• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

Hanzou said:
Is it just me or is like 90% of the people on gaf getting the White version?

I've noticed that... I guess Zekrom and the White Forest are a draw.
Makes me want to get Black just to stray from the crowd.

Blizzard

Banned
Suairyu said:
What you got was the standard amount of EXP. Pokémon at each level had a set amount of EXP they would drop upon defeat. It didn't matter if you faced them with a level 5 or a level 85, you'd receive the same amount. As you got further into the game, it seemed like Pokémon were dropping less EXP if you were higher level, because Pokémon of your level dropped so much more as standard. Now EXP dropped is proportional, so you get wildly different amounts depending on what level your own Pokémon are.
Thanks, so if I understand correctly, let's say I battle L50 against wild L50. Say I get 2000 EXP. If I battle L60 against wild L50, I would get 1000 EXP for instance?

What you did not seem to mention was, does your pokemon still REQUIRE much more EXP for each level? So L50 to L51 takes 15000 EXP, but L60 to L61 takes 35000 EXP?

If that's the case, then it seems the end effect is even more grindy then before.

Hanzou said:
I got both because I don't have a problem with strong, black pokemon. </Penny Arcade> Seriously though, if I had to choose one version, white forest sounds better to me. Pokemon Black has extra characters, tasks, and maybe items. Pokemon White has like 32 version-unique pokemon to catch in that area?

Anyway, I can do both in theory! Even though I own like...diamond/pear/platinum, heart gold, soul silver, and haven't finished any of them as far as I know. XD

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hanzou said:

It's a 54/46% split in White's favor according to the OP's friend code survey.

Emitan

Luigi87 said:
I've noticed that... I guess Zekrom and the White Forest are a draw.
Makes me want to get Black just to stray from the crowd.
Get Black so you can trade me a Shroomish.

Woffls

Android18a said:
it could be an Emolga, or a Pansear/Panpour/Pansage
OH! I had no idea you could find these in the wild! Can anyone confirm this through having caught one themselves?

Currently played 35 hours of White, just got my 6th badge. It's taking so long because I'm hell bent on catching every single type of wild Pokémon I see. Caught 42, Seen 78. Still not very good, but I do leave the timer going when I make Tea and go on the internet.

shahkur

This reminds me. For a long while I honestly thought the Zekrom version was Black until I went in to buy it on Friday and I was like O_O WTF? White?

For me, it's mainly because of Zekrom.

Izayoi

Banned
I now own all seven DS main-series Pokemon titles, as well as all released guides and other launch paraphernalia.

Fuck yeah.

By the way, that Target thing you can just buy separate for eight bucks or whatever.

Woffls said:
OH! I had no idea you could find these in the wild! Can anyone confirm this through having caught one themselves?

Currently played 35 hours of White, just got my 6th badge. It's taking so long because I'm hell bent on catching every single type of wild Pokémon I see. Caught 42, Seen 78. Still not very good, but I do leave the timer going when I make Tea and go on the internet.

Catch Emolga in route 6. The Pans are in the Pinwheel Forest.

An-Det

I picked up both copies this morning and just finished transferring the starts plus the monkeys (Pansear, etc). Overall it took more than twice as long to get to the point where you can trade than in previous editions, which I wasnt thrilled about, but it is a good time so it wasnt too bad.

First impressions though, goddamn this is awesome.

Suairyu said:
Like all starters, he's still above-average and entirely useful. He just isn't so great in the first few gyms, is all. Think of it like picking Charmander in R/B.

Well I was mostly worried because he has really crappy offensive stats, but good defensive ones like Meganium. I feared he would be the Meganium of this generation. Of course, Meganium probably seemed so weak because most every gym had some type advantage against Grass in Gen II.

Teknoman

White for me since Zekrom, the eagle, and the celluar thing are cool looking. Still dont know the names yet since im trying to wait until I find em in game.

Nice on rare pokemon actually showing up on the field with different environmental effects. Makes things a little more exciting.

Suairyu

Banned
Blizzard said:
Thanks, so if I understand correctly, let's say I battle L50 against wild L50. Say I get 2000 EXP. If I battle L60 against wild L50, I would get 1000 EXP for instance?
Correct. Using your theoretical system, for battling a level L40 against a L50, you'd get 3000 EXP. I like this system.

What you did not seem to mention was, does your pokemon still REQUIRE much more EXP for each level? So L50 to L51 takes 15000 EXP, but L60 to L61 takes 35000 EXP?
I'd have to double check to be sure, but I'm almost certain the amount of EXP needed for each level jump has been increasing.

If that's the case, then it seems the end effect is even more grindy then before.
I'm presuming that's where the battlecentre and BlackCity comes into play. People who have played the Japanese version can give a better idea of the high-level endgame.

Magnus

OMG Aero said:
1) RBY and GSC are not compatible with any main series games after them because of a change in how Pokemon stats are handled, but through using the Pal Park in DPP/HGSS and the Poketransfer in BW, you can bring Pokemon from Ruby and Sapphire onwards into BW.

2) Before Black and White came out it was possible to get all 493 Pokemon (I did so in Soul Silver). At the moment you cannot legally get all Pokemon from Black and White because their events haven't been released, but they will in due time.

3) When you play Black and White on a 3DS, the game thinks you are playing it on a DSi so you get the enhancements that would give you (video chat, WPA support).

This is mostly the case for Pokemon who evolve through evolution stones, like the elemental monkeys and Munna. A great deal of the time, Pokemon who have evolved because of a stone will not learn any more moves by levelling.
Thanks, and to Backlot too.

But, if you can Somehow get Pokemon from the GBA games through to B/W, doesn't that mean Pokemon caught in RBY and GSC can be brought over too? I mean, they could be transferred through some method to the GBA games, right?

To clarify, I didn't mean a direct trade from gen 1 or 2 straight to B/W, but a series of trades based on whatever is available to connect the various games.

Anyone have any Tepig leveling advice? What skills to drop/keep, how long to wait before you let him evolve, etc?

Edit: Im currently lvl 13 and just got Defense Curl, wondering if I should drop Tail Whip or Odor Sleuth for it?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Magnus said:
But, if you can Somehow get Pokemon from the GBA games through to B/W, doesn't that mean Pokemon caught in RBY and GSC can be brought over too? I mean, they could be transferred through some method to the GBA games, right?

To clarify, I didn't mean a direct trade from gen 1 or 2 straight to B/W, but a series of trades based on whatever is available to connect the various games.

No, you cannot trade anything before the GBA games to the GBA games. Even though it could technically be possible, Game Freak chose not to allow it to stop the flow of hacked Pokemon and items, and because the stat structure is handled differently from GBA-on.

Blizzard

Banned
Suairyu said:
I'd have to double check to be sure, but I'm almost certain the amount of EXP needed for each level jump has been increasing.

I'm presuming that's where the battlecentre and BlackCity comes into play. People who have played the Japanese version can give a better idea of the high-level endgame.
Well, I hope that the battlecentre helps you level or something, because I don't think I ever grinded to L100, it always seemed like it would take days to do it, and I don't really understand why they would make leveling take even LONGER. :/ Anyone else have any input?

Magnus said:
Thanks, and to Backlot too.

There's a hard stop on going from GB/GBC games to GBA. There's no connectivity between them and the stat systems and ruleset changed substantially at that point.

It flows roughly like this. RBY > GSC xx RSE <> FRLG > DPPt <> HGSS > BW

Jinko

robotzombie said:
Anyone have any Tepig leveling advice? What skills to drop/keep, how long to wait before you let him evolve, etc?

Edit: Im currently lvl 13 and just got Defense Curl, wondering if I should drop Tail Whip or Odor Sleuth for it?

I'm currently level 30, have let him evolve to stage two with no restrictions, moves are Heat Crash, Take Down, Ember and Flame Charge (All offensive) equip him with a piece of charcoal when you get the chance.

Izayoi

Banned
1o2to.png

Not pictured: My DP V1 or Platinum guides, my limited edition BW guide which my friend is currently paging through, and my pre-DS era stuff.

Feels good.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
*bows*

Truly more of a Pokewhore than I.

Although I will be picking up Black later this summer, and Gray whenever that drops.

That Skyarrow Bridge section might have been impressive on some more powerful hardware, like the 3DS, but when they showed the skyline and all
those different camera angles
I just kept thinking how ugly it looks.

btkadams

would someone be able to trade me snivy + tepig eggs at any point today? i've just got the game now lol so i wouldnt have anything to offer. i understand that it's kind of a bother.

My all stars going into the second gym

Baconator level 14 baby fire pig dude: Reliable starter that is actually pretty weak since his attack is higher than his SPA, but he seems to have only learned SPA. I hope he gets better. EDIT: Looks like in one more level he gets a physical fire move.
Scout level 13 salute weasel thing: HM slave, but actually pretty decent as far as attack and speed go
Stronger level 16 stick carrying muscle kid: Needed for the second gym. I'm not sure he'll be sticking around
Chippy level 15 grass monkey: A grass pokemon who only knows vine whip is kind of terrible. Having fallen in love with reuseable TMs, he's now my berry stealing machine, since it seems tons of CPU players like berries and I haven't found a reliable way to get them yet
OMG Zubat! level 12 Boobat, Zoobat, Goobat whatever the heck its name is. Just using it because I like the way it looks, but it's a really great early game Psychic type. It's also better than the pigeon dove thing at being your stable flying type
Sparks level 11 electric zebra: Just keep him around for the flying types. Not a terrible Pokemon, but it took him way too long to learn an electric move

So far my impressions:
It feels like Pokemon, but at the same time not exactly Pokemon. It's pretty fresh and different, and I love the lack of classic Pokemon. I love the old Pokemon, but not seeing them lets me focus on exploring the new Pokemon. These Pokemon are pretty interesting and have a lot of character.

The production value of this game is also really large. The animation is smoother and it just feels like a "richer" game than the fourth generation. I really couldn't believe the game is on the same system as Diamond and Pearl. They felt like ages ago.

I am looking forward to Radical Ruby and Super Sapphire. Black and White kind of feel more like RS, while DP felt more like GS. Maybe it's because it's a whole new land with absolutely no old Pokemon.

In a random trade I traded a level 2 yorkie dog thing for a level 39 cool crocodile who just doesn't seem to care what you think about him. I'm not using him though, since that would basically be cheating.

Izayoi

Banned
shahkur said:
My fiend code is 3181-5320-5808 Pokemon White
Add it to the Google Docs spreadsheet in the OP.

Just click the button on the bottom left and fill out the form.

It'll just get lost otherwise.

Woffls

Uhh, does anyone happen to have a spare Celebi and need a Shiny Raikou or Suicune? Apparently we only need one of the shinies to get Zoroark? Knew I should have driven the 120 miles to get Celebi at the event >_< I'd have gotten two as well.

Also, is my pal code going to change when I start playing on my 3DS?

Woffls said:
Uhh, does anyone happen to have a spare Celebi and need a Shiny Raikou or Suicune? Apparently we only need one of the shinies to get Zoroark? Knew I should have driven the 120 miles to get Celebi at the event >_< I'd have gotten two as well.

I was under the impression you only needed one of the dogs or celebi

Nayishiki

Woffls said:

I can give you Celebi and Raikou.

balladofwindfishes said:
I was under the impression you only needed one of the dogs or celebi

You need celebi for Zorua and one of the dogs for Zoroark.

Suairyu

Banned
Success!

Now that it is night time, Drilbur is spawning in shaking earth. My hunch was right.

Thank you, GameFreak, for using logic with your designs! (up until vanille, anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom