• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

Yeah, I know all that...

Hm, let me see if I can explain. Let's say you have two planes, one going from LA to NY and the other going from NY to London. The LA to NY plane has 3 slots, 2 passengers going to NY and 1 layover to London. This plane is missing out on a 25% bonus because it could have taken 3 people to NY. Even though the NY to London plane can deliver the layover with a 25% bonus (and at the LA to London cash value), you could feasibly make more money by having both planes use the 25% bonus. You could just have the NY to London plane wait for jobs to refresh to get the bonus instead of using layovers to get the bonus.

So the question is whether the 25% bonus from the LA to NY plane outweighs the bonus of sending the NY to London plane with a higher valued passenger.

I have also been thinking about this. I started using layovers but found that it wasn't increasing profitability vs. focusing on just nailing the bonus and not funneling jobs to hubs for layovers. Especially when you can just wait a few minutes for new jobs to fill your route, and it doesn't cost you anything. I think they may be useful in more limited circumstances (maybe very long cross-region flights between red airports) but even then I'm not yet convinced.

My planes are also not super-profitable as scored by the logs, because it only measures profits divided by time in the air. But I am probably making more money faster by not always waiting for the most efficient setup. If I know I'll be away for more than a half hour I'll just send every plane with whatever is available - better to be making money than just sitting there.

My empire has now expanded to Africa. contributing to the Casablanca event.

I feel that BUX mean a lot more to me now, seeing that I can earn them instead of the randomness that was Tiny Tower.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just started playing this morning. SO GOOD. Can anyone point me towards a good beginners guide? Or offer me helpful tips? Thanks!

PS: Joined #GAFAIR. :-D

Finally unlocked a route to Casablanca! Help is on the way! Also, the prize for top ten dropped since the first contest, do you think that we will have different prizes all fluctuating in value as the game progresses?

Is the HUEY the huge plane in the itunes screenshots?

Guys i've got this one, I was already around the area and already sending like 10 things there on my first turn of the night!

strem

Ive had an iPhone for 3 years now and just made my first in app purchase! Well done on this one again Nimblebit guys

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Update is up

What's New in Version 1.0.3

- Vastly improved iCloud support for playing across multiple devices
- Added setting to disable syncing in game settings
- Added button to reset Game Center awards in game settings
- Fixed invisible menu hijacking touches
- Zoom level on map now saved
- Added category header to Flight Crew leaderboards
- Many other small bug fixes

Apeboy

Update is up

- Added button to reset Game Center awards in game settings
- Fixed invisible menu hijacking touches
- Zoom level on map now saved
- Added category header to Flight Crew leaderboards
- Many other small bug fixes

Awesome.

In other news, we are getting waxed on event this round.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
I actually can't believe how much my interest in this game(and sadly this thread) fell off after the first week/flight crew mission. It was a lot of fun for the first while when there was some sense of competition between the various flight crews, with various crews having something of a shot at coming in first. The idea that first can just be brute-forced by sheer numbers, has removed pretty much any interest I have in playing. I'd think about playing again if they implemented something like I saw suggested a week or so ago in this thread, like only taking the top-100 scores from each flight crew to determine their ranking(with everyone still getting rewards of course). There just doesn't seem to be enough in this game to keep me interested lacking that, which is surprising given how much time I've put into NimbleBit's other games(way too much time in PocketFrogs and just hit 161 floors in Tiny Tower).

Chopper

I actually can't believe how much my interest in this game(and sadly this thread) fell off after the first week/flight crew mission. It was a lot of fun for the first while when there was some sense of competition between the various flight crews, with various crews having something of a shot at coming in first. The idea that first can just be brute-forced by sheer numbers, has removed pretty much any interest I have in playing. I'd think about playing again if they implemented something like I saw suggested a week or so ago in this thread, like only taking the top-100 scores from each flight crew to determine their ranking(with everyone still getting rewards of course). There just doesn't seem to be enough in this game to keep me interested lacking that, which is surprising given how much time I've put into NimbleBit's other games(way too much time in PocketFrogs and just hit 161 floors in Tiny Tower).
I totally agree, 100%. I sincerely hope Ian and Dave would be willing to rethink the way flight crew points are dished out. I am just not inclined to push hard for the gloval event, knowing that TouchArcade are just owning the score-board.

It's funny. I do honestly love Nimblebit and this game, but it is far less compulsive than Pocket Frogs or Tiny Tower. In Tiny Tower, a new floor is a notch higher than everyone else. A step closer to the "top". In Pocket Frogs you had the joy of obtaining a new type of frog after a day's wait. You earnt that frog. In Pocket Planes, as soon as you cross the Atlantic, there is no feeling of accomplishment. The planes are cool, but also get less convenient, fun and versatile the longer you play. There's something a bit backwards about your progress in PP.

Hasn't stopped me playing yet though.

I totally agree, 100%. I sincerely hope Ian and Dave would be willing to rethink the way flight crew points are dished out. I am just not inclined to push hard for the gloval event, knowing that TouchArcade are just owning the score-board.

It's funny. I do honestly love Nimblebit and this game, but it is far less compulsive than Pocket Frogs or Tiny Tower. In Tiny Tower, a new floor is a notch higher than everyone else. A step closer to the "top". In Pocket Frogs you had the joy of obtaining a new type of frog after a day's wait. You earnt that frog. In Pocket Planes, as soon as you cross the Atlantic, there is no feeling of accomplishment. The planes are cool, but also get less convenient, fun and versatile the longer you play. There's something a bit backwards about your progress in PP.

Hasn't stopped me playing yet though.

Yeah, I'm still playing but I am drifting away from it. I don't feel like I've got anything to aim for.

Chopper

Yeah, I'm still playing but I am drifting away from it. I don't feel like I've got anything to aim for.
"All the reds" is a more appealing goal than "All the planes" just thanks to the fact they are drip-fed to us, level-by-level. It will take me a couple of weeks to buy all the reds, I reckon.

"All the reds" is a more appealing goal than "All the planes" just thanks to the fact they are drip-fed to us, level-by-level. It will take me a couple of weeks to buy all the reds, I reckon.

Yeah, but the thing with Tiny Tower was that the more floors you got, the more money you made, so not only were you aiming to complete the tower but you were always racking up bigger and bigger profits.

I'm spread from LA to Tokyo now, and even though I'm still using Kangaroos, once I upgrade to a better plane I'm basically done. There's just about no better profit than that LA-Tokyo run so I've pretty much maxed the game out already. I could buy the rest of the red airports, but it's not really even worth using them other than as waypoints because I'd be making less money than LA-Tokyo. I could buy more plane slots for even more profit but I'd just be earning coins towards nothing.

There are challenges to do but there's no reward for doing them. There's planes to collect but you only need one type to get the most out of the game. There are airports to collect but there's no point using any of them. There's not that thrill of seeing what the game has to offer next (like what floor you're gonna get) because everything's out in the open already. Definitely had fun getting started, but I feel like I'm running out of stuff worth doing already.

Chopper

Yeah, but the thing with Tiny Tower was that the more floors you got, the more money you made, so not only were you aiming to complete the tower but you were always racking up bigger and bigger profits.

I'm spread from LA to Tokyo now, and even though I'm still using Kangaroos, once I upgrade to a better plane I'm basically done. There's just about no better profit than that LA-Tokyo run so I've pretty much maxed the game out already. I could buy the rest of the red airports, but it's not really even worth using them other than as waypoints because I'd be making less money than LA-Tokyo. I could buy more plane slots for even more profit but I'd just be earning coins towards nothing.

There are challenges to do but there's no reward for doing them. There's planes to collect but you only need one type to get the most out of the game. There are airports to collect but there's no point using any of them. Definitely had fun getting started, but I feel like I'm running out of stuff worth doing already.
Yup. We are indeed on the same page. Although I haven't reached Tokyo yet. Is there a point to owning all the airports? Do "better" planes make that LA -> Tokyo run more profitable?

It's almost like they birchcrafts come into play far too quickly. If I was still stick in Europe, edging towards Asia, I would have the sensation of progress and satisfaction. As it is, I'm wondering why I need any other planes if I can already cross the globe.

Yup. We are indeed on the same page. Although I haven't reached Tokyo yet. Is there a point to owning all the airports? Do "better" planes make that LA -> Tokyo run more profitable?

Yep, but only in that at the moment I have to take a pretty convoluted route through Iceland to get to the US from Europe. With a plane with a bit more range I could take a much straighter line which would cut down my miles drastically, so I'd be spending less on fuel.

Apeboy

Just a FYI.

A aeroeagle with distance upgrades maxed will make the trip from Istanbul to Bangkok. Option for opening the far east from the west.

Chopper

Yep, but only in that at the moment I have to take a pretty convoluted route through Iceland to get to the US from Europe. With a plane with a bit more range I could take a much straighter line which would cut down my miles drastically, so I'd be spending less on fuel.
Makes sense.

An error the guys have made, which was also a problem in Pocket Frogs, is that there is no mystery or excitement about the unlockables. They're all there for everyone to see in the 'pedia on the menu screen. I not only know what the next plane I will have access to looks like, but I can see all its stats too! This is why I stopped breeding frogs. : /

Tobor

Makes sense.

An error the guys have made, which was also a problem in Pocket Frogs, is that there is no mystery or excitement about the unlockables. They're all there for everyone to see in the 'pedia on the menu screen. I not only know what the next plane I will have access to looks like, but I can see all its stats too! This is why I stopped breeding frogs. : /

Pocket Frogs didn't initially have a list like that, IIRC. It was added in an update after users requested it.

I load up pocket planes about 3-4 times a day right now, setup some flights then go. I can never really stick with these games but so far I still enjoy it a lot more then 1+ week on tiny tower which I just got fed up restocking stores so often.

I trust in the dev team that we will see some nice updates and goals to reach, still early days and I really want that huge jumbo plane.

Chopper

Pocket Frogs didn't initially have a list like that, IIRC. It was added in an update after users requested it.
True, but random breeds would pop up on the loading screens, ruining it for you. I remember emailing the devs about it at the time.

Tobor

True, but random breeds would pop up on the loading screens, ruining it for you. I remember emailing the devs about it at the time.

Yeah I remember that. I was just pointing out that the Airpedia isnt technically an error, since people did ask for it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just spent at least an hour collecting bux to buy parts to build my first plane... Only to find that I need 4 more bux to actually do the building. >:-(

I think it would be nice of there was a Buy button when looking at the info for a part in the market place, it's a bit annoying having to exit and then go back in and find the part again to buy.

shira

Thanks for the suggestion. For now, if it is anything but a flight landing you can tap it and it will go away.
But flight landings are 90% of the announcements.
Not really sure why you need announcements of flights landing anyways since you are usually checking your planes list.
Maybe a disable or a 0.5s display
Feels like its up for 2s

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Update is up

Scared myself yesterday. My daughter wanted to play, so I let her have my iPod touch which I haven't used in ages. She started a new game, but today she said 'why have I got all these planes?' the game had synced via iCloud without me realising. I turned off document sync and reset her game. What would have happened if we'd both made changes in the game on separate devices?

Edit: when did the app store stop asking for a password when you update multiple apps?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

There are challenges to do but there's no reward for doing them. There's planes to collect but you only need one type to get the most out of the game. There are airports to collect but there's no point using any of them. There's not that thrill of seeing what the game has to offer next (like what floor you're gonna get) because everything's out in the open already. Definitely had fun getting started, but I feel like I'm running out of stuff worth doing already.

How much have you played? Kangaroo has pretty crappy range so you'd need a ton of airports to get from LA-Tokyo, and that would take a long time with slow-ass kangaroos. How long does it take one to do the whole flight?

I've just started to extend east to Tehran, but my smaller planes can't reach, so I bought istanbul as a waypoint. After I get to Tokyo I still want to make regional routes in japan and India,NAND expand my local routes in Europe and the US. I'm liking this game a lot, but never got into pocket frogs or tiny tower. Different strokes etc

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think it would be nice of there was a Buy button when looking at the info for a part in the market place, it's a bit annoying having to exit and then go back in and find the part again to buy.

I just spent at least an hour collecting bux to buy parts to build my first plane... Only to find that I need 4 more bux to actually do the building. >:-(

Are you collecting in flight, or doing Bux flights, or both? You can't directly exchange money back into Bux, but you can do it indirectly by flying passengers/cargo for Bux and trading profit for Bux. Sometimes I'll even take a loss if it earns me lots of Bux.

Just a FYI.

A aeroeagle with distance upgrades maxed will make the trip from Istanbul to Bangkok. Option for opening the far east from the west.

Interesting. And decent capacity so you could make a hub in bangkok with smaller planes.

An unmodified birchcraft will hop from Barcelona to Tehran, and looks like it'll reach bangkok from Tehran, so that's another option which comes at a fairly early level

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Are you collecting in flight, or doing Bux flights, or both? You can't directly exchange money back into Bux, but you can do it indirectly by flying passengers/cargo for Bux and trading profit for Bux. Sometimes I'll even take a loss if it earns me lots of Bux.

Interesting. And decent capacity so you could make a hub in bangkok with smaller planes.

An unmodified birchcraft will hop from Barcelona to Tehran, and looks like it'll reach bangkok from Tehran, so that's another option which comes at a fairly early level

c-c-c-c-c-c-combobreaker. dat triplepost.

As a sidenote, my airline is now spanning from Chicago to Delhi, getting along nicely!

People in this thread were theorizing that the next step in this series (if it is a series) would be space travel, but does anyone else think it'd be cool if they integrated the initial Train concept, perhaps cross-breeding it with this app (either as a separate app, or an in-app purchase, or a huge free update)?

You could basically switch "views" (from airports to train stations), and wind up chaining trips so you could have a guy start out in Munich, fly to New York, take a train to New Jersey, fly to California, take a train to Colorado, etc...

Of course the natural progression after that would be Pocket Planes -> Tiny Trains -> Teensy-Weensy Wheelchair Assistance

How much have you played? Kangaroo has pretty crappy range so you'd need a ton of airports to get from LA-Tokyo, and that would take a long time with slow-ass kangaroos. How long does it take one to do the whole flight?

It goes via ten or eleven airports, and takes three and a half hours. I'm only a level away from 16 though and I think that gets me a plane that can cover the Atlantic with ease and so that journey time will be cut to about an hour and a half, probably. At that point, I think there's probably no more profit to find.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Did the map always show you how many layovers you have at an airport, next to the population? Only just noticed it.

lefantome

I'm level 11 which level 2 plane allows me to cross the atlantic for example from madrid? Is the equinox worth the buxs or i should save for the pearjet?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm level 11 which level 2 plane allows me to cross the atlantic for example from madrid? Is the equinox worth the buxs or i should save for the pearjet?

Pearjet seems to be the first. Not sure if you can use something like a birchcraft to get across from recife to Lagos?

Top Bottom