• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

NimbleDave

Neo Member
ok... this shit is kinda retarded.

ibmW2WmNDFZHFv.jpg

already had 3 airports go down on me today. Is there maintenance or something I'm missing?

Have you been messing with the device clock?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I guess layovers is the secret to this game, right? I hadn't been doing them and now starting to. I have a plane that has crap fuel economy and I actually get negative profit if I make it travel far. Guess I'll use it to bus bitizens around. Good thing these guys don't have a happiness meter

I just started playing and joined the GAFAIR crew, (all I need to do is add the name, right?). Also, I literally have no friends on Game Center so please feel free to add me!
ID: thebigkahuna

gotee12

Oh man. The game is starting to crash everytime I bring it out of standby. If it's running in the background and I tap the icon to bring it back up, it crashes. I can then open the game normally. The iPhone is not going into standby either for this to happen. I'm simply minimizing the app to do other things (like check GAF).

Is this what other folks experienced before they lost their gamesave? I don't want to lose it!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm starting to get anal with the bonuses, the profit with the better and more spacious planes can get pretty crazy when compared to a normal non-bonus flight.

Experimenting more now with layovers and waiting for new jobs while already having people on board at the airport.

HBP

Does backing up saves manually via iExplorer or some other kind of file manager help? I've been pretty paranoid about my app data recently that I'm taking matters into my own hand and occasionally backing up some files that I think are game saves. I don't really trust iCloud or iTunes backups at all
Back up the documents folder and you're fine, did it earlier when I changed to the US version and it worked perfectly.

NimbleDave

Neo Member
Oh man. The game is starting to crash everytime I bring it out of standby. If it's running in the background and I tap the icon to bring it back up, it crashes. I can then open the game normally. The iPhone is not going into standby either for this to happen. I'm simply minimizing the app to do other things (like check GAF).

Is this what other folks experienced before they lost their gamesave? I don't want to lose it!

Do you have iCloud turned off? If so, try turning it on.

bob page

Dammit, I was undecided as to whether I should join the SA or GAF crew... looks like I've posted in this thread more so GAF it is!

A big apology from the devs, we are working to get a fix to the crashes out ASAP. If you want to send me your gamecenter ID (located on the settings menu) to dave@nimblebit.com and I can gift you some bux and coins if you tell me about how many you had

That is really quite nice of you but I have no idea what I had and I certainly don't want to leech you for a bunch of stuff I didn't earn.

gotee12

Do you have iCloud turned off? If so, try turning it on.
I do have iCloud turned off but honestly I do not want to turn it on. I trust my local backups over "the cloud" and since Apple forces you to pick one or the other and not both...

I'm going to leave it alone for the night and sync the phone up in the morning.

NimbleDave

Neo Member
i just bought all 3 parts for a plane, how do i build it?

Go to the parts section from the menu and hit the BUILD button. It will cost 3 more bucks to craft the plane and then it will put up a map for you to select where you want it to go.

This seems fun, and I like the landing updates *biiing*. Already spent more time on this than Tiny Tower, but I wish it had been trains.

I'm #gafair now.

SeanR1221

So basically with layovers, you have to micromanage, and actually lose a little money to make the first stop to pick someone else up?

Lkr

Go to the parts section from the menu and hit the BUILD button. It will cost 3 more bucks to craft the plane and then it will put up a map for you to select where you want it to go.

got it. so basically i don't save much over buying the plane itself. should i build airports in smaller places or just save up and buy something like chicago?

NimbleDave

Neo Member
So basically with layovers, you have to micromanage, and actually lose a little money to make the first stop to pick someone else up?

It makes a lot more sense a little later in the game when you have higher capacity planes. Instead of flying them around mostly empty filling it up, it's a lot more efficient to have enough jobs waiting for you in a single spot to load it up and turn it around quickly.

Flunkie

Banned
Man, managing layovers for increased profit is a little too difficult with how hard it is to get into each airport and see your layovers.

NimbleDave

Neo Member
got it. so basically i don't save much over buying the plane itself. should i build airports in smaller places or just save up and buy something like chicago?

You save the cost of one part I believe.

I usually try to save up and work in a line towards a big city a decent distance away so that you have a line going with 2 bigger cities on each end.

Lkr

not quite sure about layovers. i know if i pick someone up in say montreal, i can drop someone off in ottawa and then someone else off in detroit. is it possible to pick someone else up in ottawa and also take them to detroit?

NimbleDave

Neo Member
So here is a good example of using layovers, I had a game where I had a string of kangaroos going from Tokyo all the way to Hawaii. So the most valuable jobs I was picking up in Tokyo wanted to go to Hawaii.

I would take them all the way across the map to LA, but the Kangaroos can't make it from LA to Hawaii, it's out of range. So I just unloaded all my Hawaii jobs there in LA and then I used a longer distance plane to constantly go back and forth picking up the jobs I left in LA and taking them to Hawaii.

NimbleDave

Neo Member
It stays and doesn't disappear right?

Correct, unless you tap the little X and manually delete them. Each city has a certain number of layover slots, (designated by the "L" on the menu bar of the airport) once you fill them up you can't leave any more there unless you upgrade the airport.

Lkr

you guys can gift me planes if you want lol. i'm not on anyone's gamecenter list(just got my 4s a week ago) my username is Lkr721993

NimbleDave

Neo Member
What are the other benefits of upgrading an airport?

Makes the job pool a bit bigger and adds more layover slots. It's pretty expensive though, especially for the bigger cities so not really something to bother with in the beginning of the game.

I think I am going to try writing up a more detailed help guide for the game and see if we can get them to show up on web views inside the game when you click on the little info buttons in the upper right of the screen instead of the little blurbs that tell you pretty much nothing useful.

ahhh so that's the counter measure dave.

Yeah, was messing around with it earlier today/yesterday because iphone froze and time was off lol.

Cool system ;P

NimbleDave

Neo Member
I shouldn't get a class 2 plane if I only have 2 blue cities, right?

Well, unless you could make good money going between those 2 cities. Are they a decent distance from each other? This is where you could start to use layovers to funnel jobs to those 2 cities.

Top Bottom