• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

Ragus

Banned
When Black/White came out in 2011, I remember people were praising those games, because you could only catch new pokemon during the main playthrough.

Now Black/White 2 comes out, and people praise it because you can catch old pokemon from the beginning.

Quite amusing ;).

Roto13

When Black/White came out in 2011, I remember people were praising those games, because you could only catch new pokemon during the main playthrough.

Now Black/White 2 comes out, and people praise it because you can catch old pokemon from the beginning.

Quite amusing ;).

All new Pokemon the first time and all the same Pokemon the second time would be two very, very different things.

Gravijah

Quite amusing ;).

that's cause the Unova Pokemon have ceased being "new"!

i'd prefer they keep a pattern like that, though. Gen VI would be new Pokemon through the main game, then sequels/whatever they plan on doing could add more in.

Quite amusing ;).

It's more so the variety this time around that's awesome for me.

Normally it's like two towns of Rat and Bird with some bugs and shit.

abrack08

Quite amusing ;).

At least for me, it's not necessarily about being able to get older pokemon specifically, as Gen V is one of my favorites for design, it's that there are finally decent ones available really close to the beginning. It usually takes a LOT longer to catch something like a Riolu, Growlithe, Elekid/Magby, etc. I do hope next gen they do the same thing, only/mostly new designs at first. Just maybe don't make all the starting area pokemon so lame.

Unrelated, I've been trying to get an Eevee for like TWO HOURS and I haven't even seen one. It's not time/season specific or anything is it?

think of it as white++ with so much more.

Depends (and this is coming from someone who didn't like Black and White so your mileage may vary)

For me, I like how there are other generations of Pokemon in the wild and in the mix.
I think the Gym Leaders are more interesting this time around.
I feel as if the Rival and intro areas are a lot better, and less PETA and more silly.
I think the newer battle music is better as well.

After the intro areas, it does become more of what you expect out of the first game with it's own differences. Overall, I think BW2 is the much better game.

Better!

One of the things that I'm enjoying more than I thought is the older Pokemon showing up right from the outset. Since I've been playing pokemon for 13 years I didn't think I'd care much, but having Growlithe and Psyduck on my team early on has been badass.

Apart from that, the new areas and storyline and characters are all enough to make it far preferable to the typical third version we always get. And FINALLY having an awesome reward for completing the Dex will actually incentivize me catch them all for the first time (something that has been on my bucket list since 1998).

Everything feels fresh and improved. Black 2 and White 2 are going to become my all time favorite games in the franchise, I can already tell.

This is the stuff I was hoping to hear!

Thanks guys :)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Quite amusing ;).

You find amusing that among the billions of humans on Earth some like 1, while some like 2?

So I decided to go through with making my story playthrough a Nuzlocke Challenge. I'm finding mixed results on the difficulty level so far. The Pokemon I've captured in each area include (plus signs for the ones that are still alive):

+Picked a Tepig (now a Pignite) as my starter since I went with Oshawatt for White.
-Purrloin on Route 19.
-Sewaddle on Route 20
-Lillipup in Flocceesy Ranch.
-Magnemite in the Virbank Complex (a very fortuitous encounter; like the guy in front of the Virbank gym says, this was extremely useful against Roxie)
+Grimer in Castelia Sewers* (slight cheating here as I waited until after the Hugh co-op section to allow myself a "first" chance to catch a Pokemon in that area)
+Roggenrola from the Relic Passage (only stepped in there for a moment after the sewers to get a new party member before getting out of there)
+Trubbish from Route 4 (disappointed with this capture as I still have that Grimer)
+And that Minccino from the Hidden Grotto by Route 5.

Up until the first gym battle it wasn't that much different than a regular playthrough, as you don't have many Pokemon in your party that early in the game anyway. Then
Cheren
came along and wiped me out in my first attempt. I did some leveling up and beat him on my second try, but I lost Purrloin and Lillipup doing so.

From there it was smooth sailing for a while. I beat most of the Virbank gym with Magnemite alone and by the time I was in Castelia gym I was convinced that this run wasn't going to be that tough. Then Sewaddle died due to me being careless with one of the trainers in that gym and Magnemite passed away on Route 4. Now I'm scared to even do many random battles for fear of my Pokemon getting killed, but on the flipside, I think they're underleveled.

This is my first time doing a Nuzlocke Challenge, and I'm definitely enjoying it. I wouldn't ever think to put a Trubbish or a Minccino on my team normally so it's a nice change of pace. I'm burning through a lot of Fresh Waters and Soda Pops to make sure my pokemon don't die on me, and I find I have to swap out my pokemon more often when I'm worried that its HP is too low. Instead of releasing my dead pokemon, I've put them in a special Grave box on the PC. I'll take a picture of it later.

abrack08

So I decided to go through with making my story playthrough a Nuzlocke Challenge. I'm finding mixed results on the difficulty level so far. The Pokemon I've captured in each area include (plus signs for the ones that are still alive):

+Picked a Tepig (now a Pignite) as my starter since I went with Oshawatt for White.
-Purrloin on Route 19.
-Sewaddle on Route 20
-Lillipup in Flocceesy Ranch.
-Magnemite in the Virbank Complex (a very fortuitous encounter; like the guy in front of the Virbank gym says, this was extremely useful against Roxie)
+Grimer in Castelia Sewers* (slight cheating here as I waited until after the Hugh co-op section to allow myself a "first" chance to catch a Pokemon in that area)
+Roggenrola from the Relic Passage (only stepped in there for a moment after the sewers to get a new party member before getting out of there)
+Trubbish from Route 4 (disappointed with this capture as I still have that Grimer)
+And that Minccino from the Hidden Grotto by Route 5.

Up until the first gym battle it wasn't that much different than a regular playthrough, as you don't have many Pokemon in your party that early in the game anyway. Then
Cheren
came along and wiped me out in my first attempt. I did some leveling up and beat him on my second try, but I lost Purrloin and Lillipup doing so.

From there it was smooth sailing for a while. I beat most of the Virbank gym with Magnemite alone and by the time I was in Castelia gym I was convinced that this run wasn't going to be that tough. Then Sewaddle died due to me being careless with one of the trainers in that gym and Magnemite passed away on Route 4. Now I'm scared to even do many random battles for fear of my Pokemon getting killed, but on the flipside, I think they're underleveled.

This is my first time doing a Nuzlocke Challenge, and I'm definitely enjoying it. I wouldn't ever think to put a Trubbish or a Minccino on my team normally so it's a nice change of pace. I'm burning through a lot of Fresh Waters and Soda Pops to make sure my pokemon don't die on me, and I find I have to swap out my pokemon more often when I'm worried that its HP is too low. Instead of releasing my dead pokemon, I've put them in a special Grave box on the PC. I'll take a picture of it later.

Pretty cool, always wanted to do one of these but never have. What are the rules for when your entire party gets wiped out, like what happened at the first gym for you? Are you supposed to release all your pokemon, start over, or what?

Gravijah

Pokestar spoilers

does anyone know how to unlock the last few films? Love & Battles, Ghost Eater & Brycen-Man Strikes Back.

abrack08

Caught a level 21 Trapinch on Route 4 right before challenging the 4th gym. Didn't train it beforehand, I figured it could take out some weaker Pokémon on its own, but it actually ended up one-shotting everything except the
level 30 Zebstrika
, which it killed in two hits. Feeling good about my choice to have him in my party right now, haha.

Roto13

In Chargestone cavern. Doing a 3 on 3 battle against a Kink, Unfeazant, and Sandslash. The top three Pokemon in my team are Marowak, Emolga, and Dewott. So I have a type advantage for everything. :p

This is literally my dream game.

They have Riolu, Mareep, and Psyduck in the same area. Some of my favorite Pokemon ever. I also hear I get an Eevee early on. Psyduck is my favorite Pokemon ever.

Gonna go: Snivvy, Riolu, Mareep, Psyduck, Espeon, HM slave.

I might replace Espeon with a Pokemon that can learn fly. I hate HMs.

Finally received my copy of Black 2 in the mail!

Gonna nickname my Pokémons for the first time ever! I started with Snivy, since my starter was Oshawott in the first game.

Kokonoe

Banned
Caught a level 21 Trapinch on Route 4 right before challenging the 4th gym. Didn't train it beforehand, I figured it could take out some weaker Pokémon on its own, but it actually ended up one-shotting everything except the
level 30 Zebstrika
, which it killed in two hits. Feeling good about my choice to have him in my party right now, haha.

I actually did this just a little bit before your message, and it actually made me win. Elesa was curb stomping me hard. Zebra absorbs Thunder Waves, is really fast, has a flame move to kill my magnemite in one hit, Volt Switch one shots Dewott and it hits pretty hard. Barely won with the Trapinch I just got, but glad I got it.

I awoke early this morning, slipping out the door without a sound as not to arouse my mother. There's nothing I hate more than long, sappy goodbyes, and I didn't want her to change her mind before I could leave.

I met Brett at the entrance to Route 19, and we set off together on our journey. Bianca had suggested I catch a few more Pokémon to add to my party (and had graciously provided me with 5 Pokéballs as a parting gift), but after scouring the tall grass for a while I deemed none of them worthy of a slot on my team. Jake did get lots of early battle experience out of it though, so it wasn't all for naught. Brett decided to go ahead to Floccesy Town on his own, saying that if I was going to do this every route then I would just be slowing us down.

After I had been walking for quite some time, a young boy approached me and asked for a battle. I wanted to decline as I'm not overtly fond of children, but he insisted that the Trainer's Handbook stated that anyone challenged to a battle was obligated to accept. Two minutes and one sore loser later, I had arrived at Floccesy with a Level 8 (according to my PokéDex) Jake by my side.

I made a quick stop by the Pokémon Center to give Jake a rest, and asked the nurse if she had seen Brett. She replied that he was waiting for me at Floccesy Ranch. Knowing how impatient he could be, I hurried past Route 20 (defeating a few more simpering children along the way) and made my entrance into the Ranch.

I searched the grass to see if any strong Pokémon would show up but alas, they were all built like tin cans and hit like a bag of marshmallows. Once I was done, I strolled on up to the Ranch's main building, where I was approached by Brett and the Ranch's two owners. They each took turns explaining that a Herdier belonging to a farmhand had gone missing (highly unusual for a Pokémon that loyal; Desmond's never gave up on him even after he had gone missing), and that they needed us to help find it.

Brett and I worked our way to the deep forest behind the Ranch, and Brett even managed to catch a Pidove, the first new member of his team. While he was distracted by his achievement, I noticed something rather strange: a very faint voice was coming from a hollow in the woods. I followed it to find a red-headed man dressed all in black wrestling with the missing Herdier.

As he turned to face my approaching footsteps, I noticed a small black and blue symbol on his chest. It seemed oddly familiar, but I couldn't really remember how. He began to ramble about controlling Pokémon and obtaining "ultimate power," but I wrote him off as just another power-hungry screwball. We used to monitor the world news at Trainer's School, and between Team Rocket in Kanto, Galactic in Johto, and Aqua in Hoenn, it seemed as though everyone and their father were trying to achieve ultimate power through one means or another.

I would've turned him into the police, but he managed to escape after whipping a Technical Machine at my head to cover his getaway. The disk contained the move Frustration, but I had little use for it considering how attached Jake seemed to be to me. Brett arrived just in time to help me carry the tired-out Herdier back to his owner, who rewarded us with a good meal and some well-deserved rest.

No sooner then I had left the Ranch, I received a call from Bianca on my Xtransceiver (a gift from my mother so we could stay in touch while I was at school). She excitedly exclaimed that the long-awaited Gym had been opened in my hometown of Aspertia, and that the Gym Leader was now formally accepting challenges. When I asked her who the Leader was, she dodged my question and abruptly hung up after wishing me luck.

I dreaded having to face my mother after leaving so suddenly, but I decided to make the trek back to Aspertia anyways. The Gym was on the other side of town from my home; maybe if I was lucky, she'd never even know I was there.

-----------------------------------------------------------

As luck would have it, I managed to make it to the Gym without any eventful run-ins, and strode through the doors confident that I would exit with my first Gym badge. As I gazed up at the pedestal on which sat the Leader, I was shocked to see that it was none other than Cheren, my brother's longtime rival and friend. I asked him the usual questions regarding Desmond but the answers were both unfortunate and familiar. I would have talked for longer, but he cut me off and stated that as a Gym Leader, it was his duty to test my strength in battle and nothing else.

Happy to oblige him, I called forth Jake, who sprung from his Pokéball with great drive and excitement, as if he knew what was about to go down. Cheren called on a Lillipup, who according to my PokéDex was rather strong (being only one level lower than Jake). I immediately ordered a Water Gun from Jake, soaking the poor dog with a concentrated stream. Gritting his teeth, Cheren called for Lillipup to use Work Up, the pup bracing itself against the ground as its tiny muscles tensed and its power level grew. I knew that if I could not defeat it soon, it would bring a premature end to my Gym challenge. Jake shot forth another Water Gun, but this time his attack was cut short by the small dog tackling him off of his feet. Jake struck the ground with such force and impact that I thought he might not get up, but the valiant little otter rose from the earth with a triumphant smirk on his face. I rushed to his side and quenched him with a bottle of Fresh Water I had stored in my pack, bringing his stamina back to a more reasonable level while Cheren's Lillipup just growled. With a final cry, Jake launched the decisive Water Gun before the puppy could act, knocking it out cold and earning me my first badge, the Basic Badge. As I secured the shiny medal in my case, Cheren handed me the TM for Work Up, stating that although Jake could not make use of it, perhaps a future member of my team would. We said our goodbyes and I returned to the Floccesy Pokémon Center for the night, flinging my Oshawott into the air in victory the whole way.

Tomorrow I head towards Virbank, and the apparent end of my trip. I don't want to make Mom angry or worrisome, but I will track Desmond round the caves of Mistralton, and round the building of Castelia and round perdition's flames before I give him up.

I hope I find refuge in sleep, for I have a great feeling of uneasiness for what lies ahead for me.

-Amaya Kane

Velcro Fly

-Captures Level 14 Zubat
-Trains it a ton of levels
-End of Training, finds Shiny Level 14 Zubat.

FUCK

I caught a shiny Golbat while grinding for the Elite 4 in Heart Gold.

Totally made it into a shiny Crobat which is one of my favorite pokemon ever. Even nicknamed it Violet. Good thing it was a female!

beanman25

Nice Shiny! Only shiny I've gotten was Shiny Ho-Oh in HG, that I didn't realize was shiny until much much later. I thought he just looked like that in HG.

Kamek

I'm planning on getting white version. Is it possible for someone to trade me the "challenge key" from the very beginning of the game so I can play through it with a higher difficulty?

Mr. Sam

Just cancelled my pre-order. I'll go into town on the day to make sure I get it, even if it costs me a pound or two more.

As for shinies, I've got these:

gtzyX.png
vGGGu.png

Top Bottom