGAF forums, there is nothing about level 7 that crashes your game." via NimbleDave on Twitter

Twie

Alright, I just started and joined #GAFAIR. I started in Australia so I don't think there's much I can do to help with Calgary event, but let me know if there is!

Evlar

Banned
So, between C, P, and M types, which is most valuable? I'm thinking that concentrating on M-type during the early game might be best, since it limits the times you may have nothing to move from a particular airport. Later, once hubs have been established, specialized long-distance Cs and Ps might be the way to go.

Thoughts?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So, between C, P, and M types, which is most valuable? I'm thinking that concentrating on M-type during the early game might be best, since it limits the times you may have nothing to move from a particular airport. Later, once hubs have been established, specialized long-distance Cs and Ps might be the way to go.

Thoughts?

I think it varies. If you're amazing at micromanaging layovers, I don't think the difference will be terribly noticeable. I could be wrong, but a bulk of your money will likely come from running layover flights and chaining those.

NimbleDave

Neo Member
Hey guys, we have been trying to track down all the crashes and related lost progress all morning and we think we have it narrowed down. When the game is checking to see if it should use iCloud it is just checking to see if you have an iCloud enabled device, NOT specifically if you have iCloud actually set up. So we think the crashes are happening when the game is expecting iCloud to be available but it's not actually enabled on the device.

I don't have any information that would make me believe there is any specific "crash point" in the progress of the game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hey guys, we have been trying to track down all the crashes and related lost progress all morning and we think we have it narrowed down. When the game is checking to see if it should use iCloud it is just checking to see if you have an iCloud enabled device, NOT specifically if you have iCloud actually set up. So we think the crashes are happening when the game is expecting iCloud to be available but it's not actually enabled on the device.

I don't have any information that would make me believe there is any specific "crash point" in the progress of the game.

I had a crash late last night. I have an iPhone 4S, but iCloud is NOT enabled. Are you saying I should enable it on my device in order to [hopefully] prevent future issues (such as wiping my save)?

Will enabling it cause me to have a hiccup and lose all my data? That's what I'm most worried about, largely because I've already invested some cash into it, haha.

How do layovers work?

Regarding layovers, if you have a passenger in City A that wants to go to City C, you can take him to City B, drop him off, and use another plane to take him to City C. That counts as a layover and it appears to increase the value of his trip.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Any idea whats up with the icloud saves? Or do you have any set of actions I should try.

Ive tried disable and reenabling on both devices. removing the app from the device that won't sync. Not sure what else to try.

I have a new iPad that is saving to the cloud. My iphone 4s won't load the cloud save even though it shows up when I look in the settings for stored app data.

Alright, good to know.

NimbleDave

Neo Member
Any idea whats up with the icloud saves? Or do you have any set of actions I should try.

Ive tried disable and reenabling on both devices. removing the app from the device that won't sync. Not sure what else to try.

I have a new iPad that is saving to the cloud. My iphone 4s won't load the cloud save even though it shows up when I look in the settings for stored app data.

iCloud is really kind of a nebulous *magic* thing that we just kind of throw a data file at and hope it does it's job. It's possible that some of the things we are working on fixing might improve the job it does syncing but I don't know for certain.

If we are correct about what is causing this issue, then yes enabling iCloud if it is not currently enabled should protect you from that crash.

Meier

Holy cow at the lead Touch Arcade has opened up. You have to question whether they're all valid..

I'm 104th in GAFAIR now with my 4 trips to Calgary. :lol Thunder Bay is a 12 minute flight from there.. oof. Closed the Bismarck airport since it hadn't really earned its keep and stretched to Goose Bay to hopefully connect to Europe eventually.

I'm excited for this upcoming weekend where I'll have nothing to do but watch footy, golf, and play Pocket Planes to catch up to some of you who can play during the week.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I love the changes to the sky as time progresses...I love so much about the design and detail of this game. 'Grats nimbledave.

Evlar

Banned
Since we have Dave here, this is the freaky bug I ran into a couple hours ago. I closed the app while browsing the market. Sometime later, when I re-entered the app (still running in the background) the screen showed an airport view. However, whenever I touched the screen it would behave as though I were still in the (invisible) market... touching near the bottom left would sort the market and make it visible, touching the middle-right would bring up a "Do you want to buy [Part X] for 3 Bux?" dialog, and so forth. Touching the bottom right, where the Menu key should be, would return me to the non-functional airport screen.

The error was unrecoverable. I had to bail out of the process from the iOS multitask bar, losing some progress, to fix it. Is this what other people are seeing when the game "crashes"?

InertiaXr

Since we have Dave here, this is the freaky bug I ran into a couple hours ago. I closed the app while browsing the market. Sometime later, when I re-entered the app (still running in the background) the screen showed an airport view. However, whenever I touched the screen it would behave as though I were still in the (invisible) market... touching near the bottom left would sort the market and make it visible, touching the middle-right would bring up a "Do you want to buy [Part X] for 3 Bux?" dialog, and so forth. Touching the bottom right, where the Menu key should be, would return me to the non-functional airport screen.

The error was unrecoverable. I had to bail out of the process from the iOS multitask bar, losing some progress, to fix it. Is this what other people are seeing when the game "crashes"?

Same happened to me 3 times so far, midway from lvl 6 to 7.

Nugg

8zLUn.jpg

Holy shit you can zoom out on the map. I feel stupid.

NimbleDave

Neo Member

Yea, we think this is the same bug where right when you re-enter the app it is trying to to iCloud things and failing which is interfering with the game. We should be able to address it with the same fix for the next update. Hoping to submit a fix tonight or tomorrow.

dantehemi

Sorry if I sound stupid, but how do I join gafair? I'm level 2 and started in Ottawa. Is that a good place to begin, I don't mind restarting to help our team....would love it if there was a good write up discussing some strategys, it's a little confusing as to what my main objective is.

Sorry if I sound stupid, but how do I join gafair? I'm level 2 and started in Ottawa. Is that a good place to begin, I don't mind restarting to help our team....would love it if there was a good write up discussing some strategys, it's a little confusing as to what my main objective is.

Menu, Flight Crew, then type in GAFAIR in the Active Flight Crew field.

HBP

Menu > Flight Crew > type GAFAIR at the top

dantehemi

Menu > Flight Crew > type GAFAIR at the top

Yeah that's what I thought, but it seems like flight crew is not working for me. I'm getting a message saying
"flight crew details are unavailable at this time"

I'm in Canada, is anyone else having this problem?

Top Bottom