• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruceh

Banned
So I don't plan on evolving anybody in my game, and I always choose grass. However, Snivy is awful. His attack stats suck. Good thing friend traded me a Bulbasaur.

Anyway, my team so far after 4th badge
Lillipup lv26
Timburr lv29
Snivy lv27
Victini lv27
Watchdog HM Slave

Emitan

Remember how I said I was happy because not getting this till next week meant I could spend all weekend on my homework? I've just been reading this thread instead :/ I need my Pokefix. I think I'm going to play Soul Silver now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just got to Accumula Town. Some thoughts:

• This game oozes polish. Even from the boot-up, where the main menu has a splash of design now instead of looking like MS-DOS crossed with the blue screen of death. The X menu is slick, and being able to drag and drop items and moves make the game feel like it was made for the DS (finally?) I was even surprised by the foot tapping that Cheren did. Just lots of attention to detail all around. The menus in past games have been a sticking point for me just because as a website designer, I know good and bad UX. HG/SS helped some but it was mostly inconsistent -- B/W feel completely consistent in comparison.
  • The animations are awesome. The idle animations really liven things up, as do the numerous camera transitions. I said wow. Even the animations in the battle menu... It's like comparing Android 1.0 to Android 3.0, the difference is really stark.
  • Everything is blazing fast omg.
  • Some things missed from HG/SS: L to A option and the main menu always being present on the bottom screen. Also, tapping the touchscreen acting as A for dialogue. These games seem to go back to the Platinum mindset of "touch screen for a few things, buttons for everything else." HG/SS were designed so you could just play with the d-pad and touch screen, this is no longer the case unfortunately.

Zilch

Banned
Ha, there was a line out the door at the Gamestop at Atlantic Center (aka Brooklyn's Asshole). Didn't really want to wait, though I did download a Celebii before I took off. Think I'll just grab a copy on my lunch break tomorrow.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Goddamn. Why did I set myself the challenge to think of good nicknames for every Pokemon I catch?

q3oU9.jpg

Hot

Shiggie

Zilch said:
Ha, there was a line out the door at the Gamestop at Atlantic Center (aka Brooklyn's Asshole). Didn't really want to wait, though I did download a Celebii before I took off. Think I'll just grab a copy on my lunch break tomorrow.
I was there this morning. Dude go to Bestbuy Upstairs. I got mine there and there was no line.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Reading how easy it was to get Celebi is the US really makes me a sad panda. :( Why did the UK have to suffer so?

Cruceh

Banned
BGBW said:
Reading how easy it was to get Celebi is the US really makes me a sad panda. :( Why did the UK have to suffer so?
how do you get celibi? just go to gamestop and download?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I didn't manage to grab a Celebi either. I'm sure some good folks here will be willing to trade some Zorua eggs though.

Neiteio said:
Excellent, thank you. :)

Also, anyone know a parent for Ferroseed that could pass on both Spikes and Stealth Rock? And can both Spikes and Stealh Rock be on the field at the same time?
It appears Dwebble/Crustle could do it, provided you first breed Spikes on to it. Perhaps through Pineco/Forretress.

You can, in fact, have Spikes and Stealth Rock and Poison Spikes all in effect at the same time. Or you could in Gen4. I haven't read anything that says different this time around.

D-Pad

Just caught Woobat. It's pretty cool and not as ugly as I thought at first. I think it'll make an awesome addition to my team! :D

It... It's just not the same. :(

Merovin said:
Has anyone noticed with exp, the higher your level, the less exp you get? Is this new? Never noticed this in previous games.

Yes, that's new. It also works in reverse.

I traded a Scyther level 1 to my White from HeartGold, and it gained over 10,000 EXP from its first battle with an EXP Share against a trainer with a level 60 Pokemon. It hit like level 20 or something in one go. After that, the EXP steadily levelled out.

Try giving a level 1 an EXP share later in the game and see how much it gets from some of the later battles :)

ryan-ts

Android18a said:

I traded a Scyther level 1 to my White from HeartGold, and it gained over 10,000 EXP from its first battle with an EXP Share against a trainer with a level 60 Pokemon. It hit like level 20 or something in one go. After that, the EXP steadily levelled out.

Try giving a level 1 an EXP share later in the game and see how much it gets from some of the later battles :)

Awesome.

Wiseblade

D-Pad said:
Should I be afraid of using up my berries a la FireRed LeafGreen?
Kind of. Right now there's no way to replace them, but you'll be able to grow them on Dream World when that opens at the end of the month.

Suairyu

Banned
Merovin said:
As soon as you beat the first gym, there will be a short series of events and you'll get the Pal Pad, then you're free to trade with the world.

Has anyone noticed with exp, the higher your level, the less exp you get? Is this new? Never noticed this in previous games.
Yeah, new EXP system. Makes quickly levelling up low-level Pokémon so much easier, but on the flip side means you have to keep the opponent Pokémon somewhat challenging to make it worth your time.

Or just constantly fight Audinos.

D-Pad

Wiseblade said:
I just like to point out how happy I am that Pokémon names aren't in all caps anymore.
Yess, so good... Until the Pokemon start arriving from the past games, that is. :p

Blizzard

Banned
Android18a said:

Sorry if I'm just missing something obvious, but does this make it take even longer to grind to high levels (like L100 which I never did)? In previous games you always gained less EXP if you fought enemies of lower level, so once you were like L60 and there weren't many wild pokemon of equal or higher level, it took forever to gain EXP. In previous games you always required more EXP to get to each higher level though. Exactly what is different and how does it affect endgame/training grinding?

Merovin

Wiseblade said:
I just like to point out how happy I am that Pokémon names aren't in all caps anymore.

Me too, however on the Pal Pad, as I named my character "Matthew", it shows: Matthew'S Friend Code. Annoys the hell out of me every time.

btkadams

D-Pad said:
Yess, so good... Until the Pokemon start arriving from the past games, that is. :p
the ones from older games keep the caps? i would think they would be smart and have it so that unless they are nicknamed, the older gen pokemon would have their caps lowered.

Suairyu

Banned
Blizzard said:
Sorry if I'm just missing something obvious, but does this make it take even longer to grind to high levels (like L100 which I never did)? In previous games you always gained less EXP if you fought enemies of lower level, so once you were like L60 and there weren't many wild pokemon of equal or higher level, it took forever to gain EXP. In previous games you always required more EXP to get to each higher level though. Exactly what is different and how does it affect endgame/training grinding?
What you got was the standard amount of EXP. Pokémon at each level had a set amount of EXP they would drop upon defeat. It didn't matter if you faced them with a level 5 or a level 85, you'd receive the same amount. As you got further into the game, it seemed like Pokémon were dropping less EXP if you were higher level, because Pokémon of your level dropped so much more as standard. Now EXP dropped is proportional, so you get wildly different amounts depending on what level your own Pokémon are.

Merovin said:
Me too, however on the Pal Pad, as I named my character "Matthew", it shows: Matthew'S Friend Code. Annoys the hell out of me every time.
You're as OCD as me about such things. But yeah, a moment of legacy thinking for GameFreak. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll let you patch it a year from now for an extra $50.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
btkadams said:
the ones from older games keep the caps? i would think they would be smart and have it so that unless they are nicknamed, the older gen pokemon would have their caps lowered.

The games do have a bit flag to determine if it has been nicknamed or not. (Started employing it in Gen 4 I believe for like Japanese Pokemon that evolve, their name becomes the English evolution's name.) So it's probable that traded Pokemon from past games will be de-caps'd.

daffy

Banned
I hate you guys so much. Making me anticipate this game! I'll have it in a couple of hours but still :|

Just gonna be reading these impressions until then because I probably won't be back in here for a loooong while haha.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lol I love the Zelda-like pose the trainer does when he picks up an item. Should have just put in the Zelda jingle to match. :p

Teknoman

Whoo Pokemon time. Btw newcomers, just chill out and play the game. Dont worry too much about all the competitive nature stuff until after you beat the story. If you worry too much, then you'll find yourself being more frustrated than anything.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Just got past the first gym. I'm enjoying this so far.

My team:

Naso/Snivy - lvl 13
Fluffy/Lillipup - lvl 12
Jones/Panpour - lvl 11

Then I have two more that just take up space for now.

I do have a question though, I heard something about shaking grass/water/dirt? What is this?

upandaway

btkadams said:
GameFreak doesn't work that way.

Jinko

Kave_Man said:
I do have a question though, I heard something about shaking grass/water/dirt? What is this?

Rarer monsters hide in dust clouds, bubbling water and shaking grass (sometimes duo teams for the grass tho)

For example Drillbur will only appear in a dust cloud, Audino in shaking grass.

shahkur

People, what's the deal with Audino? I found it in some shaking grass. And it's got this awesome move called Double bitchslap. Kinda reminds me of Togepi/clefairy.

Kave_Man said:
J

The OP needs some FAQs that can be updated for all the repeated questions here :)

What is the shaking grass/dirt/water?

Generally indicators of rare Pokemon that can only be caught in those specific points. They're always worth giving a go, because at worst you'll find an Audino and get a nice EXP bonus from it. At best, it could be an Emolga, or a Pansear/Panpour/Pansage.

When can I trade?

When you've got the Pal Pad. Beat the first gym and clear Team Plasma out of the Dreamyard. Then you'll get the Pal Pad and C-Gear and be all set.

upandaway

shahkur said:
People, what's the deal with Audino? I found it in some shaking grass. And it's got this awesome move called Double bitchslap. Kinda reminds me of Togepi/clefairy.
Whoooaa. I just had an idea.

What if instead of special circumstances drawing out different Pokemon, they would also have a chance to draw the same Pokemon, but with a rare move.

It would increase the timesink by x100, but damn if I wouldn't flail in the grass all day trying to find a Pokemon with a 1% chance for a rare move. I totally would.

And I would also bonk my head on the wall when I see someone in the thread claim that he not only got the Pokemon with the rare move, but also shiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom