• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

Mik2121

It's sort of frustrating in having to return to the game every minute, hence why I want to start getting into the 30-60 minutes of how long a flight will take.

Same here. While I enjoy managing short flights every now and then (before going to sleep, etc..), I wanna get into long flights so I can set them up during my breaks at work :p

Woke up to see that we're quickly losing ground in the world leaderboards. What has happened? :(

Yeah, I dunno. We've been losing ground all day. I've gone from #213 to #16 in our rankings in one day. We'll still get the top ten prize.

Edit: I'd still love for us to finish ahead of Polygon. I mean, c'mon...

Pandemic

Same here. While I enjoy managing short flights every now and then (before going to sleep, etc..), I wanna get into long flights so I can set them up during my breaks at work :p

Exactly, I'm slowly getting into the 30 minute trips, after a long wait though, heh.

Mik2121

Exactly, I'm slowly getting into the 30 minute trips, after a long wait though, heh.
Nice. My longest flights are about 10 minutes.. :( Right now I got all the airports in Japan and one in Russia (Vladivostok). My next airport will be Hong Kong so I can get some nice long flights, hopefully...
Woke up to see that we're quickly losing ground in the world leaderboards. What has happened? :(
I don't think is as much our problem, as it's the top 1 and 2 crews having TONS of people. Specially the first crew.. they gotta have TONS of people there... :/

Toucharcade has a whole site delicated to gaming on iOS Touch devices.

Neogaf has two sets of haters, ones who hate touch gaming altogether, and others who just hate iOS

SomethingAwful, on the other hand, might just be better than us.

Pandemic

Just looked at the leaderboard... - dayum, 80216 for TouchArcade, they're insane..

Any idea on which group/website is coming fourth, at 17,700, in which they're right behind us...

Mik2121

I just went to TA and their Pocket Planes thread has around 725 comments. We got over twice that, and yet they are so far ahead... guess they got their crew name going on around Twitter and all that? I believe someone here said someone else (maybe a nimblebit dev?) posted/RT'ed a tweet with the TA crew name.

We need to extend our crew!. For now all I can do is get all my friends here in JP to download the game and use our crew name.. but we all play in Japan and the current mission is like.. on the other side of the world (not really, but in the Pocket Planes' map it is).

Edit: Great, now two of my cities hit by snowstorms :( Sendai and Vladivostok. Though it seems like I can still get to Vladivostok... whatever :p

Really enjoying the game now. Didn't hook with me at first. I'm over in the States, on Lvl 9 with 8 planes and 7 airports. Fun game, more depth to it than Tiny Tower for me.

aP8kC.png

lul wut?!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Keep in mind the toucharcade crew is posted on the review page as well, so people just finding about the game or reading the review might join it not knowing where else to join. Pretty good deal if you want some prizes ~

sladeums

I just went to TA and their Pocket Planes thread has around 725 comments. We got over twice that, and yet they are so far ahead... guess they got their crew name going on around Twitter and all that? I believe someone here said someone else (maybe a nimblebit dev?) posted/RT'ed a tweet with the TA crew name.

We need to extend our crew!. For now all I can do is get all my friends here in JP to download the game and use our crew name.. but we all play in Japan and the current mission is like.. on the other side of the world (not really, but in the Pocket Planes' map it is).

Edit: Great, now two of my cities hit by snowstorms :( Sendai and Vladivostok. Though it seems like I can still get to Vladivostok... whatever :p

That thread over there also has 57k views vs 41k views here.

Their crew tag is also mentioned in the TA review which is linked all over the place.

Plus they are on top ... just by the nature of the competition they will likely continue to exponentially ramp up numbers as people jump on the winning team.

gotee12

Question:
Has Nimblebit coded in a limit to group sizes? What keeps everyone from joining a single group next event and exploiting the competitive "win bux" mechanic thereby breaking multiplayer?

Keep in mind the toucharcade crew is posted on the review page as well, so people just finding about the game or reading the review might join it not knowing where else to join. Pretty good deal if you want some prizes ~

I have been on #gafair for just 24 hours, and I will not be tempted away by profit!

We should buy an advertising banner on TA and advertise #GAFair. We could all tweet about #GAFair at a predetermined time and try and get it to trend.

The extra 50 Bux is tempting but shouldn't be enough to desert us. You can earn that in a day with longer flights, no problem.

Question:
Has Nimblebit coded in a limit to group sizes? What keeps everyone from joining a single group next event and exploiting the competitive "win bux" mechanic thereby effectively breaking multiplayer?

maybe they should set it up so it cost bux to change your group name, every change costing more and more over time to stop jumping.

jgminto

I think you guys are just a bunch of slackers. I've only been playing for a day now and I'm 11th! C'mon guys. We've got to band together and do what must be done. We must beat Hodapp!

Row

Banned
so basically for every global challenge you just need to join the ta squad for an auto win...seems like a silly system as is and I'm sure it'll change for the next one

so basically for every global challenge you just need to join the ta squad for an auto win...seems like a silly system as is and I'm sure it'll change for the next one

Yeah, but there's more than just winning. I don't care if I don't win 'cause I'll still get 50 Bux.

(It might be harder to resist if there's a bonus plane though, they should probably be available to the whole top ten when they come round)

Pandemic

I think I read somewhere that for people to get the bux from the group event, is that that they have had to contributed towards the score, by sending supplies. If you haven't sent anything, then you don't get anything.

I may be wrong though...

jgminto

Yeah, but there's more than just winning. I don't care if I don't win 'cause I'll still get 50 Bux.

(It might be harder to resist if there's a bonus plane though, they should probably be available to the whole top ten when they come round)

I'd say Top 5. It seems a bit easy to crack the Top 10 right now. I wonder if they will introduce challenges within each clan? Like the Top 5 players in the winning/Top 5 clans gets an extra bonus.

After an entire day of playing, my only advice to people just starting would be to bee-line for the biggest airports at the farthest distances. I began buying every airport in the Western US and it fucked me. I should've immediately shot to NYC or South America or across the Pacific.

Row

Banned
I think I read somewhere that for people to get the bux from the group event, is that that they have had to contributed towards the score, by sending supplies. If you haven't sent anything, then you don't get anything.

I may be wrong though...

think it's 5 minimum, which is nothing

Awww... pity. I cannot reach Calgary at all.

Next time!

This is me on my way to Calgary with Kangaroos:

7379237896_4d6046ba4b.jpg

Just need to grab Chicago and then I'm almost there! If you upgrade the range of the Kangaroo 5%, you can skip NY and go straight to Chicago. Or you could skip both red airports and pick up some 0.1m ones. The trip across is actually really cheap 'cause the airports are all rubbish so they cost hardly anything.

Rekwest

After an entire day of playing, my only advice to people just starting would be to bee-line for the biggest airports at the farthest distances. I began buying every airport in the Western US and it fucked me. I should've immediately shot to NYC or South America or across the Pacific.

Mi route is Calgary to Munbai.

Mik2121

Wow, you guys are flying quite far away!.

All my flights are within Japan except for Vladivostok and I'll buy Taipei in a few minutes (was thinking about getting Hong Kong but that might be too far for most of my planes)...

Argh.... It won't let me buy bux! Trying to buy the 200 pack, and it just says "connecting to server" and sits there forever. I've had to restart my iPad 2 twice now. That's the only time I've ever had to do that with a game!

Just need to grab Chicago and then I'm almost there! If you upgrade the range of the Kangaroo 5%, you can skip NY and go straight to Chicago. Or you could skip both red airports and pick up some 0.1m ones. The trip across is actually really cheap 'cause the airports are all rubbish so they cost hardly anything.

That's awesome. I don't think I have enough level ups/money to get me to there before it ends though.

I think I will stick around Europe, and save my money and new airports til the new global event kicks in, and I will race for that (hopefully it is a Euro/Africa based one!).

Row

Banned
Is it better to open more airports, or buy more planes to get cash faster?

use cash to buy airports, and instead of buying more playing slots upgrade your fleet instead with your bux by removing things like bearclaws and navigators and buying whatever is best in the market atm.

Fuel cost must be a lot with 3-4 space planes surely.

so people 10ish,

how do you use birchcraft efficiently? being limited to only blue/red cities is a pain, and it's pretty much just a faster kangaroo with longer distance (which doesn't really matter if you have a lot of small airports scattered around).

Top Bottom