• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Did I come off as snarky or hostile there? If so sorry, I'll shut up.

Haha, the vacuum comment seemed a little snarky, but I can be that way too. Just trying to get my point across. ;) Way too many times I've tried to help people understand why some Pokemon work and why others don't, but it frequently turns into 'why do you have my favourite Pokemon', or a discussion in theorymon instead of actual experience.

Umbreon is my favourite eeveelution and third favourite Pokemon.

Umbreon is fucking terrible.

I actually looked him up on Veekun a few days ago to try and find a niche for him. His stats, movepool, ability, and arguably typing are all worse than Cresselia. The only thing I can think of is STAB Foul Play + Swagger or something.

I'm in the same boat. I love Umby, but it's a really bad Pokemon. Of course I also have soft spots for Beedrill, and Cacturne too.. among others..

I love Cacturne because Focus Punch + Sucker Punch = incredible mind games. If only his attack was higher; he would be one of the best niche Pokémon around.

upandaway

Haha, the vacuum comment seemed a little snarky, but I can be that way too. Just trying to get my point across. ;) Way too many times I've tried to help people understand why some Pokemon work and why others don't, but it frequently turns into 'why do you have my favourite Pokemon', or a discussion in theorymon instead of actual experience.

I'm in the same boat. I love Umby, but it's a really bad Pokemon. Of course I also have soft spots for Beedrill, and Cacturne too.. among others..
Maybe my average is lower because I'm mostly talking about the in-game competitive aspect.. I also don't use legendaries like Cresselia or Mesprit that are popular. I have a physical Umbreon to go with Volcarona and he's a really fun guy (though now that I think about it, maybe it's BECAUSE he's weaker than his job demands). Volcarona is one Pokemon who can really take advantage of Umbreon's type, even if it doesn't work as well vice versa, so he's more of an annoyer.

Is it likely that there will be a second distribution of Genesect along the line?

I'm only halfway through Black 1, but the collectionist in me wants to pick up Black 2 just to get Genesect before the promotion runs out.
Not likely, but possible.

Well, I can sort of say it's likely that it will be re-released SOMETIME in our lifetime. Maybe. If we're lucky. But probably not in this generation or the next one, or the next one.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I love Cacturne because Focus Punch + Sucker Punch = incredible mind games. If only his attack was higher; he would be one of the best niche Pokémon around.

He was so much better a couple generations ago (or even last generation) when he was actually one of the stronger Pokemon. Now 115 base attack stats seems just okay.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
wish he got sand rush as an hidden ability, at least he would have been usable :(

I hope next generation you can breed a Cacturne and Maractus to form the ultimate cactus.

Water Absorb is an okay ability for him now on Drizzle teams in doubles, but Ludicolo is almost always going to be the choice when making that team..

Also if the move that is "not effective" has STAB, it essentially deals normal damage, right?

If Dorothy the Diglett used Earthquake on Connie the Cacnea, what percentage of the base Earthquake damage would be dealt?

Answer:
(100+50)/2=75
How does the ability Tinted Lens play in here? Does it double back to 150%? ((100+50)/2)2=150?

Also, is it generally acceptable to Audino grind? I seem to get very nice stat increases with every level but am too lazy to learn EV training.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
How does the ability Tinted Lens play in here? Does it double back to 150%? ((100+50)/2)2=150?

Also, is it generally acceptable to Audino grind? I seem to get very nice stat increases with every level but am too lazy to learn EV training.

Yep, Audino grinding is very effective. You gain HP Evs from finding out, if you were curious.

balddemon

Banned
what exactly is there to do in post game besides join avenue, pokemovies, and pwt? not that all that isn't plenty, i'm just curious. how do you unlock challenge mode? i've already beat the game fyi

Wichu

what exactly is there to do in post game besides join avenue, pokemovies, and pwt? not that all that isn't plenty, i'm just curious. how do you unlock challenge mode? i've already beat the game fyi

Assuming you're playing Black 2, go to the Unova Link on the title screen menu, and select it in the Key System.

There's the other half of the region to explore (around Icirrus City and southeast of Castelia), Black Tower/White Treehollow depending on version, a ton of legendary Pokémon to catch, the Battle Subway, collecting medals, and filling the Pokédex. And of course putting together a good team and taking it online ;)

stn

Guys, I only have one DS Lite and want to buy Black 2. I'd like to transfer my team from Platinum. I'm pretty sure my friend will let me borrow his DS, but just in case he doesn't have it anymore - what are my options???

Could I use the PokeGTS site? How does it work? Thanks!!!

balddemon

Banned
Guys, I only have one DS Lite and want to buy Black 2. I'd like to transfer my team from Platinum. I'm pretty sure my friend will let me borrow his DS, but just in case he doesn't have it anymore - what are my options???

yeah there are several internet GTS's. the one i used to use was makeawish-gts.net (i think) but i'm not sure if that one is still allowing you to store 'mons.

Frost_Ace

You can use the regular GTS too, you know, just ask something unusual in return.

stn

If I use this Pokemon GTS site, can some random person come in and steal my Pokes somehow??? I've never used it before so I'm being overtly cautious. Thanks.

balddemon

Banned
Maybe. But I've had the same pokemon stores in there for several months an they're all still there.

Edit: also, anyone with white2 wanna help me get my 3rd regi later?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Does anyone here have experience using Porygon2 competitively? I wonder what kind of team it could fit.

Speaking in doubles, it's a pretty cool Pokemon. Eviolite makes it incredibly bulky, and people seem to forget it has 105 base SpAtk. All its abilities are usable. Analytic outside of Trick Room, Trace can be useful, but it picks from the two opponents at random, Download can be a coin flip too if leading, but useful if you receive the boost.

He can setup Trick Room, he's one of the few non-Electrics to receive Discharge.. and he basically receives every Special move you would want for coverage, he can set Gravity, he can Trick, Magic Coat and has instant Recovery.

Really in doubles he's a jack of many trades, but doesn't do anything amazingly well. He's got great bulk to setup TR / Gravity, but he's easily Taunted and Fake Out'ed, so you have to give him the support he needs. If you use him as a bulky slow attacker (with Analytic) he's quite powerful, but is a tough choice over some of the really powerful Special Attackers you could have (Lat@s, Hydr, Volcarona, etc). Although a Modest Porygon2 with max SpAtk can hit really hard and your opponent might be shocked when he Taunts you only to eat one of Porygon2's many Super Effective moves.

backlot

I've used Porygon 2 in singles and he's a pretty decent tank. Trace is fun for countering Heatran or anything with water/volt absorb. Heavily offensive Pokemon like Garchomp or Latios really hit him hard though. Having no resistances aside from ghost makes him a bit difficult to use as a defensive Pokemon.

upandaway

Man I'm starting to miss the underground from Sinnoh. I sunk so many hours into that place.

I say that because holy hell, the Rare Bone guy is still in Route 17! I think I have like 50 of them in my Platinum.

I have a question. In the entralink funfest mission find the ores. Is there a way to get fire stones or water stones to appear? All I get is leaf, thunder, and shiny stones. Please don't say they're version exclusives. I seriously have enough thunder stones to last me the next 100 years of pokemon games.

Boogiepop

I have a question. In the entralink funfest mission find the ores. Is there a way to get fire stones or water stones to appear? All I get is leaf, thunder, and shiny stones. Please don't say they're version exclusives. I seriously have enough thunder stones to last me the next 100 years of pokemon games.

http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/funfestmission.shtml

Version exclusive missions for the stones, yeah. But with the Forest/City and Join Avenue stuff it's at least a hell of a lot better than in B/W.

MechaX

Not likely, but possible.

Well, I can sort of say it's likely that it will be re-released SOMETIME in our lifetime. Maybe. If we're lucky. But probably not in this generation or the next one, or the next one.

I was fearing such. And apparently, they have not done another Victini distribution for the original Black either.

*grumblegrumblegoesofftobuygamegrumble*

vall03

dammit Battle Subway! AI used Scald three times, got burned three times. I used Scald 7 times, not one caused a burn. fuck the AI in Pokemon! seriously!

That's stupid but that's what I figured. Thanks.

Playing on a 3DS? Dream Radar is awesome, I got 8 sun, 3 moon, 3 fire, 4 leaf, 4 thunder and 3 water stones from it so far.

I was fearing such. And apparently, they have not done another Victini distribution for the original Black either.

*grumblegrumblegoesofftobuygamegrumble*

They did 2 Victini distributions. Liberty Pass at the launch of the game which allowed the capture of a lvl. 15 Victini followed by "Virtuoso Victini" later on.

Okay, I somehow lucked my way into 57 wins in the doubles Subway with my lousy team in my initial run before losing to Cursepert. Haven't broken 28 wins since then in like 7-8 tries. :-(

I also tested it out in the downloadable PWTs and the Juniors destroyed me. Bad matchups, horrible hax (getting flinched 3 turns in a row by Rock Slide wtf), or misclicking moves resulted in a handful of failures before prevailing. Seniors on the hand, got walled pretty hard by Shedinja and I won on my first attempt :lol.

Gonna rebreed a more serious team for a 100+ streak in the Subway now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is black/white 2 very different to black/white? My kids played black/white and I'm wondering whether to get this for their christmas present, but have no idea whether its more of the same or a full sequel - Nitendo's naming doesn't really help someone not familiar with the series.

Is black/white 2 very different to black/white? My kids played black/white and I'm wondering whether to get this for their christmas present, but have no idea whether its more of the same or a full sequel - Nintendo's naming doesn't really help someone not familiar with the series.
It's fairly different from BW, in terms of the story (sequel) and the character selection, despite it being in the same region. Plus, there's a whole lot more to do in the region compared to BW. The monster selection in the game is also pretty different, with the bigger dex.

If they liked BW, they'll like BW2 at least as much, probably.

Playing on a 3DS? Dream Radar is awesome, I got 8 sun, 3 moon, 3 fire, 4 leaf, 4 thunder and 3 water stones from it so far.

They did 2 Victini distributions. Liberty Pass at the launch of the game which allowed the capture of a lvl. 15 Victini followed by "Virtuoso Victini" later on.

Only stones I get in dream radar is thunderstones. Dream Radar hates me.

upandaway

Is black/white 2 very different to black/white? My kids played black/white and I'm wondering whether to get this for their christmas present, but have no idea whether its more of the same or a full sequel - Nitendo's naming doesn't really help someone not familiar with the series.
It depends on what they're doing with the game. Are they just reaching the end, or what? How are they playing it?

For the most part the progression, gyms, battles and Pokemon are different, but have similar cues, and somewhere around half the areas or more are the same.

Only stones I get in dream radar is thunderstones. Dream Radar hates me.
Do you pay attention to the color of dream orbs when you do a search? The color you pick up the most of dictates the type of pokemon and items you'll see on your next search. If you don't get the color you want, you can immediately follow a search with a 1-cloud search to get what you want. Then maximize clouds for the next search.

Firestorm

Buddermilk

Neo Member
Just bought Black & White 2 for me and my bro, should we switch, or continue with him playing black, and me playing white? Does it make a difference?

spiritfox

Just bought Black & White 2 for me and my bro, should we switch, or continue with him playing black, and me playing white? Does it make a difference?

You get the other box legendary that you did not catch in the first game and the version exclusive places remain the same between the 2 games. But other than that it's the same.

Wichu

You get story continuity (the legendary Pokémon N befriended, whether Opelucid City is ancient/futuristic etc). This time around, you can grant access to Black City/White Forest with the other version after a certain point, so that's not a major factor any more.

Non-legendary version exclusives from B/W (e.g. Reuniclus/Gothitelle) are the only thing you'll miss out on by sticking with the same colour - but that's what trading with your brother is for!

Velcro Fly

Just finished the main quest. Hall of Fame reached in 30:44.

I had a ton of trouble with the champion in terms of needing to use healing items in battle. I really hate doing that but the typing of the champion's team makes the fight a pain the ass. I finished with my Samurott having about 15 HP and a Magmortar with about 30 HP and my other four all knocked out.

Now I have no idea where to begin with postgame stuff. I feel like my team is solidly leveled but I may go find some TMs to buff up their movesets a little bit. I can breed now too which is fun. I guess it's off to catch whatever legendary pokemon I can.

Top Bottom