• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Wiseblade said:
Funnily enough, I've found this B/W's water selection kind of lackluster, the I was really impressed by the grass layout.

Snivy still rules all though.

770e84bf1a20.jpg

ZZMitch

So I have always played Pokemon really casually, but I kind of want to start trading pokemon with gaffers and stuff. I have never traded pokemon at all before, how does it work?

Merovin

ZZMitch said:
So I have always played Pokemon really casually, but I kind of want to start trading pokemon with gaffers and stuff. I have never traded pokemon at all before, how does it work?

Once you get the Pal Pad, exchange your friend code with us (put it on the form in the OP), and submit your request and we can trade away, if we have what you seek!

Wichu

ZZMitch said:
Get their friend code, input it into the Pal Pad (a key item in-game), then go to the top floor of a Pokémon Centre and talk to the middle receptionist (Wi-Fi club). If you both do this, you'll see each other inside; one of you then invites the other to trade.

Actually, just read the manual :p

Lkr

so now I have a herdier, oshawott at lvl 16
timbuss lv 14
pansear lv 13
blitzle lv 12
grinding ftw :\

UberTag

Delio said:
There is a lack of water types in the game for sure. You get at most three i think that arent on a water route. (i might be missing a few)
And Oshawott still smokes them in Special Attack.
Little guy has staying power within the proper game.
His usefulness only drops when you bring in older gen critters and competitive play.

Android18a said:
I still hope that when Pokemon goes 3D it'll have a character creator at the start so we can choose how we look through the game and online, with consistent looks and fully customisable. It'd be awesome if you could buy new accessories and outfits for your character to wear in shops too.

Like a more advanced version of the Pokemon Battle Revolution avatar system, really.
Nintendo needs to rip off some of the ideas from Resonance of Fate. I must have spent like 10 hours in that game finding new outfits hidden in random places, dressing up my characters and clothes shopping.

Magnus

Random questions:

1. Have the various game-link setups Nintendo has provided over the years made it conceivable to bring Pokemon caught way back in RBY on the original gameboy all the way through to today's B/W?

2. If not, have all 649 Pokemon been made available somehow (cube/Wii game unlockables, contests, D/P, etc) such that it's possible to have all 649 in B/W?

3. Any 3DS support at all?

I haven't been bitten by the pokebug since G/S ten years ago, but might bite with a 3DS come April. It's gonna drive me crazy if I can't catch them all, haha.

shahkur

Played about 4 hours of this now with 2 gym badges so far. And I gotta say, THE BATTLE SPEED IS A HUGE IMPROVEMENT, which was the worst thing about the last gen. Started with tepig. I'm honestly finding the game quite challenging, moreso than any other pokemon. But maybe it's just me.

Why is this game so damn addicting? Do any of you take battle animations off?

Delio

UberTag said:
And Oshawott still smokes them in Special Attack.
Little guy has staying power within the proper game.
His usefulness only drops when you bring in older gen critters and competitive play..

Well duh he smokes them in special. Two of them are Physical attackers/Tanks. :p

Lkr

shahkur said:
Played about 4 hours of this now with 2 gym badges so far. And I gotta say, THE BATTLE SPEED IS A HUGE IMPROVEMENT, which was the worst thing about the last gen. Started with tepig. I'm honestly finding the game quite challenging, moreso than any other pokemon. But maybe it's just me.

Why is this game so damn addicting? Do any of you take battle animations off?
I agree that the game is way harder. how do I do a wifi event btw?

Okay, two questions:

1. Im trying to do the liberty pass thing and when I choose the mystery gift, it just keeps searching and then says there is no gift available?

2. If I want the grass monkey as a gift from that guy, which starter do i pick, tepig?

Plasmid

inner-G said:
If you trade someone a Pokemon, do you lose it, or do they basically create a new copy?

if youre talking in general it goes this way.

You have pokemon A he has pokemon B.

You both trade, A goes to him, B goes to you, the trade is over.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
robotzombie said:
Okay, two questions:

1. Im trying to do the liberty pass thing and when I choose the mystery gift, it just keeps searching and then says there is no gift available?

2. If I want the grass monkey as a gift from that guy, which starter do i pick, tepig?
Maybe the event is up for you yet. Try again on Monday perhaps.

Yep choose Tepig, but as stated earlier you can catch the monkeys by yourself.

The monkey you get will be whatever your starter is super effective against.

Zertez

Strange, looks like they put a name filter on the game. My trainer has always been named Dick, but it wont let me use the name in White. It wont accept it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Zertez said:
Strange, looks like they put a name filter on the game. My trainer has always been named Dick, but it wont let me use the name in White. It wont accept it.
Poor Richards....

Thanks

Also, is there a lot of "don't evolve X pokemon when you are first offered, because you should wait to get Y skill" situations in this game?

Plasmid

robotzombie said:
Thanks

Also, is there a lot of "don't evolve X pokemon when you are first offered, because you should wait to get Y skill" situations in this game?

I've been looking into Snivy and i'm not going to evolve mine until level 28 because by then it'll know Leaf blade slam and mega drain around 10 levels earlier than it's evolutionary form.

Wiseblade

Plasmid said:
I've been looking into Snivy and i'm not going to evolve mine until level 28 because by then it'll know Leaf blade slam and mega drain around 10 levels earlier than it's evolutionary form.
I'm not so sure that's a good idea. Snivy simply isn't strong or bulky enough to be of any use in the Second, Third or Fourth Gyms unevolved.

Shiggie

I just got to the first town in Black (white in on the way). Did i miss the running shoe or something, or is it later?

Shiggie said:
I just got to the first town in Black (white in on the way). Did i miss the running shoe or something, or is it later?

Please tell me by running shoe you mean some kind of item that changes the horrible walking speed, because it really feels like I'm walking through quicksand in this game

Spruchy

Wiseblade said:
I'm not so sure that's a good idea. Snivy simply isn't strong or bulky enough to be of any use in the Second, Third or Fourth Gyms unevolved.
Lol I have 6 badges and unevolved Snivvy is doing just fine (not overleveled either).

Suairyu

Banned
Does Drilbur only come out to play at night or something? I have wasted the best part of forty minutes running around wellspring cave, waiting for shaking ground and only finding rare items inside the shaking ground. Not one Drilbur. It's very frustrating.

Merovin

Suairyu said:
Does Drilbur only come out to play at night or something? I have wasted the best part of forty minutes running around wellspring cave, waiting for shaking ground and only finding rare items inside the shaking ground. Not one Drilbur. It's very frustrating.

Shaking ground I'm afraid, I was lucky and met Drilbur by accident. ;)

shahkur

I always thought that if you cancel a pokemon's evolution, then they never get a chance to evolve again. Is this right?

Plasmid

Holy crap, the music on
A gym leader's final pokemon
is AWESOME.

shahkur said:
I always thought that if you cancel a pokemon's evolution, then they never get a chance to evolve again. Is this right?

Not at all, it'll try to evolve on it's next level up, you can cancel all the way to 100, but it will not evolve after that.

Ilúvatar

shahkur said:

No you get a chance to evolve it at every level if you cancel an evolution (unless you have an Everstone equipped)

Suairyu

Banned
Merovin said:
Shaking ground I'm afraid, I was lucky and met Drilbur by accident. ;)
I know it's shaking ground, but every shaking ground I walk into in the Wellspring cave merely produces a semi-rare item, not a Pokémon to fight.

: (

backlot

Magnus said:
Random questions:

1. Have the various game-link setups Nintendo has provided over the years made it conceivable to bring Pokemon caught way back in RBY on the original gameboy all the way through to today's B/W?

2. If not, have all 649 Pokemon been made available somehow (cube/Wii game unlockables, contests, D/P, etc) such that it's possible to have all 649 in B/W?

I haven't been bitten by the pokebug since G/S ten years ago, but might bite with a 3DS come April. It's gonna drive me crazy if I can't catch them all, haha.
1. You can't trade from the original RBY or GSC but anything from the GBA games and onward can be transfered.

2. Yes all the Pokemon are available in some form.

3. You can play the game on a 3DS since it is backwards compatible with DS games but there aren't any added features or anything.

D-Pad

Finally got my friend code. Sheesh. Remember when the only requirements to unlocking trade was to deliver Oak's Parcel? Anyway, I added it to the list and am in the process of adding everyone else, for the heck of it. :p

Edit - Actually that's pretty pointless isn't it?

carlo6529

I'm thinking up picking this up. The only thing is, I played Heartgold not a month ago. Debating whether I should hold off or not.

Foxix Von

Woooo! Just started White! This is awesome!

I feel like I'm actually playing a real new pokemon game. Loving the evolution in direction, I really like that they don't screw around with the beginning. They just plop you down and say, "Your a pokemon trainer now go!"

OMG Aero

Magnus said:
Random questions:

1) RBY and GSC are not compatible with any main series games after them because of a change in how Pokemon stats are handled, but through using the Pal Park in DPP/HGSS and the Poketransfer in BW, you can bring Pokemon from Ruby and Sapphire onwards into BW.

2) Before Black and White came out it was possible to get all 493 Pokemon (I did so in Soul Silver). At the moment you cannot legally get all Pokemon from Black and White because their events haven't been released, but they will in due time.

3) When you play Black and White on a 3DS, the game thinks you are playing it on a DSi so you get the enhancements that would give you (video chat, WPA support).

robotzombie said:
Thanks

This is mostly the case for Pokemon who evolve through evolution stones, like the elemental monkeys and Munna. A great deal of the time, Pokemon who have evolved because of a stone will not learn any more moves by levelling.

Huff

Banned
Waiting for my latest pay check to clear before I get this. Probably going to be on Monday or Tuesday. I might try getting involved in the metagame this gen, but not sure if I'll have the time.

My younger brothers would spend hundreds of hours breeding and working on stats. Not sure if I'm up for that.

Wichu

Just beat the first Gym :)

Current team:
Pauline/Purrloin lv9
Osho/Oshawott lv12
Searo/Pansear lv12
Lillo/Lillipup lv14
Patrick/Patrat lv12

As you can probably tell, I'm taking my time :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom