• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
btkadams said:
im assuming you havent spoiled yourself on the final forms ;) the final form of the Baconator is really cool looking!
I've been trying really hard not to spoil myself on anything.

Diamond was somewhat ruined for me because I already knew everything. This time I'm taking it nice and slow and enjoying all of the Pokemon. I like that I have to figure out what type a Pokemon is, what type new moves are, and all that fun stuff. It feels like a fresh game to me, since there's not much in it that's old, other than the basic idea of the game.

I'm back to using Pokemon I like the way they look, or if they impress me some how (like the surprisingly powerful caterpillar thing). For Diamond it was a race to find the Pokemon I knew exactly were the best to use, and basically felt like I was just going through the regular motions as I was playing it.

Pokemon is nice because there's no missable content, so it's not like me just exploring is going to lead me to miss something.

I also downloaded a ticket, but I didn't look anything up. I want to be surprised when I get a little side-quest somewhere along the line.

I just wish the Pokemon names were easier to remember. What happened to Charcoal + Salamander, or Geo + Dude. Now we have weird stuff like Ottowattowaterpokemon and others.

Stuff like Venipede, Archeops and Watchog are great names. Oshawott is not. What is that, some kind of oil monopoly british fellow or something (eh wott)?
Oh wait, it's an otter wearing a seashell bra. Silly me.
Oceanott would have been a better name and had the same meaning. No need to make things sound fancy. We're all used to Pokemon names as being one word + another word with basically no variation at all (90% of the last 4 generations' pokemon follow this pattern).

It's like they went "hey Pikachu, Lapras, Suicune, Kyogre, Rayquaza and Dialga were some epic names, let's make an entire generation of Pokemon with names like those!"

Glix

balladofwindfishes said:
I've been trying really hard not to spoil myself on anything.

Diamond was somewhat ruined for me because I already knew everything. This time I'm taking it nice and slow and enjoying all of the Pokemon. I like that I have to figure out what type a Pokemon is, what type new moves are, and all that fun stuff. It feels like a fresh game to me, since there's not much in it that's old, other than the basic idea of the game.

I'm back to using Pokemon I like the way they look, or if they impress me some how (like the surprisingly powerful caterpillar thing). For Diamond it was a race to find the Pokemon I knew exactly were the best to use, and basically felt like I was just going through the regular motions as I was playing it.

Pokemon is nice because there's no missable content, so it's not like me just exploring is going to lead me to miss something.

I also downloaded a ticket, but I didn't look anything up. I want to be surprised when I get a little side-quest somewhere along the line.

Thats awesome. It's even in the little slip in the case, you did a great job not spoiling yourself!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Does this cart have WPA support? Was thinking about picking it up when I get my 3DS, but lack of online might kill it for me

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
zoner said:
Does this cart have WPA support? Was thinking about picking it up when I get my 3DS, but lack of online might kill it for me
WPA is supported on the DSi/3DS.

Mafro

zoner said:
Yeah it does. It's great being able to play online without messing about with my Wi-Fi USB connector.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How is the pacing for this? I only ever finished LeafGreen, and the few times I tried to get into Sapphire, and Soul Silver, I end up quitting merely an hour in due to how sluggish battles are. I just couldn't stand gazing into my DS watching the battles unfold for seemingly ages(that text crawl...ugh).

Has BW cleaned up any of that?

Brandon F said:
How is the pacing for this? I only ever finished LeafGreen, and the few times I tried to get into Sapphire, and Soul Silver, I end up quitting merely an hour in due to how sluggish battles are. I just couldn't stand gazing into my DS watching the battles unfold for seemingly ages(that text crawl...ugh).

Battles are faster and text is at a good speed.

Firestorm

Brandon F said:

Disable animations.

Teknoman

Damn, that first gym battle was right down to the wire! Just found my first rare pokemon grass patch too. :D almost broke my neck trying to run over there in fear that it would vanish.

Brandon F said:

B/W is really fast in that regard. Also set the text to fast for even faster...text.

survivor

Banned
Teknoman said:
Damn, that first gym battle was right down to the wire! Just found my first rare pokemon grass patch too. :D almost broke my neck trying to run over there in fear that it would vanish.

B/W is really fast in that regard. Also set the text to fast for even faster...text.
What do you mean by rare pokemon grass patch?

Brandon F said:

Uhh, did we play the same Sapphire? Sapphire is as fast as any RPG out there. There's no way you could possibly group the DS games (haven't played BW) with R/S when it came to speed

KingK

ivysaur12 said:
Fuck midterms, I'm getting this tomorrow.

Seriously, fuck midterms so much. I really need to do well, especially on physics, but how am I supposed to concentrate when there's a new Pokemon game?

Suairyu

Banned
Brandon F said:

Battle animation can be fully disabled or sped through by jamming 'A'. Battle animation is faster anyway, regardless, and there are less pop-up texts telling you every small detail you already knew.

Out of battle pacing is superb. You get a Pokédex much faster than Red and Gold at least (it's all I know!) and you'll have a somewhat balanced party in less than an hour, no matter what starter you choose.

The ability to run is obtained before you reach the first gym.

All in all, it gets you into the action very quickly, and the action itself has had a massive speed boost.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Teknoman said:
Toys R Us has a buy 1 get one 50% off on all DS games. So if you need to get a version for you and someone else (or both for yourself), give it a shot. Hopefully they'll still have the game when I get there.
Thanks a lot for this info. Now I gotta wait another day to pick up my Black! But I'll be getting DQ9 half off so it's all good. :D

survivor

Banned
MatthewB92 said:
Randomly a patch or grass will shake and it has a rare pokemon in it.
Oh I see. I didn't notice any shaking grass before. Gonna be on the lookout now.

And also fuck Victini. That fucker just won't get caught.

Suairyu

Banned
MatthewB92 said:
Randomly a patch of grass will shake and it has a rare pokemon in it.

Edit: Second Badge :D
Not quite random. Every 200 steps you will get one and there's a chance to get one in less, I've had two appear steps apart.

Easiest way to farm it is just find an open patch of ground next to a grassy area, then run back and forth with a range of about 5 steps either way. Won't take long to spawn the shaking grass!

For caves, use repel. Stock up. Repel keeps regular encounters away, but you can still have shaking-ground encounters if you go onto the shaking tile. Swirling dust represents the shaking ground there. Only Pokémon you can catch from shaking ground in a cave early on is Drilbur, and he only comes out at night.

On another note

Thinking of giving HM Strength to Throh. Is it fairly good in battle to justify the move slot loss?

zumphry

Banned
Heh, when looking through my games I found FireRed, Emerald, and Diamond....on the night I'm starting White. What sucks is that I was planning on replaying Emerald after SoulSilver and then buying Platinum after that.

Oh well.

Xena

How many pokémon are there to get caught in each version (white/black)? I haven't played pokémon in a while and I also wonder, can you catch (not trade) pokémon from previous games or only new ones made for this particular version?
If I don't trade and just play single player, how many can I get in total?
Lastly, does my deposit pc have a limit or can I put in there however many I want?

PS_GUY

seabee: You can catch some Pokemon from previous gen after you complete the main storyline I believe. I know you can catch some previous gen Pokemon in the White Forest.

Can anyone suggest to me a good Pokemon to use as a HM slave? I have a Pokemon to use for Surf and Fly already but need one for Cut, Rock Smash and all those other useless HMs.

Well I got 3 badges, at 7 1/2 hours.

Snivy 23
Scraggy 22
Zorua 20
Joltik 26 (I forgot that Grass is weak against Bug...Bug Bite pwned Leavanny right after everything else fainted)

Have Munna & Victini with me temporarily until I can get a Darumaka and something else.

Xena

PS_GUY said:
seabee: You can catch some Pokemon from previous gen after you complete the main storyline I believe. I know you can catch some previous gen Pokemon in the White Forest.
Thanks for your response! So you don't know how many total I can collect without any trading occurring?

Busaiku

Well, just starting up now.
My Gamestop's Celebi station wasn't working so I'm out of luck there...

Is Zorua still obtainable through breeding?

Suairyu

Banned
o god what am i doing why am i obsessed by this silly musical theatre dress up thing why do i want the approving comments of the audience regarding my pokémon's outfit whyyyyy

btkadams

flyinpiranha said:
Is this shaking grass thing for rare's in all Pokemon games or just Black/White? If so I feel stupid haha.
i think it happened in diamond/platinum/pearl. i'm not positive though.

Teknoman

flyinpiranha said:
Is this shaking grass thing for rare's in all Pokemon games or just Black/White? If so I feel stupid haha.

I think just black and white. Apparently the same thing can occur in caves and while surfing/diving(?). TMs being infinite is such a welcome change. Really takes a load off your mind.

Max

I am not Max
The differences puzzle me, no idea what rotation battles are and what the white forest and black city are, so how am I to choose? :(

Ondore

Amazing how the shaking grass rarity works - I got a Musharna in the Dream Lot on the second try, but I've spent over an hour outside Pinwheel Forest looking for Sawk and no dice.

Dewott 20
Herdier/Musharna/Blitzle 19
(space reserved for Lilligant/fighting type)

Suairyu

Banned
So, I'm surprised by the story telling in this game. It's super saccharine and very basic, of course, but the following things have really surprised me given that it's a Pokémon game:

(Spoilers for Nimbasa city)
*Team Plasma's prominent involvement in the story and them having an almost-justifiable reason. Them showing up in each town is more than just a minor inconvenience, it really adds something.
*N's reveal as the King. Making "being the very best" mean something more than just because takes Pokémon outside of the wish fulfillment type and into something a little bit more meaningful.
*Bianca's confrontation with her father. Learning how to grow up and when to defy your parents are actually really important life lessons. Surprised Nintendo went down this route. It works, just about, despite being cheesy and underdeveloped.
*All the gym leaders knowing each other and being friends. Makes so much sense and adds great atmosphere

Ondore said:
Amazing how the shaking grass rarity works - I got a Musharna in the Dream Lot on the second try, but I've spent over an hour outside Pinwheel Forest looking for Sawk and no dice.
All Pokémon have different spawn rates. I fought about 20 Audinos before I saw a Sawk and I haven't seen one since.

Teknoman said:
I think just black and white. Apparently the same thing can occur in caves and while surfing/diving(?). TMs being infinite is such a welcome change. Really takes a load off your mind.
Yep, infinite TMs feel like something that always should have happened.
It made you want to hoard them until the end of the game when they were one time use. Rewards from gyms would go into your bag never to be looked at again until the Pokemon League was over and you wanted to seriously train a "final" team.

Movesets feel much more dynamic now, since you can mix and match different TMs.

Shed_a_Ninja said:
Is MILD NATURE a good nature for the Snivy line?
Well, Mild raises Sp. Attack at the expense of Defense, and Snivy's line has more special moves than physical, so you might go with that.

In that case, if you didn't care about physical moves, you could always go for Modest.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Izayoi said:
How do I fix my entry in the friend code list if I fucked up?

I'm most definitely not GMT +8.

I can do it for you. Is that the only thing you wanna change?

Teknoman

balladofwindfishes said:
Yep, infinite TMs feel like something that always should have happened.
It made you want to hoard them until the end of the game when they were one time use. Rewards from gyms would go into your bag never to be looked at again until the Pokemon League was over and you wanted to seriously train a "final" team.

Movesets feel much more dynamic now, since you can mix and match different TMs.

Yeah, I still have a load of em on my Soul Silver.

The new menu/2nd screen/maps look so modern. Even the PCs feel more modern with the mouse pointer icon implemented. The overall presentation in B/W is really top notch.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Teknoman said:
Yeah, I still have a load of em on my Soul Silver.

The new menu/2nd screen/maps look so modern. Even the PCs feel more modern with the mouse pointer icon implemented. The overall presentation in B/W is really top notch.

Agreed. It's all very fluid.

Acrylic7

HA!.
you can use repels once you see a Dust cloud. I am awesome.
To bad its a male. I always go for a party full of chicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom