• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

senador

Banned
That was the case for me for a while but they've been really ass to me in my last few sessions, sometimes having absolutely nothing to do with the route the other jobs provided. Still making trips there though, just got lucky and managed a full bonus on the way.

Yeah it's a lot of just luck for me, but also has to do with my nearby airports and airplane ranges and speeds. Works out for now.

I wonder how next event will play out since nearly everyone seems to be near Calgary. Hoping it evens out somehow to be more even and competitive. Hit it hard when it changes in a few hours guys!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This is weird but I kind of love the lag that happens on the iPhone 4 when I open the game and most/all my planes have landed. I just wait there listening to the coin sounds and looking at the number waiting for it to go up all at once. :lol

I suspect foul play.

Well...not foul as in unpleasant and inconstant as opposed to "cheating".

People just bailed and went and joined the Touch Arcade group. When all you need is to just quit your current crew, join the new one and rack up five assists through helping with the event...yeah...what I thought was an interesting idea just turns out to be something silly because people can't not be skeevy.

Eventually...it's foolish for everyone playing to not join the most successful flight crew.

This is weird but I kind of love the lag that happens on the iPhone 4 when I open the game and most/all my planes have landed. I just wait there listening to the coin sounds and looking at the number waiting for it to go up all at once. :lol

Ha. I enjoy that too.

For the record, that lag happens on the iPad 2 as well. I almost wish they'd create a splash screen for re-entering the app when that happens of something like a bitizen sitting in a pile of coins and bux, with the text 'CALCULATING ALL YOUR NEW MONEY, RICH GUY' above it.

Although I am a little worried about the lag once I start getting dozes of planes.

People just bailed and went and joined the Touch Arcade group. When all you need is to just quit your current crew, join the new one and rack up five assists through helping with the event...yeah...what I thought was an interesting idea just turns out to be something silly because people can't not be skeevy.

Eventually...it's foolish for everyone playing to not join the most successful flight crew.

There's a very simple fix for this. The same flight crew can't win twice in a row-AND you can't change your flight crew.

Pandemic

I was looking at Game Center leaderboards, and I checked the Peak Airline Value, most people are in the 1-2 billion range, yet the person coming first, by the name of ''georgewhite51'', has 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 coins.....

Why aren't we in first? Well let's see...

1. GAF members treat iOS gaming like shit.
2. We're sort of like a club that not everyone can be a part of. "I can't be a member without a paid email? Fuck those guys!"
3. Since we are members, We think we're more popular than we really are...

I dont think were losing cause others are cheating or even jumping ship, but I do think those jumping ship should get their whole game started over for lack of loyalty.

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego and Pocket Planes have legitimately taught me approximately 97% of my entire knowledge of geography.

For the west coast flyers, this route gives me 1k+ profit with each trip(3 and 4 seaters, no layovers). Seattle to Lima. Stops in LA and Panama City. Once I get calgary out it can only get better.

71image.jpg

Koodo

Banned
I assume events happening in a certain city means demand is high? Or is there any other prize for participating in those non-global events?

Just noticed there's an event in Oaxaca and that's right next to one of my airports, so I'm sending planes there.

After starting out in Japan, I saved my money and bought Shanghai, while closing down Sapporo. At this point, I'm almost ready to buy my next Class 3 airport.

I'm leaning towards working on buying up all the Class 3 airports around the Northern China/Korea/Japan region to have a nice network of high volume airports.. or, I could extend my network down towards Guangzhou, then buy Manila and Bangkok, while purchasing some Class 2 airports along the eastern Asian coast to form a conga line.

Which do you folks think is better in terms of money making for the next few days?

Mik2121

After starting out in Japan, I saved my money and bought Shanghai, while closing down Sapporo. At this point, I'm almost ready to buy my next Class 3 airport.

I'm leaning towards working on buying up all the Class 3 airports around the Northern China/Korea/Japan region to have a nice network of high volume airports.. or, I could extend my network down towards Guangzhou, then buy Manila and Bangkok, while purchasing some Class 2 airports along the eastern Asian coast to form a conga line.

Which do you folks think is better in terms of money making for the next few days?

I have something similar. Or not...? Right now my airports are:

- Sapporo (about to close it down as soon as I purchase my next big airport)
- Tokyo
- Osaka
- Nagasaki (same as Sapporo)
- Taipei
- Guangzhou

I will go for Bangkok, Beijing or Manila next. Haven't decided.. but probably Bangkok and then extend over India, eventually Eastern Europe, Europe, then go all the way up and hopefully one day reach the Americas...

ksimm

Well that's it for Calgary, with a small contribution of 61 jobs by my Berlin airline. I've stayed true to GAFAIR and here to stay!
They really should lock the group or do some sort of loyaly bonus to stop people switching?

Fuu

117 deliveries for me, #105 at the moment. Not a lot, but I couldn't get to Calgary from day one. Still have two planes headed there but I won't be able to send many more before I stop playing for today. 50 bux get.

Locking people to a crew will stop switching but I don't think it will make much of a difference, people will just opt to start in TA's crew instead since it will certainly keep the top spot as the most popular for the following events. As long as there's a #1 best prize that's where most players will flock to.

I have something similar. Or not...? Right now my airports are:

- Sapporo (about to close it down as soon as I purchase my next big airport)
- Tokyo
- Osaka
- Nagasaki (same as Sapporo)
- Taipei
- Guangzhou

I will go for Bangkok, Beijing or Manila next. Haven't decided.. but probably Bangkok and then extend over India, eventually Eastern Europe, Europe, then go all the way up and hopefully one day reach the Americas...

India sounds good go for, too - I'll probably conquer South East Asia first though, just out of personal preference.

Thanks!

eeenmachine

a developer of very popular and awesome games
117 deliveries for me, #105 at the moment. Not a lot, but I couldn't get to Calgary from day one. Still have two planes headed there but I won't be able to send many more before I stop playing for today. 50 bux get.

Locking people to a crew will stop switching but I don't think it will make much of a difference, people will just opt to start in TA's crew instead since it will certainly keep the top spot as the most popular for the following events. As long as there's a #1 best prize that's where most players will flock to.

What if the winner prize was only marginally better than top 10?

Fuu

That could work out better. One of the ideas in the thread was having the same prize for the top 3 or 5 crews, but something similar to what FollowSmoke suggested is interesting too and would definitely encourage the challenge.

In any case, people who want the maximum amount of bux will always start at the most popular crew and there's really not much that can be done about that. Stuff like limiting the amount of players per crew and password locks are just too much imo, so making the prize gap smaller and locking the switching seems to be a good solution.

marginally won't get people to switch.

even if 2nd is 99 bux vs 100.

maybe you should add some kind of multiplier or variable or something that gives smaller groups a fighting chance as well.

Just something to allow people to think "Hmmm should I join a smaller crew, or a bigger one?"

Currently it's either join a gaming site you have affiliation with, or just join Toucharcade for 100 bux for free. Which I assume wasn't y'alls original game plan.

Flunkie

Banned
Whenever we were all super into doing it "for the group," that was some of the best fun I've had. That plan goes to crap if everyone just goes for the bux by joining TA.

Top Bottom