• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

Hige

I know, I know.

Maybe my first two iOS games shouldn't have been Tiny Tower and Pocket Planes. Starting too see why some people don't like this direction for mobile games.

Nimblebit is just about the only company that doesn't require IAP in their freemium games. There's much worse to be found on the app store, with stuff hidden behind pay walls and constant badgering to buy currency.

senador

Banned
I know, I know.

Maybe my first two iOS games shouldn't have been Tiny Tower and Pocket Planes. Starting too see why some people don't like this direction for mobile games.

I hate nearly all F2P games, but NimbleBit does it honest and fair. The games are completely playable and fun without paying a thing, paying just gets stuff a tad faster. I honestly pay just to support these guys for making fun and honest games, not because the game "forces" me to. Most other F2P games are unfair and chest you into buying because it's totally unrealistic to progress in the games otherwise.

So one of my airports has been closed due to fog since this morning. I've been playing on and off throughout the day but 11 hours later it's still closed.

That has to be a bug right?

Two of my biggest planes are stuck there :(

Go into the menu and click on events. You should see the reason and for how long it will be closed.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
4e3065c4b7ee11e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg

Can't decide between NY and Chicago...

I don't like that the most effective method is to have fewer bigger airports. That seems less fun and I don't want to do it. I'd rather the game scale somehow so that the small ones are worth it. A coin bonus, auto pilot for small ones, something. I just find the other way boring, I guess I'll just keep playing my way with slower progress since its more fun to me.

Most effective in what way? In terms of money making? I think it boils down to managing a few red airports, a few blues, and a few blacks. It's sort of a balancing act. If you have an airport in USA and one in Asia, the value of that flight is going to be SICK.

The way you bank on that is to use intermediate airports to layover a group and to get the 25% bonus. It's tough to wrap your head around, but in due time, I think we'll start seeing some optimal setups.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are the flight crews like folding at home? We join a common team and contribute to it? Any negatives to joining a team, otherwise I'd just join gafair along with my son

Fourth are going to overtake us... :(
I'm outputting around 20-30 an hour, but I can't keep this up all day. :S It's just about hanging on to Top 10 now...
Equinox Onri

The parts at least.
That's the part I'm the least a fan of: it feels like I should be able to gift the whole plane as is, for a higher box cost. assembling and disassembling it just seems like too awkward just to do 3 gifts.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It's all my fault, I've slowed down on playing and even when I do, I'm giving up Calgary jobs to more profitable stuff :p

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Finally got my connection Glasgow-Reikjavik-Nuuk-Goose Bay-Thunder Bay-Calgary going! Gonna contribute hopefully 5 before the event ends :x

It's all my fault, I've slowed down on playing and even when I do, I'm giving up Calgary jobs to more profitable stuff :p
I'm tempted to do the same. I need more money at this point to have more planes operating, and it seems like as long as we stay within top 10, no harm no foul...

I may end up ditching by next global event to help out another group, they've got 3 active players, and are hovering around the bottom of top 30.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Few basic questions

- if I have two slots, I can fill them with items for two destinations and then fly to them in turn, right? Any negative to doing this? How is my range affected, or do I get refuelled at each stop?

- if I have two slots, can I fill one slot to a far destination, but stop off at an airport on the way to see if I can pick up more cargo? Any negative to doing this?

It's okay if the next event is around Asia, I will lead us to victory.

I am saving Bux and airport buys for wherever the next event happen - I can had in any direction as soon as it pops up. Would be nice if it was smack dab in the center of Europe. I got that covered.

Few basic questions

- if I have two slots, I can fill them with items for two destinations and then fly to them in turn, right? Any negative to doing this? How is my range affected, or do I get refuelled at each stop?

- if I have two slots, can I fill one slot to a far destination, but stop off at an airport on the way to see if I can pick up more cargo? Any negative to doing this?
Yes to both.

Negatives on the both: are they in the same direction? Distance = -$ from you, so the more out of the way, the more money you waste. Fueling is assumed to be in the cost of travelling (if you want to see what the cost is, just set the same empty plane to that same destination, you can see how much that flight actually costs)

With the second one, you may lose out if that place doesn't have more cargo, so that's more of a toss-up.

Smiley90

Does anyone have an Airvan C Body? :/ I'd be extremely grateful and would pay back as soon as I get more parts :( Always missing that one part grrrr

Can someone answer me this:
Does it compensate?, is there a lot more jobs for a blue one for example (is 46000 an upgrade)?
Would it be similar the number of jobs after the upgrade to a red airport?
46000 is a lot of coins and im not going to test it to be just a shitty upgrade and lose so much money.

I think there needs to be a notice when you are going to upgrade that tells you the exact increase, just like upgrading th planes.

I don't like that the most effective method is to have fewer bigger airports. That seems less fun and I don't want to do it. I'd rather the game scale somehow so that the small ones are worth it. A coin bonus, auto pilot for small ones, something. I just find the other way boring, I guess I'll just keep playing my way with slower progress since its more fun to me.

The luck based aspect for jobs needs to go, it doesnt work for small airports that can have 3 consecutive 4 minutes waves of not jobs whatsoever. It needs to be something like airports having jobs until you use them, putting 1 to x jobs (this thing lucked based but always a minum of 1) and adding jobs until the small airport is full (so it has a max small number) like this you are not wasting planes going to small airports.

A

sladeums

Watch out with over-zealous tapping.

I got a little aggressive and accidentally bought both DC and Philadelphia near simultaneously, putting my coin balance at -27,000.

Now none of my planes can fly because I can't buy gas...I can't shut my lesser airports because they have planes in them (that can't fly), and can't decommission several planes because they have people on them that can't disembark because I'm at my layover limit in several of those airports.

Fucccck

I got a little aggressive and accidentally bought both DC and Philadelphia near simultaneously, putting my coin balance at -27,000.

Now none of my planes can fly because I can't buy gas...I can't shut my lesser airports because they have planes in them (that can't fly), and can't decommission several planes because they have people on them that can't disembark because I'm at my layover limit in several of those airports.

Fucccck
o.0

Smiley90

Fucccck

You can cancel layovers by clicking on the little red "x" next to their icon at the airport. But I didn't even know you could get into negative money values oO

Well, we have no shot at this global event, but at least we're going to get top ten. I could've SWORE I saw a list of all upcoming global events when I began the game. Anyone else remember seeing this? If we knew what the next one was, we could all bee-line and be ready to crush. I just opened up a path to South America, just incase.

I'd love to see Nimble really flesh out the global event system. It's the most interesting part about this game and there's a TON of potential there.

Smiley90

Well, we have no shot at this global event, but at least we're going to get top ten. I could've SWORE I saw a list of all upcoming global events when I began the game. Anyone else remember seeing this? If we knew what the next one was, we could all bee-line and be ready to crush. I just opened up a path to South America, just incase.

I'd love to see Nimble really flesh out the global event system. It's the most interesting part about this game and there's a TON of potential there.

Maybe if you click on the "events" tab in the menu? Those aren't upcoming events though, they're just "other" events, and we haven't gotten a statement out of the devs yet to see what they actually do. So far all we know is that deliveries to them increases the counter up to 1000, but no idea what happens then...

sladeums

You can cancel layovers by clicking on the little red "x" next to their icon at the airport. But I didn't even know you could get into negative money values oO

Yeah, I'm not sure it'd even make enough difference.

Besides the two I just bought I only have 7 airports (all class 1 except Chicago), 7 class 1 planes, and 9 bux.

The only way out I can see is to sell back the airports I just bought or make the tough call to close Chicago.
It didn't irrevocably fuck me, but will erase about 30k in earnings.

I just got to 21st on the crew board, tho!

Toki767

I can't wait for the new event to go up so I can sell Calgary and be done with it. There's just nothing nearby it to make the trips worthwhile. Right now I'm just going from Los Angeles to Phoenix to Mexico City to New Orleans to Washington DC in a big circle.

Flunkie

Banned
I can't wait for the new event to go up so I can sell Calgary and be done with it. There's just nothing nearby it to make the trips worthwhile. Right now I'm just going from Los Angeles to Phoenix to Mexico City to New Orleans to Washington DC in a big circle.

Yup.

You get it? I've never gotten a gift so far so I wouldn't know what accepting one looks like/consists of.

Wait, wtf? It cost a buck? I thought you GOT a buck for gifting.

Edit: Also, who the fuck is Polygon?

To make it up to you, I'll be happy to donate a part in return. Let me know what you want and if I get it-it's yours.

I would love to see a metric that shows who worked hardest. I'd imagine we have a LOT less people doing this than Touch Arcade and Somethingawful. Polygon, on the other hand, surprises me. Although, The Verge isn't exactly a small site.

Top Bottom