• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
YEAHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I finally got my router to work with WEP :)

My friend code is:
3009 7599 2097
Can I be added to the list?

Anyone want to trade? Is it possible to get first Gen pokemon at my point in the game by trading (have 4 badges)?

Reich

Sutton Dagger said:
YEAHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I finally got my router to work with WEP :)

My friend code is:
3009 7599 2097
Can I be added to the list?

Anyone want to trade? Is it possible to get first Gen pokemon at my point in the game by trading (have 4 badges)?

No.

But we can trade poke if you want to get boost exp! =)

1377 6517 7066

Balb

Am I the only one who misses real rivals? Seems like the past few gens have just been white washed frenemies who have no real reason to battle you. In fact, Cheren (or w/e his name) lazily challenges you after you get a badge or two by simply saying "let's see how much better you are" or something to that effect. Just seems kind of tame and safe. Guess they want to attract as many people as possible.

Reich said:
No.

But we can trade poke if you want to get boost exp! =)

1377 6517 7066

Damn... How did someone get a Ditto and Bulbusaur a few pages back by trading?

Ok what should we trade, have you got White or Black?

Emitan

Balb said:
Am I the only one who misses real rivals? Seems like the past few gens have just been white washed frenemies who have no real reason to battle you. In fact, Cheren (or w/e his name) lazily challenges you after you get a badge or two by simply saying "let's see how much better you are" or something to that effect. Just seems kind of tame and safe. Guess they want to attract as many people as possible.
I hate Cheren. He has even less personality than Silver. No one will ever be as good as Blue. "Smell ya later!"

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Can anyone help me evolve my Karrablast? You'll need a Shelmet to do so though.

I'll be on for a few more hours if anyone is interested!

Teknoman

Balb said:

I dunno...unless something happens before the end of the game, Cheren looks like he might show up in another gen as a bad guy. The guy seems like he has some sort of ulterior motive with his "i've got to get stronger...i'll destroy everyone and become the champion...thats all that matters" beliefs.

EDIT: I wonder how other ferris wheel trainers will play out?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I think after 3 gens of no new types, there could be a few new pokemon types added for Pokemon Grey or Gen 6

Maybe Special / Physical types which had slightly different damage modifiers than the other types, with effectiveness charts loosely based upon the special/physical split among types in gens 1-3?

Idea:
Bug, Flying, Fighting, Ghost, Ground, Normal, Poison, Rock, and Steel-type attacks have 10% boost when used by pokemon of type Physical.

Physical type moves are super effective against Psychic and Special-type pokemon, and vice-versa.

Dark, Dragon, Electric, Fire, Grass, Ice, Psychic, and Water-type attacks receive 10% boosts when used by pokemon of type Special.

Special type moves are super-effective against Fighting and Physical-type pokemon, and vice-versa.

a Physical pokemon which uses a Physical-type attack does not receive a STAB bonus. same with Special pokemom which use Special type attacks.

all Physical-type moves are physical (That is, they are based around attack/Defensne).

All Special-type moves are Special (based around special attack/ special defense stats)

A physical move used by a Physical pokemon receives a 10% boost, while a special move used by a Special pokemon receives a 10% boost.

In other words:
When a Physical pokemon uses Focus Blast (a special move of Fighting type), it receives a 10% boost.

When a Physical pokemon uses Shadow Punch (a physical move of Ghost type), it receives a 20% boost.

When a Physical move is used against a Mewtwo, it is super-effective. (Assuming Mewtwo is Psychic type)

I suppose you could also make the move types which receive a 10% boost for Special pokemon receive a 10% reduction for Physical pokemon. Same for special moves used by Physical types.

In this case, Focus Blast, when used by a Physical pokemon, would receive +10% (for being a Fighting type) and -10% (for being a special move), for a net change of 0%.

GaimeGuy

Or just make it 5% changes and make the Physical/Special distinction a new attribute of all pokemon, instead of new pokemon types. :),

Neiteio

Question: Does trading Pokemon make them weaker? Or is there a way I can, say, trade my Pokemon to evolve them and then still be able to train them to their full potential?

GaimeGuy

Neiteio said:
Question: Does trading Pokemon make them weaker? Or is there a way I can, say, trade my Pokemon to evolve them and then still be able to train them to their full potential?
huh? No, trading pokemon shouldn't affect their strength at all.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Neiteio said:
Trading doesn't do anything to Pokemon's stats. Unless they evolve in the trade. That's it.

Neiteio

GaimeGuy said:
huh? No, trading pokemon shouldn't affect their strength at all.
I just wanted to make sure. The conventional wisdom used to be that it did (said so in player's guides and such), but I think that was before knowledge of EVs was widespread. In other words, I suspect people used to think their traded Pokemon were weaker because they grew faster and accumulated incorrect EVs more quickly. Whereas now we know about EVs and how to remove them/rearrange them/control them... Correct?

Neiteio

Forceatowulf said:
Trading doesn't do anything to Pokemon's stats. Unless they evolve in the trade. That's it.
When you say "unless they evolve in a trade," you mean the trading affects their stats insofar as they change forms and become more powerful, correct?

Balb

Neiteio said:
I just wanted to make sure. The conventional wisdom used to be that it did (said so in player's guides and such), but I think that was before knowledge of EVs was widespread. In other words, I suspect people used to think their traded Pokemon were weaker because they grew faster and accumulated incorrect EVs more quickly. Whereas now we know about EVs and how to remove them/rearrange them/control them... Correct?

The EV system that's used now was introduced in Gen 3. Things were different in the first 2 gens (for example, using rare candies wasn't a good idea if you wanted the strongest Pokemon possible).

GaimeGuy

Neiteio said:
I think you're misreading the guides. Pokemon that are traded will grow faster than pokemon which are not traded (that is, they receive experience boosts), but they don't grow to higher levels or higher stats.

Boogiepop

Balb said:
Despite not having one of the starter Pokemon, I'd say N is more or less the "rival" of this game
even with his ties to the "evil team"
and he does his job pretty well... And I also found Belle a good bit more interesting than Cheren throughout, honestly.

GaimeGuy

Neiteio said:
When you say "unless they evolve in a trade," you mean the trading affects their stats insofar as they change forms and become more powerful, correct?
yes. The base stats of each pokemon species are different. Thus, when you evolve a pokemon, its stats change. So if a pokemon evolves via a trade, yes, it gets stronger, but its the evolution, not the trade, that changes its sstats.

Balb

Mank said:
Despite not having one of the starter Pokemon, I'd say N is more or less the "rival" of this game
even with his ties to the "evil team"
and he does his job pretty well... And I also found Belle a good bit more interesting than Cheren throughout, honestly.

He sure is a nice rival to heal your Pokemon before you face him for the final time :p

Ravidrath

Oh, awesome - just read that you can get a free Master Ball for doing 50 trades.

Might need to start wantonly trading with you people now. :p

Teknoman

Ravidrath said:
Oh, awesome - just read that you can get a free Master Ball for doing 50 trades.

Might need to start wantonly trading with you people now. :p

Whoa. Does this count for GTS too? I mean im about to post a list of Pokemon I have to trade for offers, but still.

Izayoi

Banned
Hahaha. Just beat
Cynthia
with a Haxorus who was 17 levels lower than her
Garchomp

DD'd five times while her
Spiritomb
fucked around with double-team.

Izayoi said:
Hahaha. Just beat
Cynthia
with a Haxorus who was 17 levels lower than her
Garchomp

DD'd five times while her
Spiritomb
fucked around with double-team.
lol I did the same thing.

iirate

I'm not seeing nearly enough love for Whimsicott, who has easily been my MVP ever since I caught him as a Cottonee at the start. Prankster allows him to use Stun Spore, Growth and Leech Seed as priority moves, and Mega/Giga Drain (gets Giga Drain at 26, AND it's buffed from the previous gens) packs a punch after a few Growths.

I'm leveling a group of six evenly, and this Whimsicott has saved the rest of their asses so many times it's funny. Often, especially in the longer caves in this game, I'll get distracted searching every nook and cranny, lose a few guys to reckless mistakes, and just use Whimsicott to plow through the rest of the place and safety. Even super effective attacks rarely do much given his more than adequate SpD for in-game purposes along with Leech Seed. Occasionally they'll hit me with something that actually hurts, and by that point, I'm usually so jacked up on Growths (and they're paralyzed), that one Giga Drain undoes all of their work.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Teknoman said:
If I run into one, i'll let you know (unless you snag one before then).
Thanks. I'm hoping I get a trade done soon though. I'm EV training some eggs I hatched and I want to evolve Karrablast ASAP so it will be a much less painful process.

Izayoi

Banned
iirate said:
I'm not seeing nearly enough love for Whimsicott...
Eh? I was under the impression that pretty much everyone loved her.

I mean, I dunno. She's one of my favorite new Pokemon this Gen.

iirate

Izayoi said:
Eh? I was under the impression that pretty much everyone loved her.

I mean, I dunno. She's one of my favorite new Pokemon this Gen.

I don't know about the competitive scene (I'm not looking into the metagame for this gen until I beat the main story), but I just searched the entire thread, and two teams mentioned in over 6000 posts actually are using one. I think the stigma of how bad a lot of early grass types normally are have kept people away from this gem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom