• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

jambo

Ausgaffer checking in!

Missus and I are both using the GAFAIR group for the challenge, and we've both got airlines based in Australia.

We've both been layovering people and cargo left, right and centre so that we can just pump flights to Brisbane.

I'm lvl 11 and she's somewhere around 7-8.

Didn't give a shit about closed airports until Mexico city closed and my entire fleet got locked in while I managed layovers and transfers...what.the.fuck. An hour down....

Chanser

dtm6E.jpg

Nimblebit next game? :p

I decided to advertise Brisbane for 26k coins to increase demand. It looks like it is helping slightly - I got four Brisbane jobs in one city when New Jobs came in. Still not sure if it is worth it in the long run, as no other cities has Brisbane jobs this round. :/

I was going to try this, since Brisbane doesn't pop up that much as it is. If its only "slightly" though I'll use those coins for airports instead.

I was going to try this, since Brisbane doesn't pop up that much as it is. If its only "slightly" though I'll use those coins for airports instead.

After having it for a while, I have noticed there is definitely more Brisbane Jobs show up. The advert does not gurantee more jobs, but I guess it improves the odds of whatever diceroll is happening behind the scenes for them to pop up. I would recommend it.

The advert only lasts for 8 hours though (realtime), so if you do it, make sure you do it when you will be playing for a long stretch

So I have a problem. I've got my network of class 1 planes in west Australia, then I expanded with a class 2 flight from Singapore to Sydney, yet that flight is still a money loser for me. What am I doing wrong?

Lkr

i don't think i can ever get to brisbane in time for this event. i'm only on the west coast US and I have no class 2 planes available

dkeane

i don't think i can ever get to brisbane in time for this event. i'm only on the west coast US and I have no class 2 planes available
I just put a plane in the hanger and opened Brisbane and the closest airport. Easy to participate. Unless you just started.

Wait a second, Atlanta is going to be fogged in for 24 hours? What the hell!?!?!?!

yep. Motherfucker. And naturally every other airport has like a dozen jobs to atlanta >.>"

Am so glad no planes were there when that happened lol.

It's kinda funny because I can't recall any super foggy days in atlanta for the past ~20 years I've lived there ;P

It's kinda funny because I can't recall any super foggy days in atlanta for the past ~20 years I've lived there ;P

Yeah, seriously! I could believe Seattle, LA, or San Fran being fogged in, but Atlanta? I've got one plane stuck there, but the biggest problem is that it's one of my more centrally located airports right now for my "domestic" flights.

eeenmachine

a developer of very popular and awesome games
yep. Motherfucker. And naturally every other airport has like a dozen jobs to atlanta >.>"

Am so glad no planes were there when that happened lol.

Yeah, weather isn't supposed to ever last that long. Should be fixed in the next update.

Yeah, seriously! I could believe Seattle, LA, or San Fran being fogged in, but Atlanta? I've got one plane stuck there, but the biggest problem is that it's one of my more centrally located airports right now for my "domestic" flights.

can't you 'remove' the plane from the airport and plop it back on another airport with a bux or 2?

And yeah, now I see the benefit of having a few airports around instead of just buying 1 airport every few chunks of land, shit can fuck up your route pretty easily.

Yeah, weather isn't supposed to ever last that long. Should be fixed in the next update.

nice. Shame that update probably won't hit within the 24 hrs ;P

Speaking of weather, any chance of weather effects like rain/hail appearing in an future update for flights? It would be a pretty cool cosmetic effect.

Apeboy

Any way to find out distances between airports?

My dreams of overseas expansions we're crushed when I opened London to find out no plane I had could reach there from US or Santo Domingo.

Any way to find out distances between airports?

My dreams of overseas expansions we're crushed when I opened London to find out no plane I had could reach there from US or Santo Domingo.

It does seem the plane you get at lvl 14 (with some upgrades) can make the trip from NY to London.

And I believe the old map trick of using a ruler can work with this lol.

It's weird I've only spent 20 minutes playing the game today. I had to help a friend move then I went straight to work. It's probably a good thing, that game is crack and I'm a cracker. Probably won't make the gaf top ten this challenge. Will still be fun climbing the charts, so watch out people with more than 16 deliveries.

Apeboy

It does seem the plane you get at lvl 14 (with some upgrades) can make the trip from NY to London.

And I believe the old map trick of using a ruler can work with this lol.

Heh, I went and grabbed a pair of dividers...

I just set up a London to Berlin independent operation. Dilutes my job list in the US and Caribbean but have a foothold in Europe, now I just need a plane to connect them.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm sitting on 150 bux atm, waiting for better planes :x berlin-calgary trips give like 5 bux per passenger yesssss

Flunkie

Banned
This needs to be in the OP. The world is flat; you can't get to Japan by going west from California or Hawaii, and vice versa.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I hope the next update increases the variety of responses in the bit book. I spend so much time going through it - so awesome!

senador

Banned
I don't like that the most effective method is to have fewer bigger airports. That seems less fun and I don't want to do it. I'd rather the game scale somehow so that the small ones are worth it. A coin bonus, auto pilot for small ones, something. I just find the other way boring, I guess I'll just keep playing my way with slower progress since its more fun to me.

Most effective in what way? In terms of money making? I think it boils down to managing a few red airports, a few blues, and a few blacks. It's sort of a balancing act. If you have an airport in USA and one in Asia, the value of that flight is going to be SICK.

The way you bank on that is to use intermediate airports to layover a group and to get the 25% bonus. It's tough to wrap your head around, but in due time, I think we'll start seeing some optimal setups.

I'm coming back to these posts. I've changed my mind. The game would be just too nuts to play the way I was thinking. It is far better to build lines between bigger airports and focus on events. I was originally only thinking of global events, but the other events change often and give you plenty to work toward. The added focus and extra jobs added with events really helps. So, I've closed many airports and shifted focus, and the game is going more smoothly now. I'll be adding more red airports, and some blues, and only opening blacks for events then closing them after.

I've taken first in GAFAir again. Looks like at this pace wer're safe for top 10, but wont be fourth at this point.

I'm trying my best to help #GAFAIR, I refuse to use Bux to speed up things though, and I am still 20,000+ coins from another plane slot

I am at #16 overall on our team.

I got my first 1000+ coin flight though. Hooray!

senador

Banned
I hope the next update increases the variety of responses in the bit book. I spend so much time going through it - so awesome!

Yeah, that'd be cool. With Tiny Tower, I eventually quit reading them because they were the same-ish. Adding more in with each update would keep it fresh and fun.

I've taken first in GAFAir again. Looks like at this pace wer're safe for top 10, but wont be fourth at this point.

I'm trying my best to help #GAFAIR, I refuse to use Bux to speed up things though, and I am still 20,000+ coins from another plane slot

I am at #16 overall on our team.

I got my first 1000+ coin flight though. Hooray!

I'd help, but I can't this round. I'm in the west half of North America, and a bit of South America. I'll be able to hit anything there next time, and maybe be over to the other side of the world by then even. I refuse to uproot my game just for the challenge though, that's not why I am playing.

Oh god.. Tiny Tower levels of addiction for this game kicking in early..

Seriously. Its a good and bad. Bad because I can't quit playing and I'm letting it interfere with my life a bit. Good because I missed Tiny Tower and this is hitting the spot for me. Its a lot of fun.

Top Bottom