• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Using my two brand new Pearjets sure is costly. Need to reduce their weight asap!

Oh, are they expensive to run? Surely it must get offset by the shorter distance compared to going the long way round?

I just bought dallas which opens the US up nicely, I can now run across the states in airvans and Mohawks. Wondering whether to not bother with the direct route across the Atlantic if it messes with profits.

Hige

With Pearjets you just have to make sure to get the 25% bonus. The fuel cost is something like ~5k from LA to Tokyo, so your profit is about 7 to 8k per trip. I don't use layovers anymore, though (at level 18), so there's probably a better way to maximize Pearjets. I find it less of a hassle to just fill up my planes as the jobs refresh instead of managing layovers.

The more I think about layovers, the more I can't see the point of them. A 16 seater plane weighs 16 tons, a 4 seater plane weighs 4 tons, and so the profit will be the same whether you take 16 people on one big plane or four small ones. If that's the case, there doesn't really seem to be any point in making effort with the big planes at all because they'd be far harder to fill and you may as well make complete journeys with decently ranger smaller planes.

Strangely, I got my reward for Calgary but not Brisbane. I definitely delivered a ton of jobs, too.

EDIT: Ha, never mind, it popped up like literally a minute after posting this!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The more I think about layovers, the more I can't see the point of them. A 16 seater plane weighs 16 tons, a 4 seater plane weighs 4 tons, and so the profit will be the same whether you take 16 people on one big plane or four small ones. If that's the case, there doesn't really seem to be any point in making effort with the big planes at all because they'd be far harder to fill and you may as well make complete journeys with decently ranger smaller planes.

I started doing layovers because my birchcraft can't do the north run due to Nuuk etc being class 1. So I pile everyone into new York and then use smaller planes to ferry across the Atlantic. But now I have an interim stop with Dallas, I can just take my smaller planes all the way.

I guess larger planes means less planes, slots get expensive quickly. So you could have hubs in each continent. But then personal time management becomes an issue. It's easier to have flights that take a few hours that you can leave alone, rather than babysitting them every 20 mins. Plus layover capacity will run out quickly with the really big planes

eeenmachine

a developer of very popular and awesome games
Big request for next update: Can you guys please make the drop-down notification (there are new jobs, there's new stuff in the market, etc.) come down not over the VERY TOP BAR (the one that lists all the important stuff like the city you're in, the number of seats available, when the jobs update), but over the BAR BELOW IT (which is just a list of headers that we already have memorized: Destination, Item, Payment).

It's getting frustrating trying to figure out how to load my plane when a notification comes down every ten seconds, and I lose my count.

Or perhaps the notification bar could simply slide down and push the information bar over the header bar?

Thanks for the suggestion. For now, if it is anything but a flight landing you can tap it and it will go away.

Assuming you can hit the same range with the smaller plane, then yes, in fact, it's preferable with the smaller plane because you'd have a easier time to max out the layover multiplier.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Assuming you can hit the same range with the smaller plane, then yes, in fact, it's preferable with the smaller plane because you'd have a easier time to max out the layover multiplier.

And exactly that is the reason why I'm keepijg 3seaters around, even some 2 seaters.

Hige

That's assuming fuel cost scales linearly as weight increases, right?

Regardless, I was starting to question layovers because whatever plane is setting them up is missing out on the 25% bonus. Unless you're using cost efficient (slow) planes, I'm not sure the benefit outweighs the loss of the 25% bonus from the first plane.

Anyway, I had an idea for Ian and Dave. I think it would be interesting to have an auto-pilot feature for low capacity planes. For example, you could spend bux to upgrade a 1 capacity plane like the Warhawk to have it make trips overnight. That way there's some incentive to use those planes, but new players couldn't set all their planes to auto-pilot right away since it requires bux. Maybe you could upgrade the pilot so they earn more coins (perhaps a % of airline value), that way mid/high level players can still get some use out of them as well.

I feel like I'm missing out on coins when I leave the game overnight, because even my longest flights are maybe 2.5 hours (Kangaroo going from London to Sydney). With Tiny Tower I liked knowing that something was still happening even when I was sleeping, but I don't get the same feeling with Pocket Planes.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
That's assuming fuel cost scales linearly as weight increases, right?

Regardless, I was starting to question layovers because whatever plane is setting them up is missing out on the 25% bonus. Unless you're using cost efficient (slow) planes, I'm not sure the benefit outweighs the loss of the 25% bonus from the first plane.

Anyway, I had an idea for Ian and Dave. I think it would be interesting to have an auto-pilot feature for low capacity planes. For example, you could spend bux to upgrade a 1 capacity plane like the Warhawk to have it make trips overnight. That way there's some incentive to use those planes, but new players couldn't set all their planes to auto-pilot right away since it requires bux. Maybe you could upgrade the pilot so they earn more coins (perhaps a % of airline value), that way mid/high level players can still get some use out of them as well.

I feel like I'm missing out on coins when I leave the game overnight, because even my longest flights are maybe 2.5 hours (Kangaroo going from London to Sydney). With Tiny Tower I liked knowing that something was still happening even when I was sleeping, but I don't get the same feeling with Pocket Planes.
Uh... You get the complete 25% bonus, as long as the plane that delivers them to the final destination has the bonus. The initial plane doesn't "miss out on the bonus". E.g. Taking a mixed plane with no bonus and then have smaller planes deliver it with bonus gives you the exact same amount of money per passener as doing the whole flight with the bonus would. That's... Kind of the point of layovers in the first place ;)

Meier

I'm centered around Europe and the Middle East and India so I've been hitting Casablanca hard..work has been getting in the way though! I'm 23rd on the GAF leaderboard, hope to get into the top 10.

All 11 of my planes are at 1,500+ profit an hour. My first Class 2 plane, an Equinox, is making 2,463 an hour currently. Have a Pearjet on the way if I can get a body part..will be interesting to see how that compares.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm centered around Europe and the Middle East and India so I've been hitting Casablanca hard..work has been getting in the way though! I'm 23rd on the GAF leaderboard, hope to get into the top 10.

Any tips when expanding out of Europe? Do you go instanbul first, or Cairo?

Hige

Uh... You get the complete 25% bonus, as long as the plane that delivers them to the final destination has the bonus. The initial plane doesn't "miss out on the bonus". E.g. Taking a mixed plane with no bonus and then have smaller planes deliver it with bonus gives you the exact same amount of money per passener as doing the whole flight with the bonus would. That's... Kind of the point of layovers in the first place ;)
Yeah, I know all that...

Hm, let me see if I can explain. Let's say you have two planes, one going from LA to NY and the other going from NY to London. The LA to NY plane has 3 slots, 2 passengers going to NY and 1 layover to London. This plane is missing out on a 25% bonus because it could have taken 3 people to NY. Even though the NY to London plane can deliver the layover with a 25% bonus (and at the LA to London cash value), you could feasibly make more money by having both planes use the 25% bonus. You could just have the NY to London plane wait for jobs to refresh to get the bonus instead of using layovers to get the bonus.

So the question is whether the 25% bonus from the LA to NY plane outweighs the bonus of sending the NY to London plane with a higher valued passenger.

Meier

Any tips when expanding out of Europe? Do you go instanbul first, or Cairo?

I first took Kiev thinking I may go to Northern Europe but I have not expanded up to there beyond that. I have airports in Bucharest and Beirut (one in Rome too which makes for a nice connection to Southern Europe/Northern Africa from either). My first big city was Tehran with Mumbai being my next big airport purchase although I also have airports in Kabul and Lhasa (I had one in Muscat but closed it in favor of Casablanca). My next purchase will be somewhere in China most likely.

Here are my recent flight paths.. been ignoring Kabul and Lhasa a bit.

ibf387nzghuAWN.PNG

Hypereides

Gold Member
Nimblebit should consider doing some creative aircrafts like, UFO's, space ferries, space rockets and stealth bomber jets.

From what Im reading its disappointing the world is restricted. Theres crazy opportunities for doing sick geometrical combinations.

Some one mentioned a proposal of making an outer space theme expansion which sounds like a cool idea.

Building airports on the moon, other planets and out on galatic space stations would be neato.

Lan_97

I'm about to shutdown half my red cities in an attempt to make more relevant jobs appear along my LA-Tokyo route. Please stop me if this is incorrect thinking. Feels wrong.

As a side note I have maxed out upgrades in Tokyo and still have problems filling a 6-seater, sometimes even a 4-seater.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm about to shutdown half my red cities in an attempt to make more relevant jobs appear along my LA-Tokyo route. Please stop me if this is incorrect thinking. Feels wrong.

As a side note I have maxed out upgrades in Tokyo and still have problems filling a 6-seater, sometimes even a 4-seater.

I wouldn't shut down red cities at all.

I've already shut down a couple of black ones like Rome and Munich, but that's just so I can concentrate on extending east-west.

Lan_97

I wouldn't shut down red cities at all.

I've already shut down a couple of black ones like Rome and Munich, but that's just so I can concentrate on extending east-west.

The problem is while the job lists grow bigger as you add more cities, you also start seeing less jobs going to each city. For instance, when I only had a handful of cities, I could always fill a 4-seater in Chicago/NY. Now having Red cities across the world, I only see maybe two jobs per city on a job list on average. It's usually the case that half my fleet has to wait for 1-3 job refreshes before having a full plane to a single city.

This is my observation only, I'm not sure how the mechanics actually work. But it's definitely more of a hassle to fill planes now than before despite having a larger network of red cities and still running mostly 4-seater planes.

edbrat

Joined gafair!

eh, so is there an idiots guide post to this game or can someone summarise idiot mistakes to avoid when starting?

lefantome

damn it.

I waiting for since yesterday for a MOHAWK-C body :( can someone send me it? lefantome89
I'm shipping movies stuff to casablanca!

I'm level 9 what kind of plane do you suggest after mohawk?
I mean, level 2 airplanes, the pearjet seems useless :( I'll wait to cross the atlantic

eeenmachine

a developer of very popular and awesome games
damn it.

I waiting for since yesterday for a MOHAWK-C body :( can someone send me it? lefantome89

I mean, level 2 airplanes, the pearjet seems useless :( I'll wait to cross the atlantic

You can cross the Atlantic in a few class 1 planes you just have to go through Reykjavik or South America > Africa.

Hige

Sent! Not sure how long it'll take since some people reported problems with the gifting system though.

Any ideas for how / where to do an "unload all" button?
I was thinking the same thing mrklaw suggested. Maybe a bar at the top of the customer list that disappears as you scroll down the list?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
damn it.

Birchcraft is pretty nice. Should (guess) reach from recife to Lagos.

lefantome

Birchcraft is pretty nice. Should (guess) reach from recife to Lagos.

thanks when I will unlock this plane?

@I already crossed the atlatinc via greenland with a class one plane, but I closed everything, was useless.

thanks to hm99 for the plane part!

damn it.

Pearjet is the best I'm upgrading all my class 2s to it. I have 3 and they're making $3,000-$3,500 an hour. Now equinox's I don't think are worth it at all.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
14 bux per part, 14 to assemble. Needs 3 fuel upgrades to make it from NY to London. So 98 bux total.

Now I just need the fuel upgrades. I gambled and bought one, now I have 4 bux left and a plane sitting in New York waiting with passangers. I'll get it tomorrow. Perheps I'll just throw NimbleBit a few IRL bux toward their cause and do it tonight. We'll see. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thanks when I will unlock this plane?

@I already crossed the atlatinc via greenland with a class one plane, but I closed everything, was useless.

thanks to hm99 for the plane part!

Level 10

Surprised you thought Greenland was useless. It's slow, but it pays really well

InertiaXr

I blew all my bux on 2 Pearjet's as soon as I hit lvl 14, but both of them are 5 cargo only so now I have 20 people each in London/NYC wanting to go to the other side of the Atlantic. :/ Might have to spend some more real $ otherwise getting the 100+ bux I need to get a fully rang upgraded Pearjet is going to take forever. :(

Top Bottom