• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

Pepboy

Wondering if people are bailing for TA....

I think we would see the GAFAIR leaderboard changing pretty drastically if that were the case. Also it's only 50 bucks difference (about $2), I think GAF has more loyalty than that.

Instead, I think the majority of the Touch Arcade readership is unlikely to download Pocket Planes at midnight; instead they'll get a lot of casuals who are trying the game out the next day. The real battles will be the ~third event when TA casuals may have dropped out.

Do we know who third place (now almost second) is?

So the cloud saving is really wonky for me. I play primarily on my iPad 2, but I opened the game on my iPhone 3GS a little later... It walked me through the tutorial and asked me to choose a start city. I chose a different one from my first game, and that was that. But when I went into the menu, the game had imported my GAFAIR settings into the event screen... So there's obviously SOME form of cloud saving going on. What should I do? As far as I can tell, I can play a whole new game on my iPhone, yet still get GAFAIR bonuses in both?

Chopper

To that guy who said he could change the TA forum details to # Gaf Air: Do it.

NimbleDave, you fancy joining GafAir?

Holy shit, I want to win some stuff. Is it SA coming up from third?

TwiztidElf

Yeah that's what I thought, but it seems like flight crew is not working for me. I'm getting a message saying
"flight crew details are unavailable at this time"

I'm in Canada, is anyone else having this problem?
I'm getting this too. Since last night. Level 6. Australia.
My kids are GAFAIR and can still get into the Flight Crew fine.
I did turn the notifications off, so I might try putting them back on.

Pepboy

Wish it'd be pinch-to-zoom, not static zoom in-out buttons. Would make the UI feel less stuffy.

Personally I don't mind it, but I do wish there was a way to cycle through airports without going to the map.

Edit: Green text for city names that have "bucks" shipments would also be nice as it's painful when I miss them. But maybe I'm just too early in the game (level 8).

I figured they would have their own internal team going, but it'd be awesome if they joined GAF. :)

Meier

So I was all confused as to why a person who wanted to go to Berlin was red.. then Berlin's name itself was red.. clicked the airport and it's raining hard. Pretty neat -- does this mean I can't have any flights going there due to weather or does it just take longer?

Edit: Looks like it's closed when it's red. Bummer! Neat though.

Tobor

They need to show the team names in the leader boards.

NimbleDave

Neo Member
So the cloud saving is really wonky for me. I play primarily on my iPad 2, but I opened the game on my iPhone 3GS a little later... It walked me through the tutorial and asked me to choose a start city. I chose a different one from my first game, and that was that. But when I went into the menu, the game had imported my GAFAIR settings into the event screen... So there's obviously SOME form of cloud saving going on. What should I do? As far as I can tell, I can play a whole new game on my iPhone, yet still get GAFAIR bonuses in both?

I think it saved your flight crew settings from our server which keeps track using your gamecenter account, so iCloud probably hasn't synced anything.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
fN0fg.png

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
They need to show the team names in the leader boards.

If they did randoms would just join the best teams no? I mean even though they need 24 deliveries they could just join the number 1 team right now and propel them even further.

NimbleDave

Neo Member

Believe me I am way too busy with the launch of the game to contribute much of anything to any flight crew.

Forkball

Vladivostok is the worst airport, they rarely have jobs. Also what's the deal with the day/night cycle in the game? It clearly doesn't go off of your clock, is their any point to it?

Evlar

Banned
If they did randoms would just join the best teams no? I mean even though they need 24 deliveries they could just join the number 1 team right now and propel them even further.

Yeah, I agree; unless a password function is added, making the team names public would just fuel a cycle of rich-get-richer.

Screenboy

how do you upgrade your planes? I seem to have parts but when I tap Build it just shows me some different coloured planes and thats it?

BKXB

Economist
Vladivostok is the worst airport, they rarely have jobs. Also what's the deal with the day/night cycle in the game? It clearly doesn't go off of your clock, is their any point to it?

I don't have much else to compare it to, but Vladivostok is serving as my hub between Japan and Ulan Batar and Yinchuan.

how do you upgrade your planes? I seem to have parts but when I tap Build it just shows me some different coloured planes and thats it?

The parts are available for you to build a new aircraft. You upgrade your plane after it has landed you can click on the airplane icon and choose upgrade.

Meier

It's based off the real world clock I'm guessing considering it's night time in Europe right now. Pretty neat.

You can upgrade airports that have low population.. pretty cheap to do so and in theory, it will provide more jobs.

NimbleDave

Neo Member
I think we are going to try just taking out vibration completely in the short term. About using the clock to cheat, we detect that in the game and built in some consequences.

Quick question: jobs cycle every 10 minutes, right? But what happens with layovers? If you leave them there, do they get deleted with the new cycle of jobs or are they immune?

Meier

I wonder if storms are based off the weather in real life too? This Berlin one is lasting awhile.. 20-30 minutes so far. Killing me. ><

Quick question: jobs cycle every 10 minutes, right? But what happens with layovers? If you leave them there, do they get deleted with the new cycle of jobs or are they immune?

Layovers seem to remain indefinitely until you X them out and then they can get erased. Jobs are every 5 minutes or so? Parts at the market are 11.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I think we are going to try just taking out vibration completely in the short term. About using the clock to cheat, we detect that in the game and built in some consequences.
Someone had an airport burning down earlier in the thread while testing the clock cheat, I assume that's one of the consequences, lol. Nice stuff.

dantehemi

So I finally was able to join GAFair. So what do I have to do to help our flight crew? Just keep sending flights to Calgary?

chris121580

Believe me I am way too busy with the launch of the game to contribute much of anything to any flight crew.

Thanks for joining to give us the latest information. We really appreciate it. Congrats on the launch of the game. I love it! It's incredibly addicting. Been playing it all day

HBP

I think we would see the GAFAIR leaderboard changing pretty drastically if that were the case. Also it's only 50 bucks difference (about $2), I think GAF has more loyalty than that.

Instead, I think the majority of the Touch Arcade readership is unlikely to download Pocket Planes at midnight; instead they'll get a lot of casuals who are trying the game out the next day. The real battles will be the ~third event when TA casuals may have dropped out.

Do we know who third place (now almost second) is?

My guess is SomethingAwful.

Wish the parts icon had a tab that went to the "for sale" menu. I hate having to go back and forth me make sure I buy the Gopher-C instead of the Gopher-P item.

Flunkie

Banned
Pretty impressed by this game. I think it needs a few UI improvements to make it more seamless, but still a really solid timewaster.

So the rewards are per-team, not per-person?

Top Bottom