• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

Sloane

Banned
Could someone explain how layovers work? Also any important tips? I'm level 7 now.
What do you mean? You throw the people / cargo out of your plane and have another plane pick them / it up. Makes sense if their destinations are a bunch of smaller airports, for example you could have one big plane always fly from New York to London or whatever and then use a couple of smaller planes to get them from London to Brussels, Munich, Amsterdam, whatever.

yogloo

God this is tiny tower all over again. I can't stop playing. This is actually better than tiny tower. Tiny tower got kinda mundane after a week or so because there is no sense of progression.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Just fired up the app after ~20 minutes away, and my progress was gone and the tutorial started over. I forced-closed it. Fingers crossed the next time I start my progress is back... :/

Just fired up the app after ~20 minutes away, and my progress was gone and the tutorial started over. I forced-closed it. Fingers crossed the next time I start my progress is back... :/

oh shit. a game destroying bug that happened to a game journalist?

that shit never happens!

For those of you hesitant about Australia, I'm based entirely out of North America, and I just shut down my two smallest airports, put one small plane in my hanger, then opened Brisbane and the closest tiny airport near it, relocated my small plane there, and ferried over 5 challenge items within twenty minutes.

I think all I have to do is get the mystery parts or whatever, but that doesn't seem like it'll be a problem.

senador

Banned
I might do that in the morning Mike. Lots of coins though just to do it. :/

Is anyone taking Rio to Lagos to get across the Atlantic? Looks like the Birchcraft will reach so that'll be a route I'm going to try.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any way to find out distances between airports?

My dreams of overseas expansions we're crushed when I opened London to find out no plane I had could reach there from US or Santo Domingo.

When you get capacity, consider opening a few European cities, just so you get some use from London. Plus it'll give you more destinations for transatlantic flights when you get them

Edit: ah, you opened Berlin, cool

Is anyone taking Rio to Lagos to get across the Atlantic? Looks like the Birchcraft will reach so that'll be a route I'm going to try.
It's actually not that much. Brisbane is a major city, so that's probably something around 20 or 30,000 coins, but the city above it costs next to nothing, and you'll get some temporary coins for the cities you close (if you have to do that in the first place), and it only costs 1 or 2 bux to move your plane there. Very doable.

The worst part of it is when you're in America and you see an item for Brisbaine and it's worth 9,000 coins alone, and just for a moment you get really excited until you realize it ain't happening.

When you get capacity, consider opening a few European cities, just so you get some use from London. Plus it'll give you more destinations for transatlantic flights when you get them

that's my plan. halfway through lvl 13 atm. Should have like 100k saved by the time I lvl.

Goredrinker

Neo Member
Will join tonight (Aus based). Level 9 now. Hopefully even though I will be off wifi except for around an hour a night it will still update the days progress? Regardless every bit helps.

For those of you hesitant about Australia, I'm based entirely out of North America, and I just shut down my two smallest airports, put one small plane in my hanger, then opened Brisbane and the closest tiny airport near it, relocated my small plane there, and ferried over 5 challenge items within twenty minutes.

I think all I have to do is get the mystery parts or whatever, but that doesn't seem like it'll be a problem.

Thanks! I just did this per your advice.

It should be amazing if you could be able to upgrade an airport to "blue" or even "red". The fact that is based only on the population of the city makes some akward "blue-red" airport positions.

For example, having 2 blue airports inside Spain, but not having a single one in Italy, making trips to the east very complicated because there is no any blue airport from Barcelona (there is Berlin, but is way too on the north) to Istambul.

no angel

Is the Event Ranking (or whatever it's called) down for anyone else? Haven't been able to check it all day.

Mines been super spotty, even when it works it tells me my leader board position but won't display the board in detail.

Just to echo your previous comment about opening up a couple of airports in aus even of you're not based there, this really is worth it. If there aren't any jobs from Brisbane back to your second airport just fly back and take the hit for fuel, you'll make it back eventually. I've also decided to keep a spare plane in the hanger for other world events tht aren't within my usual area of operations. I figure once I close Brisbane and Adelaide the money I get back will mean its hardly cost me anything at all to contribute to the event.

Running 7 planes now and accumulating about 5-7k per trip, looking forward to getting my next red airport - Kinshasa I think.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
i3oN6ccGiy8JQ.jpg
My Europe - China link is complete! Using capital cities all the way except for link between Karachi and Shanghai, using Lhasa instead of Dhaka there for temp. cost saving purposes. :p
(Link goes: London - Istanbul - Tehran - Karachi - Lhasa - Shanghai).

Can finally ferry these "5 bux people" from Shanghai to London. ^^

Takes a Kangaroo 1h 17min to travel the entire route! But they do bring in 2000 per run though.

Also love that the distance between Barcelona and Istanbul is exactly 840 miles so that my Airvans can travel direct there.

Chopper

Is there a limit to how many times you can upgrade everything?

Also, does anyone know if a maxed range Equinox could reach New York from Madrid?!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Anyone happen to have a Mohawk-M engine to spare? Does it cost to gift? Reason I'm asking is because I'm only getting Controls and Body parts over and over. ^^ GC: Tunesmith

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just tried with a small city. No

I do not know if I could go Blue to Red though - too scared to try with my small amount of coins.

I don't think there is any problem buying blue or red airports (I just bought London), the problem is when you buy later class planes that won't land in black or blue airports. As long as your planes are class 1, you can land them anywhere.

We're gonna be falling back to 6th shortly I think :(

Got 3 red cities now. I'm just waiting to level up to 14 so I can get a trans-atlantic flight on the go.

Just bought Adelaide too now. Brisbane and Rockhampton alone wasn't enough. Means me European operation is pretty much at a stand still though. Gonna save up for London and then try and create a long route either across to China or across to the Americas.

Has anyone made a link between New York and London? Which plane are you using for the link between the two cities?

I have both cities but no planes that can reach yet. I believe it's the Pearjet that can, which is available apparently from Lvl 14. I just need another 125k to get there :D

Actually that can be my goal for the day. Get a Pearjet up and running. I'm over 600 jobs for GAFair now and it's running beautifully, so I don't need to concentrate a whole lot on that.

I have both cities but no planes that can reach yet. I believe it's the Pearjet that can, which is available apparently from Lvl 14. I just need another 125k to get there :D

Actually that can be my goal for the day. Get a Pearjet up and running. I'm over 600 jobs for GAFair now and it's running beautifully, so I don't need to concentrate a whole lot on that.
Ok thanks. Not too far away from level 14. Need more money to buy the 2 city first though lol :)

Goredrinker

Neo Member
I've been smashing the Brisbane runs for around the last 90 mins. No change to my ranking at all. Its kinda weird. another 30 then I'll be off wifi. Hopefully offline will count as well.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Not being able to fly to the left on the map is a real bummer. Especially since I started in NA.

Just start up 2 separate operations when you can, then meet in the middle :p It's really not that much of a deal breaker. I'm in the US, now expanding into Europe and have a separate base in Australia. I'll be able to join em all up at some point.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I've gotta be honest, this game is starting to wear thin for me. I feel like I'm on my way out.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've gotta be honest, this game is starting to wear thin for me. I feel like I'm on my way out.

I'm not letting it consume me, haha. I can see it being a chore and a bore if I focused on it super intensely. But I booted up 3D Dot Game Heroes for the first time last night and got sucked in. I magically forgot about my planes for hours. :p

Prezhulio

played tiny tower obsessively till 125 floors, then lost my save and could never retrieve it from icloud. really really turned me off from tt.

the icloud integration seems much better in this (based on back and forth play from iphone and ipad).

also, the game is great. deeper than tiny tower, but still simple concept with gratifying grind. i know i shouldn't play it this much, but it's too hard to resist. and i sometimes watch for the bucks flying in the wind :)

great job nimblebit, another ios-goty worthy title it would seem, looking forward to your updates down the road!

Rekwest

I'm working this route(NY-Miami-Rio-Lagos-Europe now:

PearlJet2.jpg

Hige

For anyone wondering, the Pearjet at level 14 can make the trip from London to New York. You have to max out the range (three upgrades) to make it. So in total it costs 98 bux to buy all the parts, build it, and upgrade it. Start saving those bux!

eeenmachine

a developer of very popular and awesome games

Super sorry, do you know if you were running the latest version? If you do end up restarting email ian@nimblebit.com your G: number on the settings screen of the game and I can give you a big head start.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Next level I'll be able to ferry from London to Brisbane, able to reach Darwin via Manila. Cash raking in and so are bux due to the vast amount of 6-7 bux drops that wants to go from China > EU and vice versa.

Meier

It's interesting how you have to really be careful about overextending yourself. I get the option to fly from . My most profitable airplane (Navigator-C, "NV001") gets about 1,700 coins per hour due to the fact that I focus on small routes with low fuel costs and 2-person/2-cargo bonuses.

As enticing as it is to get 600 gold, you have to be careful about taking on a high value job if you don't have multiple items for the location. Muscat to Algiers would only yield me about 20 gold and take 20-30 minutes.

Chopper

It's interesting how you have to really be careful about overextending yourself. I get the option to fly from . My most profitable airplane (Navigator-C, "NV001") gets about 1,700 coins per hour due to the fact that I focus on small routes with low fuel costs and 2-person/2-cargo bonuses.

As enticing as it is to get 600 gold, you have to be careful about taking on a high value job if you don't have multiple items for the location. Muscat to Algiers would only yield me about 20 gold and take 20-30 minutes.
Yeah. I'm still trying to get my head round it all. Currently it's not very clear what you're paying out and why. And you can't see your profit from the loading menu. The stats should be a lot more clear.

Top Bottom