• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, I just opened my first flight into South America. It's funny how excited I am to start branching into 45-60 minute flights. Just makes me enjoy the management aspects of this game more and more!

E: But Bogota is going to run me 40k. Time to save!

Halfway through Lvl 11. Third on the GAF list. Wario, you've fallen behind!

Good job NimbleBit, you've killed my battery twice in one day. It's now constantly plugged in.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Was about to buy New York and I couldn't because it's under a snowstorm, wondering if this is a sign.

NimbleDave (or whoever else reads this), silly minor suggestion (or maybe you've tested this): Is there someway to differentiate a location that has maxed out the layover cap on the map itself? I've boned myself enough times onto cities that have maxed out, and then it became a weird process of flying in empty planes just to dig myself out of a hole...

Man, I just opened my first flight into South America. It's funny how excited I am to start branching into 45-60 minute flights. Just makes me enjoy the management aspects of this game more and more!

E: But Bogota is going to run me 40k. Time to save!

I can't wait to get to that point. I have to constantly have the phone in-hand to tend to these short flights.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yeah so this game.. Is officially awesome. My coworkers were laughing at me when I had to explain to them what I was doing though... Whatever, HAVE TO KEEP CLICKING. Expanding my transatlantic bridge atm, about to get my first airvan, hopefully gonna make it to calgary before the event ends :) should be able to :)

A thunderstorm in...Los Angeles? lol

haha, I know. Sad thing it happened just AFTER I bought LA and ended up with 2 of my planes stuck there.

Finally opened a route to Calgary so I'm glad to finally be contributing!

UolZt.png

numble

Can someone explain the events? What's special about a spill in Calgary? I have the iOS 6 beta running so maybe I'm not seeing something.

Shady859

Just found this a couple hours ago and i'm yet again addicted to a Nimblebit game. Tiny Tower still has me but I mainly just play it at work as a time killer haha.

Joined the GafAir crew and i'm saving $$$ to open a Calgary airport and help the cause next. :)

Can someone explain the events? What's special about a spill in Calgary? I have the iOS 6 beta running so maybe I'm not seeing something.
Basically, it's a "meta goal" of doing flights to a specific location. The "global event" sums up however many people accomplish, and hands out a reward for the leaderboards based on how the groups did.

Think of it as multiplayer, even though we're not playing the same game.

Shady859

It's similiar to Tiny Tower where you'd collect certain store items to earn bux. Looks like this game will have timed events and your groups compete again other groups to earn large reward bux prizes.

EDIT: lol I knew someone would beat me. :p

We are currenty #3

There are set world events. Right now there's a chemical spill in Calgary. You join a flight crew (GAFair) and try to ship as many emergency items to Calgary as possible. The top flight crews get rewards when the event ends. Check 'Flight Crew' under the menu option.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Will upgrading an airport make it able to take higher class aircraft? I can't land at one airport now with a class 2, so is it like that permanenetly or will upgrading let me land?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Significantly less crashes post-patch. Only got one so far. Trying to branch to LA from NYC now. Bought Kansas. Anyone know the most optimal route from Northeast NA to LA?

eeenmachine

a developer of very popular and awesome games
Will upgrading an airport make it able to take higher class aircraft? I can't land at one airport now with a class 2, so is it like that permanenetly or will upgrading let me land?

Classes are fixed. Upgrading just gives you a bigger job pool and more layover slots.

eeenmachine

I don't. I enjoy having fewer airports for now as it is a lot easier to juggle and make money still.

My endgame preference is to have a network of red cities east west across the map and then buy temp connections to the global event cities.

My endgame preference is to have a network of red cities east west across the map and then buy temp connections to the global event cities.
I'm trying to picture this right now: would you just put all the class 1/2 planes in the hanger so that you don't get those missions?

eeenmachine

I'm trying to picture this right now: would you just put all the class 1/2 planes in the hanger so that you don't get those missions?

I usually ran AeroEagles on the main line and would recommission a fleet of kangaroos connecting the GE city to the nearest main line city which is where I would concentrate layovers.

Have broken out of the West coast, extending my line up through Canada and brought in New York. Great how it always feels like you're making some progress, however small.

I usually ran AeroEagles on the main line and would recommission a fleet of kangaroos connecting the GE city to the nearest main line city which is where I would concentrate layovers.
Which reminds me: is there a cap to your fleet size, both active planes and ones in your hanger?

NimbleDave

Neo Member
I'm not going to be able to keep up with the thread this weekend since I am going out of town. Eeenmachine will have to take over answering questions.

Koodo

Banned
Just joined #GAFAIR.

And POOR BRAVE Calgary. I can't help but think this is a playful dig on our city's pristine blue river suddenly turning BROWN AND DIRTY.

Flunkie

Banned
Either you guys aren't playing as much or you're bailing out of #GAFAIR and joining other groups, because we're about 6,000 away from falling to 4th.

Row

Banned
Either you guys aren't playing as much or you're bailing out of #GAFAIR and joining other groups, because we're about 6,000 away from falling to 4th.

the other communities are just much larger, we probably have the highest per member delivery average though I'd imagine

we won't drop out of the top 10 and 2-10 is the same prize, so it's all gravy

the other communities are just much larger, we probably have the highest per member delivery average though I'd imagine

we won't drop out of the top 10 and 2-10 is the same prize, so it's all gravy
Climbing my way to #3, I've passed a few people who were on track above top 10 that had since disappeared...

Looks like I've set myself back with quite a misstep.

My initial base was in the east coast (Toronto, Detroit, Montreal), and slowly expanded the in-between cities to get to Calgary. After reading some of your thought on how to optimize, I ended up closing some of the smaller ones in hopes of bumping up my numbers output. In general, it seemed to be a success, I was getting more routes to Calgary immediately, but this was at a cost of a few idling cities that weren't handing out enough deliveries for the number of planes I had (~12). I had also expanded out west, but those super long routes didn't seem to offset the issues.

I've pretty much reverted all my old cities, reopening all the smaller cities I had closed as ways to generate layover stops.

Top Bottom