• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Do you still need certain badges to use HMs outside battle? So you can't be traded an HM mule early in the game and access high level areas?

Suairyu

Banned
I just saved the game, then bought 98 Escape Ropes. Time for entrepreneurial skills!

edit - actually, selling items is at a loss, right? Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. Still, cheap revives!

Gravijah

Zzoram said:
Do you still need certain badges to use HMs outside battle? So you can't be traded an HM mule early in the game and access high level areas?

Most of the stuff in the game isn't blocked by HMs, but rather people. I'm not sure if you can use the HMs with badges though, because it's never mentioned anywhere.

Ravidrath said:
Yeah, just realized this... still haven't run into one in this cave, either, though!

Just Boldores and Woobats, so far.

Huh, I don't remember Woobats... Might not have encountered any, though.

TheOGB

Banned
Izayoi said:
That would be fucking awesome. Do you need Oshawott? I'll have to breed him first.

I'm on White version in the Google Docs list.
Added you.

Oh great, there I go and muck things up again. >_<

Ravidrath said:
Are Axews super rare in Mistralton Cave, or are they only on certain floors?

I'm trying to get one right by the exit to Icirrus, but haven't run into one in quite some time.

Do you need one? I bred a bunch that are sitting in a box

Ravidrath

razgriz417 said:
Do you need one? I bred a bunch that are sitting in a box

Nah, that's OK - just going to keep looking.

May as well explore this cave and get the fighting quadruped, while I look for one.

Wiseblade

Ravidrath said:
What are some good HM slaves, this time around?

Seems like Skarmory and Poliwrath are still the kings.
357Tropius.png
+
054Psyduck.png
= Complete HM coverage.

Wiseblade said:
Noice.

Have you thought about running something like:

Throh @ Leftovers
- Toxic
- Payback
- Substitue
- Circle Throw

You come in, create a really bulky sub and spread Toxic across the opposing party. If they try to switch in a counter or set up on you, then Circle throw them back out. Payback hit those pesky Ghosts for Super Effective. The sub protects you from status and gives you a chance to CT anything that really threatens you and you get to make another one when they try to switch back in.

As you can probably tell, I just thought this up in the last five minutes. ¬.¬

That's actually something I've considered, I was just not sure about Substitute because it would tend to make Guts pointless, but after all I guess that just gives me opportunities to switch in on stuff and still be effective should I have to use Throh a bit differently than the set would suggest. I suppose even minimal investment in Attack (since I need the bulk to make that work in the first place) would be enough to deal significant damage with Guts in play. Overall this might be a bit more versatile than I initially thought.

I'll definitely need a Wish Passer and something to deal with Skarmory since that one would most likely break subs like they're nothing and will laugh at Toxic.

kiryani said:
GTS Negotiations can be so frustrating at times. Someone just flashed a level 1 charmander at me then quit :(
Yea but it can be fun sometimes. Atlease you have a way to tell people yes or no even if it's with smilies. lol.

Ravidrath

Wiseblade said:
357Tropius.png
+
054Psyduck.png
= Complete HM coverage.

I meant Gen 5'ers, but that's good to know.

Also a bit surprised Psyduck can use Strength!

Getting rid of Rock Smash, Rock Climb and Defog as HMs definitely helps with the number of possible viable slaves, though.

Raxus

Ravidrath said:
I meant Gen 5'ers, but that's good to know.

Also a bit surprised Psyduck can use Strength!

Getting rid of Rock Smash, Rock Climb and Defog as HMs definitely helps with the number of possible viable slaves, though.
Sadly they added in Dive. So you still have the 6 HM's plus Flash and Dig. You need at least two slaves in your party (which is very annoying).

Gravijah

Raxus said:
Sadly they added in Dive. So you still have the 6 HM's plus Flash and Dig. You need at least two slaves in your party (which is very annoying)

Oh man, the biggest smile just came across my face.

Andrefpvs

For the love of... I've been catching Munna for the last 3 hours and I've caught over 60 of them... and not a single one of them is of a Timid nature... SO FRUSTRATING!

Anyone out there happen to have a Munna with the ability Synchronize and a Timid nature? Or anything with Synchronize+Timid at all?

Izayoi

Banned
Raxus said:
Sadly they added in Dive. So you still have the 6 HM's plus Flash and Dig. You need at least two slaves in your party (which is very annoying).
Except you don't because to progress in the story you need to use Cut ONCE and Strength only a handful of times. Hell, I think that Strength is actually optional as well. Convenience only.

I trained a full team of six with no HM slaves just fine.

Teknoman

Raxus said:

Maybe, but who doesnt like to go underwater? Not to mention the last time we had dive, the theme was really great.

Raxus

That is true, progress wise. Alot of the hidden goodies toward the end game require at least one HM slave in the party.

I don't get some of the exclusive pokemon stuff, I still got a Petilil in Black. What an amazing pokemon! So I am guessing some pokemons are in both games, just not available wild.

Ravidrath

Izayoi said:
Except you don't because to progress in the story you need to use Cut ONCE and Strength only a handful of times. Hell, I think that Strength is actually optional as well. Convenience only.

I trained a full team of six with no HM slaves just fine.

Yeah, there is only one critical path HM use in the entire game, and that's to Cut the tree that allows access to the Dreamyard.

I'd still like an optimal set of two Pokemon to adventure and do optional things with, though... will have to do some research to find the best combo.

Looks like both of the evolved Fossils will get you everything except Flash, which is pretty cool, and they'd be fun Pokemon to carry around.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Breezed through the entire 8th Gym using Beartic's Icicle Crash alone. :)

Poor Elgyem/Beeheeyem though...it never got to do anything in the Gyms since it had no type advantages. Guess there's Marshal though...

Raxus said:
Sadly? SADLY?! IMO that pretty much confirmed Gen 3 remake!

SlickVic

Ravidrath said:
The girl's C-Gear is super pink and annoying... recommend the boy for that alone.

It doesn't really annoy me, but it still boggles my mind why the color can't be customized.
Speaking of the UI, I also wish you could customize what shows up on the bottom screen by default. Usually have the C Gear turned off since I rarely need it and I'd much prefer HG/SS set up of just showing the main menu by default. Not a major issue or anything, but it feels like the option would've been easy enough to implement.

Balb

Looking for a Snivy and/or Tepig. I don't have many of the new Pokemon but I have just about every Pokemon from Gens 1-4 that I can trade. Let me know what you need (I don't want to use GTS).

Well so far I caught Cobalion, Virizion, and Terrakion. Encountered Tornadus twice and it fled both times. I need a Pokémon with Mean Look that is high level lol.

Just trying to fill up the Unova dex.

Andrefpvs

I'm really getting desperate here... I have a Timid Natu with Synchronize n my SoulSilver, but I need it before beating the main story...

Would anyone be so kind as to take it from me and migrate it to a 5th Gen game? That's perhaps a bit too much to ask for, so if there's anything you can catch up to gym 7 in White that you want I might be able to catch that for you.

Raxus

MidnightScott said:
Well so far I caught Cobalion, Virizion, and Terrakion. Encountered Tornadus twice and it fled both times. I need a Pokémon with Mean Look that is high level lol.

Just trying to fill up the Unova dex.
Tornadus(or his lightning counterpart for white) is the only wandering pokemon in the game. Just save yourself the headache and use the masterball on him.

Ravidrath

SlickVic said:
It doesn't really annoy me, but it still boggles my mind why the color can't be customized.
Speaking of the UI, I also wish you could customize what shows up on the bottom screen by default. Usually have the C Gear turned off since I rarely need it and I'd much prefer HG/SS set up of just showing the main menu by default. Not a major issue or anything, but it feels like the option would've been easy enough to implement.

The C-Gear is a weird thing, in general.

I wish they had taken the Poketch concept and merged it with the C-Gear, because right now the C-Gear feels like a big step backwards.

In general, Gamefreak seems to have typically Japanese code-sharing/redoing problems.

For example, there are overworld sprites for every Pokemon in the game, yet they didn't keep the following from HG/SS.

There isn't a smooth progression of new features... every generation sacrifices something from the previous remake or whatever because they just seem... disorganized?

Wiseblade

Holy Order Sol said:
That's actually something I've considered, I was just not sure about Substitute because it would tend to make Guts pointless, but after all I guess that just gives me opportunities to switch in on stuff and still be effective should I have to use Throh a bit differently than the set would suggest. I suppose even minimal investment in Attack (since I need the bulk to make that work in the first place) would be enough to deal significant damage with Guts in play. Overall this might be a bit more versatile than I initially thought.

I'll definitely need a Wish Passer and something to deal with Skarmory since that one would most likely break subs like they're nothing and will laugh at Toxic.
Yeah, Skarmory laughs at this set. But at least with the way battles work in B/W you would be able to see it coming.

Roto13

Gravijah said:
Don't they pop up with the dowsing machine? If not I need to go check every single garbage can. :(
Dowsing Machine does pick up stuff in garbage cans. Only like two garbage cans in the whole game actually have anything in them, though.

Zzoram said:

You do need the badges, but it never tells you that. You get the HMs after you get the badges required to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom