• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

Row

Banned
I wouldn't be able to yet anyways but it seems strange that you can only cross the atlantic and not the pacific

Chopper

I'm in eastern Europe, so I can't help with Calgary this time, so I've been trying to work out who the top ten is. I didn't get very far. TA is defo No. 1, Something Awful 2, us 3...

IGN are 8th.

That's all I've got...

Edit: "Neogaf" is 192nd!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I just finished a quick and cheap route that looks potentially clandestine to reach Calgary, it goes through Cancun, Chihuahua and Salt Lake City. I'll expand it eventually but at least now I can participate in the event.

Surprisingly, doing this isn't hurting my business due to all the bonuses. And the planes with better range like the Mohawk are making some good cash with the new travel distance.

Started using layovers more too, for bonuses and because I still have two last 600mi Navigators that I need to replace in my fleet and they can't reach the new places places the way things are at the moment.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm in eastern Europe, so I can't help with Calgary this time, so I've been trying to work out who the top ten is. I didn't get very far. TA is defo No. 1, Something Awful 2, us 3...

IGN are 8th.

That's all I've got...

Edit: "Neogaf" is 192nd!

See, we should have used the NeoGAF name!

avcables

Banned
That feeling when you can load 2 Calgarys the same plane.

That feeling when you can load 4C/4C/2P2C is so much nicer. ;D

I started in the South West and just bought Calgary, sending planes there now. This game is addicting!

Don't forget: don't overextend yourself just to contribute. If you're not able to consistently pick up and drop off jobs for Calgary and still make sound progress in your game, just focus on efficiency! We've got the third place spot locked.

Heel

Probably toucharcade.

We need to get gafair signups by spreading the word on twitter.

Even in the iOS thread would be good. Maybe ask to add the thread to the OP?

Editing the OP here with instructions on how to join the flight club might help too...

Don't forget: don't overextend yourself just to contribute. If you're not able to consistently pick up and drop off jobs for Calgary and still make sound progress in your game, just focus on efficiency! We've got the third place spot locked.

They will need to make at least five deliveries to earn the prize themselves though.

Probably toucharcade.

We need to get gafair signups by spreading the word on twitter.

We're not gonna beat TouchArcade, I wouldn't think. The place is full of whales.

Vamphuntr

It seems there is a glitch where you randomly lose progress if you minimize the app and then restore it for me. I lost an airport this way :S

Chopper

Editing the OP here with instructions on how to join the flight club might help too...
Or a thread in OT? This game is broad enough to appeal to pretty much anyone...

Pastry

Banned

I'll edit the OP with instructions later tonight, I'm a little busy right now. Good idea.

upgrading the weight means less cost to fly to locations right? speed would just make it faster and range is just how far in one take off.

Twie

do you only get 1 airport per level or can I get more later? This is going to be really slow if I only get 1 airport per level...

NimbleDave

Neo Member
do you only get 1 airport per level or can I get more later? This is going to be really slow if I only get 1 airport per level...

I believe the max airports is your level + 3. You can get to level 15-20 in like 3 or 4 days though which gives you enough flexibility to make it pretty much anywhere on the map.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Wow, the Kangaroo is sweet. Glad I got the plan and controls for it and the market was a bro by having the body and engine. Finally getting rid of those Navigators.

Row

Banned
What is this "lay over" strategy everyone is talking about?

the more people/cargo you have in your plane, the more money you make due to bonuses. However,you're not going to be able to fill your plane to capacity every time, so instead you map your route to stop at an airport other than your destination to potentially pick up more stuff and get the bonuses.

I think that's the jist of it atleast

edit: n/m looks like that isn't the case at all, post #1035

NimbleDave

Neo Member
What is this "lay over" strategy everyone is talking about?

Once you have bigger and longer range planes, you can start to amass a group of people going all to the same place in one airport by gathering them up with smaller planes and dropping them off. Then you take the bigger plane and fill it all the way up with the layovers and deliver them with the full plane 25% bonus.

So you could have one plane that is doing nothing but going back and forth between LA and New York, and your other planes are constantly ferrying people around LA that want to go to New York and dumping them in LA, same with around New York. Then by the time the LA to New York plane gets to either end point it will already have a plane full of jobs waiting to quickly pick up and start back again.

calder

I never got int tiny tower but this is pretty fun so far.

Just hit lvl 3, added Toronto to my airline as my first new airport.

Once you have bigger and longer range planes, you can start to amass a group of people going all to the same place in one airport by gathering them up with smaller planes and dropping them off. Then you take the bigger plane and fill it all the way up with the layovers and deliver them with the full plane 25% bonus.

So you could have one plane that is doing nothing but going back and forth between LA and New York, and your other planes are constantly ferrying people around LA that want to go to New York and dumping them in LA, same with around New York. Then by the time the LA to New York plane gets to either end point it will already have a plane full of jobs waiting to quickly pick up and start back again.

Thank you NimbleDave.

My wife and I each have an iPad but we use the same iTunes account and Gamecenter account. She has been doing Calgary runs while I toil away in Europe. I'm interested to see what happens when the challenge finishes. Does she get the Bux? Will I get them too?

I am afraid to talk about this game to the engineers and designers at my work. I already see white boards filling up with optimal loops.

Edit; So funny my dad and I were talking about the FedEx model; everything is sent to Altanta and sent out from there.

This game is fun... got it on Ipad3. Graphics are kinda dumb tho. All the people look like they have down syndrome.

Joined #GAFAir... but am in Japan so can't help with Calgary event... so to participate in events, you just fly to that city, right? Or what? It doesnt really say...

NimbleDave

Neo Member
Thank you NimbleDave.

My wife and I each have an iPad but we use the same iTunes account and Gamecenter account. She has been doing Calgary runs while I toil away in Europe. I'm interested to see what happens when the challenge finishes. Does she get the Bux? Will I get them too?

I'm not sure actually, my first guess would be that the first person to load the game when the rewards are triggered on the server will get them.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is it better to expand a bit or keep populating the areas you're currently surrounding?

Or more specifically, should I buy Tokyo since I have all the surrounded Japanese airport, or for the same price buy Seoul or Shanghai or Beijing which are all a bit further?

Tobe

im gonna soon level up and buy bismark, is there a way to transfer planes from region to region? all of my fleet is in south america and they wont reach the north any time soon.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What am I doing wrong that I'm level 4 and barely making any money? Made like maybe 4 grand in the past hour or so, but seemingly a lot more before that.

Too early for tips and tricks?

What am I doing wrong that I'm level 4 and barely making any money? Made like maybe 4 grand in the past hour or so, but seemingly a lot more before that.

Too early for tips and tricks?

Try to drop off multiple things at a single location, you get a bonus in money earned doing that.

Who's had some funny things happen in their game?

I just found my plane randomly upside down
z1rrj.png

Top Bottom