• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What's everyone's stats?

738a355ab94e11e18bb812313804a181_7.jpg

Meier

Yeah. I'm still trying to get my head round it all. Currently it's not very clear what you're paying out and why. And you can't see your profit from the loading menu. The stats should be a lot more clear.

The weight of the plane affects the fuel costs.. so a Kangaroo with it's weight of 4 Tons and slow speed (longer turnaround) can end up costing a lot over lengthy distances if you don't get the 4-job 25% bonus. So the early planes with their 1-2 ton weight and short distances can be worth good money.

Pachael

Pearjet is so, so close, as well as the transatlantic flight! I think I'll reach my short-term goal of Auckland to Honolulu (end to end) soon, then I'll focus on reaching down Sth America and up East Asia.

eeenmachine

a developer of very popular and awesome games
The weight of the plane affects the fuel costs.. so a Kangaroo with it's weight of 4 Tons and slow speed (longer turnaround) can end up costing a lot over lengthy distances if you don't get the 4-job 25% bonus. So the early planes with their 1-2 ton weight and short distances can be worth good money.

The factors in flight cost are weight AND speed. This is the reason I prefer AeroEagles over PearJets, their slower speed actually makes them slightly more efficient.

Meier

The factors in flight cost are weight AND speed. This is the reason I prefer AeroEagles over PearJets, their slower speed actually makes them slightly more efficient.

Very interesting. Does a higher max speed cost more than a lower max speed then? I haven't compared the numbers formally, just going off my experience.

I could tell the weight had a big affect though due to the ANAN being fairly expensive to fly despite its short range in comparison to say a Wallaby or Navigator.. I guess it's a bit faster than them too though isn't it.

What does notification of new jobs mean?

If you check the passenger or cargo list for a city, you'll see different selections available when new jobs shows. This can be handy if you need 1 more of a job to get your bonus for a plane.

Meier

Okay, I just tested it.. upgraded a Mohawk's weight and a flight dropped in price by 20 gold, then upgraded it's speed and the price went up 12. So that answers my question regarding eeen's previous post. In my scenario, Kiev to Tehran actually is going to take 12 minutes and lose me money despite the fact it isn't that far of a flight. Tricky stuff. The following flight on to Kabul makes it overall worth about 532 gold though.

Meier

Any idea why the lines that plots your progress on your stats page isn't showing up for me? I'm on level 9.

I think it starts at level 10 or so. Mine was like a blip initially (almost looked like a stuck pixel) whenever it appeared but now I do have the curves as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's interesting how you have to really be careful about overextending yourself. I get the option to fly from . My most profitable airplane (Navigator-C, "NV001") gets about 1,700 coins per hour due to the fact that I focus on small routes with low fuel costs and 2-person/2-cargo bonuses.

As enticing as it is to get 600 gold, you have to be careful about taking on a high value job if you don't have multiple items for the location. Muscat to Algiers would only yield me about 20 gold and take 20-30 minutes.

I'm fairly happy to break even if it keeps my planes in the air

Chopper

I'm fairly happy to break even if it keeps my planes in the air
That's what I find. I'll even sacrifice money is it nets me a buck or two. Planning your joirney and comparing stats is a little too cumbersome to bother thinking about it any harder.

Also, this game would be much more compelling if it multi-tasked properly. The inital loading time is pretty brutal.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That's what I find. I'll even sacrifice money is it nets me a buck or two. Planning your joirney and comparing stats is a little too cumbersome to bother thinking about it any harder.

Also, this game would be much more compelling if it multi-tasked properly. The inital loading time is pretty brutal.

Hmm? Mine seems to work fine. What issues are you having with multitasking?

Welp consider me an addicted member of #GAFAIR.

Anyone else start out in the Caribbean region? Panama, Havana, and Santo Domingo are great, but it feels like I'm only inching forward. My next airport will be Miami so that will open up the US for me.

I love the market and plane building aspect of the game. New plane slots are too expensive for me right now so I'm scrapping my 1-seaters for better planes.

I haven't upgraded any planes yet. Is it really worth it in the beginning?

Meier

I love the market and plane building aspect of the game. New plane slots are too expensive for me right now so I'm scrapping my 1-seaters for better planes.

I would say that until you have some 2-seaters, it isn't worth it since the components of the new planes are going to cost about the same as actually upgrading your existing planes. The 2-seaters/2-cargo slot planes can be very profitable in the long run but a 1-seater is definitely only a stepping stone until you can replace it.

I'm almost at Brisbane. Having stretched myself to Calgary from Europe I'm having to extend the other way through India so it's taking a while!

damn, only like 2 lvls higher and ya have like double my airline value D:

What's your secret money route?

Bring stuff from Seattle to Delhi and back. I use NYC and London as hubs and fly packages from the west coast of the US to New York and then bring them across the pond to London where I have another small fleet of aircraft that fly them throughout Europe and recently into Asia.

Apeboy

Welp consider me an addicted member of #GAFAIR.

Anyone else start out in the Caribbean region? Panama, Havana, and Santo Domingo are great, but it feels like I'm only inching forward. My next airport will be Miami so that will open up the US for me.

That's where I started, it will get rolling once you open Miami. There is a science fair in Cancun right now but not exactly sure if there is any benefit other than increased traffic going there.

I'm level 13 and went ahead and maxed Miami upgrades as that is the hub for me from Chicago and NYC (and eventually Europe) to the Caribbean. Caracas is decent as well as its blue and close to Santo Domingo.

This ATL closure for fog is killing me. It's been like 16 RL hours at least. Should I expect 24? Is that normal? If I knew that I would have just closed it.

Hige

This ATL closure for fog is killing me. It's been like 16 RL hours at least. Should I expect 24? Is that normal? If I knew that I would have just closed it.
It's a bug that the devs know about. Weather effects aren't supposed to last that long. You can check the events tab to see how long it'll stay closed. If you have planes stuck there you can put them in the hangar and spend a couple bux to place them somewhere else for right now. :/

That's where I started, it will get rolling once you open Miami. There is a science fair in Cancun right now but not exactly sure if there is any benefit other than increased traffic going there.

I'm level 13 and went ahead and maxed Miami upgrades as that is the hub for me from Chicago and NYC (and eventually Europe) to the Caribbean. Caracas is decent as well as its blue and close to Santo Domingo.

Yeah I'm definitely throwing all my money to Miami. Raking it in in Cancun too in the meantime. Santo Domingo to Cancun is a good money maker right now.

oh, what lvl is that lovely ship?

I just got access to it at 16. I haven't bought one yet, but I'm curious if it will make it to London from the US East Coast. I don't think it will even after it is maxed out.

On a side note, I really enjoy the naming of the aircraft because you can pretty much figure out what planes they are supposed to be:

Aeroeagle = Falcon
Pearjet = Learjet
Birchcraft = Beechcraft
etc...

eeenmachine

a developer of very popular and awesome games
I just got access to it at 16. I haven't bought one yet, but I'm curious if it will make it to London from the US East Coast. I don't think it will even after it is maxed out.

On a side note, I really enjoy the naming of the aircraft because you can pretty much figure out what planes they are supposed to be:

Aeroeagle = Falcon
Pearjet = Learjet
Birchcraft = Beechcraft
etc...

Not sure about London, but they can certainly hit Madrid.

Here's my current setup:

AvqDH7_CQAAfVp3.jpg:large

Jakarta acts as my layover hub between my class 1 & 2 planes. Need to buy a new plane next, then open up egypt. I would like to have the line go all the way to london by the end of the challenge.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It should be amazing if you could be able to upgrade an airport to "blue" or even "red". The fact that is based only on the population of the city makes some akward "blue-red" airport positions.

For example, having 2 blue airports inside Spain, but not having a single one in Italy, making trips to the east very complicated because there is no any blue airport from Barcelona (there is Berlin, but is way too on the north) to Istambul.

You can easily reach Istanbul from Berlin though?

Apeboy

Yeah I'm definitely throwing all my money to Miami. Raking it in in Cancun too in the meantime. Santo Domingo to Cancun is a good money maker right now.

Just don't make the mistake I did, opened NYC too early. That's a long flight.

I want Pocket Ships. After I dominate the air ways I want give a shot at being shipping magnate.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Just don't make the mistake I did, opened NYC too early. That's a long flight.

I want Pocket Ships. After I dominate the air ways I want give a shot at being shipping magnate.

Pocket Space Ships, expand to other planets and into different galaxies.

Meier

Here's my current setup:

AvqDH7_CQAAfVp3.jpg:large

Jakarta acts as my layover hub between my class 1 & 2 planes. Need to buy a new plane next, then open up egypt. I would like to have the line go all the way to london by the end of the challenge.

Very nice! I have not yet played this on my iPad but that looks sumptuous. Nice job with the resolution by NB.

I abandoned Australia unfortunately because there's just no way I can connect it yet to my routes before like I could do with Calgary. I am only as far east as Kabul from my European starting point and that's already stretching my limits. I had Brisbane, Cairns and Adelaide but half the time Cairns and Adelaide would only have jobs for other cities way off in BFE so it just didn't make sense for me fiscally to keep it open.

Top Bottom