• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

Just picked this up on a whim. Wasn't going to bother, as I "collected them all" in Black the first time round. But the impressions here swayed me.

Question: Have they expanded the storage space on the PC? There wasn't nearly enough last time round to store one of every pokemon, let alone extra space for extras and eggs and stuff.

There are 720 slots in the PC, just like the first Black/White. Plenty of space for one of each, and then some.

Just thought I'd ask here. Do items like Iron, Carbos etc favor stats for that specific level? Or is it just a basic +1 added to the stat?

Given my limited understanding of EV and all of that, I think that should be case right?

Each item is worth 10 EV points. 4 EV points are worth +1 stat point at level 100. So the more you level up, the more your EV points take effect.

I have a question and I don't mind if you spoil it for me.
Was Ghetsis lying about not being able to catch the white Kyrum because of his staff and I killed it needlessly or am I supposed to catch it later?

He was telling the truth. You come back later.

zroid

Banned
Just thought I'd ask here. Do items like Iron, Carbos etc favor stats for that specific level? Or is it just a basic +1 added to the stat?

Given my limited understanding of EV and all of that, I think that should be case right?

You kind of need an understanding of EVs to properly get how those items work, sadly. Each one adds 10 EVs to a stat -- at level 100, this would increase the stat by about 2 points, but it's not easy to predict its effect at lower levels.

Each item is worth 10 EV points. 4 EV points are worth +1 stat point at level 100.

He was telling the truth. You come back later.

That's what I thought. I just kept thinking maybe I messed it up by not at least trying. Already made one mistake in this game didn't want to make more anymore. Thanks.

Buttons

Bah, not evolving Oshawott is really getting to me.
Have to have the EXP Share on him at all times pretty much.

I still wish they would introduce some kind of item that gives a pokemon the stats of their evolved forms once they reach the appropriate certain level.
That way you could keep your favourite Pokemon without evolving it but it would be actually useful and not get one-shot later in the game.

I love using a Psyduck and I will never evolve it, but usually past lv40+ it's a struggle to keep it alive. :/

Omzz

You kind of need an understanding of EVs to properly get how those items work, sadly. Each one adds 10 EVs to a stat -- at level 100, this would increase the stat by about 2 points, but it's not easy to predict its effect at lower levels.

Each item is worth 10 EV points. 4 EV points are worth +1 stat point at level 100. So the more you level up, the more your EV points take effect.

Thanks guys! I don't know shit about EV training and all of that. Going to spend time learning about it on bulbapedia whenever I get the chance

Got my Therian Landorus. Should I bother to ever use Dream Radar again? :p Also, if I delete my Dream Radar save file, can I get the Therian legendaries all over again?

Pretty sure you cannot upload legendaries from Dream Radar into your Black/white 2 cart more than once. Though I don't know exactly how it works.

Me, I'm catching all 8 and backing up my data on my computer from the SD card to dodge the whole "I don't have a 3DS stupid Dream Radar" thing for any friends.

Ezalc

Question, guys like every starter starting with gen 3 has had like a "unique" move. What about the two other gens? Like what would be the moves for the other starters that didn't have this?

zroid

Banned
Thanks guys! I don't know shit about EV training and all of that. Going to spend time learning about it on bulbapedia whenever I get the chance

The other thing to keep in mind about the vitamins is their maximum. Basically the vitamin won't work if the EV count for its corresponding stat is already 100 or higher. (The most possible EVs for a single stat is 255, and the most for all stats combined is 510).

Thanks for the info. I swear I ran out of space in the first one.

*shrug*

I guess I'll just tuck in then. Anything I need to know? Like, missables?

The only missables I can think of at the moment are the Magmarizer (black 2) and Electirizer (white 2)
I'll just say that you reach them at a point after the 8 gyms.
And they're only important if you want Magmortar or Electivire.

HM's should be hold items on Pokemon, honestly. Not "items" in the traditional sense but something that "enhances" a Pokemon's ability.

Like, why can Cut clear a tree in the way, but Slash can't? If the Pokemon had a hold item like "claw sharpener" it wouldn't matter. It also wouldn't take up a fricking spot in the moves list.

They should take it one step further and just allow pokemon to use these abilities out of battle once they achieve certain requirements. Like any water pokemon of a certain size should be able to surf, any pokemon that knows slash or fury cutter etc should be able to cut, any fire or electric moves allows that pokemon to use flash. And then I guess the game could require you to get certain badges first to keep the flow right.

Okay, I finally picked up my copy of B2. Does memory link via WiFi not work until you've started a game or something? I followed all the steps correctly and then it hung up while linking the two files. I had to reset after waiting about 20 minutes.

EDIT: Never mind! It worked after another try.

Pietepiet

I just played for about an hour and wow, the Pokémon in the starting areas are fantastic. Already got Mareep and Riolu on my team!

Firestorm

Read the intro to competitive Pokemon and beginners guide to EV training linked in the OP. I wrote those specifically for players like you!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I still think the Magikarp Trainer is the cruelest on-going joke in the series. Waste of time and PP.
Why yes, I did just encounter the Magikarp Trainer.

Netto-kun

36 hours and 23 minutes. Oh man, I am so slow. Now to visit unexplored areas and catching legendaries.
17102012621.jpg

tranciful

I've been surprised at the level of competition online -- figured there'd be more casual players. Unfortunately I see the same pokemon over and over... Hitmontop needs to go away

Korosenai

I don't see how people are beating the game so fast. I'm 30 hours in and just now challenging the 6th gym leader.

Maybe I'm just really slow.

Though the team I'm rocking right now should be really good for the rest of the game: Gengar, deino, wartortle, servine, mamoswine, and thundurus.

ffdgh

I actually had Lucario as backup. Ampharos, Arcanine and Golduck did all the work against Iris, while Serperior was sitting in the background leeching experience points from all the battles.
laugh.gif

My serperior was sweeping her with coil and leaf blade until that darn archeops appeared and got a crit on her ¬_¬

SaberVulcan

36 hours and 23 minutes. Oh man, I am so slow. Now to visit unexplored areas and catching legendaries.
17102012621.jpg

Nice team. My run in is unfortunately looking way too similar to my original White team for my liking, because theres just not enough Pokes in the wild that I like. Might send myself eggs for when I do challenge mode, if anyone here can send me it :D.

Wiz

Should I try turning on Challenge mode for post game trainers? Just how much harder does it get? I don't want to push my luck.

Roto13

So.. what the hell am I supposed to do with all these excess Pokemon from Dream Radar?

They're my throwaways. It's really, really weird to have a bunch of throwaway Riolu to trade over and then kill when I want to get something from my Black 1 game.

ffdgh

...the habitat list helped me to noticed that lake by mah house since I was a tad confused to see basculine for the first town for surfing....and then find the energy ball at the end of it XD.

Top Bottom